USSF BOARD of Directors

Discussion in 'USA Men' started by #1 Feilhaber and Adu, Sep 11, 2019.

1. gunnerfan7

gunnerfan7 Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Jul 22, 2012
    Santa Cruz, California
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No, I mean, if the Board is made up of people who aren't from the sporting landscape, nor people who have a competency that translates well, then it's similar to many of the board members on a lot of non-profits and charities.

On such boards, there are many high-status, wealthy individuals, engaged (or, often, not engaged more than writing a check) in a cause that's unrelated to their work/personal life, that they put very little time/effort into.

Let me put it another way. They aren't chosen to be on that board because they're good at engaging kids about soccer. They have lots of money, no expertise, and the fact that they are so awful at their jobs indicates to me that they have no desire or passion to do well. Being on the USSF board is a "good deed" footnote on their resumes.

2. gunnerfan7

gunnerfan7 Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Jul 22, 2012
    Santa Cruz, California
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Oh, and to engage the 2nd part of your post.

I don't want non-soccer, non-sporting executives with no connection to anything related to the USSF... choosing the Technical Director, or impacting US Soccer policy in any way, shape, or form.

The Board isn't made up of Don Garber and Friends, good. But it IS made up of random bankers and marketing executives. And that is your "aha, GOTCHA!"...?

3. jaykoz3

jaykoz3 Member+

Dec 25, 2010
    Conshohocken, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As opposed to what? Bitching, moaning, and posting to a message board on the internet that no one from the media, much less the USSF, looks at?

CoachP365 repped this.
  4. #1 Feilhaber and Adu

Aug 1, 2007
    Two caveats to this:

1) then why do care so much to comment on it

2) how do you know, "no one from the media, much less the USSF, looks at" that's a strong statement to make

Past history of your posting showed you defending against articles that proved corruption from Jay Berhalter and how he caused chaos with Klinsmann.

5. jaykoz3

jaykoz3 Member+

Dec 25, 2010
    Conshohocken, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Do you have proof of this accusation? Seeing as I stayed clear of the USMNT parts of BS until recently and all.......

6. Sam Miami

Sam Miami Member

Bayern Munich
    Germany
    Sep 11, 2019
    FIFA and federations non-sporting makeup of constituency is an issue everywhere in the soccer world

7. sXeWesley

sXeWesley Member+

Jun 18, 2007
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What you described is how things should be, not how they actually are. This isn’t conspiracy stuff, this is gross incompetence happening out in the open and being reported on by a soccer press that has always played nice with the federation:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.si...er-usmnt-manager-us-soccer-earnie-stewart-jay

“Back on February 19, when Jay Berhalter still had a role on the technical side of U.S. Soccer—he got his new job title in April—I received this text from one of my sources, a respected figure inside U.S. Soccer whom I had asked about the possibilities for who would become the USMNT GM:

“Possibly Earnie Stewart as GM, because Jay (who makes all decisions) likes analytics and thinks that’s most important … I think there is a match there.”

But it’s also crystal clear that Jay Berhalter had a major role in the process that resulted in U.S. Soccer hiring Gregg Berhalter, a process that did not view Martino, Vermes, Marsch, Ramos, Osorio, Bradley or Lopetegui as serious candidates.

Being Jay’s brother should not have disqualified Gregg from being a candidate for the job. It should have absolutely disqualified him from appearing to be the only serious candidate.

It should go without saying that he has no business being a candidate to replace Dan Flynn as the next CEO of U.S. Soccer next year now that Gregg Berhalter is the USMNT coach. (Nor, for that matter, should the new CEO come from inside U.S. Soccer, which needs some new blood at the top.) But when it comes to U.S. Soccer and the appearance of conflicts, you never take anything for granted.

To summarize; you are dead wrong. This has everything to do with the CEO position, the acting and future CEO in Jay Berhalter, who absolutely was the one that got his brother hired. We interviewed ONE other candidate ffs man and ignored many FAR better candidates. Explain that BS.

Additionally remember that time we couldn’t replace Klinsmann with Arena because Flynn was Ill? Yeah the CEO position has nothing to do with the coaches and product on the field...

bsky22, Eighteen Alpha, btlove and 8 others repped this.
  8. #1 Feilhaber and Adu

Aug 1, 2007
    FFS,

Will anybody do something?

Carlos Bocangera, where you at?

9. Baysider

Baysider Member+

Jul 16, 2004
    Santa Monica
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    What would you have him do?

10. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    They'll do what they want. They don't even care if we stop watching, the real money comes from the fans of the other teams, anyway.

juveeer, sXeWesley and Master O repped this.
  11. #1 Feilhaber and Adu

Aug 1, 2007
    What he is supposed to do?

as a board member, start speaking up. Otherwise his leadership was on the field, only.

12. Bob Morocco

Bob Morocco Member+

Aug 11, 2003
    Billings, MT
    Generally on a nonprofit board members are people who can raise money, donate money themselves, are well known/respected (and thus help raise money), or are experts in the field the nonprofit operates in. So the main difference between the USSF board and a traditional nonprofit board is that they don’t have to worry about raising money, but where the money comes from still matters.

The board is made up of representatives from the members of the Fed who provide revenue to it (the pro game, youth clubs, the players, etc...). I believe around the turn of the century that the makeup of the board changed from being controlled by youth clubs to giving the pro game (MLS) more say. They gave up this power because their interests are either aligned or not in conflict, the pro game was now a big business and with it presumably some management expertise could be brought to the table.

It seems like the Fed has done quite well financially, which is generally the major concern of a board. Beyond that it seems like the stakeholders who pick board reps have also done well for themselves. Missing the World Cup has hurt but it’s not a financial crisis for the Fed with the Copa windfall, the growth of the Women’s team, and a home men’s World Cup on the horizon.

With no major internal pressure for significant change because of the financials what would cause a board to push for them, that’s the question the OP needs to think about.

Eighteen Alpha, um_chili and jaykoz3 repped this.
  13. sXeWesley

sXeWesley Member+

Jun 18, 2007
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That’s both accurate and a pretty hilarious description of a “non profit”.

14. Master O

Master O Member+

Jul 7, 2006
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Basically the MNT is going to continue to be terrible because the board can't be bothered to do anything?

15. #1 Feilhaber and Adu

Aug 1, 2007

Yep. They have their future $$$$$$$$. So let the excuses roll-in forever.

16. Centennial

Centennial Member+

Apr 4, 2003
    Centennial
    The USSF needs to be gutted . The mold and rot needs to be cleaned out!!!

17. juveeer

juveeer Member+

Aug 3, 2006
    True.

But there is no mechanism to accomplish this.

TOAzer repped this.
  18. TOAzer

TOAzer Member+

The Man With No Club
    May 29, 2016
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The problem with entrusting an institution to human character is human character.

19. Centennial

Centennial Member+

Apr 4, 2003
    Centennial
    Anarchy!!!!!

20. NietzscheIsDead

NietzscheIsDead Member+

NO WAR
    United States
    May 31, 2019
    NO WAR
    Is this a novela? :p

21. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    I'm convinced eventually machines will do a much better job than humans at controlling things in an impartial and fast-adapting manner, but only insofar the source code running such machines is open and available for all people to study, to make sure no one introduces external biases.

22. Bob Morocco

Bob Morocco Member+

Aug 11, 2003
    Billings, MT
    I think the MNT is going to be terrible because a low % of our population deeply cares about the sport, we have little cultural knowledge to build on, AND our organizations are not going to be exceptional enough to make up for it.

23. melatoninlol

melatoninlol Member

Seattle Sounders
    United States
    Oct 27, 2019
    Near Boston
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We do have a woefully under-represented (at all levels) and rapidly growing demographic in our country that breathes soccer, but we don't engage with them very well at all. I'm not one for diversity quotas or whatever, but ignoring such an obvious issue that could help us greatly is incredibly..dumb.

24. truefan420

truefan420 Member+

May 30, 2010
    oakland
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  25. NietzscheIsDead

NietzscheIsDead Member+

NO WAR
    United States
    May 31, 2019
    NO WAR
    Looks like they terminated the USSF academy set up as well.

I'd expect to see the USSF shed whatever programs they can so that they can absorb the blow levied by the upcoming lawsuit, which will potentially have long term ramifications. I fully expect for the USSF to be made an example of for political purposes and for the womens team to own the program, at which point it would be best for the mens program to disconnect and do their own thing under a new name.

TOAzer repped this.