USWNT to Europe 2021

Discussion in 'USA Women: News and Analysis' started by lil_one, Mar 23, 2021.

1. kolabear

kolabear Member+

Nov 10, 2006
    los angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Good points.
    Has the US looked good so far in the Vlatko era? Yes. The US has been dynamic. Who's been a constant starter throughout that time? Lynn Williams.
    We all wish she could shoot better but it's a dynamic team with her — and it's been pretty clear that Vlatko likes the tactical flexibility of having 2 or 3 forwards who can interchange positions during the match (eg Press who can play left, center, right although she 's most consistent on the left; Williams who can play left, center, right, although she's most consistent on the right)

You know who else isn't a great shooter? Heath.

Williams isn't the player you'd look to who can put the team on her shoulders when they're bogged down. Guess what, neither has Heath. The last 6 years that player has been either Carli Lloyd or Megan Rapinoe for the most part.

The US has been very dynamic under Vlatko. The main danger is occasional breakdowns on defense leading to counters. It partly come from playing so ambitiously with so many players pushing forward. It comes from an attacking attitude (but it sure makes for a fun game) with players thinking of attacking and sometimes getting careless (such as Horan's backpass against Sweden which almost led to a Swedon goal just before half). But even watching a subpar game against a strong Sweden team, I see how dynamic and dangerous the US team currently is. Only a top team could've gotten the ball in so many promising places against a good team like Sweden who was playing well and playing smart.

lil_one, West Ender, jackdoggy and 4 others repped this.
  2. WoSoFan

WoSoFan Member

Dec 23, 2017
    Set-back on Tobin Heath injury situation

West Ender repped this.
  3. Klingo3034

Klingo3034 Member+

Dallas FC
    United States
    Oct 11, 2019
    That sucks! But at the same time NWSL Angel City?

4. NCChiFan

NCChiFan Member

NC Courage
    United States
    Feb 19, 2021
    She might be the fastest forward, but I'd lay money betting Rose is faster. Also, I said I would like to see the experiment, ala pre Olympics. There is no telling if Williams would even consider playing Defense. No clue. By contrast, I do know Dunn can play a forward position. Actually, if something serious happens up front, you could sub Davidson for Dunn and move Dunn up top.

Edit: Bad news on Tobin. Could mean good news for Either Williams or Lloyd or both... >shrugs<

5. NCChiFan

NCChiFan Member

NC Courage
    United States
    Feb 19, 2021
    Damn.

6. hotjam2

hotjam2 Member+

Nov 23, 2012
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Alex Morgan's every touch vs France

7. taosjohn

taosjohn Member+

Dec 23, 2004
    taos,nm
    Boy, she had no problem drawing two every touch, did she?

NCChiFan repped this.
  8. NCChiFan

NCChiFan Member

NC Courage
    United States
    Feb 19, 2021
    Sure did feel good to see her make that far sideline sprint with ball up the field past the two defenders.

Klingo3034 and West Ender repped this.
  9. RalleeMonkey

RalleeMonkey Member+

Aug 30, 2004
    here
    Completely agree about Horan/Lloyd.

10. RalleeMonkey

RalleeMonkey Member+

Aug 30, 2004
    here
    I've been advocating rotating Rose through the wing spots, along with the 8/10 spots on the Olympics.

11. WoSoFan

WoSoFan Member

Dec 23, 2017
    I am not sure Lavelle could handle the abuse Morgan takes if moved into a wing spot!

jnielsen repped this.
  12. RalleeMonkey

RalleeMonkey Member+

Aug 30, 2004
    here
    I don't think she's as durable as Alex, but Alex doesn't play wing. And, I'm not saying move Rose to wing. I'm saying create a rotation where she plays 2 games at the 8/10 spot, and a game at the wing. All of the players will have to sit a game to rest, because if the tight schedule. So, that would allow Sam and Lindsay to get a game off. And, whomever plays r/w to get a game off.

13. Disapproving Hippo

Manchester United
    United States
    Jan 17, 2021
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's 50/50 if I'm being neutral. Half legit abuse and half aggrandized. With Lavelle, USWNT should provide her a personal trainer and dietitian. They have a coveted one of a kind player and any investment is really worth it.

kolabear and West Ender repped this.
  14. NCChiFan

NCChiFan Member

NC Courage
    United States
    Feb 19, 2021
    Horan is not a 9 Vladko would ever use. She is way to slow for his pressure on the ball philosophy Vlad requires up top. In fact, if there is a reason she isn't starting in midfield, that's it. Lloyd runs her butt off when she is at the 9. In fact, I would go so far as to say, Horan is the slowest player on the roster. I love her game. Everything positive said about her... Her field IQ, her passing ability, her ability to protect the ball when she has it, her header, but she has that one glaring error.

jnielsen and West Ender repped this.
  15. hotjam2

hotjam2 Member+

Nov 23, 2012
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    in their big Champions League game against PSG today, Macario got to start for Lyon & scored in 4 minutes, but her team lost
    for anybody that wants to watch, here's the replay

outside63, kolabear and Klingo3034 repped this.
  16. Thomsen

Thomsen Member+

Aug 6, 2016
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    I watched part of the game against Sweden, and I was shocked seeing the likes of Lloyd, Sauerbrunn, etc. still playing! still going strong and won't retire I see

I might cheer for US in the next WC because Julie Ertz is a terrific player and really became a fan of Sam Mewis in France two years ago :whistling:

outside63, West Ender and Klingo3034 repped this.