USWNT playing Paraguay in September

Discussion in 'USA Women: News and Analysis' started by winster, Aug 21, 2021.

1. hotjam2

hotjam2 Member+

Nov 23, 2012
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    #126 hotjam2, Sep 20, 2021
    Last edited: Sep 20, 2021
    I would have to agree with you; Paraguay asked to play the US, knowing that they already lost 0-7 to the weaker, #13 ranked Japan. So in the basis of learning from whooping, they believe will have only making themselves stronger, is why teams like Paraguay want to play us(and that includes playing against our very best instead of our B squad)

I would disagree with you however on an lower/younger level. Like I remember at u10 how my kid got selected for the all-star team. Next season that whole(that didn’t move up) all-star squad was on the same club team (in a 12 team league) thanks to same coach able to wiggle his way to all the best players & we ended blowing teams away by scores of 15/25-0 against kids what might of been the first time ever to play the game.

And it didn’t stop there; our one high school team keeps winning the state championship cuz both the coach & assistants also coach in the two local select clubs, where all their players just transfer from all the other high schools in the region.
    So what I’ve seen, good actually coaching is an joke, for a coach real success, its all about stacking your team with the best players available

btw……#2 Sweden only wins 1-0 vs #45 Slovakia. #4 Netherlands ties #27 Czech Republic 1-1 in World Cup qualifiers

2. MRAD12

MRAD12 Member+

Jun 10, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    I see some of you especially Vlatko haters (you know. the, there's a brown blade of grass on the field and it's Vlatko's fault. types) who want the USWNT to score even more goals. Somehow 9-0 is not enough. Tell me, what is learned from that other than humiliating the other team who doesn't have the same resources that you do?

3. MRAD12

MRAD12 Member+

Jun 10, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    #128 MRAD12, Sep 20, 2021
    Last edited: Sep 20, 2021
    And you know that Vlatko is teaching them to be offsides how? Or could it be they smell blood and everyone wants to score at the same time just like in a U-12 lopsided game so they are getting over-anxious? It is not unusual for Alex Morgan to be caught in offsides. She is called offsides in NWSL games for Pete's sakes. How is that Vlatko's fault?

4. taosjohn

taosjohn Member+

Dec 23, 2004
    taos,nm
    Alex' game is largely about timing runs perfectly-- which inevitably creates a certain number of imperfectly timed ones.

And by making the defenders keep track of when and where she might go, she creates space and turbulence in the defense for others to take advantage of...

As Jerry Garcia said of improvisational music: "If you're gonna go diving for pearls, you must accept that you'll come up with some clams..."

jnielsen repped this.
  5. MRAD12

MRAD12 Member+

Jun 10, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    As you can see I changed the wording in my post. I hate when people quote me before I have a chance to reread what I post and make changes. :sneaky:

jnielsen and kolabear repped this.
  6. jnielsen

jnielsen Member+

May 12, 2012
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    When's the 2nd game?

7. FanOfFutbol

FanOfFutbol Member+

The Mickey Mouse Club or The breakfast Club
    May 4, 2002
    Limbo
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Tomorrow (Tuesday 8-20-2021) @19:30 and it is being shown on FS1.

jnielsen repped this.
  8. Cliveworshipper

Cliveworshipper Member+

Dec 3, 2006

Hold on now.

you are being pretty selective about what playing a cupcake means.

free kicks against cupcakes aren’t any more an indicator of what a kicker can do against a ranked team than any other aspect of the game.

9. FanOfFutbol

FanOfFutbol Member+

The Mickey Mouse Club or The breakfast Club
    May 4, 2002
    Limbo
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Accuracy and trajectory can be judged quite easily. Admittedly the fact that players can win the ball easier against a poor team than a good one but a free kick is taken without any opposition until the ball gets to where it is going so it is easy to judge if a free kick is good or poor no matter what the opponents skill.

That is why I am so down on players that miss free kicks or that miss PKs. Those are one of the few things that can be practiced pretty much exactly as they are in matches with the exception of defenders interfering with the results.

Practice does not make perfect but practice makes permanent and perfect practice does make perfect. These players seem to have practiced pretty correctly.

jnielsen repped this.
  10. Cannons

Cannons Member+

May 16, 2005
    Beatdown #2 on deck. Maybe Carly can get 10 if she plays 90 and their defensive takes a water break? Another waste of time for $$$$

hellraiser-82 repped this.
  11. jnielsen

jnielsen Member+

May 12, 2012
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Oh, settle down. You clearly do not understand how the USWNT works. Some of what you call for is valid. Some of what you call for will occurr. However, whatever occurs will take several years.
    Especially at this juncture.

12. zdravstvuyte

zdravstvuyte Member

Aston Villa
    United States
    Jul 26, 2018
    Back on tour !!!
    JackDoggy sighting!!!!

McSkillz and jnielsen repped this.
  13. Jazzy Altidore

Jazzy Altidore Member+

Sep 2, 2009
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    lol what's the point of these games? Why is the USWNT playing a team of amateurs? Is this competition supposed to have integrity?

14. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    Pugh coming off injured right now. US will play with 10 for a while.

15. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    I should mention that she came back in.

jnielsen repped this.
  16. jnielsen

jnielsen Member+

May 12, 2012
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Yes, it has integrity. However, these friendlies are meant to honor Lloyd's retirement and the team's bronze at the Olympics. Both teams will benefit from these matches.

17. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    After a brace in the first half, Morgan now has a hat trick and the US leads 6-0.

18. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    In: Williams Sauerbrunn Krueger Lloyd
    Out: Pugh O'hara Morgan Davidson

19. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    Out: Lavelle Smith (scored her first goal)
    In: Mewis Heath

20. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    Lloyd taps in a rebound.
    7-0

21. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    Double comb has been achieved... damn...
    Macario makes it 8-0

22. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    I don't know what happened to the Paraguayan player, but I think it was Sauerbrunn who wanted attention for her from the ref. It appears serious. The broadcast did not see it. The cart was immediately on the field.

23. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia

jnielsen repped this.
  24. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    Final
    8-0

Double comb again

25. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Paraguay players lined up for selfies & autographs with the USWNT.

jnielsen repped this.