USWNT Prospects

Discussion in 'USA Women: News and Analysis' started by antnee7898, Aug 4, 2021.

1. antnee7898

antnee7898 Member

Oct 19, 2007
    South Houston, TX
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So a lot are saying that one of the problems with this teams performance in the Olympics was age of players. So who do we have to replace, say Lloyd, Rapinoe, Heath, O'Hara etc? Who are the national team prospects in college, NWSL, and overseas? Is the pool deep currently?

jackiesdad and edcrocker repped this.
  2. tiaotnszn

tiaotnszn Member

Chicago Red Stars
    United States
    Nov 13, 2019
    Well the #1 most intriguing prospect who could turn into the next generational superstar of the USWNT is Catarina Macario. The biggest question might be where to play her because she can be good at a few different positions.

We have a ton of interesting prospects for the forward line. Mal Pugh has a ton of caps and seems to be post-hype for most people, but she has really started looking good for the Red Stars. Sophia Smith and Trinity Rodman also are doing good and should see some time with the national team. If those three are the scorers, Ashley Sanchez can be the creative distributor, though, like Macario, her position might be a bit of a question. Mia Fishel played striker for some of the youth national teams and really stood out and she is doing pretty well with UCLA. Bethany Balcer and Ashley Hatch don't have the hype of some of these other young players, but they have been consistently performing in the NWSL and might be rewarded with a shot to see how they integrate with the national team.

Brianna Pinto is an 8 that faces the reality of trying to break into our stacked midfield. Similarly, Jaelin Howell won this year's soccer version of the Heisman, but as a holding midfielder it will be difficult for her to beat out not only Julie Ertz, but also the previous "Next Big Thing" holding midfield prospect Andi Sullivan who is playing well in the NWSL.

For defense, Emily Fox is probably going to be in the rotation at outside back going forward. Naomi Girma is still in college at Stanford, but is a CB who captained some of the youth national teams. She could push Davidson and Dahlkemper, and even if she doesn't start, she might take Davidson's role as the first CB off the bench. Alana Cook already has some time with the national team and may be able to push for a spot to start at either center back or outside back, or she could be a swing option to provide versatility to the roster.

As for even younger players, Lia Godfrey was highly ranked coming out of high school, but seemed to outperform that lofty expectation in her freshman year at UVA this past season. Lexi Missimo and Trinity Byars are two of the top players in this last high school class who apparently had offers from major European clubs. Both seemed to do well in an extremely limited number of games for Texas. Even younger, Ally Sentnor has played up an age group for USYNTs before and now she is graduating high school a year early to get started at UNC this upcoming season. And finally, an even younger player who has also played up for USYNTs, but also has considerably more controversy surrounding her, is Olivia Moultrie who is 15 and is playing with the Portland Thorns.

So, yeah, I would say the pool is pretty deep. I don't think we are going to be lacking for quality players any time in the future. The bigger issue will be putting that talent together in a coherent way and figuring out how to best fill in at the edges.

Namdynamo, imasyko, dspence2311 and 10 others repped this.
  3. winster

winster Member

Jul 7, 2008
    Club:
    Besiktas JK
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I am hesitant to call up defenders without any pro experience. It worked out ok with Davidson, but the reality is college defenders only face elite attackers a few times per year.

Also, with Girma in particular, she missed all last season due to injury. She isn't exactly a possession oriented defender. Plus she didn't win anything with the youth teams. The U-20 team she captained was the only ever US U-20 not to make it out of the group stage at the U-20 World Cup. I know this is reaching way back, but she was easily the least impressive player on a bad US team at the 2016 U-17 World Cup. Although, we're pulling Howell, Pinto and Sanchez off of that U-17 team, so what do I know?

Frankly, I am not super optimistic about the generation that is currently in college and just entering the pros. There are a lot of good players, certainly enough to make a good side. However, besides Macario and maybe Howell no one really has all the tools (and I've mostly been unimpressed with Macario's cameos on the USWNT). This is also a generation that regularly struggled against African and even CONCACAF sides at the youth levels, to say nothing of the up-and-coming European teams.

Klingo3034 repped this.
  4. Smallchief

Smallchief Member+

Oct 27, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Given their performance this year, I suggest the following for callups.

Trinity Rodman – F - Washington
    Mallory Pugh - F – Chicago
    Morgan Weaver -F – Portland
    Sophia Smith – F – Portland
    Ashley Hatch – F – Washington
    Ashley Sanchez – MF/F – Washington
    Taylor Korniek - MF/F – Orlando
    Andi Sullivan – MF - Washington
    Courtney Peterson – D – Orlando
    Phoebe McClernon – D – Orlando
    Carson Pickett – D – North Carolina
    Caprice Dydasco – D – New York
    Sam Staab – D – Washington
    Emily Fox – D – Louisville
    Sarah Gordon – D – Chicago

5. antnee7898

antnee7898 Member

Oct 19, 2007
    South Houston, TX
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #5 antnee7898, Aug 4, 2021
    Last edited: Aug 4, 2021
    I agree.
    As far as this group of elder players in the Olympics, who would/do you take over
    Rapinoe
    Saurbrunn
    Heath
    Lloyd
    Naeher

Even the next age group are like 32 currently
    Press
    Morgan
    O'Hara

I don't think any younger prospects would have contributed more for this tournament at this point.

6. sweepsit

sweepsit Member

Oct 25, 2016
    SF, California
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm an FSU fan so 1) I'm biased and 2) have seen her play a lot. I think Jaelin Howell could be a natural backup / rotation for Ertz. She's been dominant in college with comparable skillset to my eye. Very hard to dispossess, brings that bite to the middle of the field defensively, scoring threat from set pieces. I think Howell is likely a better high volume passer than Ertz and also has ability for the threaded / textured pass in but hasn't been called on to be that direct so often at FSU.

PlaySimple, jnielsen, Kevin625 and 3 others repped this.
  7. yabo

yabo Member+

Jun 1, 2000
    Poolesville, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We need more competition. My opinion is the relentless competitive character of previous USWNT teams was based on intense internal competition. Vlatko caved to the senior players and in doing so, failed to bring out the predatory nature we've come to love and respect. Open up all future camps to youth. Let's bring back the competitive character.

RevsRule, Namdynamo, outside63 and 2 others repped this.
  8. cpthomas

cpthomas BigSoccer Supporter

Portland Thorns
    United States
    Jan 10, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I am interested in knowing how you know that Vlatko caved to the senior players rather than being told by the USSF to stay with the senior players through the Olympics.

9. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    What do you think about the fact that, in the latest years, US teams in general tended to struggle at world-level Youth Tournaments? Is it a valid indicator of how successful these players are going to be in their senior careers, or you don't think it is much relevant?

Let's not forget that the generation of Julie Ertz, Crystal Dunn, Samantha Mewis, had actually being successful at Youth Level, by winning the 2012 U-20 WWC, before advancing to the Senior Team.

10. yabo

yabo Member+

Jun 1, 2000
    Poolesville, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Note the use of "opinion". It may be like @blissett suggested - the next generation isn't as good, but I find that difficult to believe given the huge pool of talent that is in increasingly competitive settings before funneling into the US national program. I do think the USSF hasn't righted the ship as yet. So I guess I agree that there are structural issues at play and that the choice of Vlatko reflects it.

jnielsen repped this.
  11. yabo

yabo Member+

Jun 1, 2000
    Poolesville, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nice article from Doug McIntyre. Here's a quote:

Maybe the most pressing question facing U.S. Soccer isn’t what to do with the roster, but what to do with the guy on the sideline. Andonovski was a popular choice among the team’s elders — he coached Rapinoe with Seattle’s OL Reign — to replace the more confrontational Ellis. In hindsight, maybe the vets had too much influence in general manager Kate Markgraf’s decision. Maybe they relaxed a little bit subconsciously once the easier-going Andonovski was installed.

Many of Andonovki’s decisions — the roster, his tactics, his lineups and substitutions — can be scrutinized and second-guessed given what transpired at the Olympics. So, too, can the fact that the U.S. forwards consistently mistimed their runs, with an astounding 10 would-be goals ruled offside. There’s no question that the coaching could have been better.

kolabear, outside63 and TimB4Last repped this.
  12. McSkillz

McSkillz Member+

ANGEL CITY FC, UCLA BRUINS
    United States
    Nov 22, 2014
    Los Angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I would add Hailie Mace on that list of who should be looked at in future camp. We have many talented players to choose from currently in the NWSL and college. The problem is you can throw all of those players on the field right now and they would instantly lose. A lot of development and chemistry needs to be had and done. A lot of these kids might end up on the national team playing in a position that is different from their college days. There’s no way to predict who steps up and becomes Carli Lloyd 2.0 or Megan Rapinoe 2.0, an “America’s sweetheart”Alex Morgan or another Christen Press or an even better Broon.

It will be fun and exciting to see my new batch of UCLA Bruins start circulating into the fold as well. But it will take a good couple of years to get them all running like a well oiled machine. Will it be enough time for WWC 2023? Depends on how truly good of a coach Vlatko or whomever is.

For this tournament, Vlatko scores a big fat F for now. He needs to be evaluated for this performance before he continues with this team moving forward.

Kevin625, outside63 and yabo repped this.
  13. fire123

fire123 Member+

Jul 31, 2009
    I don't know many of these players. Do we have anyone who is good in the air/ heading game? That's what we sorely miss right now.

jnielsen repped this.
  14. Klingo3034

Klingo3034 Member+

Dallas FC
    United States
    Oct 11, 2019
    Don't forget two sisters Alyssa Thompson and Giselle Thompson both forwards. Probably for WC in 2027.

https://www.dailynews.com/2021/04/0...son-just-getting-started-at-harvard-westlake/

Alyssa scored four goals and Gisele added one in Harvard-Westlake’s 7-1 win over Chaminade on Wednesday afternoon at home. Sisters Daniela and Natalia Quintero, who also play for Harvard-Westlake each scored a goal, too.

Alyssa has 17 goals in six matches this season.

“I think teams are most worried about my speed,” Alyssa said of her attack shyly. “Once I get the ball, I dribble right at the defender.”

Alyssa, a sophomore, is considered one of the best youth soccer prospects in the country. She competes on the under-19 national team. Gisele, a freshman, plays on the under-16 team.

https://playeroftheyear.gatorade.com/winner/alyssa-thompson/38437

SEASON GOALS

SEASON ASSISTS

jnielsen and tiaotnszn repped this.
  15. MRAD12

MRAD12 Member+

Jun 10, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    I want Trinity Rodman to get a look on the National team. This kid is an impact player!

jjmack, Kevin625 and West Ender repped this.
  16. Klingo3034

Klingo3034 Member+

Dallas FC
    United States
    Oct 11, 2019
    The U20 did well winning championship in CONCACAF prior to COVID.

jjmack and West Ender repped this.
  17. Klingo3034

Klingo3034 Member+

Dallas FC
    United States
    Oct 11, 2019
    blissett and yabo repped this.
  18. dspence2311

dspence2311 Member+

Oct 14, 2007
    Great post. I would say “thank you for your service” to 75% of the over 30s and keep only those who fill holes left by this group of youngsters. I would recognize what I have in Macario and empower to be a goal-hunting star the way she is for her club.

Kevin625 repped this.
  19. winster

winster Member

Jul 7, 2008
    Club:
    Besiktas JK
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't worry about the US's lack of success in the boys youth World Cups. As Yabo said it is hard to pick the best players in a large country with a decentralized development program. Because of this fact you see a remarkable amount of turnover on the boys rosters. Meanwhile in countries with small programs (like the female programs in both Koreas and to a lesser extent Japan), you have a pretty good idea who your best players are at the youth level, and you can reliably expect most of the players who were the best at the youth levels to also be the best at the senior levels.

However, I am immensely concerned about the lack of success on the female side of US youth programs. The same girls who underperform at the U-17 level get called up to the U-20 level, and now we are talking about a lot of those same girls for the USWNT. The women's program doesn't have as much turnover as the men's program even at the youth level. Also, there are fewer places for good female youth players to be hiding if they aren't on the youth national teams. On the boys side we often don't call up our best youth players because they are training in Europe or starting in MLS. Needless to say that isn't happening on the girls side of the house.

2233soccer repped this.
  20. PlaySimple

PlaySimple Member

Sep 22, 2016
    Chicagoland
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    I wouldn't consider myself an FSU fan but I do like them and I peripherally follow them. I've been aware of Jaelin Howell since seeing her play some ECNL matches with Real Colorado. I've been a fan of hers since she has been she's been in Tallahassee. She is every bit deserving of her accolades. Yesterday, in another thread, I commented that she should get some serious consideration at the 6 spot. Ertz has had some injuries and as we saw against Sweden, a viable backup is needed for her. I like Lindsey Horan but she's not a 6. The others I mentioned Andi Sullivan and Danny Colaprico. Sullivan is obvious. I've not closely followed Colaprico this year but she has shown promise in the past.

As an FSU fan, what is your opinion of Malia Berkely as a center-back? From my memories of her as a Seminole, she has size and does well when tasked to attack. It isn't the easiest getting good information about the French league she is now playing in but it seems as if her time has been limited at Bordeaux. I don't know if this is due to injury or if she just hasn't performed well enough to get minutes.

The USWNT really needs to shore up, defensively. As the play of Dahlkemper showed, center-back should be a primary consideration. Some have been down on Davidson also, and she did have some mistakes, but she still has a future on the team, IMHO.

Kevin625 repped this.
  21. Disapproving Hippo

Manchester United
    United States
    Jan 17, 2021
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How about Kelsey Turnbow? I heard she plays pretty similar to Vivianne Miedema which the USWNT is lacking, a real number 9.

CoachJon repped this.
  22. sweepsit

sweepsit Member

Oct 25, 2016
    SF, California
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Berkely was fantastic at FSU. The pairing of her and Kuikka at centerback was the foundation for the 2018 national title. She's smart, effective 1 v 1, and brings a lot to the attack both with dribble penetration and distribution (we particularly missed this in the spring; I'm highly confident FSU wins the title if she's still there). She has been hard to follow in Bordeaux. It looked like she wasn't making gameday rosters earlier in the year so I wonder about an injury as well. She's been in the starting lineup the last few weeks with Gilles out anchoring the backline for Canada. Hoping she'll get to see more time. I would be happy for her to get a solid look from the USWNT... not sure how easily that will happen if she stays at Bordeaux.

23. winster

winster Member

Jul 7, 2008
    Club:
    Besiktas JK
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The US U-20s did well in the 2020 CONCACAF Championship.

However the 2018 team (which included Davidson, Girma, Howell, Pinto, Sanchez and Smith) did very poorly. They could only beat Nicaragua by two goals, beat Jamaica by one goal, needed penalties to beat Haiti and lost to Mexico.

The U-17s also barely beat Haiti and Mexico in 2018.

24. Klingo3034

Klingo3034 Member+

Dallas FC
    United States
    Oct 11, 2019
    Don't forget the U-15s in 2018 also won the CONCACAF championship as well and were going to be U-17 WC in India. This was a loaded talented team at the time before the players moved on because of covid.

U.S. U-17 WNT ROSTER BY POSITION – FLORIDA TRAINING CAMP & MATCHES VS. ENGLAND:
    GOALKEEPERS (3): Nadia Cooper (Challenge SC; Katy, Texas), Haley Craig (Michigan Jaguars; Dexter, Mich.), Neeku Purcell (Reign Academy; Seattle, Wash.)

DEFENDERS (8): Baleigh Bruster (Tophat; Smyrna, Ga.), Andrea Kitahata (San Jose Earthquakes; Hillsborough, Calif.), Aidan McConnell (Michigan Hawks; Dexter, Mich.), Ayooluwa Oke (Tophat; Atlanta, Ga.), Shea O’Malley (NC Courage; Cary, N.C.), Lilly Reale (South Shore Select; Hingham, Mass.), Evelyn Shores (Tophat; Atlanta, Ga. Kolo Suliafu (SoCal Blues; Victorville, Calif.)

MIDFIELDERS (7): Tatiana Fung (Legends FC; Fullerton, Calif.), Carina Lageyre (Weston FC; Weston, Fla.), Devin Lynch (Sockers FC; Naperville, Ill.), Alexis Missimo (Solar SC; Southlake, Texas), Olivia Moultrie (Portland Thorns FC; Wilsonville, Ore.), Jaedyn Shaw (Solar SC; Frisco, Texas), Jillian Shimkin (Sky Blue-NYSC; Rockville Centre, N.Y.)

FORWARDS (6): Trinity Byars (Solar SC; Richardson, Texas), Simone Jackson (Beach FC; Redondo Beach, Calif.), Karlie Lema (MVLA; Morgan Hill, Calif.), Allyson Sentnor (South Shore Select; Hanson, Mass.), Alyssa Thompson (Real So Cal; Studio City, Calif.), Amelia White (Fort Wayne United FC; Fort Wayne, Ind.)

hotjam2 repped this.
  25. Smallchief

Smallchief Member+

Oct 27, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Here is the starting lineup for the US in the 2023 World Cup:

Forwards: Trinity Rodman, Catarina Macario, Mallory Pugh,

Midfield: Ashley Sanchez, Sam Mewis, Lindsey Horan

Defense: Julie Ertz, Tierna Davidson, Crystal Dunn, Emily Fox

Goalie: Naeher

dspence2311 and Klingo3034 repped this.