USSF Presidential Election :: February 2018

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by Knave, Oct 18, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Knave

Knave Member+

May 25, 1999
    Seems to me we should have a general N&A thread for the upcoming USSF presidential election.

The election will take place at the US Soccer AGM, which takes place on February 8 through 11.

Here's some information on the nomination and election process.

And it will be an election as Grant Wahl reports that Steve Gans is now an official challenger to Sunil Gulati.

Wahl further reports that:

I think Wynalda should get in the race, because why the hell not?

Nominations are due by December 10.

2. STR1

STR1 Member+

Atlanta United
    United States
    May 29, 2010
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    If true that Donovan is considering running for USSF president he is taking too long. IMO, the more challengers Sunil has the better. He needs to go and I hope there is no type of corruption in the election.

3. Robert Borden

Robert Borden Member+

Chelsea
    Canada
    Apr 19, 2017
    Toronto, Ontario
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    How is Donovan qualified to run the USSF exactly?

4. Gamecock14

Gamecock14 Member+

May 27, 2010
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    IMO, I think we need to change the structure of USSF more than a new President.

1) We need to form a committee/board for each the WNT/MNT who have votes on hiring/firing decisions of technical director and the technical director only. Ideally it would have 7-11 members with each member receiving 1 vote and be comprised of a player representative from the senior national team, the President of the Federation, former player representative, prominent coaches, youth soccer leadership, etc. This committee should not have any member from the primary USSF board outside of the President, so that will exclude MLS Commish etc. The only thing I am unsure of is term length for the members and how they would be chosen.

2) There must be a technical director whose only duty is to be technical director. He is in charge of hiring the coach, youth team coaches, and is in charge of "setting the direction" of the program. The selection of the senior NT coach is finally his decision, but the committee/board mentioned above is allowed to interview/rate the candidates prior to selection. YNT coaching decisions do not need to have the board/committee involvement. The technical director can only be removed with the committee/board voting for his removal with a 2/3 or 7/10 majority.

This election is going to be a mess because the only part candidates/fans care about is the who gets to choose the coach/technical director. That is 1/5 of the job of the President and the only person whose name has been mentioned who seems to even have a grasp of that seems to be Kyle Martino who won't take an unpaid position. We use to set goals for the NT and soccer for 12 years in the future. Getting someone promising immediate change for stuff that takes time is going to get us back to where we are.

russ repped this.
  5. appoo

appoo Member+

Jul 30, 2001
    USA
    He knows US Soccer, he knows youth soccer, he knows professional soccer, he's respected around the world for his soccer ability. He's also intimately familiar with the club landscape of US Soccer, and most importantly - he can be independent.

russ, TrueCrew, Borrachin and 9 others repped this.
  6. TimB4Last

TimB4Last Member+

May 5, 2006
    Dystopia
    I'll add that Donovan is from Ontario.

russ, chad and dwsmith1972 repped this.
  7. Robert Borden

Robert Borden Member+

Chelsea
    Canada
    Apr 19, 2017
    Toronto, Ontario
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Thanks for the answer

8. jond

jond Member+

Sep 28, 2010
    Club:
    Levski Sofia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think Landon would not be good. Just too close to Garber and MLS' interests. Need an outsider. Need a stronger personality willing to go up against the establishment. He just strikes me as someone the establishment would control and would be unwilling to break up the USSF/SUM/MLS relationship which is a real problem.

Landon would be better as a technical director.

Two top candidates for me from what they've said are Wynalda and Martino. They both have called for severe structural change. Their viewpoints go completely against the establishment. That's what we need. I think Hugo Perez would be a decent option too.

Martino meanwhile wants an outside independent audit of USSF/SUM/MLS and an open system, a direct threat to the establishment. That's the type I'd ride with. But he won't run. So Wynalda.

Step Over and sXeWesley repped this.
  9. Boandlkramer

Boandlkramer Member+

Apr 9, 2009
    Samma Weltmeister!
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Klinsi would be perfect for that technical director position mentioned above...something that would have better suited him IMHO

10. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree. Landon needs more seasoning.

But to the doubters, he had a key role in a couple of recent labor negotiations, one between the Fed and the USMNT, and one between MLS and the players.

But that's not enough experience.

And jon...Martino? Without a first name, I don't know if you mean Kyle or Tata. Tata as coach, sounds good. As the USSF president, I think he'd be an awful choice.

Geneva repped this.
  11. Jazzy Altidore

Jazzy Altidore Member+

Sep 2, 2009
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ontario, California.

Marko72, trip76 and AutoPenalti repped this.
  12. dwsmith1972

dwsmith1972 BigSoccer Supporter

May 11, 2007
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wynalda would concern me. While he certainly is not afraid to challenge orthodoxy, he has always struck me as the kind of person who is good at railing against the obvious but offering little in the way of substance. His rants are often incoherent and the combination of grudges and self regard meld together in ways that for whatever reason are reminiscent of conspiracy theorists.

(e.g. "If people only understood what I knew, they'd know the entrenched forces we're up against! I won't go into further details")

Wynalda strikes me as what JK would be like if he were a pessimist.

Landon strikes me as a fundamentally decent and honest guy with a realistic sense of his own abilities and limitations and that makes me comfortable that he would seek out expert advice. Martino would also be fine.

Marko72, xbhaskarx, Geneva and 6 others repped this.
  13. TimB4Last

TimB4Last Member+

May 5, 2006
    Dystopia
    They moved it? Is that why they call him the Cruiser?

dwsmith1972 repped this.
  14. dwsmith1972

May 11, 2007
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think he meant Kyle.

15. dwsmith1972

May 11, 2007
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    should call him the dork!

TimB4Last repped this.
  16. THOMA GOL

THOMA GOL BigSoccer Supporter

Jul 16, 1999
    Frontier
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If Sunil wins this election again, I'll take my lady's Japanese last name after the wedding.

17. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There is nothing wrong with that.

BTW, Martino is out.

18. Jazzy Altidore

Jazzy Altidore Member+

Sep 2, 2009
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There's an Ontario in California, near Redlands. That's where he's from.

19. THOMA GOL

THOMA GOL BigSoccer Supporter

Jul 16, 1999
    Frontier
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hasegawa is a legit last name for a 'brotha'. :sneaky:

20. TimB4Last

TimB4Last Member+

May 5, 2006
    Dystopia
    Lighten up, Francis.

russ, dwsmith1972 and chad repped this.
  21. sXeWesley

sXeWesley Member+

Jun 18, 2007
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wynalda, best description of anyone ever. He is still a better choice than Sunil at this point.

22. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Assigning tasks doesn't do anything if the guy who signs your paycheck tells you how to do the task and MLS tells him how to do it. Money talks, job titles/descriptions are b.s. and b.s. walks.

23. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Does anybody know what the relationship is between Steve Gans(Edit: or his Boston law firm) and Kraft Bros?

24. jond

jond Member+

Sep 28, 2010
    Club:
    Levski Sofia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Apparently Wynalda is taking a leave of absence from Fox....

25. Knave

Knave Member+

May 25, 1999
    I'm on Team Chaos ... I mean Team Waldo.

Because, again, why the hell not?