USWNT to Europe 2021

Discussion in 'USA Women: News and Analysis' started by lil_one, Mar 23, 2021.

1. Disapproving Hippo

Manchester United
    United States
    Jan 17, 2021
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think overall her stint at City wasn't as she hoped to be unfortunately. There's only like 4 games left and I don't think she will re-sign with that team, I mean at least I hope not. She's been healthy for months so that isn't really an excuse for why she is not getting more minutes or starting. The upcoming game against Chelsea is pretty much the title decider yes and I believe Chelsea will win. City streamrolls crappy teams but folds to good teams such as Chelsea who beat them twice in a row and of course the recent CL games against Barca.

2. luvdagame

luvdagame Member+

Jul 6, 2000
    #152 luvdagame, Apr 12, 2021
    Last edited: Apr 12, 2021
    this is an important point. athleticism + dribbling skill is how you gain advantage in soccer games. especially against sweden, where we don't have any athletic advantage to speak of, dribbles/game (modern stats seem to always report this) becomes very important.

... and like you said said, we have only rose in the agility (dribbling past the opponent) department. Qwe must have at least heath as well, and also pugh (and maybe rodman, if she turns out to be any good) coming in off the bench.

yes and yes.

i slowed it down and looked carefully, and i think i agree with you. the initial foul started with kelley's left foot inside the area.

RalleeMonkey, jackdoggy and Klingo3034 repped this.
  3. jackdoggy

jackdoggy Member+

May 16, 2014
    Big D
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It’s MatchDay
    fr.jpg
    Looks like mid-40’sF with no wind or precip. However, there will be an overabundance of awesomeness on the Pitch. ESPiN2 has the coverage.

I'm truly torn - - - I have my usual feelings of euphoria that accompanies every MatchDay however, it also comes with the realization that in the last 27 Months - the Greatest Team in the Universe has played three, 3, tres Matches in La Havre, France and one, 1, uno Match in the Unofficial Home of the USWNT which we all know is the Dallas Metroplex.​
    WTH
    WTH !!!!

West Ender repped this.
  4. Klingo3034

Klingo3034 Member+

Dallas FC
    United States
    Oct 11, 2019
    Obviously the game would have been packed if no virus. The French fans wants revenge.

5. jnielsen

jnielsen Member+

May 12, 2012
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Which French players are available has been greatly affected by a covid outbreak. It probably won't be their strongest team.

West Ender repped this.
  6. hotjam2

hotjam2 Member+

Nov 23, 2012
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Except for Le Sommer, the rest of Lyon’s elite wouldn’t be there for the game. Against England, France relied heavily on PSG players; Diani, Katato, Baltimore, Moroni all impressed. But I personally don’t think the French got the balance in every position to match the US, especially with Lyon missing. All those French players I mentioned are 25 years & younger. So if they do beat us, maybe it’s about time to put our over-the-hill gang to pasture....

7. luvdagame

luvdagame Member+

Jul 6, 2000
    these are the types of young players that some are calling for on our team. no? they have athleticism, dribbling skill, and (maybe most importantly) are too young to be afraid of the uswnt.

won't be surprised if they win.

blissett repped this.
  8. hotjam2

hotjam2 Member+

Nov 23, 2012
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    I’m reading something now that the PSG coach is upset cuz he wants his players rested for a big upcoming game with Lyon in a few days, so if the French coach respects that, then their playing time will probably be significantly reduced, so dunno if France has anymore fire power to respond with

but Germany had an similar problem the other day when their entire Wolfsburg contingent was put under quarantine just hours before kickoff & responded with debut of an bunch of newbies that ended up decimating the poor Aussies/

jnielsen repped this.
  9. FanOfFutbol

FanOfFutbol Member+

The Mickey Mouse Club or The breakfast Club
    May 4, 2002
    Limbo
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    In the case of Australia they need to prepare for pretty much exactly what they will meet in order to be their best. Their coach is very good at preparing for matches BUT, in this case, what they prepared for was not what Australia faced. The system developed was not what they needed to beat or even tie the German squad they actually faced. The kids Germany rolled out played just enough different from what was expected to make the Australians seem a bit lost. Also those "kids" were pretty intense because it was their chance to show they belong on the team as starters.

Now, for the upcoming match, I believe the tie (effectively a loss) with Sweden has, I hope, made the US a bit (maybe more than a bit) angry and focused. This should give the US a boost and, maybe, produce a really good performance. If the performance against Sweden does not produce extra intensity then the US may, perhaps, need to make drastic adjustments for the future.

Yes, this is a friendly but the players should not really treat it that way. They seemed to go into the Swedish match just to play a friendly and they under performed. This match may well set the tone for all additional matches leading up to the Olympics and, maybe, for the Olympics itself.

Getting a win or loss may not matter much but how the US plays and the intensity does matter. I hope the great ladies play this one like the REALLY want to win and show what they can really do.

jnielsen repped this.
  10. zdravstvuyte

zdravstvuyte Member

Aston Villa
    United States
    Jul 26, 2018
    Back on tour !!!
    I think it will be a tougher match than Sweden tonight.
    Tougher in terms of the French attacking pace.They have speed AND coup de finesse. The England team looked like 'amatrices' against them.
    We shall see what the result of the Sweden match had on both Vlatko and the squad. Curious to see how he can or IF he can juggle the line up to address the issue.

God Speed USA.

11. NCChiFan

NCChiFan Member

NC Courage
    United States
    Feb 19, 2021
    His juggling the line up, to me, is still dependent upon who he wishes to see perform in difficult situations, not necessarily the best 11.

12. zdravstvuyte

zdravstvuyte Member

Aston Villa
    United States
    Jul 26, 2018
    Back on tour !!!
  13. NCChiFan

NCChiFan Member

NC Courage
    United States
    Feb 19, 2021
    Actually, just looked at the starting line up... It does look like the best 11 with the absence of Tobin substituting Press. Not sure how that would play out Olympic time as I could see Vladko going Press in for Alex to start. Press is more in form at the moment. With Tobin and Rapinoe at the wings... Health given.

14. hotjam2

hotjam2 Member+

Nov 23, 2012
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Only 1 of the 4 PSG top of the line players is starting(as I posted earlier that the PSG requested rest for his players) but maybe they’ll get subbed in

currently watching England play, their down vs Canada allready 0-1. Guess all that money their clubs are spending ain’t helping, lol

kolabear repped this.
  15. jackdoggy

jackdoggy Member+

May 16, 2014
    Big D
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  16. kolabear

kolabear Member+

Nov 10, 2006
    los angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #166 kolabear, Apr 13, 2021
    Last edited: Apr 13, 2021
    Eh, to almost all of you :)
    I rewatched most of US vs Sweden and though it's not good that the scoreline could easily have been Sweden 3-USA 0, considering how good Sweden is (Ranked #5 and the Bronze Medalists in the last World Cup), the US did well getting the ball into dangerous spots including the 18-yard box. Very very few teams could do that against a solid team like Sweden.

I guess I worry a little about Lynn Williams' finishing, but the US is generally a better team with her than without her, at least with Tobin Heath out injured.

Was the US suddenly a better team when she was subbed out in the 58th minute on Saturday? Only to the extent that the US, desperate to attack, began overloading the right side, tucking Press closer to the middle and sending O'Hara and Sam Mewis overlapping on the wing.

The critics had all their favorites out there for most of the last half-hour with Williams and Lloyd subbed out and Rapinoe, Morgan, and Press on the pitch, with Press switched to the right. Was Press doing things on the right that Williams wasn't ? Was there a problem solved by doing that?

Our carping as fans shows we're really spoiled. That, and there's a bias against Lynn Williams. (Wonder what that could be about)
    I saw good things from everybody against Sweden along with some not-so-good things.

Lavelle and Horan particularly looked good, but this was a game for them to shine with Sweden dropping back 5 quickly to defend. The space to operate was in front of that retreating back line.

ADD — the referee, Lina Lehtovaara (Finland) was fine and the PK seems pretty obviously the correct call. It was close, sure, but the complaints about referees in the women's game is uncalled for

lil_one and jackdoggy repped this.
  17. zdravstvuyte

zdravstvuyte Member

Aston Villa
    United States
    Jul 26, 2018
    Back on tour !!!
    Oh my god they were sandbagging against Sweden.

They’re Baaack

18. zdravstvuyte

zdravstvuyte Member

Aston Villa
    United States
    Jul 26, 2018
    Back on tour !!!
    It’s a crime France are not in the Olympics

19. Smallchief

Smallchief Member+

Oct 27, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    The US's best 11 is on the field today.

I like Williams, but she's not as good as Press (yet); I like Horan, but she's not as good as Mewis or Lavelle (who has hardly been present today, although she was the US's best against Sweden); and Lloyd is not as good as Morgan (although I've had my doubts about Morgan recently); Davidson is good, but I have more confidence in Dahlkemper.

Was that a dive by Morgan for the penalty kick? Rapinoe always seems to be able to fake the goalkeeper into going the wrong way, and then sending the ball to the opposite side.

20. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    I'm ready to fight if I see someone pulling hair. I'll take that red card. ******** that.

jackdoggy and lil_one repped this.
  21. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    Fin

2-0

Better.

22. zdravstvuyte

zdravstvuyte Member

Aston Villa
    United States
    Jul 26, 2018
    Back on tour !!!

23. NCChiFan

NCChiFan Member

NC Courage
    United States
    Feb 19, 2021
    Screwed by the wonderful Wprld Cup Schedulers... USA v France should have been a potential final matchup...

RalleeMonkey and jnielsen repped this.
  24. FawcettFan14

FawcettFan14 Member+

Mar 19, 2004
    Colorado
    And they didn't get it. :whistling:

Klingo3034 repped this.
  25. FawcettFan14

FawcettFan14 Member+

Mar 19, 2004
    Colorado
    #175 FawcettFan14, Apr 13, 2021
    Last edited: Apr 13, 2021
    After these 2 games, I continue to believe Horan could be better used as a center forward, as she was during her youth NT and PSG days. We have Ertz, Mewis, Lavelle in midfield, with some younger prospects coming up behind them. Lloyd has not been clinical up front lately. It's a controversial call, but I think Vlatko should omit her from the 18-player roster. There's no space for sentimentality with a squad that small. Carli already has 2 gold medals. Sometimes people with huge egos need a reality check.

Horan is hard to knock off the ball, is a great header, tricky with her feet, powerful shot. All things that can be utilized closer to goal. If not this year then post Olympics when the striker pool gets refreshed, I think she could find a home up there.

G: Naeher, Campbell
    D: Sauerbrunn, Dahlkemper, O'Hara, Dunn, Davidson
    M: Ertz, S. Mewis, Lavelle, K. Mewis, Macario
    F: Morgan, Press, Horan, Williams, Heath, Rapinoe

This is the Olympic roster I would take. Despite her recent injury Heath comes based on her Manchester United form. She clearly still has some left in the tank. Rapinoe is a more borderline call for me. Some games she really shows her age. Other games she is the most influential player on the pitch. I don't think Vlatko would leave both her and Lloyd at home, and Rapinoe is more valuable at this point. Only five defenders is a risk. But Ertz can always fill in back there. And Davidson would basically be a utility defender, able to play CB or LB. Not ideal but defenders rarely get subbed anyway. We need options in midfield and attack more. I guess if you take one less forward, you bring Sonnett or Purce for defensive depth.

Alternates would be: Franch, Sonnett/Krueger, Purce, Smith. Hard to see Lloyd accepting an alternate role.

jackdoggy and outside63 repped this.