USWNT playing Paraguay in September

Discussion in 'USA Women: News and Analysis' started by winster, Aug 21, 2021.

1. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    Lloyd now has five goals for the night.

jnielsen repped this.
  2. Cliveworshipper

Cliveworshipper Member+

Dec 3, 2006
    you are going to get carpal tunnel with the updates

3. FanOfFutbol

FanOfFutbol Member+

The Mickey Mouse Club or The breakfast Club
    May 4, 2002
    Limbo
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    You did not mention Lloyd's 4, count 'em, 4 goals. (She scored her 5th as I was typing)
    As much as I love to se a good performance by the USWNT this is absurd. It is good to see continued effort but the opponent is little more than practice cones. A mid level HS team could play better than Paraguay.

blissett repped this.
  4. Cliveworshipper

Cliveworshipper Member+

Dec 3, 2006
    they would give Asian champions Thailand a pretty good game.

5. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia

jnielsen repped this.
  6. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    Heath makes it 9-0

7. FanOfFutbol

FanOfFutbol Member+

May 4, 2002
    Limbo
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    I don't think so. Thailand is MUCH better than what we see wandering around the field tonight. Thailand was poor but they have improved a LOT.

8. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    Final

USA 9 Paraguay 0

Double comb achieved

9. FanOfFutbol

FanOfFutbol Member+

May 4, 2002
    Limbo
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Lloyd even outscored the rest of the USWNT 5-4.

McSkillz and blissett repped this.
  10. Cliveworshipper

Cliveworshipper Member+

Dec 3, 2006
    Don’t get too smug. The Men’s futsal World Cup is ongoing. The USA got beat 11-0 by Argentina in the opening match a few days ago.

jnielsen repped this.
  11. hellraiser-82

hellraiser-82 Member

May 17, 2004
    buffalo ny
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This game was a joke.

West Ender, Cannons, RevsRule and 2 others repped this.
  12. Disapproving Hippo

Manchester United
    United States
    Jan 17, 2021
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It was like playing against a Sunday league team. So lopsided and unfair I stopped watching after the 5th goal because it was getting quite cringey.

13. Chastaen

Chastaen Member+

Alavés
    Jul 9, 2004
    Winnipeg
    Club:
    Aston Villa FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Paraguay.

14. taosjohn

taosjohn Member+

Dec 23, 2004
    taos,nm
    They were clearly not ready for the speed of thought needed against a top team, and I thought the keeper just didn't have the reflexes. But overall I thought they gained on it quite well through the game, and I didn't think they were all that badly overmatched physically. They just weren't sharp enough, quick enough, alert enough, because they hadn't seen that level of play enough. Don't be shocked if they are much more competitive in a few days.

I really liked Pugh and Sullivan's games which is something of a relief, and I liked a lot about Williams's as well; I know it wasn't strong opposition, but still, better choices are better choices... Macario did a lot of good stuff too, even though none of it really came to anything.

But I am starting to wonder if Smith will ever have her breakthrough moment...

hellraiser-82 repped this.
  15. Klingo3034

Klingo3034 Member+

Dallas FC
    United States
    Oct 11, 2019
    Its pretty much like that worldwide. Spain against Faroe Islands 10-0, Norway against Armenia 10-0, Denmark vs Malta 7-0, etc.

sitruc, kolabear, jackiesdad and 2 others repped this.
  16. CookieRules

CookieRules Member

N/a
    United States
    Jul 1, 2021
    So are qualifiers for uefa teams where they run up the scores on cupcake teams like the faroe island...

sitruc and kolabear repped this.
  17. hotjam2

hotjam2 Member+

Nov 23, 2012
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    looks like going to be hard to find strong competition as well for the She Believes Cup. England has just announced their own version and they already signed up Spain & Germany. France has had its own for the last couple years. There’s the Asia qualifiers this time around that will tie up both Japan & Australia, and then there’s still the Algarve Cup, which the Swedes particularly like since it means warmer weather.
    There’s talk of a two game trip to Australia in November, but just about all their players are now based in Europe, so jet lag might be more exhausting for them then it is for us

All this means that Vlatko will most likely continue to save his job by playing & beating tomato cans like Paraguay

18. Klingo3034

Klingo3034 Member+

Dallas FC
    United States
    Oct 11, 2019
    Only ones that can provide some at least would be Canada and Brazil. I pick Mexico as well since they need some competitive games and get better, this is the best way against teams like US and Canada along with Brazil.

19. WoSoFan

WoSoFan Member

Dec 23, 2017
    #94 WoSoFan, Sep 17, 2021
    Last edited: Sep 17, 2021
    lad

Well I watched the Denmark and Norway games and the teams they played would have given us a better game then what Paraguay was able to do. And really was it necessary to let Lloyd score all those goals. What purpose did it really serve. And to listen to the one commentator carry on about getting the 6th the goal. Really? And why didn't Vlatko make the switch of players at the start of the 2nd half, instead of waiting like he did. Was it necessary to have Lloyd play the whole game, and is he planning on having her play all the games that way so she can run up her goal count.

I didn't like the way he handled the Olympic mess and this game was just another negative for him.

20. Chastaen

Chastaen Member+

Alavés
    Jul 9, 2004
    Winnipeg
    Club:
    Aston Villa FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Paraguay is Paraguay. They've never made the World Cup or Olympics but did make the Pan Am games twice. Their only other game this year is a 7-0 loss to Japan. I doubt they would be a blip on the radar in the next 20 years.

Added: Come back in a few days and if the score is closer than 5 goals Ill concede that Paraguay isn't a total joke of a team.

21. RevsRule

RevsRule Member+

NE Revs, LAFC
    Jun 9, 1999
    N. Eastern, Mass
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The only thing that game was good for was $$$$$$ and to allow Carli to run up her stats. Yes she got 5 goals against a invisible defense. Kind of glad she didnt get that 6th but who knows... we get to play them again so maybe!!!!
    Carli has been good for a long time. Its kind of embarrassing for her to run up the score against a team any number of Div 1 soccer teams could easily beat. Not a good way to go out

22. RevsRule

RevsRule Member+

NE Revs, LAFC
    Jun 9, 1999
    N. Eastern, Mass
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    then play Australia in the USA. Problem solved

23. imasyko

imasyko Member+

May 16, 2002
    Spring City, PA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They could get better comp playing a college team. Don't know how you can evaluate any player from that mess?

24. hotjam2

hotjam2 Member+

Nov 23, 2012
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Canada & Brazil did play in France’s debut tournament previously, but it got canceled this year due to covid. So who knows where they want to play next spring; flash those shiny gold medals at the playgrounds of Monte Carlo or the steps of Versailles……or come play their faded older sisters in……where’s we’re playing next, oh yeah, Cleveland

25. FanOfFutbol

FanOfFutbol Member+

May 4, 2002
    Limbo
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    I believe everyone here knows how I feel about Vlatko Andonovski's coaching but this tour is a "victory" tour not a development series of friendlies. In particular it has also gained the label of being "Lloyd's" retirement tour. That means that a lot of fans are expecting to see the stalwarts of the USWNT play as much as possible and they want to see goals and, if possible, records challenged or broken. Most "fans" attending these matches care very little about the finer nuances of the match. All they want to see is goals preferably scored by their favorites.

This was exactly what I expected but I really did not know how horrendously bad Paraguay is.

As far as going for Lloyd's 6th goal I actually was hoping for it too come early in the second half. It did not so she stayed in trying to get the record. I would not be surprised if she plays all 90 mins in the next match as well. Vlatko is trying to give the fans what they want and that I cannot fault him for.

The only thing really positive I took from this match is that we have several free kick takers that showed that they are at least as good as the one that was missing. Pugh's free kicks looked to be the best of the lot but there were at least three that showed that they are quite good even excellent most of the time. The only thing about free kicks we really did not learn is if the kickers can produce under pressure.

My expectations for this tour was exactly met.

Teams need to practice running up scores when they can because in most tournaments the first tiebreaker is goal differential and most of the rest have "goals" as the major part of what matters.

As far as the commentators go: Someone needs to inform Foudy that endless rambling about the past is trivia is booring and detracts fro, at least my, enjoyment of the match. The overall production was also pretty bad, Long lingering frames of Vlatko in closeup is much more nauseating than closeups of a pile of dog excrement particularly when the match is being played.

I expect little more from US TV production but it would be good if the distractions could be eliminated.

I have also been watching a bit of the English football and they have begun using replay too much as well and we miss some of the action. That shows that even they believe that fans are not able to wait for real breaks to see replays. I guess we have too short attention spans to remember to watch after more than a minute as passed.

This match was, mostly, exactly what I expected but I do wish the team we played was at least good enough to make the outcome a little in doubt. After the first 10 minutes the only thing in doubt was how many goals would be scored and by which player(s).

jackiesdad and Klingo3034 repped this.