ussocceruk.com reports Namoff as our parting gift.

Discussion in 'Columbus Crew' started by Chris_Bailey, Jul 28, 2002.

1. Kryptonite

Kryptonite Fancy Title Here

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    good post, bill.

Yeah, every year it seems to be "rebuild for the future" and "next year we'll be better".

Did anyone notice since John and Friedel left, we've sucked completely? And John's last year was 1999.

I, for one, am a little tired of this "screw the playoffs, we're rebuilding."
    And I have no idea what that win streak was last year. Must have been the boys just playing good with a new coach.

Jim and Greg out at the end of the year. Jim is good for "new ideas" like the viewing parties. We need someone who'll go into the MLS phone lines and yell at them when things don't go our way.

We need a coach who'll win 3 damn games in a row. And not a coach who'll sit back after a 1-0 lead in the 10th minute. We need a coach who'll consistently attack and run the scores up. 5-1, 4-0, 6-3.. I'd rather see those scores than 1-0, 3-2, 2-1.

2. John_Harkes_6

John_Harkes_6 New Member

Mar 29, 2000
    Baltimore, MD.
    OK, there are some errors about Namoff.

A) Namoff was not taken in the Dispersal draft. He was drafted by DC.

B) Yes - he has no minutes this year b/c Hudson doesn't know his head from his @ss and refuses to play young players for the most part.

C) what you are getting - a good young DM that has good ball distribution skills. He played in 15 games last year and was tied with Convey for the second most assists on the team - 7. He should be playing rather than Richie.

3. Bill Archer

Bill Archer BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 19, 2002
    Washington, NC
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Absolutely correct. My bad. I think I got his acquisition confused with Alamanja.

Also a valid point, one made earlier by our own Foosinho.

But again, is he not playing because he's young, or because he sucks? And how is anyone to know?

The point being that, whatever he is, he ain't gonna be much help at the moment, and NOBODY knows what he might do down the road.

Even if, for the sake of argument, I grant you that this is all true, (and I have a Labrador who ought to start ahead of Ritchie) he's STILL not what we need. We have Moe, Curly, Larry and Shemp manning our back line. We've lost six times in 18 games in the final minutes because we couldn't hold the score.

We need defensive help. Now.

4. John_Harkes_6

John_Harkes_6 New Member

Mar 29, 2000
    Baltimore, MD.
    I think he isn't playing b/c of Ray and his love for veterans.

I am not sure who you have manning your defensive midfield but Namoff might help with your giving up late goals. He is pretty good at the D-mid position rather than left back and has good distribution skills. He would rather make a smart pass to clear the ball than boot it up field to allow the opposition to start the new wave of attack.

Just be glad you aren't getting Lazy. Besides - you guys are roster locked with SIs so unless you planned on using your discovery option on an A-leaguer you are making out ok. I didn't say great, but ok. Your other option - not use the option and let it expire.

5. Foosinho

Foosinho New Member

Jan 11, 1999
    New Albany, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Did all that pot wipe the 2001 regular season from your brain? We were pretty darn good for the balance of the season last year. Which is part of why I think we have to be a few pieces away from being pretty darn good this year too.

Mapp, or Namoff and a DC's #1 pick next year, or no deal, I say. (Ideally, we get either Pope, or Mapp + first-round pick, but... I don't think Hudson is quite that despondant about his current team!.)

That said, I would be willing to throw some good material (Cunningham?) DC's way and potentially sacrifice this season in exchange for a number of DC's cheaper, younger players in a bid to improve for future years. But we are talking players like Convey, Mapp, Quaranta, Olsen(?), not Curtis or Namoff, for this kind of deal to go down. DC needs goals, and Cunningham can score them. We could get quite a bit in return for Cunningham and Gazza. Quite a bit indeed.

6. CrewToon

CrewToon Member

Jun 13, 1999
    Greenbrier Farm
    In this one?! You mean in EVERY one...

7. CrewToon

CrewToon Member

Jun 13, 1999
    Greenbrier Farm
    That part's easy...

[​IMG]

8. weasel

weasel Member

Oct 31, 2000
    NYC
    Bill Archer,

Thanks for the response. So the basic reason for stopping this deal is to not help DC. OK, I can live with that.

This is the kind of ridiculous deal I'm getting a good laugh at:

"Mapp, or Namoff and a DC's #1 pick next year, or no deal, I say. (Ideally, we get either Pope, or Mapp + first-round pick, but... I don't think Hudson is quite that despondant about his current team!.)"

Yeah, we'll trade Pope (or Mapp plus a top draft pick) so we can sign Gazza to play the final 8 games of a season when it's all but certain we're going to miss the playoffs. Pass the smoke pal.

Anyway, have fun the rest of the season. I'm interested to see if you get anything for that discovery, or if it just expires.

9. myshap

myshap Member

Jun 19, 2002
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    This whole topic is useless because the original poster lied. There is no story on the website about Namoff. Go to the website, it is not there. So everything is just speculation now. The website did say that some announcment was going to be made about the DC player in question today at 4, but no mention of Namoff or any other DC player. If i'd take anyone form DC though I'd take Mapp or trade Perez and Discovery for Nelson.

10. hangthadj

hangthadj Member+

A.S. Roma
    Mar 27, 2001
    Zone 14
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    you are wrong.

i saw it too, it was in the forum section under breaking rumors. Chris Bergin posted that he belived it would be namoff, and he is the same guy that writes the news stories if i am not mistaken. this is two or three posts from the bottom. sure it is still speculation, but it is on the website, all you have to do is actually take the time to look.

http://www.ussocceruk.com/modules.p...wtopic&t=380&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

11. eric d

eric d Member

Sep 9, 1998
    Oh yeah forgot how BIG a name Mathis was before he came to the Metros. That damn Sigi Schmidt- just like Arena trying to keep the Man down.

El Pescadito was so big that almost no one knew what to expect until he started scoring.

El Crapador is a whole other ball of wax. But Kryptonite you are just the fool aren't you?

Did the big SEM monster make you draft/ trade for them and not release them?

And no offense, far from it for me to crap on your stadium because of the problems my team is having, but since when have you averaged 20K in that place??? Did you even do it the first year after it was built and you had a decent team?

Kryptonite... BS Kiss Ass Sure...Soccer Expert No...

12. myshap

myshap Member

Jun 19, 2002
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Thank you. I fiquered if I called someone out, someone would answer my original question of where that story was since I couldn't find it. Sorry Bailey 8.

13. Chris_Bailey

Chris_Bailey Member+

Feb 28, 2000
    Chicago
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    I'm not new to this game, my Crew-supporting thread. Why/How the hell would I pull this out of my ass?

myshap....no worries, I'd rather this be a great big lie. :(