USWNT CBA

Discussion in 'USA Women: News and Analysis' started by Hexa, Dec 13, 2021.

1. Hexa

Hexa Member+

May 21, 2010
    Club:
    Vasco da Gama Rio Janeiro
    Interesting news from USSF. I couldn't find it posted here.

https://www.ussoccer.com/stories/2021/12/us-soccer-statement-on-nwsl-allocation

"The U.S. Soccer Federation and the U.S. Women’s National Team have reached a deal to end the current allocation system and to extend the no-strike/no-lockout agreement under our current collective bargaining agreement through at least March 31, 2022. While we hope and believe that CBA negotiations will be completed much sooner than March 31, 2022, we wanted to ensure we had sufficient time to reach an agreement. Under today’s agreement, U.S. Soccer will no longer pay the salaries of any USWNT players to play professionally in the NWSL, which had been the case since the beginning of the league. Today’s agreement demonstrates that U.S. Soccer and the USWNT can and will continue to work together for the good of the game."

"During this time, we’ll continue to encourage both our USWNT and USMNT to come together around one table to agree on a path forward that benefits everyone and drives progress for the future of our game. This includes our joint priority of equalizing FIFA World Cup prize money. Only together can we achieve that aim. "

It seems USSF will split FIFA money (others revenue also ?) evenly between the teams. Hard to think USMNT will oppose. And with USMNT qualifying for the next WC and hosting in 2026; USWNT will probably get a windfall.

jnielsen and TimB4Last repped this.
  2. NCChiFan

NCChiFan Member

NC Courage
    United States
    Feb 19, 2021
    Oh, I could see why they would/could oppose it. Will they is a different story. Big, huge win for the women if the men's side agrees to this.

cpthomas repped this.
  3. taosjohn

taosjohn Member+

Dec 23, 2004
    taos,nm
    Big win for everybody; it is the obvious way to bring things into line with the law.

Everybody gets paid what they are actually worth, and we get to stop fussing about cupidity in the face of a meritocracy...

4. Hexa

Hexa Member+

May 21, 2010
    Club:
    How do you establish "worth" when there is such a prize gat between the cups. Also, what about US beach soccer and futsal national teams? What are their worth? If "everybody gets paid what they are actually worth" and economics isn't/shouldn't be a factor all professionals US soccer teams should get paid the same, no?

It is positive that USSF is trying to pull the money to better compensate the USWNT for their continuing success. But, I think this is something very specific to the USSF. USWNT is so much more successful than USMNT that some sort of split is in order. I doubt it will happen somewhere else.

5. taosjohn

taosjohn Member+

Dec 23, 2004
    taos,nm
    Somewhere else is apt to have different labor laws...

6. FanOfFutbol

FanOfFutbol Member+

The Mickey Mouse Club or The breakfast Club
    May 4, 2002
    Limbo
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Futsal and beach soccer do not have near the draw as the "regular" soccer. And, yes, all players should get the same "appearance fee" but that should not include junk sports like Fustal or beach soccer or competitive hotdog eating.

The players on full national teams for major sports, like soccer, should be compensated exactly the same now that the clubs are supposed to provide the wages for their players.

But I agree that it is hard to judge the "worth" of the players but that is a job for the clubs. The national team should pay a relatively small appearance fee and pick up all expenses but appearances for the national team should not be heavily compensated. Of course the "bonuses" for World Cup or other "real" tournaments (or qualification matches) should have greater compensation but fake tournaments, that are really nothing more that friendlies like the "She Believes cup", should be compensated for appearances just like the single friendlies that happen all year.

But all that does not matter much as US Soccer will find some way to screw the players out of their rightful money. I have zero confidence in US Soccer doing anything right for the players, particularly the female players, even though there is now an intelligent women in charge. It is still behaving a lot like the "Good ol' boys clubs" I expect that the president has only a little power and gets out voted a lot. But I cannot be sure about that.

In spite of reports I do not think that the "new" agreement will have much positive impact on the players in the NWSL. There are just too many ways things can go horribly wrong as shown by the fact that Greg Berhalter and Vlatko Andonovski are still in charge of the senior teams.

"I could be wrong, but I don't think so."

Hexa repped this.
  7. Hexa

Hexa Member+

May 21, 2010
    Club:
    #7 Hexa, Dec 22, 2021
    Last edited: Dec 22, 2021
    I was mainly reacting to the idea of worth. Regarding labor laws my understanding is that USWNT sued USSF several times, and they lost them all. I do not think USSF is driving equal pay due to labor laws but rather due to a perception of fairness (which I do share).

8. Hexa

Hexa Member+

May 21, 2010
    Club:
    Overall we agree on principal, but I am much more optimistic or naive.

However I find the whole notion of "junk sports" snobbish. It is a big world and what you consider junk could be "real" for another country/region. Fifa is behind the curve on WWC compensation and worth due to a misguided antiquated notion of women soccer as a junk sport (not as good as the real game). Fortunately even FIFA's old boy club can't ignore France's WWC success. Hopefully they will separate WWC from WC TV deals to be able to properly valuate WWC, and raise its promotion and prize money accordingly.

Auriaprottu repped this.
  9. lil_one

lil_one Member+

Nov 26, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sounds like identical contracts for men and women are not going to happen (and never were), but they are trying to find out how to equalize the FIFA prize money in the new CBA: https://www.espn.in/football/united...ke-a-joint-deal-how-does-lawsuit-impact-talks

Highlights from the article:
    -Women's CBA expired on Dec 31 2021, but was extended until March 31. (The men have been playing without a CBA since the end of 2018.)
    -USMNTPA representative has been sitting in on the women's negotiations, but the two teams are not negotiating together.
    -The offer of identical contracts by USS, which USSF publicized, wasn't "deemed serious" by either of the teams.
    -No one has an answer on equalizing the FIFA prize money, but it sounds like it is up to the two PA's to hammer out.
    -The CBA extension to March 31 did away with NWSL salaries for WNT players and did away with any requirement for WNT players to play in the NWSL (WNT players can play at will elsewhere), hinting that both of those might be in the new CBA along with further moves to move away from a salary structure.

And a quote from Parlow Cone: "What we're talking about here is equalized prize money, identical game bonuses, an identical commercial revenue sharing agreement. But will there be differences in the contract? Yes, because they have different needs." (One of those differences would probably be keeping the "Markgraf rule.")

10. NCChiFan

NCChiFan Member

NC Courage
    United States
    Feb 19, 2021
  11. Hexa

Hexa Member+

May 21, 2010
    Club:
    Good for them. I wonder how the new CBA will be. Will they be able to get what the men's WC prize money would be.

Bob Lamm repped this.
  12. Bob Lamm

Bob Lamm Member

Mar 7, 2016
    New York City
    A great victory. With total support for the U.S. players.

13. Hexa

Hexa Member+

May 21, 2010
    Club:
    got it from another thread:

BREAKING: US Soccer and USWNT have reached a settlement in their six-year fight over equal pay. The players will receive $24M, and USSF has promised to equalize pay between the men's and women's national teams for all competitions, including the World Cup. https://nytimes.com/2022/02/22/spo

I guess both teams agreed to a shared the prize money equally.

14. jmplautz

jmplautz Member

Jul 28, 2007
    Madison
    Why do I see a lot of gnashing of teeth when the men get a cut of a WWC win bonus?

15. puttputtfc

puttputtfc Member+

Sep 7, 1999
    What about rosters? Will players like Rodman and Murphy continue to be contractually excluded for the likes of Naeher, Rapinoe and Morgan? This is a terrible day if the answer is yes.

16. lil_one

lil_one Member+

Nov 26, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Point of clarification: the settlement on the equal pay lawsuit, which is actually a different thread, is done, but it is still contingent on the new CBA being signed. The new CBA (this thread) is not done, but likely will be soon-ish, and this settlement indicates we're probably quite close to getting a new CBA.

jnielsen, JanBalk and Hexa repped this.
  17. Hexa

Hexa Member+

May 21, 2010
    Club:
    People are reading too much into this. They tie this to a woke agenda and the "culture war", so for many this is very political.

USWNT achievement is amazing. You could actually make a list of the best 10 women players of all times and get 5/6 US players. No one can match that on the male game. So the writing was on the wall, public opinion and sponsor pressure was too much for USSF. I am curious to see if the CBA's will be the same.

18. jmplautz

jmplautz Member

Jul 28, 2007
    Madison
    I'm guessing everything will be piled together and disbursed to "qualifying" individuals.

19. Number007

Number007 Member+

Santos FC
    Brazil
    Aug 29, 2018
    Would love to see your list. Best is so subjective that some lists may have 1 or 2 max

20. Hexa

Hexa Member+

May 21, 2010
    Club:
    I won't even try to make such a list. As you said they are very subjective.

My point is that USWNT achievements are incomparable in the male or female game. While that is not a legal argument. It has a huge effect on public and sponsors opinion and perception of the situation.

jnielsen and ytrs repped this.
  21. Bob Lamm

Bob Lamm Member

Mar 7, 2016
    New York City
    How could women fighting for better pay and working conditions in our sexist sports world NOT be "political"? Of course it is and wonderfully so. Many of the Trump cult members who rant about "a woke agenda" and the "culture war" would be happier if women stayed in the kitchen and shut up completely. Those days are gone. In solidarity with the activism of the USWNT.

jnielsen and ytrs repped this.
  22. puttputtfc

puttputtfc Member+

Sep 7, 1999
    I guess that's one way of looking at it.

gtrower, Auriaprottu, Hexa and 2 others repped this.
  23. lil_one

lil_one Member+

Nov 26, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Surprise, surprise: we will not have a CBA by March 31:

The settlement still hinges on the CBA being signed, and I believe they had to give the court an update on negotiations a couple of days ago. So, there's still urgency to get it done as soon as possible.

Also since the negotiations are now alongside the men's team, it's probably important to note here that the men's team have had some other, fairly important things going on these past few days.;)

Hexa repped this.
  24. Hexa

Hexa Member+

May 21, 2010
    Club:
    Does anyone knows how USSF is proposing to equate FIFA's prize money?

Will the prize money be pooled into a fund and pay players after events!? Sounds tricky. Players of one teams would needs to wait the other team to finish their competition to earn performance bonus!

Or will USSF pay the same performance bonus regardless of the competition, based on excepted revenue? This sound more plausible particularly with USMNT's WC US$ 3.5mm in participation and preparation money locked in due to 48 teams expansion.

But if USMNT get out of the group stage (8mm US$) or make a surprise round of 16 appearance (12 mm US$) they will want to renegotiate their CBA ASAP.

FIFA must split WCs TV deals evenly if they keep selling it as a bundle. USSF though C'CAF should make a formal inquiry about how the funds are allocated and request a evenly allocation between the WCs.

FIFA reportedly gets US$ 3.5 Billion from TV & media rights sales. If they can't breakdown how much each WC generates they should split it equally. This wouldn't equate the prize money between the WCs (ticket sales, sponsor deals, product licensing) but it would significantly narrow the money prize gap.

IMHO USSF/C'CAF would make a significant contribution to the W game if they publicly request TV & media money to be split.

25. jackdoggy

jackdoggy Member+

May 16, 2014
    Big D
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The unions for the USWNT and USMNT have ratified new CBAs with the U.S. Soccer Federation that include an equal split of World Cup bonuses.

Bob Lamm, McSkillz and Hexa repped this.