USWNT v England (SBC), March 2, pre/pbp/post

Discussion in 'USA Women: News and Analysis' started by Semblance17, Feb 27, 2019.

1. Semblance17

Semblance17 Member+

United States
    Apr 27, 2013
    Lighthouse Point, FL
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I wasn't planning on starting this thread so early, but- what the heck: onto the next.
    Screen Shot 2019-02-27 at 9.18.22 PM.png

MiLLeNNiuM repped this.
  2. jackdoggy

jackdoggy Member+

May 16, 2014
    Big D
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Never to early to start a Match thread, well unofficially, 1,000 hours out is the prescribe limit. Highlight from tonight was getting a hi-five from Jodi and Lucy at the half of our Match.

Semblance17 repped this.
  3. FanOfFutbol

FanOfFutbol Member+

The Mickey Mouse Club or The breakfast Club
    May 4, 2002
    Limbo
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    If the two teams play as they did in the first round I predict England 4-2 US.

But I doubt that both will play as earlier and the US will improve dramatically so my actual prediction is US 3-1 England.

Japan probably woke the US up and we all know what often happens when you kick a sleeping dog.

4. L'orange

L'orange Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Jul 20, 2017
    I had seen Lucy Bronze, England's outside back, play before but hadn't paid much attention to her. I watched her a bit more closely yesterday, because of her reputation, and wow, she is an excellent athlete: She's got some size and ball skills, and runs very well--gets around the field exceptionally well. Impressive player. She committed a (questionable) foul that gave Brazil its first (and only) goal on a penalty kick yesterday, but she's good.

England have a defender, Greenwood, who I'm quite sure was wearing heavy black eye shadow yesterday in the game. Very strange. I can't imagine how anyone would want to wear heavy makeup while playing a high-intensity sport like soccer, but I think she does. I thought I noticed the same Ariana Grande-like eyes on another English player, thought not quite as noticeable as Greenwood's. I could be wrong, but black around a player's eyes is fairly noticeable.

5. FanOfFutbol

FanOfFutbol Member+

May 4, 2002
    Limbo
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    It is quite clear that Naeher is the goalkeeper that, baring injury, the US will be using through the World Cup. But she really does not need more playing time except enough to keep her edge true. She is clearly not getting better and has not been for the last year.

The other keepers do need playing time to get an in game feel for the defense, just in case.

The starter for this match should be one of the two subs and the starter for the next should be the other and the three keepers should rotate starts for the remaining matches set up so that Naeher can play the last two.

Having substitute keepers that have not recently played with the full team at least a couple of times is just risking too much going into the World Cup.

Keepers can be match ready just from practice BUT their interaction with the team will not be match ready unless they play with the team in a match situation. This is needed both for the keepers and for the team.

jnielsen, Semblance17 and blissett repped this.
  6. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Interestingly, this is how Japan always used to approach friendly tournaments as Algarve Cup in the latest years. Not sure if we'll do the same in this SheBelieves Cup, because the two other GKs that most likely will be brought to WWC, Yamashita and Ikeda, were left home with slight injuries. But, since the third GKs spot is far from being defined, I wouldn't be sursprised if Takakura would want to rotate all the three GKs anyway, to see what reserve GKs brought here in USA, Takenaka and Saitoh, can offer, just in case they're needed in a WWC perspective.

7. taosjohn

taosjohn Member+

Dec 23, 2004
    taos,nm
    Gee, too bad we don't have an experienced coach who knows all these keepers and could make an informed decision as to whether that is neeedful...

8. FanOfFutbol

FanOfFutbol Member+

May 4, 2002
    Limbo
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    While I defend a lot of what our current coach does about the team I think she has been badly mishandling the keepers. I do not think that, right now, our backups are ready to play in an important match against a team that will test them. I also do not think our starter is far enough better than the backups to even remotely justify playing her exclusively.

MiLLeNNiuM and jnielsen repped this.
  9. taosjohn

taosjohn Member+

Dec 23, 2004
    taos,nm
    Yes.

But you've been hammering this point to death from my POV, and sooner or later I'm gonna come back with "Why do you think the reader is going to trust your judgement over that of a coach who has, y'know, WON A WORLD CUP."

10. FanOfFutbol

FanOfFutbol Member+

May 4, 2002
    Limbo
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    I do not really care who "trusts" my judgement and I do not believe that the staff at US soccer will at all be influenced by anything I, or anyone else, says on these boards. They would not be in the position they are in without HUGE egos and those with that kind of egos pick the people they will listen to. I simply express the opinions that I have about the teams I am most interested in and people can take those opinions for exactly what they are.

BUT just because a person is in authority and has had success does not mean they cannot be horribly wrong and I believe that the way the keepers of the US Women's National teams have been handled is horribly wrong. We have been lucky, in the past, with clear number one keepers but we are not in that situation now. The apparent difference between number 1 and 3 (possibly even 4 or 5) is quite small and that should make the drive to have a strong rotation nearly overwhelming but the keepers are being handled like Naeher is a whole lot better than the others.

I guess I do hammer on the keeper situation a lot but it is an area where I have my greatest experience and so I post about, mostly, what I know best.

11. jackdoggy

jackdoggy Member+

May 16, 2014
    Big D
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    D-A-T-E-L-I-N-E...Nashville - Unlike 3 years ago, no opposing Teams on my flight, no visiting Teams in my Hotel. Fear not my little soccer buddies, on Match Day Eve, the lack of extraneous situations has allowed me to concentrate on other pressing matters like hydration.
    For us eternal optimists, there is always:
    1) no fear of peaking to early before the WC.
    2) the coaches are not revealing their secret WC strategy as of yet.
    Without a doubt, Lucy and Marcelo are the 2 best outside backs in the World....please accept this as Gospel, no arguments will be tolerated:D. And Steph has turned into a real Brickwall/Rock back there. Perhaps it is time to unleash the fury of Hurricane Christen.
    In the words of that infamous arena announcer from the 70's - - - "You wanted the best and you've got the best.......the hottest Team in the World.........ENGLAND!!
    At 4:30 on March 2, 2019, 23 awesome women will pull on the U.S. Jersey and represent their country....I need that more than I need oxygen.

jnielsen repped this.
  12. zdravstvuyte

zdravstvuyte Member

Aston Villa
    United States
    Jul 26, 2018
    Back on tour !!!
    I get to watch the match in my local pub... so I’m in enemy territory :ROFLMAO:
    Great to see our ladies wearing these ‘Honoring Women’ jerseys ... some of their choices though ???

WiminzSoccerRocks repped this.
  13. Kakeru

Kakeru Member+

Manchester United
    Japan
    Feb 22, 2016
    Montréal, QC, Canada
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    Can't catch Fox in my list of channels. :( Anyone with a link to a good stream would be a savior.

14. Semblance17

Semblance17 Member+

United States
    Apr 27, 2013
    Lighthouse Point, FL
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  15. Smallchief

Smallchief Member+

Oct 27, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Pugh in the midfield again????

Glad to see Daly with a start for England. And Bronze in the midfield? Hmmm....

WiminzSoccerRocks repped this.
  16. FanOfFutbol

FanOfFutbol Member+

May 4, 2002
    Limbo
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Franch is starting! I got my wish as the backups need a LOT more playing time. Now I just hope things do not go horribly wrong.

blissett and Semblance17 repped this.
  17. McSkillz

McSkillz Member+

ANGEL CITY FC, UCLA BRUINS
    United States
    Nov 22, 2014
    Los Angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    FRANCH.

jnielsen and Semblance17 repped this.
  18. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    Game on.

19. McSkillz

McSkillz Member+

ANGEL CITY FC, UCLA BRUINS
    United States
    Nov 22, 2014
    Los Angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I guess Lorde is going to score a goal. I guess technically "wambach" can score a goal and get 100 again ;)

20. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    Nearly a US goal in the opening minute. The scorebug disappeared.

21. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    Bad goalkeeping saved off the line on the corner.

22. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    Another corner already coming...

23. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    This should work Kakeru. Works for me.

24. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    I know names don't mean anything and players are identified by number, but I'm not a fan of this WHM name tribute stuff on game uniforms.

Lookingforleftbacks repped this.
  25. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    Rose looks like she is returning to the game after taking time for what was knee to knee or something.