USWNT sues USSF 2019 version

Discussion in 'USA Women: News and Analysis' started by lil_one, Mar 8, 2019.

1. ytrs

ytrs Member+

Jan 24, 2018
    The 28 who are being paid are the ones who opted in. That is how it should and does work in the legal world. You don't get to opt out and then expect to reap the benefits. Believe it or not, you are not the only one who understands complex litigation.

I 'discount her agency' because her of her intellect. I liked her a lot as a goalkeeper, but her off the field views dig her own hole.

duality72 and Bob Lamm repped this.
  2. ytrs

ytrs Member+

Jan 24, 2018
    Does anyone know the status of Hope's lawsuit?

3. Timon19

Timon19 Member+

Jun 2, 2007
    Akron, OH
    Boy, howdy.

4. Fanatic#88

Fanatic#88 Member

Nov 22, 2021
    Exactly and unlike the other case, Solo's case survived all the summary judgment filings.

Solo was likely approached to settle as well but isn't negotiating from a position of weakness. She knows more than we do about what is going on behind the scenes.

There are things in this recent settlement (written or verbally agreed upon) that will never come out as they are all bound by a confidentiality agreement (in all likehood). As long as the ladies are happy and were not strong armed into settling, it is good.

Don't get me wrong anytime a settlement can be reached and both parties are happy; not necessarily giddy, it is a good outcome. Litigation is very expensive for all parties.

Frankly, I was surprised at the settlement. The lack of leaked intel as to how close it was to finalizing is pretty telling about the non-disclosures signed.

I wonder if the re-emergence of the former ussoccer pres had anything to do with the timing. Or if that was put out there to get to the settlement table sooner.

Anyway, it is good PR for US Soccer. Hopefully it grows the game positively here and internationally.

Will be interesting to see how FIFA handles the ripple effects or if they will adopt some issues too, especially playing conditions and $$.

And hopefully the Team learned a lesson, if you don't like the wording of a contract, pass on signing it.

5. Bob Lamm

Bob Lamm Member

Mar 7, 2016
    New York City
    Political change depends on people standing together and solidarity. Hope Solo is obviously incapable of understanding or appreciating that. And calling the USWNT plaintiffs "a select few" is vindictive b.s.

ytrs repped this.
  6. Timon19

Timon19 Member+

Jun 2, 2007
    Akron, OH
    From the perspective of the whole of women's professional soccer, her assessment is factually correct. It may be borne of vindictiveness, given her personality, but that doesn't mean she isn't right occasionally.

7. Fanatic#88

Fanatic#88 Member

Nov 22, 2021
    You do know Solo had the guts to file first right; months before the others (their suit was dismissed and was on appeal). The others were too afraid of the Federation. It was Solo who raised the awareness of all the issues that were affecting her former teammates as well.

dark knight repped this.
  8. Bob Lamm

Bob Lamm Member

Mar 7, 2016
    New York City
    Filing first was courageous and, yes, should be remembered. But it's very, very rare that one individual creates serious social and political change all alone. For me, Solo's absolutely unnecessary, vindictive blast at the USWNT plaintiffs shows that at least in this instance she couldn't work with the women she needed to work with. And she's bitter.

Courage is crucial in political change. You're right in suggesting that. But it's not the ONLY crucial thing. Not even close.

ytrs repped this.
  9. Timon19

Timon19 Member+

Jun 2, 2007
    Akron, OH
    There's a WHOLE LOT of contexts in which this applies.

Auriaprottu repped this.
  10. puttputtfc

puttputtfc Member+

Sep 7, 1999
    She's not incapable, she has different goals.

unclesox repped this.
  11. Bob Lamm

Bob Lamm Member

Mar 7, 2016
    New York City
    You are entitled to your opinion; I stand by mine.

12. Fanatic#88

Fanatic#88 Member

Nov 22, 2021
    Of course but as an outsider, we don't know what the agreement actually says and the details (and as the Team found out previously) matter. We only know what the press release says. It was likely carefully crafted by USSoccer attys.

Solo may have an idea what was being left on the table as she was likely approached to settle as well. I can't imagine the parties did not try to clean up all loose ends. That's all.

As you noted, we are all entitled to our opinions; as is she.

13. CookieRules

CookieRules Member

N/a
    United States
    Jul 1, 2021
    why are you calling me a right wing?! Im a woman btw. Just show some consistency...if meghan has a right to speak her mind then so should hope.

14. Bob Lamm

Bob Lamm Member

Mar 7, 2016
    New York City
    Sure would be nice if you actually read what I've written and present it accurately. Earlier today, in post #1448 on this thread, I wrote: "In my view, Hope Solo has the right to state her opinion of the settlement." I added that I find her statement "awful." But, yes, Hope Solo has every right to "speak her mind," just like Megan Rapinoe does (please note correct spelling), just like you do, just like everyone here does.

Thank you for sharing your gender. I'm sorry that my guess was wrong. But I detest it when people who use fake names attack others in the public eye or not who use real, full names.

15. Timon19

Timon19 Member+

Jun 2, 2007
    Akron, OH
    Which, of course, justifies you calling people names.

16. Bob Lamm

Bob Lamm Member

Mar 7, 2016
    New York City
    LOL. You're always good at these games, Timon. (Or whatever your real name is.)

17. Timon19

Timon19 Member+

Jun 2, 2007
    Akron, OH
    Cool.

18. dark knight

dark knight Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 15, 1999
    Club:
    Leicester City FC
    He has a point - discourse is better if you don’t tilt at people calling them right wingers without basis.

Auriaprottu and Timon19 repped this.
  19. Bob Lamm

Bob Lamm Member

Mar 7, 2016
    New York City
    The vast majority of people who for years have been publicly spitting at Megan Rapinoe are right-wing, including their cult leader who thinks he's still President of the United States.

20. Timon19

Timon19 Member+

Jun 2, 2007
    Akron, OH
    Your presumption that anyone who makes an argument that resembles an argument made by Person You Don't Like is ALIGNED with said Person is a you problem.

dark knight repped this.
  21. Bob Lamm

Bob Lamm Member

Mar 7, 2016
    New York City
    Wow, Timon. I believe I understand what you're saying, but that sentence is so terribly written. Way below your usual standard. :)

yabo repped this.
  22. Timon19

Timon19 Member+

Jun 2, 2007
    Akron, OH
    It makes perfect grammatical sense given the capitalization being used (faux proper nouns).

If you'd prefer, mentally add quotes around "you" at the end for added clarity.

23. puttputtfc

puttputtfc Member+

Sep 7, 1999
    Good thing they don't post on this board.

Auriaprottu and jnielsen repped this.
  24. dark knight

dark knight Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 15, 1999
    Club:
    Leicester City FC
    Somewhat hard to separate politics from this thread but please refrain from inflammatory political commentary. We have a politics forum for a reason. And no, I’m not a right winger.

Sometimes it’s easiest to just say “my bad” and move on.

25. lil_one

lil_one Member+

Nov 26, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Update on Solo's case:

But actually it's administratively closed, for now: