USWNT sues USSF 2019 version

Discussion in 'USA Women: News and Analysis' started by lil_one, Mar 8, 2019.

1. Yoshou

Yoshou Fan of the CCL Champ

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Let's just say that in the aftermath of the 2019 World Cup, Rapinoe has taken some extended breaks from club soccer to focus on other things.

2. NCChiFan

NCChiFan Member

NC Courage
    United States
    Feb 19, 2021
    Oh, I have no delusions about how I could contrive an equal pay scenario, but what you point out is very plausible. Certainly can't be a salary cap situation, I suppose (unless, like you propose, there is a split of the funds remaining after the year? if players get 50% of all revenue in total, lets say, so to make sure they split it up based on games suited up for and those injured?). Although that seems a bit unfair to the starters. Base it somewhat on minutes played? I don't know. Above my pay grade.

3. Kevin625

Kevin625 Member

Jan 4, 2016
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    This is not true at all.

They get paid vastly different amounts based on the type of game. There's an enormous difference between what they earn playing in Friendlies vs the much bigger bonuses they earn in World Cup Qualifying games.

This is a big part of the problem. The men play 14 WCQ games and the women play 5.

4. Yoshou

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It depends on whether the court considers WCQ and friendlies to be the same work. You are correct that the men play more WCQ than women, but if they are considered different work, that could be fine since USSF doesn't set the number of games. It would obviously, be a whole different ball of wax if they are considered the same work, then USSF would have to offer the same pay for WCQ and friendlies.

5. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Same work, same pay. The fact that there are differing amounts of work of the same type is not in USSF's control.

And let me know the next time the USWNT plays away qualifiers in Panama, Trinidad, and Mexico City.

As others have pointed out the WNT plays more Olympic and World Cup games than the men in every 4 year cycle. Both due to the excellence of the women's team and the fact that the men don't play in the Olympics. Nor do the men get the opportunity to play Olympic qualifiers.

6. Chastaen

Chastaen Member+

Alavés
    Jul 9, 2004
    Winnipeg
    Club:
    Aston Villa FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Are the U23 men going to make the same money as the USWNT for Olympic games? No idea what their pay scale is now but this a bad domino effect waiting to happen.

USMNT gets paid X...
    So USWNT gets paid X...
    So U-23 Men gets paid X...
    So U-23 Women gets paid X...
    And so on.

gtrower repped this.
  7. Yoshou

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm not sure the youth national teams get paid? Historically they have been amateur players that would lose eligibility if they got paid.. That's obviously changing for the men, so hopefully the players that are professionals are on the Men's contract.

8. Chastaen

Chastaen Member+

Alavés
    Jul 9, 2004
    Winnipeg
    Club:
    Aston Villa FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Was my impression too, however then we have the angle if we are paying the Women for work why would the U-23 be forced to do it for no compensation under identical contracts for the two Senior teams? Greed ruins everything in the end lol

9. Yoshou

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The amateur status of the men's YNT is probably enough to protect USSF from any claims there.

10. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    The YNT is neither amateur, nor professional. Same with the senior NT. They are just players. The players may be professionals, they may be amateurs.

In the last ten years amateurs have suited up for both the senior MNT and WNT. And professionals have suited up for various YNTs. The U-17 Men have quite the collection of pros these days. I'm sure the Boys U15s and Girls U15s will eventually see some professionals at some point.

11. Yoshou

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Do you know if the professionals on the youth teams get paid and how much?

12. Chastaen

Chastaen Member+

Alavés
    Jul 9, 2004
    Winnipeg
    Club:
    Aston Villa FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Can MLS players be amateurs? (Edit: Just realized some may find a joke here.)

https://olympics.nbcsports.com/2021/03/11/usmnt-olympic-roster-qualifying-soccer-concacaf/

Goalkeepers
    Matt Freese (Philadelphia Union)
    JT Marcinkowski (San Jose Earthquakes)
    David Ochoa (Real Salt Lake)

Defenders

Julian Araujo (LA Galaxy)
    Justen Glad (Real Salt Lake)
    Aaron Herrera (Real Salt Lake)
    Henry Kessler (New England Revolution)
    Mauricio Pineda (Chicago Fire FC)
    Sam Vines (Colorado Rapids)

Midfielders

Johnny Cardoso (Internacional)
    Hassani Dotson (Minnesota United FC)
    Ulysses Llanez (Heerenveen)
    Djordje Mihailovic (CF Montreal)
    Andrés Perea (Orlando City SC)
    Sebastian Saucedo (UNAM Pumas)
    Jackson Yueill (San Jose Earthquakes)

Forwards

Jesús Ferreira (FC Dallas)
    Jonathan Lewis (Colorado Rapids)
    Benji Michel (Orlando City SC)
    Sebastian Soto (Norwich City)

I cant find anything that says the U-23 get paid at all for Olympic games.

13. Disapproving Hippo

Manchester United
    United States
    Jan 17, 2021
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If the new contract stands then I'm really curious to see what impact this could have on the NWSL. I don't think a lot of clubs can afford many of the national team players' wages on top of benefits.

14. Kevin625

Kevin625 Member

Jan 4, 2016
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    I have no idea what you're talking about with "differing amounts of work." Are you talking about travel?

Once again, the issue is that they don't play similar schedules. Who decides how much each type of game should pay and why?

What's your point here? The men have more WCQ home games than the women have total. Yes, the tournament is usually held in the US, but not always.

See... here's the entire problem. THEY PLAY COMPLETELY DIFFERENT SCHEDULES!

The men don't play in the Olympics, so how can you offer the women the same contract if the OG and OGQ isn't part of the men's contract?

Is it equivalent to WC and WCQ for pay? If so, that's unfair to the men since the women play 2 major tournaments every cycle.

How much do Olympics and OGQ matches pay?
    What about Nations League?
    Gold Cup?
    SheBelieves Cup?
    Tournament of Nations?
    Algarve Cup?
    Copa America?
    Friendlies?

15. Yoshou

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Depends if the money is cut-off completely or not. NWSL has been asking USSF to give them the money and let them decide who they spend it on for years. If that’s what is happening, then the NWSL will be happy.

Namdynamo and JanBalk repped this.
  16. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Eventually the NWSL is going to have to figure out how to balance its books to the point that subsidies from the USSF aren't a thing. And like other sports leagues, that doesn't mean "profitably", but with "acceptable losses." - And attracting a level of ownership that accepts larger losses is part of the growth. The NWSL has shed a few of its shoestring operators over the last few years and brought in more owners with deeper pockets. I'm guessing more than half the league would be fine without the USSF's money. But as long as it's available, sure. It's a subsidy that probably works out to close to a couple million per year, which is about 200k/team.

17. Beau Dure

Beau Dure Member+

May 31, 2000
    Vienna, VA
    She was dressed to the nines at the U.S. Open. I didn't even think it was her, but people pointed out her tattoo.

To answer @Yoshou on the Olympic question -- the IOC does not pay prize money. The USOC pays $37.5k to each gold medalist on its own, which is more than some countries and less than some. Some federations, including U.S. Soccer, offer up their own bonuses (Gable Steveson bumped his bonus from $50k to $250k with his dramatic last-second win).

In other words, the women's lawsuit's expert brief says the women should get 1,050% of the 2015 WWC prize money in addition to the infinity percent given for winning the Olympics.

Sure, winning the Olympics doesn't hurt sponsorship money. But it's difficult to parse out what sponsorship money is for what. Nike sponsors U.S. Soccer, not an Olympic team or a futsal team or a Power Soccer team.

TV money? There's a tiny bit of money that trickles to U.S. Soccer via the USOC. That's about it.

Last note -- cutting the Development Academy wasn't a big loss. No need for the fed to subsidize it when MLS can. The ECNL already worked just fine for women's soccer, and the GA offers another path. (We can hope the NWSL grows to where they can subsidize costs.) USSF should be doing outreach to areas without nearby academies -- they have some programs along those lines, but they're a little anemic right now.

18. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    and just to sum up, the issue is "Equal pay for equal work" not "equal pay and equal work".

19. NCChiFan

NCChiFan Member

NC Courage
    United States
    Feb 19, 2021
    I'm not certain about this at this point or any point in the past.

20. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Two national teams are never going to play the same schedule of the same makeup games. And I don't just mean two senior national teams of a given country. I mean two national teams. El Tri and the USMNT are not going to play the same schedule. The England and France WNTs aren't going to play the same schedule.

"Equal schedules" isn't a rational or relevant expectation.

But you can compensate players equally or equivalently for playing equivalent types of games. Official competitions and friendlies. Home, away, and neutral site.

All six boxes in a cross-grid offer differing importance and financial opportunities for USSF, the NTs, and their sponsors and advertisers.

Honore de Ballsac repped this.
  21. Dsocc

Dsocc Member

Feb 13, 2002
    The USSF fights back.

Attached Files:

22. Chastaen

Chastaen Member+

Alavés
    Jul 9, 2004
    Winnipeg
    Club:
    Aston Villa FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Apparently there is a big issue because boys played, and dominated, in a 'girls' sport called Netball. As there isnt enough interest in male Netball teams a single team of boys played in a league, which was all female only teams.

There is a lot of negativity because boys do not belong playing sports with girls as it creates an unfair environment for the girls. Sadly there is a lot of insults and such being tossed around in discussions on the topic, but it's not unexpected imo

23. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
  24. West Ender

West Ender Member

Dec 28, 2020
    Southwest
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What could go wrong? LOL!

25. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Those men deserve to have their masculinity questioned for showing continued interest in a sport that has been largely deemed a woman's sport. Laugh 'em out of the arena a few times and they'll find something else to do that's more appropriate.