USWNT Gold Cup Roster

Discussion in 'USA Women: News and Analysis' started by FearM9, Oct 16, 2002.

1. lasoccervegas2002

Jul 7, 2002
    this planet
    I thought you all know, ok i tell you again, once for all : Wambach is getting married w/ me , thats why she is not in the roster.

2. SomebodyOrOther

SomebodyOrOther BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 8, 2002
    Over here!
    As always, just my not-entirely-educated-fan's $0.02.

Yes, but that day is not today, and I think that's all anyone's point about Solo is. She needs TIME, and there are keepers that are hands down better players currently. We have youth teams and college ball and then the WUSA to get Solo up to speed, so let's see some other currently better keepers get a shot at their dreams of playing for the NT instead of getting passed over. Solo will be fine, once she learns to make better decisions, and she may very well be the NT keeper of the future. I just think she needs to illustrate decision-making capability at some intermediate levels before she gets a shot to play with the big kids again.

I'll say the same about O'Reilly as well. She sure ran around a lot and has some nice skills, but she doesn't show the same soccer savvy that Wager, Lilly, and Foudy do. She needs time, and she's young, so she's GOT time. We have lots of very good players now, so why rush the kids in and weaken the whole team as a result by having people that aren't quite ready at the international level yet?

I don't see what Hucles brings to the NT particularly, but I suspect April has a soft spot for her because she played for April in college. My reaction to Angela at the international level is "whatever". Not good, not bad, just...whatever.

And just because I've been trying to resist saying it, but I can't....
    FRENCH!!!!!! :mad: Is it only me that thinks she's an obvious replacement at left outside back for an injured Slaton?? (Yes, damnit I'm going to beat that dead horse until it gets up and walks again! :D )

Agreed that the jury's still out on Reddick. There's potential there, but how it will be realized remains to be seen. She's another one I'd like to see given some time before she comes back up with the NT.

No Abby is a LAME decision!!!!!!!!!! I'll personally take her on my team over Parlow any day.

3. UWHusky

UWHusky New Member

Aug 27, 2001
    Seattle, WA
    :eek: Do you have any idea how cool it would be to see Frenchie play in Safeco?

I must confess, a long time ago I conceived this possibility but dismissed it as wishful thinking. Is Frenchie still considered part of the National Team Pool?

I get the feeling that for many it people it's more than just that. I get the feeling that some people think Solo will never "be fine," will never deserve a spot on the roster, especially at the expense of their favorite keeper.

The animosity is incredible.

It's as if some people will forever remember her as the teenager who nearly blew the Mexico game. Oh yes, what an unforgivable offense! So unforgivable that anything notable she does now either was a mistake or is immediately forgotten. What? She didn't make a spectacular diving save in the Scotland game--She failed to stop the second shot. She didn't single-handedly prevent Scotland's possible go-ahead goal just before halftime when all the defenders fell asleep--Scotland's second goal was ALL her fault when she came off her line too early, nevermind that the defenders were again out of position. :rolleyes:

My point is NOT to hail Solo as the greatest keeper in the world and to demand that she play the Gold Cup. That would probably destroy my credibility (assuming I have any to begin with). I meant what I said, though, about comparing the way some people treat Solo with the way many of us US, non-Beat fans treat Hooper. HOPE SOLO IS NOT THE ENEMY!!!!! And if there are any US fans who doubt the veracity of that statement, then I would question their credibility. I'm not trying to be inflammatory or rude or anything, I'm serious.

So who thinks Hope Solo is the enemy?

4. thegoofy1

thegoofy1 New Member

Dec 8, 2001
    Denver, CO
    Probably the Canucks and mexicans :p

And I would LOVE to see Frenchie have another shot on the team. But she hasn't been called up for how long?

5. AB1FAN

AB1FAN New Member

Sep 11, 2001
    whereever I want
    Club:
    FFC Turbine Potsdam
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't think she is the enemy. I just don't feel like she should be placed so high on the considoration to be placed on the roster above higher most experienced better keepers. She still needs time to be there.

6. piper

piper New Member

I don't think she's the enemy... but I agree with the whole time factor. She needs more expierience, but would Ape stick her in a game against a Norway or China when she almost blew a game against Mexico?

I think the WUSA will be good for her. She'll get to go up against some of the best players in the world... she gain expierience in the league. I wouldn't just stick her in a NT game for it.

Scurry and Siri earned their spots. I don't think there's room for Solo right now.

I know I dogg her a lot, it's mostly to get a rise out of people. In no way do I hate her like I hate the Norwegian Boob Grabbers. :D

7. DCUPopeAndLillyFan

Apr 20, 2000
    Colorado
    What the hell does THAT have to do with anything? I should hate someone because I'm an American and they're a Canadian???

8. lasoccervegas2002

Jul 7, 2002
    this planet
    by the way this is my starting 11, what do you think:
    ----------------Mulinix

Sobrero---Fawcett----Chastain----Redick

Mc Millan----Foudy------Wagner----Lilly

O'Reilly--------Tarpley------Kelly Wilson

these three forwards will produce lots and lots of goals.

9. FearM9

FearM9 New Member

Jul 14, 2000
    On my bike
    Tarpley and Wilson ain't on the Gold Cup roster......

10. lasoccervegas2002

Jul 7, 2002
    this planet

Mc Millan as a super sub.

11. outsidehitter

outsidehitter New Member

Jul 27, 2002
    Hmmm, if for some reason they went back to the 4-3-3, you would choose O'Reilly/Tarpley/Wilson over Millbrett/Hamm/Parlow? Ignore that if you were kidding.

12. UWHusky

UWHusky New Member

Aug 27, 2001
    Seattle, WA
    No. I wasn't talking about nationality, I was simply talking about our team. I'm a fan of the USWNT, I was addressing fans of the USWNT, Solo plays for the USWNT. It wasn't a bigotted comment. These are the soccer boards, so if I said, "I don't like the Canadians," I wouldn't be referring to every citizen in Canada. I'd be referring to the Canadian National Team.

If I said, "I don't the Yankees" or "I don't like the Lakers," there'd be no confusion. The only difference here is that players can't be traded from National Team to National Team. But my comment was not about nationality.

I don't have a problem with people from Canada. For that matter, I don't have a problem with people from Norway or Germany or China either. I don't make blanket statements about groups of people anyway.

The reason I don't like Canada, or rather, the Canadian National Team, is that they play against the USWNT. Who's the enemy in the Gold Cup? The Canadian NT.

I don't take issue with what most people have to say about Solo. As a matter of fact, I do agree that she is not among the top 2 keepers and therefore shouldn't be at WCQ. I take issue with people treating her like she's the enemy.

Sorry, maybe I should lighten up.

BTW, Piper, you happen to be in the majority when it comes to "dogging" Solo.

13. DCUPopeAndLillyFan

Apr 20, 2000
    Colorado
    Husky - Thanks for explaining yourself, your original wording came across as a bit odd.

Fans sometimes hate opposing players, but they tend to hate players they think are dragging their own team down even more. Just ask Freedom fans what they think of Tracey Milburn...

14. AB1FAN

AB1FAN New Member

Sep 11, 2001
    whereever I want
    Club:
    FFC Turbine Potsdam
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    yes Tracey should not be playing. please boot her off the field.

15. luvdagame

luvdagame Member+

Jul 6, 2000
    quote:
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Originally posted by lasoccervegas2002
    by the way this is my starting 11, what do you think:
    ----------------Mulinix

Sobrero---Fawcett----Chastain----Redick

----Foudy------Wagner----Lilly

O'Reilly--------Tarpley------Kelly Wilson

these three forwards will produce lots and lots of goals.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    thanks for changing it back to 11 players. i was worried that fifa had a new rule that i was unaware of.

i'm worried about somethingelse.

NO MIA?

you've got to be kidding!!!!!!!!

16. Chiefs

Chiefs New Member

Dec 21, 2001
    Once again, April surprises me...or does she? I never know what she is going to do anymore, except, one thing for sure, you know there will be a high school player on the roster. April loves the young bucks. It's too bad she is taking the college players away from their college games. I am a firm believer that college is very important, both educationally and being there with YOUR team. This tournament isn't a huge deal and we know Wagner will be there in the end. I can't believe Abby isn't there. Wonder if she did something to make April mad?? The rest thing could be possible too. It would be great to see French playing at Safeco, but April seems to have forgotten about her too. I wonder how Beene is feeling right now?

17. lasoccervegas2002

Jul 7, 2002
    this planet

Mia and Mc Millan are comin' off the bench.

18. UWHusky

UWHusky New Member

Aug 27, 2001
    Seattle, WA
    No problem, glad I could clear things up. I understand how my statement could have been misinterpreted in that way.

Milburn for the DC, Webber for NY, Dorn for SJ.

I think it's unfounded to stick Solo in that group, though. But that's just my opinion, which is every bit as biased for her as the opinion of those who would disagree with me is biased against her. Is this still about Mexico? Or is it just easier to bring that up than it is to say, "Damn that Solo! Since she's on the roster, [insert favorite keeper here] isn't! Grr!"

I'll admit that I didn't care at all for Solo until I learned she was a Husky. I know, though, that not everyone has the tie to the Purple and Gold that I do, so I understand not everyone has a reason to get over the initial "Who the hell is Hope Solo and why is she challenging [insert favorite keeper here] for a spot?" reaction. It doesn't mean I'm going to take the abuse sitting down, though. ;)

Besides, keep in mind, Hope Solo cannot be traded to another team, and she is not going away.

19. AB1FAN

AB1FAN New Member

Sep 11, 2001
    whereever I want
    Club:
    FFC Turbine Potsdam
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    my favourite goalies are there. my other favs play for other countries and than my other hasn't been on the roster since Ape came to town. so no that isn't part of it. I do still think Solo should be part of the "please god take them off the field" roster.

20. BrandiC63

BrandiC63 New Member

Apr 8, 2000
    Piscataway, NJ
    There are no danders up at all. I knew you meant National Team games. And what I am saying is of course Abby is going to be better than Heather. Abby has played in 4 years of college, plus 1 year of the WUSA. Thats awesome competition and experience gained. Heather hasnt played a college game, nor WUSA. She has yet to gain the experience Abby has gotten. Besides. We cant really compare Wambach to O'Reilly. They are completely different, just besides their age. Experience/competition, one is 5'10 and the other 5'4, and they have completly different playing styles. Sorry if i seemed in the past few posts to have biten ur head off, but that wasnt the intention at all.

21. BrandiC63

BrandiC63 New Member

Apr 8, 2000
    Piscataway, NJ
    Okay this is bugging me...but anyway

Mullinix

Reddick

MacMillan

22. AB1FAN

AB1FAN New Member

Sep 11, 2001
    whereever I want
    Club:
    FFC Turbine Potsdam
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    thanks! it was starting to borther me too.

23. charcroson

charcroson New Member

Nov 22, 2000
    Okay, I see your point now. Nonetheless, do you think O'Reilly should've gotten the nod over Wambach? I would've thought that b/c this is a qualifying tournament for the WC, that Heinrichs would have taken Wambach over O'Reilly. I mean, is this the tournament to be giving her playing time, over say, working the WC team together as much as possible? I can't imagine O'Reilly over Wambach in the WC.

24. M9fanatic

M9fanatic Member

Oct 31, 2000
    North Side.
    No I really don't have an oppinion about what kind of keeper she will be in the future. And you know what if she indeed does at some point earn the title of worlds best keeper than good for her. My point has always been. NOT NOW while we have Siri, Bri and Beene.

But honestly my quip about rejoicing at the absence of her name on this roster wasn't meant to be confrontational. I was meant to be lighthearted sarcasm, to take the edge of yet another questionable roster pick, i.e. no Abby. ;)

Sarcasm... it seems to get misinterpreted a lot.

25. FanOfFutbol

FanOfFutbol Member+

The Mickey Mouse Club or The breakfast Club
    May 4, 2002
    Limbo
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Baring a total collapse the ONLY competition for the US in this tournament should be Canada.

The next closest team, Mexico, does not have either the talent, coaching, or money for training to get within four goals of a US team playing at even half of its ability.

This means that it maters not at all who is on the roster. Our U19s and probably our U16s would beat everyone but Canada.

Even the Ape's shoddy coaching and questionable picks cannot possibly screw up this one.