USWNT player ratings (including future players and prospects)

Discussion in 'USA Women: News and Analysis' started by WPS_Movement, Jun 22, 2013.

1. cpthomas

cpthomas BigSoccer Supporter

Portland Thorns
    United States
    Jan 10, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Could there be a turf v grass difference?

2. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Im sure that's a big factor with a lot of players. U sometimes get that extra little bounce on turf.

3. ForeverLOST108

ForeverLOST108 Member+

Jan 23, 2010
    Orlando
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Surely a player of her caliber would be able to adjust if that was the issue. Besides, if that is the issue she better get used to it since that's all she'll see in 2015.

4. WiminzSoccerRocks

Jun 15, 2009
    MA
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

TOTALLY agree on Syd being a MAJOR disappointment in Boston. She does NOT work hard, she does NOT make her presence known. If you did not know she was one of our 2 USWNT allocated players, you would never pick her out of a game.

5. luvdagame

luvdagame Member+

Jul 6, 2000

she's third in the league in points from goals and assists. she makes more lung busting runs chasing hopeful passes than most players in the league. she's doing pretty well.

6. newsouth

newsouth Member

Nov 20, 2010
    Club:
    Santos FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil

She had that nice little middle of the season goal rush after I blasted her on here and equalizer but her game has gone in hiding again. Really, I thought she'd carry Boston weekly like Holiday is doing in Kansas. I guess she's done enough to make Sermanni happy. That's all that really matters, right?

7. wanderlust12

wanderlust12 New Member

Aug 15, 2013
    I think the league has really given Holiday a major confidence boost and hopefully her play will translate with national team... I really wonder how she would play today vs a top team like Germany.

8. Calci0

Calci0 Member

Jun 22, 2013
    NC
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Yeh being one behind the leader in goals is what I'd call a "major"disappointment....... And last week scoring the winning goal against the 1st place team.

9. Ledbetter

Ledbetter Member

Jun 27, 2013
    Club:
    Los Angeles Sol
    Whoa, who could have Sermani meant at the Portland at Seattle Half-Time???
    Wambach
    Morgan
    Press
    Lerroux
    Horan
    Hayes
    Ohai
    ???

10. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    On a similar topic, they said on the FOX broadcast that Sermanni had his call-ups ready for Mexico but they hadnt been released yet.

11. TeaDrinkerful

TeaDrinkerful Member

Aug 29, 2013
    Club:
    --other--
    LOL wow, i laughed when i read this....I think heath is the only one that will be able to withstand those teams through the end....the key thing that makes heath better against tought teams is CALMNESS, she does not get scared and make a bad pass, she holds on to the ball and lets them know shes in charge. Go watch some games again and see the dispossession difference between pinoe and heath

12. newsouth

newsouth Member

Nov 20, 2010
    Club:
    Santos FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    That's why she has been the Queen of "dribbling into double teams" on the international pitch! LOL. Ok, maybe she has improved a bit with PSG, definitely in getting yellows until she met Scott.

Personally, I'd focus on Tymarek.

13. TeaDrinkerful

TeaDrinkerful Member

Aug 29, 2013
    Club:
    --other--
    lol, the teams that are not able to hold the ball are the teams like mexico, who as soon as they see an opponent they make a shit pass that goes nowhere. Dribbling is VERY important in a game, it is REQUIRED to get through some tough defenses, just passing like other people say here is not gonna work against a solid defence, their defence will cover everyone and put the other team in check just like chess, dribbling is something needed to get the play going and it happens that heath and pinoe are very good at it, hence both coaches Pia and Sermani barely mess with our attacking midfielders. Passing alone in a game vs good team will go only so far, dribbling is the thing that breaks the stalemate. I'm not gonna argue about Tymrak she is very good and i love her style of play. Remember this darling, passing will only go so far in a game, chances need to be made to make a goal.

14. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Tymrak already handles the ball better than Heath or Rapinoe. She is better at speed and in a crowd. Now the two veterans may have more tricks up their sleeves and Rapinoe at least is the better offensive player, but if u want someone to run the attack, Tymrak is the one.

15. ForeverLOST108

ForeverLOST108 Member+

Jan 23, 2010
    Orlando
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think the reason people are getting into this Tymrak vs. Heath argument is because Tymrak is already showing what Heath was supposed to be. Heath has no doubt improved from her time in France and that definitely helps her case to grab a starting spot, but she still isn't all that she has been promised in my opinion. Heath doesn't really possess that killer pass or scoring ability that Rapinoe has and doesn't hold possession in tight areas as well as Tymrak. She won't take free kicks with Rapinoe and Lloyd on the field and can completely disappear from games for chunks of a time. Do I think she has anything to worry about now? No. But I do believe that if Tymrak continues to improve at the rate she is improving, it will be difficult to keep her off the field and the spot she'd most likely take is Heaths. Her one big advantage is that she is a better defender than Tymrak and Rapinoe but it seems that Sermanni likes O'Reilly for that reason so it may not be in her advantage.

16. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    I think he carries all four for WWC and u wont see that decision made unless he has to get to 18 for the Olympics (r they still going with 12 teams???) I think he makes the spot by going with three CMs because three of his four outside mids can play centrally.

17. RAMbunctious

RAMbunctious Member

Jul 19, 2011
    Tobin Heath has won three national titles, has 2 gold medals, pro championship and plays for PSG. I think she's done ok for herself. I doubt she cares if she has met some of your expectations of her.

18. TeaDrinkerful

TeaDrinkerful Member

Aug 29, 2013
    Club:
    --other--
    thats a complete false statement, i love tymrak and think she is an awesome player, but rapinoe beats tymrak every day atleast right now, and heath keeps wayy better possession than her. wow i dont think anyone even watch the nwsl, i watched every game like twice (thorn, fc kansas, and reign games) and then watched them again by using a program to slow down certain parts and view them very very carefully to see different mistakes and possessions, heath kept the best possession without getting dispossessed but was a bit slow at counter attacking, rapinoe was good at counter attacking but lost possession many many times, tymrak was like rapinoe and heath combined but only 50% of their skill. Video doesn't lie.

19. TeaDrinkerful

TeaDrinkerful Member

Aug 29, 2013
    Club:
    --other--
    #169 TeaDrinkerful, Sep 8, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 8, 2013
    Tymrak was teamed up with Holiday against Heath and Sinclair in the Semi Final NWSL, Heath and Sinclair came out on top even with their crappy defense. Heath held the team together in midfield, while still providing good balls forward. Tymrak was good at offensive but she did little to contribute to central midfield and control the game. Its very simple, heath is very smart at who she passes the balls to, which in turn makes her team keep possession and has time to regroup again, while tymrak is good at attacking with fire but she lacks the knowledge of how to control the game and keep her team in control. They are completely 2 different players, after watching numerous videos I think tymrak is more like Rapinoe than heath, but rapinoe is still better than tymrak for time being. Heath is a genius in controlling possession

20. newsouth

newsouth Member

Nov 20, 2010
    Club:
    Santos FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    #170 newsouth, Sep 8, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 8, 2013
    :ROFLMAO:

Ok, she had a good NWSL game and a highlight reel goal. That puts her up there with the Germans, French and Japanese. Geez, Brasilians would pick her pockets. Like i said, she needs to do it on the international pitch instead of leading the team in double team dispossessions, which she specializes in, since she thinks she can dribble through anyone, except for Desiree Scott of course. :laugh:

One year on the international pitch and Tymrek's game fits perfectly with feeding their speedy forwards with well-timed balls at their feet. Heath always takes the extra dribble which throws off timing.

Tymrak > Heath long-term. Of course Heath has an advantage with her pitch numbers at this time.

21. TeaDrinkerful

TeaDrinkerful Member

Aug 29, 2013
    Club:
    --other--
    i doubt you watched that many games, i'll explain very slowly this time. US plays vs a solid team, usa goes back and forth back and forth with passing and passing and passing and nothing happens, the other teams defence reads every play and every pass that uswnt makes and just stops them and counters them, then finally a smart uswnt players like rapinoe and heath decide that they are going to dribble through a couple of defenders and make something happen... and then TADA!!!! they finally are able to make a play and get a pass off to ALEX that doesnt get intercepted, than alex takes a shot and she either scores or atleast she gets a shot off at the goal, which is sooo much better than not even getting the ball through to her. and that is dear newsouth the way soccer is played, weak teams continue to pass and pass, while the team that beats that weak team dribbles. next time watch how a goal vs a solid team builds up. Heath brings in the x factor with rapinoe that other players are not able to do, and that is dribble through a tough defence and make something happen. Watch the games again and get a pen, and write down the time heath gets dispossessed vs other players, you will be so shocked thats its less than anyone else.

22. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Im confused. Are u saying Rapinoe and Heath r just ok and Tymrak is worse or r u saying Rapinoe and Heath r really good and Tymrak is there yet? If u think they r really good Rapinoe doesnt agree. She said she and Heath are pretty average in technical skill compared to her Lyon team mates. Both Heath and Rapinoe r very good making a first move to get by someone, then the bad decisions start. Heath loves to take defenders two and three at a time, usually resulting in a turnover. Heath needs to draw the double team then pass to someone open. Rapinoe uses the dribble to set up her own shot...she may pass eventually, but it's her second choice. Tymrak may not have the bag of tricks owned by the other two but she looks pass first. She dribbles just as well in a crowd as in the open field. She can pass well from the dribble. Most impressively, she makes good decisions on the fly.

23. TeaDrinkerful

TeaDrinkerful Member

Aug 29, 2013
    Club:
    --other--
    thats the right one, and rapinoe said that only about herself. Its funny because i was watching reign and thorns games and was only looking at rapinoe and heath plays, and rapinoe got dispossessed a lot more than heath did, go check out the footage if you dont think its true. thats the problem with people here, most of them think that the entire game revolves around passing, the reason heath goes past more than one defender is because she is trying to break through enemy defense to get something going, we see mostly "her" doing it because the other players suck at it. only sometimes a "pass" from someone good like rapinoe works but it needs to be perfectly timed for alex to make a run on that pass to not be off-side, those are hard to do and the other team doesn't allow those much, so then comes in heath messing up their defense and making chances. heath very rarely gets dispossessed and the double team thing almost never happens, people keep pointing at like 2 times that it happened, O'Reilly, Lloyd, Rapinoe, and every other person besides rampone get dispossessed way more than heath, but for some reason people only seem to remember the 2 times heath got dispossessed rofl

24. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Obviously Im not going to convince u and it's all a matter of opinion anyway. But let me leave u with this...of the three outside mids in 2012 who played the fewest minutes yet had the most assists? The correct answer is HAO.

25. TeaDrinkerful

TeaDrinkerful Member

Aug 29, 2013
    Club:
    --other--
    that sounds correct