USWMNT vs. Mexico Disallowed Goal

Discussion in 'Referee' started by RedStar91, Jul 7, 2021.

1. RedStar91

RedStar91 Member+

Sep 7, 2011
    Club:
    FK Crvena Zvezda Beograd

Anyone know the details to this or did anyone watch this live and see why?

From the tweet, it says an inadvertent whistle.

Looks the referee crew was American and Koroleva was in the middle.

2. balilla

balilla New Member

Mar 7, 2013
    Officials:

From the US Soccer website the crew is below:

Referee: Danielle Chesky (USA)

Assistant Referee 1: DeleanaQuan (USA)

Assistant Referee 2: Felisha Mariscal (USA)

4th Official: KatjaKoroleva (USA)

3. MetroFever

MetroFever Member+

Jun 3, 2001
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    Croatia
    It was clear from the replay that AR1 never lifted her flag. Press was WELL onside.

Chesky blows the whistle just before the ball crosses the goal line. The first time she makes eye contact with AR1 is AFTER the whistle is blown.. Does she hear someone yelling "offside" in her mic?....who knows.

AR1 is visibly upset and shakes her head "no" while looking down towards the 4th official.

Chesky restarts the game with a dropped ball to the keeper. It was 2-0 in the 12th minute. The coaching staff is figuring this is going to be a blowout and doesn't know there will be no goals after this point, otherwise I don't believe they would be as calm.

4. rh89

rh89 Member

Sep 29, 2015
    OR
    Chesky developing a reputation for some pretty big mistakes and some games boiling over... she was the referee on the Thorns - Chicago opening game with the rescinded red card.

West Ender repped this.
  5. MetroFever

MetroFever Member+

Jun 3, 2001
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    Croatia
    In addition, at around 19:40, Tobin Heath is wiped out in the penalty area, but no call. A rough first half:

6. socal lurker

socal lurker Member+

May 30, 2009
    Can't be a foul--she got ball . . . .:p

7. code1390

code1390 Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'd want to dig a hole and crawl in it.

kolabear and West Ender repped this.
  8. socal lurker

socal lurker Member+

May 30, 2009
    I will give her credit for owning the mistake and not pretending it didn't happen--which we saw in MLS a few years ago (and which I still have a bitter memory of happening in a high school basketball game I played in . . . not that the memory lingered or anything . . .). But that is an awfully major mistake at any level, let alone in an international match.

West Ender, dadman, roby and 5 others repped this.
  9. sjquakes08

sjquakes08 Member+

Jun 16, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I feel like the only explanation is she must have heard something over the mic. Assuming this is the case, definitely a good reminder for anyone working with headsets to visually confirm the flag, even if you hear something over the microphone--and also to keep your mouth shut as an AR if you want play to continue on a close call.

Kit, dadman, JasonMa and 2 others repped this.
  10. LampLighter

LampLighter Red Card

Bugeaters FC
    Apr 13, 2019
    Yeah it's a mistake in law...but some laws just shouldn't be followed if they don't bring about justice.

Just making an argument for the other side, the MLS referee was right and his whistle didn't make any difference. Just like the referee would be right here, the whistle didn't make any difference. I'm for letting referees make the obvious assumption that the goal would be scored and move on.

11. code1390

code1390 Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I could imagine thinking it might be better to screw the US team here since you're an American doing a US national team match. Perhaps on the other hand if that was Mexico maybe you play The common Sense card then. I don't know if any of that is true but it would probably go through my mind.

12. LampLighter

LampLighter Red Card

Bugeaters FC
    Apr 13, 2019
    Oh she's in an absolutely no win situation. I just wanted to advocate for common sense basically. But yeah, I wouldn't be brave enough at all to do that as an American refereeing an American team.

13. socal lurker

socal lurker Member+

May 30, 2009
    There is no "common sense" solution to allow the goal. This is black and white. An international referee who wants to keep refereeing doesn't get to ignore something that clear in Law. Sure, refs can bend things at times in the spirit of the game--but they can't ignore obvious things like the ball being out of play.

Might it make sense to amend the Laws on this point? Sure--it wouldn't be entirely dissimilar to the amendment that a goal still scores if an outside agent touches the ball so long as the R determines the ball was going in without the interference and the ball actually goes in. I'd support a well-drafted Law change on this. (Oh, wait, it's IFAB--we'll have to settle for a not-totally-incompetently drafted Law change.)

Thegreatwar, JasonMa and SA14mars repped this.
  14. ManiacalClown

ManiacalClown Member+

Jun 27, 2003
    South Jersey
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I would agree with this. There might be a way to amend the Laws to allow goals in this sort of rare situation, especially with the now-established precedent with interference, but it would have to be a very high bar. The whistle couldn't have any affect on the opponents, including the goalkeeper.

I don't know that this is a common enough problem to warrant discussion by the IFAB, though.

15. socal lurker

socal lurker Member+

May 30, 2009
    Not from happening in a friendly, no. But if it happens this weekend in the EURO final, the Law will change next year.

16. LampLighter

LampLighter Red Card

Bugeaters FC
    Apr 13, 2019
    I completely understand, you can't allow this goal especially when you may be punished by your superiors.

I'm just merely pulling apart that logic a bit. I'm sure some people understand that the MLS goal that was mentioned, remember that the defense couldn't do anything to stop it. It should've been a goal if you wanted to argue for Justice, and not Law.

17. sjquakes08

sjquakes08 Member+

Jun 16, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Have we all forgotten about Irmatov in the 2013 confederations cup already? He blew the whistle for a foul, and then allowed the goal that was scored just after the whistle blew.

It was as high-profile as could be, but it didn't result in a law change. It also, incidentally, didn't ruin Irmatov's career.

West Ender and MassachusettsRef repped this.
  18. code1390

code1390 Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I couldn't remember the example, but I knew it was out there.

kolabear repped this.
  19. LampLighter

LampLighter Red Card

Bugeaters FC
    Apr 13, 2019
    Perfect example. I do not rate Irmatov, but in this case I gotta agree with him, especially since he got away with it heehee.

20. lil_one

lil_one Member+

Nov 26, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    All correct, except for the italicized: there were two more goals scored in the game. It ended 4-0, an easy win, so the mistake had no impact on the end result. It just took away a beautiful team goal.

21. AremRed

AremRed Member+

Sep 23, 2013
    When you quote something, it’s all italicized.

kolabear repped this.
  22. lil_one

lil_one Member+

Nov 26, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    :oops: I know that. I do.

I meant to highlight this: "The coaching staff...doesn't know there will be no goals after this point, otherwise I don't believe they would be as calm."