USWNT sues USSF 2019 version

Discussion in 'USA Women: News and Analysis' started by lil_one, Mar 8, 2019.

1. Yoshou

Yoshou Fan of the CCL Champ

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Feyenoord’s point is also a decent legal argument that actually has more precedent in the US legal system. Here’s a thread from Prof. Bank that explains the precedent:

But the short version is that 20ish years ago, the Head Coach for USC’s women’s b’ball team sued USC for discrimination because she eas being paid leas than the HC for USC’s men’s b’ball team. She ended up lose her case because the court decided that men’s bball and women’s bbal weren’t the same, so USC wasn’t required to pay the women’s bball coach the same as the men’s.

Now that was 20 years ago and things have changed, but precedent seems to be on the side of USSF here.

CoachJon and Patrick167 repped this.
  2. Lloyd Heilbrunn

Lloyd Heilbrunn Member+

Feb 11, 2002
    Jupiter, Fl.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Since I'm not getting paid for my legal opinion here, I'm not going to read the case and try to distinguish it. Although, I believe the Court could have decided this against the women at the stage where it certified the class, and did not do so.

I would note that, the Ninth Circuit is now one of the most liberal in the country, I don't know if that was the case 20 years ago (unless the Trump appointees change things).

I agree wholeheartedly that if US soccer wins on this argument, it might be more of a loss than a win...

3. Yoshou

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Roughly a third of the 9th is Trump appointee (and I now feel old, many of them are younger than I am), and the 9th is a little over 1/2 Dem appointees. No idea where that places them on the rank of things. Just noting that precedent in the 9th is that the men’s and women’s sports are different workplaces.

4. Hexa

Hexa Member+

May 21, 2010
    Club:
    Vasco da Gama Rio Janeiro
    One problem with the "the job is "US national team soccer player" and hence is substantially similar." argument, IMHO, is that you turn every single USSF team that has a FIFA World Cup into a potential suit (U17,U20, Futsal and beach soccer). If the job is a USNT soccer player then they all deserve the same deal, no?. USWNT has been generating most of USSF's revenue (ex-SUM) they might end up having to foot the bill for equal pay if this goes through.

5. Lloyd Heilbrunn

Lloyd Heilbrunn Member+

Feb 11, 2002
    Jupiter, Fl.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We shall see.

My prediction from day one was that this case will settle, and the more we go along, the worse it will look for both sides if they do not do so.

Although, I think the team is still way ahead in the PR battle.

Hexa repped this.
  6. Patrick167

Patrick167 Member+

Dortmund
    United States
    May 4, 2017
    The team is ahead in the PR battle but does it matter? It isn't like this is news on CNN or even ESPN. With the election and the importance of soccer in this country, it is a small group of people that are even following this. Most of them already have a poor opinion of the USSF already.

If you look at the comments on any Athletic, Yahoo, or ESPN article on this, 98% are with the Fed.

$67 MM is about the whole operating budget for USSF. They can't settle for anything close to that. I think the women's lawyers have them convinced they have a case, and most media that follow the case are in tight with the women. So, will they settle for a tenth of that figure? If they did, would it be considered a loss?

I think one side has a PR campaign and is made up of very competitive people, the other side probably has the stronger case. I don't see a settlement. But of course, almost all civil cases do settle.

7. Hexa

Hexa Member+

May 21, 2010
    Club:
    Vasco da Gama Rio Janeiro
    A bit of topic, but I really wish USWNT together with USSF and the other women's teams and their federation would pressure FIFA to make a financial valuation for FIFA's women WC. I think France was a paradigm shift for the women's game. TV rights should be negotiated separately, which, IMHO, would allow for more investment into the women's game. I think FIFA is behind the curve, at least UEFA and Conmebol are making strides to develop women Club game.

8. That would be a stupid take from a judge as it has nothing to do with inferiority or not. It's simply economics. Male soccer is in hugher demand worldwide, whether one likes it or not, compared to female soccer and it shows in the money generated by both different entities. Can the USWNT players show the WWC generates as much money as the male one? I donot think so.
    One cannot from a political pov demand the public recognizes you as equal attractive as male soccer. You have to earn it.
    I personally for instance appreciate female lawn tennis more than male tennis, as it's less power and muscles and more technique and style. Female tennis players are not that much less earning per match as males in the top segment because of that earned love for their game.
    Just take this away from soccer and into photography. Several male photographers earn huge amounts of money, because their clients like what they put out.
    Imagine a female photographer goes to court to demand her clients to pay the same as she presses the same buttons those males do.
    Everybody would point a finger to their foreheads as a sign of "you're nuts".
    Yet the female WC players do this with "we kick the same ball over the same pitch".

9. There's only one sport in the world where women and male sporters are doing the same thing on the same pitch in the same team, and that's Dutch invented korfbal, which has mixed male/female teams.

CoachJon repped this.
  10. taosjohn

taosjohn Member+

Dec 23, 2004
    taos,nm
    Embarassing; like he was Iranian Monitor in an earlier incarnation or something...

11. Lloyd Heilbrunn

Lloyd Heilbrunn Member+

Feb 11, 2002
    Jupiter, Fl.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Here's a suggestion, rather than coming into a thread almost 500 posts long, with some of the same arguments that have been discussed here at great length, why don't you go back and read the thread.

lil_one and taosjohn repped this.
  12. NaBUru38

NaBUru38 Member+

Mar 8, 2016
    Las Canteras, Uruguay
    Club:
    Club Nacional de Football
    The women's team won the World Cup, and millions watcched them. The men's team didn't even qualify.

It would be unfair to pay them equally.

13. Yoshou

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And, according to USSF, the women were paid more than the men as a result. The primary driver in this lawsuit isn't necessarily the amount of pay that the women are getting in comparison to the men, it is that the men are paid more on a per game basis, the men get higher performance bonuses, and that the women play more games than the men do.

14. FanOfFutbol

FanOfFutbol Member+

The Mickey Mouse Club or The breakfast Club
    May 4, 2002
    Limbo
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Auriaprottu repped this.
  15. taosjohn

taosjohn Member+

Dec 23, 2004
    taos,nm
    Thay's more a problem of child care costs than soccer salaries, though.

I've known a clutch of single moms who would trade their income for that 20000 minimum in a heartbeat over exactly that stress--bartenders, cooks, teaching assistants, retail clerks, etc. Plus others who have delayed or eschewed children for the same reason. Syd's ol'man at least, makes serious money...

JanBalk and Patrick167 repped this.
  16. FanOfFutbol

FanOfFutbol Member+

May 4, 2002
    Limbo
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    I have heard it said that child care is the one redeeming factor of mother-in-laws.

"Honolulu - it's got everything. Sand for the children, sun for the wife, sharks for the wife's mother."

gunnerfan7 repped this.
  17. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    This is a perfect example of the woso fanbase's failure to support club football. It's going to be tough to grow the women's game with nothing but a quadrennial event.

If every woman who attended an MLS match had just bought an NWSL ticket as well, woso could be a self-reliant institution.

Hexa repped this.
  18. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Ugh. Not this crap again.

The NWSL is an entertainment option, not a cause. Causes recede. Sports leagues are enduring.

"But think of the girls" - "If only the women bought tickets!"

******** that. Just treat it like a ********ing sports league. It's "your" team, and it doesn't matter what sex, gender, age, or whatever "you" are.

19. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    #494 Auriaprottu, Feb 27, 2020
    Last edited: Feb 27, 2020
    The NWSL isn't much of an option entertainmentwise. Being supported as a cause is about all they can hope for, and IMO it's perfectly okay to support a sports league as a way of supporting a cause. When I went to Atlanta Beat games back in the early 2000s, I certainly wasn't going because of the football on display. I went to some degree because I felt that it was the right thing to do. Why is that a bad thing?

If it continues to be treated like a ********ing sports league, it'll continue to get the revenue it's getting now, and the tail will continue to wag the dog paymentwise. What, exactly do you want to see happen to the NWSL?

FWIW, United is pretty well supported as MLS goes. And my cause is being able to see top-flight club football close to me- I have no illusions that they're among the best teams on Earth.

20. I'm in dubio about reporting this as a misogynic remark:unsure:
    It did make me chuckle a little, so I had to slap myself.:(

21. Lloyd Heilbrunn

Lloyd Heilbrunn Member+

Feb 11, 2002
    Jupiter, Fl.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Mother-in-laws are not a protected class...

Auriaprottu repped this.
  22. lil_one

lil_one Member+

Nov 26, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Its always a topic around here, and it seems most relevant in this thread. So, the current contracts:

Meg Linehan is going through the docs now, so the whole twitter thread is worth a look. But I know contracts get a lot of discussion.

Cliveworshipper repped this.
  23. Cliveworshipper

Cliveworshipper Member+

Dec 3, 2006
    I don’t see mentioned anywhere how many club games the men are called away from outside FIFA Windows, or how many camps they leave their clubs for during the season.

24. Yoshou

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Which kinda highlights the fact that the women no longer need as many games as they play. It made sense back when they didn’t have a league to play in, but now that they do, the USWNT games should probably be cut back...

Timon19 repped this.
  25. FanOfFutbol

FanOfFutbol Member+

May 4, 2002
    Limbo
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--