USSF's Div2 decision: Detroit's POV

Discussion in 'Detroit' started by bradd, Dec 31, 2009.

1. bradd

bradd Member

Jun 11, 2008
    Detroit, MI
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    U.S. Soccer will not sanction the USL-1 or the splinter NASL as second division leagues in 2010. From the federation:

CHICAGO (Dec. 30, 2009) – The U.S. Soccer Board of Directors voted unanimously on Tuesday to not sanction either the USL or the NASL to operate a Division II professional league in 2010.
    The decision was made on the recommendation of the Professional League Task Force, which determined that neither organization on its own was able to provide a viable and sustainable operation during the upcoming season. Both organizations were unable to meet U.S. Soccer’s requirement of a minimum of eight viable teams for 2010.
    Despite the ruling, the U.S. Soccer Board of Directors has given both organizations seven days to try to work out an interim solution for the 2010 season.
    “After carefully reviewing the findings from the Task Force it was clear there are still too many uncertainties for both organizations, which would be extremely difficult to resolve in a timely fashion that would allow them to prepare for the 2010 season,” said U.S. Soccer President Sunil Gulati. “In the best interest of soccer in the United States, we decided to not sanction either league at this point. However, we did encourage both leagues to come together in the next week and attempt to develop another plan which would allow a single league to be approved on a provisional basis. We are committed to finding ways to improve the long-term viability of all leagues and teams and continue the growth of soccer in the United States.”

2. SYoshonis

SYoshonis Member+

Jun 8, 2000
    Lafayette, Louisiana
    Club:
    Michigan Bucks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's some fancy moderatin'. ;)

3. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Maybe this isn't a big deal to Detroit fans yet. I guess its only relevant to where Detroit will be playing in 2011 or so. If the Bucks are involved, obviously more of their cred is with USL. I would imagine it's owners would be more pro-USL.

In any case, I think a Div2 league will play in 2010. Not sure who will "win" by 2011.

4. maltaman68

maltaman68 New Member

Jul 18, 2008
    Farmington, MI
    I think our point of view here in Detroit has to be ok, well we know we aren't playing next year. BUT long term, I don't think it changes much, I think Detroit will have a second division team in a few years regardless of NASL/USL.

5. DetroitTFC

DetroitTFC BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 14, 2007
    Detroit
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    IMHO this compromise resolution by USSF is probably good for a potential Detroit team investor in this aspect: this year will give USL and NASL to work out more concrete business plans. Right now NASL looks good from the standpoint of team control of the league but nobody knows what that means in how things get organized, or if the NASL owners can even work with each other (remember MLS started with relatively few big wheels - Hunt, Kraft, Anschutz, etc. - NASL owners may not play well together). USL's business model is known but problematic (franchise operation, limited input accepted from the teams as to league policies).

USL and NASL is likely to be shopping for new markets to bolster their case for 2011 sanction, who knows how many teams may sprout up. Now how many of those will be viable, ???