USsoccer - NSCAA Levels

Discussion in 'Coach' started by BUSA Bulldog, Jan 28, 2009.

1. BUSA Bulldog

BUSA Bulldog Member

Jan 19, 2007
    NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Can someone give a rough equivalency between the USsoccer and NSCAA coaching levels?
    For example - Is a B licence equal roughly equal to a Regional diploma?

2. JoseP

JoseP Member

Apr 11, 2002
    Regional = state E license
    Advanced = state D license
    National = USSF C license

Advanced National I would compare to a USSF A or B license
    Premier I would call an advanced USSF A license.

3. BUSA Bulldog

BUSA Bulldog Member

Jan 19, 2007
    NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks, JoseP.
    Do you know where the High School Coach Diploma would fall?

4. JoseP

JoseP Member

Apr 11, 2002
    I took that course. It was very good.

I think it would be hard to equate it with anything the USSF offers. But, since most of the course revolved around team tactics I would say it more closely resembles the C license. However, the C license is much more detailed and you couldn't really say they are equal.

5. BUSA Bulldog

BUSA Bulldog Member

Jan 19, 2007
    NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks for your help - I am very interested and hope it works out for me to go
    Thanks again

6. CCSC_STRIKER20

CCSC_STRIKER20 New Member

May 14, 2005
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Good question.

Can someone who has taken both US Soccer courses and NSCAA courses elaborate a little more.

I just finished my USSF National D, and I know I want to take my C eventually (sometime in the next 1-2 years). But I was wondering if anyone had recommendations for which NSCAA courses I should be looking at?

7. JoseP

JoseP Member

Apr 11, 2002
    I haven't taken any national courses with USSF. I did the State D. If someone could explain the difference between national and state D I'd like to hear it.

If you were to take an NSCAA course, the National Diploma would be close to the USSF C. Here's a link to the advanced courses - http://www.nscaa.com/rc.php#advanced.

Have taken the state D and E and, also, the NSCAA Regional, Advanced Regional, High School Diploma and Goalkeeping Diploma I can tell you the big difference is the state courses tend to have one instructor through the whole course. The NSCAA usually brings in different instructors. I couldn't tell you if this holds true at the USSF level, though.

8. Twenty26Six

Twenty26Six Feeling Sheepish...

Jan 2, 2004
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

NSCAA <> USSF
    Premier <> A
    Advanced National <> B
    National <> National C
    Advanced Regional <> National D
    Regional <> E

9. JoseP

JoseP Member

Apr 11, 2002
    Wow, that's deep.

Look at the initial question. He wanted to know what was roughly equivalent. If you don't agree, by all means explain why. Putting up a bunch of <>s isn't helpful at all.

10. Twenty26Six

Jan 2, 2004
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    :rolleyes:
    :cool:

Those are roughly equivalent. In fact, they're accepted by most people AS EQUIVALENT - including the USSF and NSCAA.

However, in terms of curriculum, the NSCAA National seems to have more technical focus than the USSF C.

11. CCSC_STRIKER20

May 14, 2005
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Which ones would you recommend that I take?

12. Twenty26Six

Jan 2, 2004
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It depends on your state association. I like the guys in NY-West, so I liked (and learned a lot at) my E, D, and C.

However, the NSCAA has a better national reputation for teaching and supporting their coaches.

13. CCSC_STRIKER20

May 14, 2005
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I have taken my E and D license, so should I take the NSCAA State and Regional Diplomas as well?

14. Twenty26Six

Jan 2, 2004
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You can skip those (since they are "roughly equivalent") and go to the NSCAA National. I think the National would be a good license for you at this point. The C is more like an evaluation. The NSCAA National would probably teach you moe.

15. CCSC_STRIKER20

May 14, 2005
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Cool! I will look into it thanks.

:)

16. Blitzz

Blitzz New Member

Feb 20, 2009
    Club:
    Reading FC
    Actually, the NSCAA Advanced Regional is NOT equivalent to the USSF 'D.' It allows entry into the 'D,' but is not recognized as the same license by any state association in the U.S. The USSF 'D' license is a 36 hour course with an evaluation at the end, while the Advance Regional is an 18 hour course (roughly) with no evaluation.

If your state association requires certain licenses in order to coach, stick with USSF. They are more universally recognized.

17. Twenty26Six

Jan 2, 2004
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    True, but anyone at the introductory stages isn't thinking about equivalences yet. They just want to take as many courses as they can.

You made a good point about "licenses" though. USSF gives you a "license"; NSCAA gives you a "certificate". It's a subtle difference.

18. JoseP

JoseP Member

Apr 11, 2002
    I took both and they both had an evaluation. Both gave me a topic that I had to give a practice session for. The D license, however, I did have to do a take home exam.

Many times I see ads looking for a D license or an Advanced Regional certificate. I don't think you'll find state association's recognizing the Advanced Regional as equivalent to the D license because they are competing with each other. But, I think most clubs will accept either.