USWNT lawsuit in the news, but pay equality a global fight at Women's World Cup

Discussion in 'Women's International' started by LouisianaViking07/09, Jun 28, 2019.

1. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
  2. SSC_curva_B

SSC_curva_B Member

Feb 22, 2007
    Montreal
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I think the market should dictate pay for women in international competitions like the WC. In this case there is high demand to watch women play sport at an international level (versus club level) therefore I think it is only right that their salary is reflective of this. I do not think it should be completely equal to men, so long as people tend to greatly favor watching men compete.

LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  3. Cliveworshipper

Cliveworshipper Member+

Dec 3, 2006
  4. Cliveworshipper

Cliveworshipper Member+

Dec 3, 2006
    USA advances. I love Megan Rapinoe.

5. SSC_curva_B

SSC_curva_B Member

Feb 22, 2007
    Montreal
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I totally missed that but that this great. I have never watch a woman's soccer game.

6. MiLLeNNiuM

MiLLeNNiuM Member+

Aug 28, 2016
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Interesting graphic, which I just saw yesterday.

Revenue Comp.JPG

7. Bauser

Bauser Member+

Dec 23, 2000
    Norway
    Club:
    Fredrikstad FK
    Very predictable if you ask me. Nobody expects the women's World Cup to generate as much money as the men's World Cup. Certainly not in 2019. The difference in tourism is enormous. When Norway played in the 1998 World Cup against Brazil in Marseille, we had something like 15 000 supporters down there. When Norway played France next door in Nice this summer, may be like 500.

So far I think only Norway and the Netherlands have signed on for the equal pay deal. But the USWNT are pretty much the only womens' team in the world who are in the ballpark to compete commercially with their male colleagues in their domestic market.

LouisianaViking07/09 and MiLLeNNiuM repped this.
  8. HeadSpun

HeadSpun Member

Nov 14, 2014
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Hopefully the 'REVENUE' figures used in this graphic are compiled only of monies that came from the event and were paid to FIFA. That would exclude overall hotel, or other tourism revenue, that while beneficial to the host cities, are not revenue to the organizer.

The generalized "Revenue" doesn't' tell us enough. Also, some of the more important aspects of player compensation that the suit is asking to be addressed are minimum salary levels, travel, facilities, etc....not just "Prize Money" at one event held every 4 years.

With the success of this WWC, FIFA will be able to realize much more revenue from advertising, sponsorship, media, etc. The WWC is the "money maker" from which more support and various compensation (not just prize money) could be allocated in order to better support the growth of the sport.

I'd like this to be the focus and not the debate on "Equal". In a compensation package, "equal" could mean many things with vastly different values; the equal dollar figure or equal percentage of revenue, etc.

Improved and Fair would be a great start.

I also hope that a residual benefit from the attention the USWNT's law suit will be increased support, facilities, base salary, etc for the countries with budding, yet underfunded women's programs.

MiLLeNNiuM repped this.
  9. tom e

tom e New Member

Barcelona
    United States
    Mar 29, 2021
    Women's World Cup revenue 131 million .. mens 6 billion .. ENOUGH SAID!

10. shlj

shlj Member+

Apr 16, 2007
    London
    Club:
    FC Nantes
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    Yeah, for example, no WNT player in France is asking for equal pay with the MNT, they even say it on the record that they are not asking for it.

11. law10

law10 Member+

Dec 26, 2007
    It's not as simple as applying existing economic reality to determine compensatory value.

That a significant group have not been given the opportunities others have needs to be appreciated and factored in. For example, in Canada there is a law which "requires federal jurisdiction employers to engage in proactive employment practices to increase the representation of four designated groups: women, people with disabilities, Aboriginal peoples, and visible minorities."

This is why countries are doing pay equity for national representation.