USWNT and race

Discussion in 'USA Women: News and Analysis' started by lil_one, Jun 3, 2020.

1. Smallchief

Smallchief Member+

Oct 27, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    That's one of the best essays I've read on this subject. White privilege is real -- and anybody who denies it is just plain wrong.

jnielsen and Auriaprottu repped this.
  2. jnielsen

jnielsen Member

May 12, 2012
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    I agree.
    "I’m writing this because the point is: Any racism at all, on any level, is worth confronting, and worth exposing, and worth speaking up about. "

3. Cliveworshipper

Cliveworshipper Member+

Dec 3, 2006
    Well. R.E.Lee and Jeff Davis knew. So did Nathan Bedford Forest, founder of the KKK.

knowing isn’t enough. You have to participate in being an agent in changing what you know is wrong.

jnielsen repped this.
  4. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United FC USOpenCup Champions
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Fantastic article. I wish more of the usual posters here were as concerned about racism as the players seem to be.

lil_one repped this.
  5. italiancbr

italiancbr Member

Apr 15, 2007
    Don’t forget to include Jesse Jackson in that group. In his own words: "There is nothing more painful to me at this stage in my life than to walk down the street and hear footsteps and start thinking about robbery. Then I look around and see someone white and feel relieved." Let’s acknowledge that race-baiters can also be racist towards their own race.

Since racism is an idea, rather than a disease that can be eradicated or an army that can be vanquished, it should be obvious that there is always room for improvement. However, what kind of change are you looking for? If you’re looking for positive change, then the goal should be to create equality for all, irrespective of race, rather than stoke division by seeing everything through the prism of race. Does that sound familiar? “I have a dream that my four little children will one day live in a nation where they will not be judged by the color of their skin, but by the content of their character.” Is that the rallying cry of protestors? It’s no coincidence that family members of MLK and Muhammad Ali, icons of the civil rights movement, have spoken out against the current movement. Change should be proportional, beneficial, and unifying.

First, change should be proportional to the problem. That means that solutions should address the problem, not worsen it. The issue in the George Floyd death was police brutality. Agitators wanted to insist that this could only happen to a black man by racist white cops. But a white guy, Tony Timpa, died the exact same way. And black suspects are as likely to be killed by black cops as white cops. Senator Tim Scott tried to address police brutality in ALL cases through a justice reform bill, and then it was blocked for obvious reasons. In the meantime, the 'abolish and defund police' type of change caused two deaths of black teens in the CHOP/CHAZ area and skyrocketing shootings all across the country.

Secondly, change should be beneficial. That means that you seek to improve the lives of those that you are advocating for. There were 11 high-profile police killings of black men between 2014-2016, which all resulted in local protests, yet only three cases ended up with police officers being sentenced. In the George Floyd case, the police officers involved were arrested but that still wasn't enough to prevent nationwide protesting that devolved into violence. So were the protests worth it? I’m not even talking about the minority-owned businesses that were looted, vandalized, burglarized, and damaged during these protests. I'm talking about the skyrocketing shootings and deaths that have occurred as a result of the protests. 111 shootings in Minneapolis? Or 125 shootings in NYC and over a dozen dead? Or 78 shot, 11 dead in Chicago in one weekend, with 212 black homicides since the beginning of the year? I could go on but why are these local headlines instead of national news?
    Has dying at the hands of a gang member or a drug dealer become more tolerable to a community or country than someone dying at the hands of police? Or does being killed at the hands of police officers now make a person's life more noble or praiseworthy than someone killed by a random stranger? These are rhetorical questions.

Lastly, change should be unifying. This should be obvious but the protest movement itself has been divided and co-opted by various groups. The groups that are seemingly the most vocal about the protest movement (the national media, college professors, and Hollywood) actually have the most inequality in those fields, with whites accounting for at least 90% of news editors, tenured professors, and TV and movie producers. That should be the first sign that there are ulterior motives at play. Also, the cities that are the most diverse and progressive, are the most segregated. On the other hand, institutions that focus on content of character rather than race, like the military, are held up by sociologists as the model of good race relations in America, with blacks occupying more management positions in the military than in any other sector of American society. The country is currently being played against each other, and while downplaying racism is dangerous, so is overstating it. Rather than being given a hopeful message and putting things in perspective, we're being fed a narrative that the United States is the most racist country on Earth. Many don't know how the Roma people are treated in Europe, or the Kurds in the Middle East, or the Hmong, Rohingya, and Uyghurs in Asia, or the Darfuris and Sahrawis in Africa, or any indigenous group in S. and C. America. Perhaps if there was greater awareness of world affairs there would be less hatred of American values and symbols.

When you increasingly segment according to differences, the concept of solipsism, the idea that you have to be one to know one and you can only understand those like you, is reinforced. There is no limit to how far you can take division, which ends up increasing racism. Racism in most countries isn't viewed through the prism of black and white, but through shades of gray, and includes ethnic, cultural, and religious differences. This is why protest organizers now complain that Latinos and Asians are indifferent to their cause.

6. jnielsen

jnielsen Member

May 12, 2012
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    I think your cause and effect conclusions are invalid, but on my way to work and don't have time to pursue right now.

7. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
  8. lil_one

lil_one Member+

Nov 26, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Auriaprottu repped this.
  9. jnielsen

jnielsen Member

May 12, 2012
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    And Maurice Edu. Lalas will never run out of ways to embarrass himself.

10. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Altidore as well. Jozy's always on point, tho, so it should have been expected.