USSoccer 2020 registration extended

Discussion in 'Referee' started by threeputzzz, Jun 14, 2020.

1. threeputzzz

threeputzzz Member+

May 27, 2009
    Minnesota
    Received from the MN SRC today:

US Soccer has made the decision to roll all 2020 certification through the entirety of the 2021 calendar year. This means your paid certification will now be effective through the rest of 2020 AND all of 2021.

Kit repped this.
  2. frankieboylampard

Mar 7, 2016
    USA
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Cool. I’ll take the bonus time. I’m going to have to run the fitness test again regardless, but at least I won’t have to worry about the new registration system or find matches for assessments. Although, for my state that’s a non-issue.

I wonder how the states are going to do with that loss of income tho....

3. code1390

code1390 Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's useful since I never actually completed my 2020 registration.

cinepro repped this.
  4. MassachusettsRef

MassachusettsRef Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    frankieboylampard and Geko repped this.
  5. Kit

Kit Member+

Aug 30, 1999
    Herkimer, NY, USA
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Did US Soccer send this out as an official release? I didn't see anything on their website.

6. GoDawgsGo

GoDawgsGo Member+

Nov 11, 2010
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No. Email to SRCs. Some states already published the information.

7. Gary V

Gary V Member+

Feb 4, 2003
    SE Mich.
    So do you get a new badge that says 2021 on it, or does everyone just wear the 2020 badge for 2 years?

Pittsburgh Ref repped this.
  8. djmtxref

djmtxref Member

Apr 8, 2013
    Or just instructions on how to use a sharpy to conceal the date?

mathguy ref, voiceoflg and Dayton Ref repped this.
  9. Dayton Ref

Dayton Ref Member+

May 3, 2012
    Houston, TX
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    If you black out half of the 0, it looks a lot like a 1. Just remember to keep moving so it'll be blurry anyway.

mathguy ref repped this.
  10. Pittsburgh Ref

Pittsburgh Ref Member+

Oct 7, 2014
    da 'Burgh
    During '21 we will all have the benefit of 2020 hindsight

cinepro, MJ91, Rufusabc and 6 others repped this.
  11. Midwest Ref

Midwest Ref Member

Jul 25, 2002
    Correction: US Soccer has offered states the option of doing this. It is not coming from US Soccer. It is up to each SRC whether or not to implement this. For most SRCs, the question is can they deal with the decreased income from no registration fees from re-registering refs and still offer their programming?

12. Rufusabc

Rufusabc Member+

May 27, 2004
    and, what programming would that be?

cinepro repped this.
  13. mathguy ref

mathguy ref Member+

Nov 15, 2016
    TX
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    I can think of several things SRCs use annual fees for. Covering the costs of rooms for State or Presidents cup. Sending younger referees to US Regionals or to Regional ODP camps for development. Covering costs for referee coaches or mentors at local ODP events. In our region we have youth scholarships. Even little things like IT support to host and maintain websites. There are many things that they may have to cut back on.

14. frankieboylampard

Mar 7, 2016
    USA
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    my state does webinars. And we also have a good amount of registered officials. They had a surplus a couple years back and did statewide in-services where they catered food and gave us some pretty cool stuff. As well as have people from herb Silva, esse baharmast, Farhad mansourian, bob Evans, Rick eddy, etc etc come in and do clinics. Really cool.

15. GoDawgsGo

GoDawgsGo Member+

Nov 11, 2010
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The naivety :rolleyes:

Question for you - how did you receive your 2020 badge?

16. Law5

Law5 Member+

Mar 24, 2005
    Beaverton OR
    I'll let you know when that happens.

17. Rufusabc

Rufusabc Member+

May 27, 2004
    we have had none of that ever.

18. frankieboylampard

Mar 7, 2016
    USA
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    i also know our state is very financially well off. So ymmv

19. Law5

Law5 Member+

Mar 24, 2005
    Beaverton OR
    YMMV? Definitely. The number of registrations makes a big difference. Just about any state with more than 1,000 registrations has paid staff to handle all of the stuff. That may be part time but you cannot rely on volunteers. the amount of work is such that you'll burn out your volunteers in a year. Some small states virtually operate out of the back of the SRA's SUV. Some big states have a full time paid SRA.

The USSF registration fee is split 50-50 between Chicago and the state referee committee. Some states charge an additional fee because they have decided that the program requires more than the USSF fee provides. Training takes time and effort, both for clinics and mentoring. Some states subsidize upgrade assessments because they want to encourage referees to upgrade. Some states charge fees for entry level classes that exceed their out of pocket costs, to cover office staff, websites, credit card processing fees, etc. And the quality of management at the SRC level varies a lot. Just because someone was (or is) a national referee, a former MLS referee, etc., doesn't mean that they can manage their way out of a paper bag. (And, no, I'm not pointing in the direction of any specific SRAs.)

And if a SRC didn't have reserves, they're going to have a hard time getting through the next two years.

20. frankieboylampard

Mar 7, 2016
    USA
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    There's states with only a 1000 registrations? I'm thinking of Alaska and Wyoming... but I figured at least 2500 - 5000 officials.

21. Law5

Law5 Member+

Mar 24, 2005
    Beaverton OR
    Oh, yeah. I happen to have the 2007 figures sitting right here. (Yeah, I've got a lot of paper on my desk.) There were 20 states with less than 1,000 referees. Lowest on the list is North Dakota at 206. The largest was Cal North at 12,082. There were 135,708 registered referees that year and I don't think there's been any significant increase since then.

22. RefGil

RefGil Member

Dec 10, 2010
    We are in the 5500 range for registered referees. The referee committee has no paid staff.

frankieboylampard repped this.
  23. frankieboylampard

Mar 7, 2016
    USA
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    crazy to think 2007 I was nowhere near thinking of reffing.

24. Bubba Atlanta

Bubba Atlanta Member+

Mar 2, 2012
    Yep, Atlanta
    Club:
    Atlanta United FC
    What is that about? I completed the course when I recertified for 2020.

Vinnydabody repped this.
  25. sulfur

sulfur Member+

Oct 22, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    Mike McCarthy (WVSA) posted this about an hour ago:

dadman, MJ91, voiceoflg and 3 others repped this.