USSoccer97531’s 2019 Player Rankings

Discussion in 'Youth National Teams' started by ussoccer97531, Dec 24, 2019.

1. Patrick167

Patrick167 Member+

Dortmund
    United States
    May 4, 2017
    In a post in another thread, the idea was convincingly argued that prospects that sign with MLS just don't come good. That path is a big factor in how they develop. I think all of the '01, '02, above have made the choice.

Europe: Booth, Llanez, KDLF, Las, Reyna, KHF, Scally,

MLS: AOC, Araujo

For the '03s, Nyeman, Pepi, and Leyva have all signed with MLS. Chifamba and Gomez in Europe, but I don't know the others.

'04, '05 it seems Rotundo is bound for Europe, but anyone know about the others?

2. David Kerr

David Kerr Member+

United States
    Oct 18, 2019
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There is no correlation to whether MLS or Europe is better for a prospect unless they are an obvious talent like Pulisic and Reyna. What matter is that the elite prospects that stay in MLS get minutes by 18 and move to Europe by 20-21 at the latest. Paxton and Reggie's window of opportunity may close in the next two years for long term USMNT hopes.

3. Patrick167

Patrick167 Member+

Dortmund
    United States
    May 4, 2017
    Possibly. You state that as a fact, but we have zero examples of players that late moving to Europe and becoming anything but second string in Denmark or a GK on a relegation fodder team.

Examples from a decade ago are not worth much anymore. The soccer ecosystem has changed radically. Plus, nobody moved in their 20s and became Champions League level players.

We will see if the window has closed on Cannon and maybe Pomykal. But, Pomykal is on a path of MLS lifer. Cannon went to school for a year, that is what is really hurting him. It was only one year, unlike Long, but it sets the whole timetable back.

More interesting for this thread is a kid like Nyeman who signed at a very young age. He probably needs to stay in this country for citizenship reasons? But kids like him and Leyva that signed at 15/16 are a new test case.

4. David Kerr

David Kerr Member+

United States
    Oct 18, 2019
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The new decade examples of it being okay would be both Davies and Adams. I also believe that Pomykal and Cannon will get sold to Europe as FC Dallas will have too many HG's in their system. The biggest difference we're seeing in today's MLS that makes it okay for players to stay is that clubs are actually playing their youth more than ever and it's been a consistent upward trend the last couple years. But if a player is at a club like Atlanta or Orlando I would go abroad at the first opportunity.

TimB4Last repped this.
  5. bpet15

bpet15 Member+

Oct 4, 2016
    @David Kerr @Patrick167

This conversation is currently happening in the FC Dallas thread. Just wanted to let you know so we aren't carrying on the same conversation in multiple places.

6. Patrick167

Patrick167 Member+

Dortmund
    United States
    May 4, 2017
    I understand, but discussing Nyeman and Leyva and these 15 yo HG signings is not appropriate there.

bpet15 repped this.
  7. Patrick167

Patrick167 Member+

Dortmund
    United States
    May 4, 2017
    Davies and Adams went at 18 and 19. Adams was almost 20, tbf. We will see. I agree that some MLS teams are playing kids more. Some of that is just the effect of the rapid expansion. But it is happening.

I also agree that FCD needs to sell to keep the pipeline growing. But Mr. Hunt has said differently and they are signing these players to extensions and not signing them. Preferring to let kids back further in the pipeline leave. But that could all change in the next window. We will see.

We will also see if a player can play in MLS until 22, then become a UCL player. We have seen two players play until 18/19 and become UCL players. And we have seen several more never play in MLS and become UCL players.

It is all rapidly changing. You can bet all the following and their representatives and mentors, are watching closely to Cannon, Nyeman, and Reyna and the example for all, Pulisic:

Quinn Sullivan-AM/Wing (Philadelphia Union)
    Dantouma Toure-Striker (NYRB)
    Brandan Craig-DM/CM (Philadelphia Union)
    Antonio Leone-CB (LAFC)
    Leo Torres-AM/Wing (San Antonio FC)
    Evan Rotundo-AM/Wing (Unattached)
    Nati Clarke-CB (Sporting Kansas City)
    Gage Akalu-AM/Wing (Sporting Kansas City)
    Reed Baker-Whiting (Seattle Sounders)
    Marcello Mazzola-Striker (Philadelphia Union)
    Dominic Dubon-AM/Wing (Philadelphia Union)

Rotundo is heavily linked with Dortmund. But I have not heard anything with regards to the rest.

Another possible path emerging is the one Torres could be on. With SAFC (also Orange Cty is trying this) signing kids to shorter term USL contracts, letting them move for free or a small fee at 18, and collecting Solidarity later. It is also interesting that almost all of these kids, identified by @ussoccer97531 are with the Union, NYRB, Sounders, or SKC. Four clubs that seem to be willing to play kids.

Did they all happen to be born in those territories? Or are we seeing 12/13 yo prospects making the early decision to move to the territory of the MLS clubs that are showing the most willingness to give kids a chance?

8. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Why are we including Davies? He's not American. You can say that it shows an example of MLS's willingness to sell, but it doesn't have any effect on MLS's willingness to sell Americans. There's been one sold recently (Adams). Selling Canadians doesn't help our NT.

Anyway, I'd suggest this probably is not the thread for long debates about MLS.

9. David Kerr

David Kerr Member+

United States
    Oct 18, 2019
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think the Adams/Davies path is ideal for the players who don't have the guaranteed talent to make it immediately in Europe. Just stay in MLS for a couple years and prove yourself there and secure a move. But the latest they can stay is 20-21.

If I'm at Seattle, Dallas, NYRB, Philly, Houston, Miami, Colorado, and RSL then I'm taking a chance. But if I'm in another academy and I'm a top 20 player in my age group then I'd take my chances in Europe. Most players in the top 20 in these lists should be making that choice.

Jack0503 repped this.
  10. David Kerr

David Kerr Member+

United States
    Oct 18, 2019
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How many Dallas players would you add into this list now. Some have really impressed me. Also, if you had a top 10 2006 list what would it be?

11. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Likely not many more or less than there was when I made the list. It's only been a few months. There could be a few changes here or there with the list, but I doubt it'd be substantially different.

I won't watch out for the 2006's until the season is over, so I can't say I have enough information to make a top 10. I could probably list 5-6 players I've seen that I think are high level prospects, but I couldn't reliably produce a list of the ten best players in the age group. I'm sure if I started naming players I would leave off one or two who should definitely be there, and that would likely be because I just haven't seen enough of the best players in the age group.

Patrick167 repped this.
  12. letsdothis

letsdothis Member

Crew
    United States
    Jan 7, 2020
    @ussoccer97531 I agree, your list is informative. Just curious. Do you have a formal background in soccer? (i.e. current or former coach, scout, player)?

13. letsdothis

letsdothis Member

Crew
    United States
    Jan 7, 2020
    I
    I think Chifamba is still in MLS.

14. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    #64 ussoccer97531, Mar 4, 2020
    Last edited: Mar 4, 2020
    No current role in the sport. I played through my late teens, at which point I quit due to injuries. I wasn't the level of player of the prospects discussed on this website, but I wasn't that far off. I could've played longer, but for my long-term health, I stopped. I have a full time job, so I don't have the time to coach or scout. I watch what I can when I have the time. I have no affiliation to any team or player, although I get contacted through this website by family members, agents, scouts, coaches who read my opinions and provide me with some info. I've accumulated some outside info that way, but I have no interest in any job in the sport. I like what I do for a living, and following the sport is only a hobby.

15. jeff_adams

jeff_adams Member+

Dec 16, 1999
    Monterey, Ca
    Didn’t Mel Kiper Jr say this just before he started publishing his draft guides?

;)

16. CANPRO

CANPRO Member+

Dec 23, 2002
    Jonathan David provides an interesting example of MLS not always being the best path.

He spurned MLS academy offers, played with his local club and then went to Belgium at 18. He's now the leading scorer in Belgium at age 20.

Obviously in hindsight, he was right to shun MLS.

17. Pegasus

Pegasus Member+

Apr 20, 1999
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think as time goes on that will not be needed. Until a team has a second or third division team for those transitioning to the full roster it makes no sense for a player to sign as a HG. Not sure how many of the teams have that now but it should keep increasing. The league is also improving to a point where actually playing and getting big minutes in MLS may be as good as playing U19 or U23 in Europe. There is still a chicken or egg thing where the best teams in Europe will trust their own continent's academies over MLS teams but that could change if a few more players go over and pretty quickly start making starting rotations. There's a reason why a lot of South Americans are coming to MLS at a young age. They obviously see it a stepping stone league before moving to Europe. Let's say it's a work in progress.