USWNT sues USSF 2019 version

Discussion in 'USA Women: News and Analysis' started by lil_one, Mar 8, 2019.

1. NCChiFan

NCChiFan Member

NC Courage
    United States
    Feb 19, 2021
    Good points.

2. Number007

Number007 Member+

Santos FC
    Brazil
    Aug 29, 2018
    And you think those who made the deal have not made terrible decisions in their lifetime? We all have. Does that mean we cant have an opinion? Read what she wrote, agree or don't, but attaching it to her "history" seems pointless.

jnielsen and unclesox repped this.
  3. Smallchief

Smallchief Member+

Oct 27, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    It will be interesting to see how the players divy up the money -- and if they share it with National Team players who were not part of the suit. With Solo, for example who was not listed among the parties to the suit. And to several marginal national teamers, such as Merritt Mathias and Jess MacDonald who are listed among the 28 players bringing the suit.

ytrs repped this.
  4. CookieRules

CookieRules Member

N/a
    United States
    Jul 1, 2021
    Correction attaching it to her "personal history" is ridiculous.

5. CookieRules

CookieRules Member

N/a
    United States
    Jul 1, 2021
    Gosh i hope the current players dont cut her off or not give her her proper slice of the pie just because of personal reasons. Especially since their main argument was we deserve a higher pay because we are more successful than the men Hope Solo is a huge part of that success.

6. NCChiFan

NCChiFan Member

NC Courage
    United States
    Feb 19, 2021
    Well, by the time she reached her pinnacle in soccer she should have long learned to keep some of her thoughts to the private back rooms and not in front of the National media.

ytrs repped this.
  7. Number007

Number007 Member+

Santos FC
    Brazil
    Aug 29, 2018
    Perhaps. The cult of popularity is extremely powerful. The media play a huge hand in shaping perceptions by controlling the narrative. I will try and listen to what she says and avoid the rest of it. On this issue, she seems to have some very valid points

NCChiFan, unclesox and JanBalk repped this.
  8. puttputtfc

puttputtfc Member+

Sep 7, 1999
    Solo was not part of the lawsuit and, if memory serves, has her own suit against USSF.

9. ytrs

ytrs Member+

Jan 24, 2018
    Most people have not made her mistakes. Read up on them. Many were of criminal nature. I don't read her opinions, because she has not earned my respect.

10. ytrs

ytrs Member+

Jan 24, 2018
    What if she opted out of the lawsuit? You don't get to say no, and then yes after they settle. I don't know if this is the case, but it is possible. Be a plaintiff is not an easy road. If someone chose to not participate from the start, that is on them. Those who signed on as plaintiffs have been through a LOT.

11. Number007

Number007 Member+

Santos FC
    Brazil
    Aug 29, 2018
    Let he who is without sin cast the first stone.

12. CookieRules

CookieRules Member

N/a
    United States
    Jul 1, 2021
    You dont like Hope expressing her thoughts publicly or you dont like the subject of her thoughts? Because i dont see the same energy against rapinoe. People seem to love rapinoes big mouth even when it puts an unnecessary target on the team.

13. ytrs

ytrs Member+

Jan 24, 2018
    I do not physically abuse my juvenlie nephews, nor do I drive my employer's van while I am drunk with my significant other. Those are some pretty heavy sins.

duality72 and Bob Lamm repped this.
  14. Bob Lamm

Bob Lamm Member

Mar 7, 2016
    New York City
    What would this board be without some anonymous right-wing person (man?) trashing Megan Rapinoe for speaking out as she has? But, hey, I'm fine with saying I love Megan. I've loved her remarkable soccer career, obviously near the end. And I love her courageous political activism and leadership. She has given so much to the USWNT, to the sport of soccer, and to our country.

15. ytrs

ytrs Member+

Jan 24, 2018
    Hope Solo chose not to opt in to the lawsuit. She had an opportunity. The 'select' group of players chose to fight the good fight. She chose to sit on the sideline.

duality72 and Bob Lamm repped this.
  16. Bob Lamm

Bob Lamm Member

Mar 7, 2016
    New York City
    Exactly right.

17. lil_one

lil_one Member+

Nov 26, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    She did indeed have her own separate lawsuit. I wonder where that one stands.

Bob Lamm repped this.
  18. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    If by "sit on the sideline" you mean "pursue independent litigation" then sure.

People opt out of group and class action lawsuits all of the time. I'm not sure what you mean by "fight the good fight", but Solo didn't exactly walk away. She still has her own lawsuit that is still unresolved.

19. Lloyd Heilbrunn

Lloyd Heilbrunn Member+

Feb 11, 2002
    Jupiter, Fl.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Most lawyers will tell their clients that a fair settlement has both parties walking out of the room holding their noses...

Bob Lamm and AndyMead repped this.
  20. Disapproving Hippo

Manchester United
    United States
    Jan 17, 2021
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    But what about the bargaining agreement... I heard they will get the same as the men now so no guaranteed salary on top of all the perks?

21. ytrs

ytrs Member+

Jan 24, 2018
    She elected not to pursue this particular suit, so she has no right to attack the payment to ‘a select few’ (her words). The ‘select few’ are the one who were plaintiffs in this suit.

duality72 and taosjohn repped this.
  22. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    She has plenty of right to attack whatever she pleases. Perhaps she saw the group suit as one that was selfish and not in the interest of long-term systemic change. If so, then such an attack would be plenty justified in a "told you so" fashion. This resolution is all about getting the 28 players in the suit paid. And that money doesn't come from nowhere.

Hope Solo has done terrible and questionable things. Many I don't agree with. That said, just discounting her agency because you don't like her is a terrible hill to die on.

There are complex issues and motives at play all around here. Every party involved has made mistakes and not fully anticipated the future outcomes or consequences of their actions. Trying to somehow strip this all down to winning or losing or "how dare you" is all so tiresome.

Nuance shouldn't be something so desperately avoided.

Number007 and Timon19 repped this.
  23. Bob Lamm

Bob Lamm Member

Mar 7, 2016
    New York City
    In my view, Hope Solo has the right to state her opinion of the settlement. But I view her public statement as awful, especially right at this moment. I reject any "nuance" about that.

taosjohn and ytrs repped this.
  24. unclesox

unclesox BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 8, 2003
    209, California
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    AndyMead and ytrs repped this.
  25. puttputtfc

puttputtfc Member+

Sep 7, 1999
    What's so awful about it?