USWNT COACH 2.0 DISCUSSION

Discussion in 'USA Women: News and Analysis' started by sisterluke, Apr 8, 2014.

1. ForeverLOST108

ForeverLOST108 Member+

Jan 23, 2010
    Orlando
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Jumping ship before he can be blamed for any inexperienced keeper issues.

2. lil_one

lil_one Member+

Nov 26, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Even more to speculate on...if you go on the website, Gustavsson is not listed either. Only Dawn Scott is listed under Jill Ellis.

3. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    And then USSoccer makes it worse by lying and saying it's an old page. If it's an old page why does it have the GK coach as TBD.

4. holden

holden Member+

Dundee FC, Yeovil Town LFC, Girondins de Bordeaux
    Oct 20, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Dundee FC
    Could just be that he wants to settle down in one place and the opportunity arose due to the coaching change for the Dynamo (in case someone reading doesn't know, their coach Dominic Kinnear left for San Jose and Houston replaced him with former EPL manager Owen Coyle).

sitruc repped this.
  5. holden

holden Member+

Oct 20, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Dundee FC
    sitruc repped this.
  6. lil_one

lil_one Member+

Nov 26, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Its true that according to the wayback machine, Gustavsson was never listed (in the four captures I could find). However, I have to agree with kernel_thai that if you update the GK coach to TBD, why wouldn't you update it all? Of course, the website itself is evidence that whoever runs the website has no clue.

JanBalk repped this.
  7. holden

holden Member+

Oct 20, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Dundee FC
    Bingo! :D

If you go back further to when Sermanni was coach, you'll see that they never added Omid Namazi either.

sitruc repped this.
  8. Silver Frost

Silver Frost Member

Dec 17, 2014
    Is Heifitz in charge of this? If not, then who is? The MNT coach bios look slightly more up-to-date.

I read on EQ that Rogers replaced a GK coach who was hired only last week, but quit already. This means Rogers was presented with an opportunity out of the blue; no long term planning at all. He didn't love our WNT enough. Why?

They will go to France and England sans GK coach, and then it's two weeks to Algarve camp. Does not sound like much time to prepare GKs with a new coach.

9. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
  10. kool-aide

kool-aide Member+

Feb 1, 2002
    a van by the river
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Rogers could be leaving now b/c MLS is starting now and he needs to be there. He could be leaving for any number of reasons. Good luck to him. At this point, I'm more interested in who Ellis hires to replace him. Mostly b/c Solo has been running who gets called up for a long time b/c they haven't brought in true competition so she doesn't feel threatened and throw (bigger) fits. So what could (theoretically) be a very deep pool is rather thin on experience and therefore not as deep as it should be.

Pretty sure Heifitz is not in charge of the webpage or social media presence. But whoever is hasn't (imo) done a great job maintaining continuity or doing proper updates that aren't current game/score info. When they made the last design switch (the one before this one) they killed much of the old links so it became much, much harder to access info about rosters/camps from long ago. I think that archive ability is totally dead now. But I haven't tried to search for info there in a long time.

sitruc and lil_one repped this.
  11. shlj

shlj Member+

Apr 16, 2007
    London
    Club:
    FC Nantes
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    When I went to USA v France in Tampa, Heifetz was running the live twitter updates, there were 2 main press guys.

12. lil_one

lil_one Member+

Nov 26, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Agreed; the last website changes were awful, and the search function there is pretty much useless. But here's some suggestions (or at least what I do): I believe part of the problem is actually broken links as the info is still there. If you know a game that you're looking for information on, you can google it, and it'll work. For example, if you google "us soccer china august 1 2004," you'll find the article and game report on the US WNT 2004 Olympic sendoff game. But if you search from the ussoccer webpage, you can't find it, or if you do, the link is broken. The US Soccer media guide is also helpful in finding old statistics and rosters as are the Soccer America and Soccer Times archives.

13. Glove Stinks

Glove Stinks Member+

Jan 20, 2014
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Just speculation, but I imagine Phil Wheddon from Syracuse might jump in at least through Algarve. He is a regular Trainer with the Youth National Team Programing and, from what I understand, has partnered with Rogers on a number of projects. I know he is well respected and very familiar with Ellis

14. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Well some people r saying the Rogers has been thinking about this for a while but that isnt the case. Phil Hughes was named as the Dynamo GK coach 6 days ago. Then in the Rogers announcement, the Dynamo said Hughes was unable to take the job do to personal commitments. That makes the time frame for Rogers' decision this week.

15. lil_one

lil_one Member+

Nov 26, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He was also the GK coach with the WNT before Rogers (2003-4, 2007-8). He worked with the MNT between the two stints with the WNT. From his previous time with the team, he'd be familiar to Solo and Barnhart.

kool-aide repped this.
  16. kool-aide

kool-aide Member+

Feb 1, 2002
    a van by the river
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sure, but running a twitter live update while on location is different than maintaining the web presence. At one point I thought USSF hired the woman whose name I'm totally blanking on but was in charge of the WPS's IT stuff. I thought they hired her for the whole platform stuff--she'd gotten a good gig w/ MLS prior to that. I'll figure out her name in a bit.

17. shlj

shlj Member+

Apr 16, 2007
    London
    Club:
    FC Nantes
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    It is shame, I dont have the media guide anymore, I could have had a look at the people listed.

18. kool-aide

kool-aide Member+

Feb 1, 2002
    a van by the river
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Amanda Vandervort. I'm old. It took the memory a while to kick in. But a quick google tells me she isn't w/ USSF but still w/ MLS. But I swear I remember seeing her name attached to one of the big web redesigns for USSF. Then again, USSF is tied to the hip of SUM/MLS so...

eta: and she's doing a bunch of FIFA related stuff & NSCAA

19. lil_one

lil_one Member+

Nov 26, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The media guide is available on the website. It hasn't been updated with this year's yet but still pretty up-to-date: http://www.ussoccer.com/about/media-services/media-guide. From the guide, it looks like a guy named Philip Faniola might be the one in charge of the website; he's at least listed as the point of contact.

20. shlj

shlj Member+

Apr 16, 2007
    London
    Club:
    FC Nantes
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    I will ask them about the website next week as I will be in the press box for France v USA

ForeverLOST108 and mamalia repped this.
  21. holden

holden Member+

Oct 20, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Dundee FC
    Well Rogers very well might have applied/interviewed for the job months ago, but they decided to give it to Hughes. Then when Hughes pulled out, they offered it to Rogers.

22. holden

holden Member+

Oct 20, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Dundee FC
    When have they ever admitted to doing something wrong? ;)

kool-aide and JanBalk repped this.
  23. lil_one

lil_one Member+

Nov 26, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The rest of the story with Rogers: http://equalizersoccer.com/2015/01/29/rogers-dynamo-right-opportunity-despite-timing/

Rogers seems sure that the new GK coach will be someone who is familiar with the program (or, according to Rogers, at least known by Solo who he assumes will still be on the team and start). The coach could be in place as early as next week before the France game. So besides Phil Wheddon who's already been mentioned, who are other possibilities? I thought of Siri Mullinix with her coaching work with the YNT and Bill Irwin as well. What are the other possibilities?

24. Cliveworshipper

Cliveworshipper Member+

Dec 3, 2006

No brainer.

[​IMG]

Amy Griffin, Hope's college ( and Sounders?) GK coach who has been in the YNT and USWNT mix before.

25. BlueCrimson

BlueCrimson Member+

North Carolina Courage
    United States
    Nov 21, 2012
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No to Mullinix, for a couple of reasons:

-I'm absolutely disgusted by the allegations against her, and don't want her anywhere near our keepers.

-I don't want a contemporary of some players as a coach.

EbaJones repped this.