USWNT U-20 CONCACAF

Discussion in 'USA Women: News and Analysis' started by Klingo3034, Feb 21, 2020.

1. jackdoggy

jackdoggy Member+

May 16, 2014
    Big D
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    US women dominate even when you’re at 30,000 feet.

2. FanOfFutbol

FanOfFutbol Member+

The Mickey Mouse Club or The breakfast Club
    May 4, 2002
    Limbo
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    She is good but who, at least before the Olympics, should she take playing time from? It does not look to me like she is good enough to displace any of the probable players going to the Olympics or anyone in the four or five spots that might miss the cut. There is plenty of time after the Olympics and before the next WWC to get her, or anybody else from the U20 level or below, playing time with the senior team.

Now is not the time to bring in new blood unless it is a near certainty that the new blood will fit into the senior team right away. I do not think that Fishel is that good, yet.

3. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  4. lil_one

lil_one Member+

Nov 26, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It is crazy how U20 WWC qualifying in CONCACAF is more difficult than it is for the senior teams. I'm not speaking about the quality of the teams, just the expanded field and the scheduling (it's a lot of soccer in a short period of time and an extra round). Also its a bit odd to meet a team from your group in the semifinals; why didn't advancing teams go to opposite sides of the bracket?

5. FanOfFutbol

FanOfFutbol Member+

May 4, 2002
    Limbo
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Because three teams advanced out of each group and there are only two sides of the bracket. I do "think" they arranged it so that the semis are the earliest that two teams from the same group could meet.

BostonRed repped this.
  6. lil_one

lil_one Member+

Nov 26, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Understood, but at least some of them (maybe #1 and #2) could have still gone to opposite sides like we see happen in the WWC when some groups have 3 teams advancing (some go to opposite sides; some have to stay on the same side in the WWC). I get that its harder with a field of 20 or 24 to make a bracket, but none of them here go to opposite sides. Just odd.

Plus, with a field of 20, some teams went directly into the R16 didn't play in the group stage. I wonder if the late confirmation of Costa Rica and Panama as hosts and not participating messed it all up. Was this tournament always supposed to have a round of 16? (I'm honestly not sure what the plan/schedule was before Costa Rica and Panama no longer needed to participate.) A field of 20 is just awkward, and a big jump from previous tournaments that only had 8 participants. It would have probably been better to have expanded to a field of 16 and drop the round of 16, imo.

In any case, and probably more importantly, this tournament has a brutal schedule with most games only having a day in between. I guess its good that they're young and used to scheduling like that from college and youth club games.

7. McSkillz

McSkillz Member+

ANGEL CITY FC, UCLA BRUINS
    United States
    Nov 22, 2014
    Los Angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah like why is the U20 WWC CONCACAF TOURNAMENT so much more expanded and dramatic than the senior tournament? I was thinking, wow this feels like an actual legitimate tournament with 24 teams competing and rounds of 16 and yada yada yada. The senior squad had like what? only 3 games to prove they qualified?

8. lil_one

lil_one Member+

Nov 26, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In the do-or-die game, the US is currently up 4-0 and Briana Pinto has a hat trick (in 20 minutes). Its almost halftime.

TimB4Last repped this.
  9. FanOfFutbol

FanOfFutbol Member+

May 4, 2002
    Limbo
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    She should have four. She missed a prefect setup for a header. Rodman actually was more valuable as she assisted on two of the goals and scored one more and should have had another assist on the miss by Pinto. She also tracked back and played exemplary defense when needed which was not often at all.

The Dominican Republic is playing a bit better in the second half but they still have shown no real threat to the US goal. But they are approaching about 30 minutes, 1st and 2nd half, without giving up another goal.

10. lil_one

lil_one Member+

Nov 26, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You spoke too soon. ;) Mia Fishel gets one. 5-0 in the 57'.

11. FanOfFutbol

FanOfFutbol Member+

May 4, 2002
    Limbo
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Rodman sets up another goal. She will not get the assist because the first shot was saved but it was Rodman that made the goal happen. That means that of the 5 goals the US has scored so far Roadman has been involved directly in 4. If she continues to develop, she is age eligible for the next U20 WWC, she could be, in a few years, the assist machine that the senior squad needs desperately.

As I typed this she scores another and now has 2 goals and 3 assists. Now she is subbed out. I guess to get her rest time so she will be fresh for the next match.

Mills repped this.
  12. FanOfFutbol

FanOfFutbol Member+

May 4, 2002
    Limbo
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    This ref will not call much of anything except nothing fouls in a position that does not matter. The US was clearly fouled in the box but the ref made no call. As I have said before, this is CONCACAF so bad refereeing is to be expected.

13. FanOfFutbol

FanOfFutbol Member+

May 4, 2002
    Limbo
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Actually I spoke too late the last goal of the first half was scored at about the 20 minute mark so they went without scoring for 25 minutes in the first half and then for 12 more in the second for a total of 37 minutes so it was longer than the 30 minutes I mentioned. That is just unacceptable. :ROFLMAO::devilish::sneaky::rolleyes:

14. FanOfFutbol

FanOfFutbol Member+

May 4, 2002
    Limbo
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Well it is over 6-0 for the US and it was not that close. MVP for me goes to Rodman.

15. Mills

Mills Member

Aug 23, 2019
    This is the best U20W roster I've seen in a very long time, if not THE best.
    I can see a half dozen players making the full USWNT roster in time.

16. FanOfFutbol

FanOfFutbol Member+

May 4, 2002
    Limbo
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Originally posted to the wrong thread sorry:
    ----------------------------------------------------------------
    Mexico advances and books their spot in the U20 WWC and the meaningless final against the US. This match showed Haiti's one real weakness was at goalkeeper. She let in the equalizer and she saved no shots in the shootout. In fact on two of them she barley moved. Of course the two players for Haiti that missed, one saved and one just missed, did not help. PK final 4-2 for Mexico.

17. Cliveworshipper

Cliveworshipper Member+

Dec 3, 2006
    #42 Cliveworshipper, Mar 6, 2020
    Last edited: Mar 6, 2020
    players from the 2008 u20 team actually had uswnt careers. Including Naeher, Klingenberg, Leroux, and Morgan. A Couple more has full team call ups. Hey had one thing the current squad doesn’t have yet.

the 2010 team had Dunn, Mewis, Nairn, Leroux, Short, and Franch.

te 2002 team had Harris,Buehler,Osborne,Chalupney, HAO, and Tarpley.

looks like par for the course.

18. lil_one

lil_one Member+

Nov 26, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A couple other U20 WWC squads could make similar claims.

2002 team members (U19) with USWNT careers/caps: Harris, Buehler, Osborne, Fletcher (1 cap), Chalupny, Huffman (1 cap), O'Reilly, Tarpley, Woznuk (10 caps)

2012 team members with USWNT careers/caps: Dunn, Brian, Ohai (3 caps), Ertz, Sam Mewis plus a few others who I believe have been called into a camp

Cliveworshipper repped this.
  19. Cliveworshipper

Cliveworshipper Member+

Dec 3, 2006
    #44 Cliveworshipper, Mar 6, 2020
    Last edited: Mar 6, 2020
    Probably more significant thing about the 2008 u20 World Cup is the players who elected to stay home to play NCAA, including Cheney, Press, and O’Hara. Include several UNC players ( Macdonald, Heath, et al.)

20. cpthomas

cpthomas BigSoccer Supporter

Portland Thorns
    United States
    Jan 10, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Factoid: Woznuk, Sinclair, Rapinoe, and Steph Lopez Cox were college teammates.

21. Mills

Mills Member

Aug 23, 2019
    #46 Mills, Mar 8, 2020
    Last edited: Mar 8, 2020
    I must admit, that in my mind I had a higher bar set than simply considering full National Team call ups or players who only played in a few friendlies.

It'll be 10-15 years before we can come back to this conversation, but this year's squad has been very dominant --> 40 goals with 0 conceded. This year's squad also handed Canada their worst loss versus the USA in the history of this competition by 3 goals, all other previous wins were by only 1 goal.

When I look at this U-20 roster I predict more than half the roster will seriously contribute to the full NT. Right now, I think the 2008 roster.has been the most successful at the full NT level, even though they lost 0-1 to Canada in the final, which is about when I started following WoSo.

The match against Mexico today should be a good one and I cannot wait to see how the USA will perform. Here's a link to the match (1:00 pm ET / 10:00 am PT):

Good point.

jackdoggy repped this.
  22. jackdoggy

jackdoggy Member+

May 16, 2014
    Big D
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A US Women’s doubleheader.

Me likey March 8, 2020.

23. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  24. FanOfFutbol

FanOfFutbol Member+

May 4, 2002
    Limbo
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Mexico scores first. The goal was the direct result of weak defending. The US appears uninterested so far. That is understandable due to the meaningless nature of this final. But it looks a bit like Mexico may have made a mistake by waking the US ladies up.

25. FanOfFutbol

FanOfFutbol Member+

May 4, 2002
    Limbo
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Rodman equalizes. It did not take long at all. So far, as in the last match, Rodman is the best player on the field.