USWNT player ratings (including future players and prospects)

Discussion in 'USA Women: News and Analysis' started by WPS_Movement, Jun 22, 2013.

1. WPS_Movement

WPS_Movement Member+

Apr 9, 2008
    Two ratings are given:
    - Current rating.
    - And their "ceiling" rating (aka their realistic highest potential peak rating in the future).

FORWARDS
    Alex Morgan (97) (99) (only Marta has achieved a 99 rating before. Can Baby Horse do it?)
    Abby Wambach (95) (95) (but had as high as a 98 rating in the past)
    Sydney Leroux (93) (97) (if she played more, she could reach her ceiling eventually)
    Christen Press (92) (97) (both Leroux & Press have a higher ceiling than Abby going forward)
    Amy Rodriguez (90) (93) (current rating is based on where she was before maternity leave)
    Lindsey Horan (90) (96) (still young, but has a ton of ceiling yet to achieve. Future Wombat?)
    Sarah Hagen (90) (94) (maybe not quite the ceiling of Horan, but still not too far behind)
    Maya Hayes (88) (95) (has speed to burn, and has a lot of potential left to reach)
    Summer Green (87) (93) (has more ceiling to reach, but she's got her hands full with this crew)
    Amber Munerlyn (86) (96) (the fact she's coming to UNC with a 86 rating at her age is insane)

MIDFIELDERS
    Megan Rapinoe (94) (96) (has achieved most of her potential, but still has more ceiling left)
    Shannon Boxx (94) (94) (but had as high as a 96 rating in the past)
    Lauren Cheney (92) (95) (had a 93 rating back in 2011)
    Tobin Heath (91) (94) (not the international megastar some thought she'd be, but still good)
    Carli Lloyd (91) (93) (not the most fundamental player, has the knack for big plays-big games)
    Heather O'Reilly (91) (91) (former 94, had already peaked before, still a serviceable player)
    Becky Edwards (90) (93) (not quite the ceiling Amber Brooks has, but is more proven so far)
    Brittany Tymrak (89) (95) (extreme potential. almost as high as a Rapinoe ceiling)
    Kristie Mewis (89) (93) (not the ceiling that some have, but still a player who can develop)
    Kealia Ohai (89) (95) (has loads of potential, and could be a better version of O'Reilly in future)
    Amber Brooks (89) (94) (a defensive mid that has a world of potential there)
    Yael Averbuch (88) (92) (some say she's a tweener, which could hurt her ceiling some)
    Meghan Klingenberg (88) (93) (still has lots of growth and maturity left in her game)
    Morgan Brian (88) (96) (her brain & vision gives her more ceiling than just about any other mids)
    Vanessa DiBernardo (87) (93) (also has great vision and is a playmaker & scorer with flair)
    Cloee Colohan (87) (93) (has a load of potential. just beginning to scratch her surface)
    Sarah Killion (87) (92) (could be a defensive mid candidate down the road)
    Morgan Andrews (87) (96) (unbelievable potential. could be all-world in her future)

DEFENDERS
    Christie Rampone (94) (94) (has achieved her peak already, had a rating of 96 in the past)
    Ali Krieger (93) (94) (has almost reached her full potential, her development has been efficient)
    Kelley O'Hara (92) (96) (has a very high ceiling as an outside back)
    Becky Sauerbrunn (92) (94) (not spectacular, but steady, consistent, reliable, and proven)
    Whitney Engen (92) (96) (Engen keeps getting better, and could be the best of them all here)
    Crystal Dunn (91) (96) (believe it or not, she's already up to a 91, with lots more ceiling left)
    Amy LePeilbet (91) (92) (current rating is based on where she was before her injury)
    Rachel Buehler (91) (91) (peaked in the past, not a starting defender in Sermanni's future)
    Julie Johnston (90) (95) (loads of potential, and could be a future captain as well)
    Cari Roccaro (87) (95) (her potential is almost Rampone like)

GOALKEEPERS
    Hope Solo (96) (97) (had a rating as high as 97 in the past, and may squeeze it out again)
    Nicole Barnhart (92) (93) (she actually improved from a 91 to 92 recently. still more room?)
    Jill Loyden (91) (92) (would start for close to 80% of the Top 20 FIFA ranked teams)
    Ashlyn Harris (90) (93) (has more potential to reach, but she's in a logjam here)
    Adrianna Franch (90) (95) (not quite Hope's ceiling, but more than anyone else here, except....)
    Jane Campbell (88) (95) (88 at her age is incredible. future in good hands with her and Franch)

"An embarrassment of riches"

Namdynamo and Berchtesgaden repped this.
  2. Calci0

Calci0 Member

Jun 22, 2013
    NC
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Just curious how you go about determining "ceiling"?

3. Berchtesgaden

Berchtesgaden Member+

May 18, 2011
    Milwaukee
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Do they provide a what the number translates into as far as expectations? For example

97-100 world class
    93-96 international starter

Thanks in advance

4. Got Jukes?

Got Jukes? Member

Feb 3, 2013
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Where do these ratings come from??? Are they only done on prospective players who have been to a full national camp?? I don't remember Amber M or Summer G being called into a full camp?

5. newsouth

newsouth Member

Nov 20, 2010
    Club:
    Santos FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil

Namdynamo repped this.
  6. BlueCrimson

BlueCrimson Member+

North Carolina Courage
    United States
    Nov 21, 2012
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Could you stop with the Fullbach crap? It's disrespectful and rude.

7. newsouth

newsouth Member

Nov 20, 2010
    Club:
    Santos FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil

When you stop using horse, since they are pretty much the same in the "naming" game. It's just you and everyone else attached "cuteness" to horse. Thanks.

It's so funny, because they use to call John Elway Mr Ed in Denver because of the teeth. :rolleyes:

[​IMG]

What's funny is, if I had posted Morgan runs like a horse before anyone, you would have been crying about that is disrespectful.

I once said Sydney has a running style like a T-Rex. Now, people are talking about her running style, even her team mates. :rolleyes:

8. Calci0

Calci0 Member

Jun 22, 2013
    NC
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    I venture we'll agree to disagree. Especially after seeing that it "seems" you are Pro-Press and anti-Morgan, I doubt there is anything that would sway your opinion anyway. But at this point I'll say these "ratings" are fair. If you want to say Press is a (93) and on par with Leroux, I won't argue that. She no doubt is impressive, and has skills. In an ideal world the US could use a 4-3-3 with Morgan, Press, and Loroux on the field. Both have been used as subs, and both have excelled there, scoring goals. Both are putting up impressive numbers in their respective leagues. But to be be fair, with the conspiracy theories not included, Leroux has seen more NT time, which tells me that she and her skill set is highly thought of.

As for the Morgan - Marta thing?!? I thought this was a USWNT list? And currently I don't know that Marta is better than Morgan anyway. Was she better at one point, yes! Could she regain form and take over again, YES. But as of this moment, I don't see it. They are at different points in their careers. One is coming into her prime. One is trying to get back to her prime before age begins to her play.

9. newsouth

newsouth Member

Nov 20, 2010
    Club:
    Santos FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil

He made Morgan a 99, and said, that was on par with Marta, since she is the only other 99 he has seen. Did you not see that? So, the comparison is warrant.

Press is more productive than Sydney. Look at Rick's numbers as far as equal number of minutes played with goal and asst stats on the NT. Press is a better club player. Drop off Sweden completely, and Press was better during her one yr at MagicJoke :rolleyes: without a coach and ankle tape :confused: vs. Sydney, who is in a more stable system.

Note: We could call Wambach a coach, but most of the bottom girls, esp Masar, at MagicJack stated, that's when their hell started.

Like I said, I say it like I see it. I have no problem with Ms Morgan, given she's the ULTIMATE direct forward, but her fans are a horse (no pun) of a different color.

10. Calci0

Calci0 Member

Jun 22, 2013
    NC
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    He said Morgan's ceiling was a 99, not that she was there yet. So thus not equal to Marta at her best as of this time.

As for Press being more productive. Press at MJ 19app 8 goals. Loroux with the Whitecaps in 2011 11app 11 goals. As for the NT, the sample size isn't enough for Press in my opinion. But I'd say Loroux has proved her worth at multiple levels. At U20 39 app 24 goals. That's an impressive strike rate. And 17 goals out of 38apps for the senior team with limited minutes in many of those games is also top rate. They are different players, with different skill sets. That have yet to truly get a chance to shine. If either breaks though and gets to start by the next WC, it'll show just how good they are.

11. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Tymraks first name is Erika not Brittany.

12. WPS_Movement

WPS_Movement Member+

Apr 9, 2008

Yeah I knew that. Her running style and pushing the ball forward through traffic reminds me of someone that I know named Brittany, so somehow I typed Brittany instead. I watched Erika Tymrak play at Florida on TV plenty of times, so I knew that, but thanks for the heads up.

13. WPS_Movement

WPS_Movement Member+

Apr 9, 2008
    Marta in 2009 > Morgan in 2013.
    However, Morgan in 2015 could equal Marta, in Marta's best years.

However, Morgan's ceiling (2015, 2016, etc.) is Marta like in 2009, unless you want to award an extra point to Marta for flair and dancing on the ball (which Morgan doesn't quite have compared to Marta).

In terms of goal scoring, Morgan has the potential to be every bit as dangerous as Marta in her best years. In terms of distribution and assists, Morgan is also every bit as dangerous as Marta there as well. In terms of beating defenders to the ball, Morgan is as good as Marta there, but Morgan is better than Marta at shielding a defender off that ball, or somehow miraculously coming up with the ball in a one-on-one battle when it didn't look like it would go her way at first, and then she gallops and scores a goal from it. However, Marta is a bit better at drawing a foul in the box.

14. newsouth

newsouth Member

Nov 20, 2010
    Club:
    Santos FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil

Dancing :ROFLMAO:

Even Ronaldinho played with flair and dance. It's genetics, but it didn't take away from what he was at his peak before the parties. :ROFLMAO:

It's almost like saying, Donovan > Dinho, because Dinho like to samba after a goal. :ROFLMAO:

Marta in 2009 > Morgan in 2013
    Marta in 2007 > Morgan in 2015

Note: And I need to see what they do with Press by 2015. Do the games continue with her talent, or do they open the pitch (an attack which favors her skill sets) up for her, because if the ladder happens, she will put a dent in everyone's numbers.

As I said, all USA attackers can score more goals over a career internationally than Marta, because she just doesn't get the caps. She just had her 1st cap since the Olympics as a sub several days ago.

As hot as Press is in Sweden, she still looks slower off the ball than a semi-fit Marta in Tyreso.

Also, remember Marta is a small girl. She's not in that 5'7 forward club with Scheline, Sinclair, Morgan, Press, Sydney, Delie, Prinz, etc, more in the range of A-Rod, Masar, Devanna, Japanese forwards and the other mini-mites on the pitch. But she performs like the bigger girls.

15. Ledbetter

Ledbetter Member

Jun 27, 2013
    Club:
    Los Angeles Sol
    All,

Would the WNT be better off switching from the 4-1-2-1-2 diamond to a 4-2-3-1?

The lineup could be:
    Center Forward - Wambach/Morgan
    Left Winger - Morgan/Leroux
    Attacking Midfielder - Rapinoe/Heath/Brian
    Right Winger - Press/O'Reilly
    Defensive Midfielder - Cheney/Mewis
    Defensive Midfielder - Lloyd/Averbuch
    Left Back - O'Hara/Mewis/Dunn
    Center Back - Sauerbrunn/Buehler
    Center Back - Engen/Rampone
    Right Back - Krieger/Lepeilbet

The pros would be:
    - The attack would mainly consist of the CF, LW, AM, RW, LB, and RB (6 players), leaving the 2DMs and 2CBs (4 players) for defense. (The LB and RB are involved in the attack out wide.)
    - On defense, the shell would revert to a 4-5-1, that is, the base 4 defenders, would not only be supported by the 2DMs, but the AM, LW and RW would still have defensive responsibilities. So, at times, 9 players on defense, and a cluttered midfield.
    - Wambach is the best header in the world.
    - The attack would also rely heavily on the abilities of the LW and RW to beat the opposing LB and RB.

A con would be:
    - As good as I think Rapinoe and Heath are, I'd mostly be concerned that the AM be able to get the ball forward, in good positions, for the CF, LW, and RW.

I hope the coach tries this a couple times before 2015.

16. BlueCrimson

BlueCrimson Member+

North Carolina Courage
    United States
    Nov 21, 2012
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The 4231 was tried after the World Cup, and scrapped after Morgan forced her way into the lineup with her performance in the Olympic Qualifying Final.

17. newsouth

newsouth Member

Nov 20, 2010
    Club:
    Santos FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    France, Japan and Germany would use up Heath as a starter. Press isn't a winger. Powerful mid-field like Germany would turn her into a ghost like they have already done. Sydney is better suited on the wings. Dunn is #2 at left or right back, would probably start if Kreiger didn't have the experience edge. Also, Sermanni needs a gunner pushing up the lines late in games.

18. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    At some point Sermanni needs to start Press and Morgan for no other reason than to stop the speculation. It also gives opposing teams something else to worry about. Each pairing up top has to be defended differently and the more he is willing to go with the combination of the day the tougher it will be for teams to prepare.

19. Calci0

Calci0 Member

Jun 22, 2013
    NC
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    I think Leroux has proven she deserves the opportunity to stay up front. This is the good problem with having so many options. You don't want to bench Wambach. Morgan has proved her worth. Loroux has excelled when given the chance. And Press is the new kid on the block, that has shown she can perform. It's hard to give them all PT.

20. BlueCrimson

BlueCrimson Member+

North Carolina Courage
    United States
    Nov 21, 2012
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What a great problem to have- too many top quality forwards.

21. WPS_Movement

WPS_Movement Member+

Apr 9, 2008

Start Press and Morgan up top.
    Bring in Wambach in the 60th minute for Press.
    Bring in Leroux in the 70th minute for Morgan.

Wambach's power and headers, and Leroux's speed, will be too much for a tired defense to defend late in the match, after 60-70 minutes of chasing Press and Morgan around.

Namdynamo repped this.
  22. Ledbetter

Ledbetter Member

Jun 27, 2013
    Club:
    Los Angeles Sol
    Well, maybe it's just a fantasy, I'd like to see at least 45 mins of Morgan at LW, Wambach at CF, and Press at RW. They don't all have to go charging into the box at the same time, but 1 serve it to the other 2; E.g., Morgan cross to Wambach at near or Press at far.

Arn't there friendlies coming up in November?

http://www.fifa.com/mm/document/wor...ve/01/97/12/55/////matchcalendar2013-2014.pdf

23. taosjohn

taosjohn Member+

Dec 23, 2004
    taos,nm
    I kinda doubt that Sermanni is even aware that there is speculation, and really doubt he feels compelled to do anything about it...

24. newsouth

newsouth Member

Nov 20, 2010
    Club:
    Santos FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil

Here was a strong post by Reality: There are also some good posts by Rick. I think his company contracts with the Red Bulls organization. And I don't think Rick plays favorites like some of us, because he has posted many times his wife/partner is a big Leroux and Wambach fan, not Morgan or Press. I love the exchanges between these two guys.

Reality
    Wambach had an excellent game against a second rate team in which everyone was feeding her opportunities to score goals. Although I think overall that Mia Hamm was a better player than Wambach, at least we can now dispense with the misallocation of resources and effort within the team...in theory.
    The truth is that the fix is in for the next 2 years in regard to the lineup. Wambach has apparently decided that she is the royal successor to Hamm and now she has the right to designate her successor...namely Morgan. She is also showing support for Leroux but no mention is made by her of Press. This is curious on the face of it insofar as Press has the best goal to minutes played ratio on the team and is tied with Morgan in goals even when she hasn't played consistently as a forward.
    As NYRick mentioned in a previous post, Sermanni has not played Morgan and Press together. We don't know why but this is also curious.
    Back in 2011, Sundhage neglected Press completely and gave Morgan the opportunity to partner with Wambach...this was curious since she had a superior record to Morgan both in college and the WPS.
    And btw, in the WPS when Wambach was coaching the magicJack team, she pretty much shut out Press especially after she got a hat trick as a rookie.
    What do all these dismissals of Press have in common?
    In every one of these situations, Wambach undoubtedly was an influence.
    She was looking for someone for the National team back in 2011 that would enable her to continue her dominance...not challenge her but support her. Morgan appeared and was compliant with that description. Press was not and in fact Press was capable of overshadowing Wambach in being the star of the team.
    Now you will say that Morgan has turned into that star but I will say that was not evident at the time. She had natural speed and was good with a "Hail Mary" pass but IMO Wambach saw her as a feeder who would help her to score more goals. To Morgan's credit, she was patient and did her duty while at the same time gaining much playing time and experience which increased her skill level. Since she has shown total loyalty to Wambach, they have formed an unbreakable alliance.
    Press threatens that alliance and Wambach's status. So, at every turn in Press's career, Wambach has been there to block her and continues to do so to this day. Sermanni in his first year as coach would be very courageous and foolhardy to oppose her in this matter.
    I, like you, and everyone else want the U.S. team to win the WC15 and to be the best team possible. Although Wambach is capable of outstanding performance, she is getting old and her physical abilities, as with all athletes, are in the decline. 2 years is a long time in the sense that many unforeseen events can occur to change the present circumstances. But 2 years is a short time if one wants to proactively plan for the future growth of the team. It would be unfortunate if we remained in a time warp extolling the glories of the past and depending upon them to emerge magically in WC15.
    As I've said in previous comments, Wambach undoubtedly has superior qualities of leadership and experience and she wants to win the WC15. But I also think that she appreciates that her chances of winning it could be improved if she modified her role. Her sterling qualities as team leader at this point in time are directing traffic and making the assist connections with her superb passes. By playing at center mid she could maximize her contribution to the team by emphasizing those qualities and allowing Morgan and Press to flourish at the forward positions. She would still have opportunities to make goals but Morgan and Press would be better at it right now and especially in the future. The future of the NT should not be held hostage to one individual's ambition. The best athletes know when it is time to gracefully transition.

NYRick [COLOR=rgba(30, 55, 70, 0.4)]

This is an absolutely brilliant post, I'm sorry I missed it initially and didn't get a chance to compliment you on it. Maybe one of the best and smartest things I've seen written on these boards. And it has nothing to do with whether you're an Abby fan, an Alex fan or a Press fan. It's about psychology and personalities and people in power dictating actions. I've taken to now calling Abby "Coach Abby." TS is a mere figurehead much like the Queen of England. Also, truth be told, I have nothing against Abby. She isn't my favorite player, but none the less she's been a terrific player for the program, and as a US player I certainly root for her.
    But at this point I am so tired of talking about the Press situation or Pressteria that I could really care less about it anymore. It is not going to happen for her on this team, regardless if she is the greatest thing since slice bread or just an overhyped phenom. That girl is so screwed on this team that it's laughable. And the pattern in her career that's always evident for the blockage is…one Ms. Abby Wambach as you have pointed out. Alex is compliant in all this because Abby has her so believing that she owes everything to her. Alex is a brilliant player and would have emerged with or without Abby. She'll realize that someday. Press on the other hand doesn't buy into all the Abby BS. She respects her as a great player but doesn't bow at her alter. And that drives Abby crazy and has since their magichat days, and since she has the power and status on the NT, guess which one she is backing all the way? She even tastelessly and boldly points it out in interviews. But Abby's all class, we've been told that.
    I've said this before in terms of why Abby wants so badly to foster and zealously protect the Alex pairing with her. It's simple really. With an Alex pairing, everything goes through Abby. With a Press pairing, everything would go through Press. This is just human psychology, and Abby still so much considers herself and wants to continue to be considered "the star." Alex is no threat to her on the surface although if Abby fully opened her eyes she would understand that she unleashed a monster star in Alex. It wasn't supposed to fully play out that way for Abby, but it has. But Press would have been an easy call for Abby to see as a star. With Alex, she wasn't quite sure and now can't do a thing about it other than continue to foster it to her advantage.
    The proper forward pairing now, and to WC15 is Alex-Press. It's so ridiculously evident for any coach that it has become borderline silly. At least try it for crying out loud for a match or two. Syd is an Alex clone and Alex is a way better player, and Abby can still have her moments, but should be phased as a 20-minute player even now. Rant over on this till September. Just wanted to answer a brilliant poster who understands how sports and powerful team dynamics really work.[/COLOR]

25. Calci0

Calci0 Member

Jun 22, 2013
    NC
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Press is no doubt an elite talent. But again it's not like get sample size at the NT level is huge. Is that her fault... No. Could internal team dynamics play a part, I don't doubt it. But at least to this point Wambach had not shown she hasn't earned her starting spot. She hasn't really shown she's lost a step either. So unfortunately for Press there is a log jam for forwards. And I still don't agree that Syd is a clone of Morgan. Nor that Morgan easily outclasses her. Again it's all about opportunity. Some feel as if there would be no drop off from Wambach to Press. Well I feel the same about Morgan and Leroux. And again that's a good problem to have. 4 elite talents that are pretty interchangeable with seamless transition of quality. And Press will eventually have her chance whether its due to beating out Wambach or Wambach retiring. I'm no Wambach fanboi, but again I'll give credit where credit is due, and she has earned her starting spot.

sisterluke and ForeverLOST108 repped this.