USSF Asks Fans To Wear Red Versus Mexico

Discussion in 'USA Men: Fans & Travel' started by ryebreadraz, Feb 4, 2009.

1. SnakeEyes

SnakeEyes Member

Oct 7, 2001
    32 years from now ESPN 14 will show this match as part of their showcase of the early days of America's rise to soccer power status.

You'll be able to say "See, I was there in the early days of a supporters section when there were fewer fans of the game." And then your grandchildren will ask... "Why weren't you wearing traditional red like the others?"

Be part of tradition NOW... wear red.

2. Spry

Spry Member

Apr 25, 2006
    Pasadena
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    http://goal.blogs.nytimes.com/2009/02/07/us-soccer-seeing-red/

“This is the first time we’ve reached out and said, ‘let’s make this an official campaign,’” said Neil Buethe, a U.S. Soccer spokesman . “We’re trying to get people across the country to also wear their red shirts to work or school and show their pride or loyalty to the team.”

But could there also be a scientific reason behind the wardrobe edict?

On Thursday, the New York Times’ Pam Belluck wrote about a new study published this week in Science magazine that examined differences in human cognitive performance when people see red or blue. In the study, conducted by researchers at the University of British Columbia, participants performed tasks while looking at images or words set against red, blue, or neutral backgrounds on a computer screen.

The red group, Belluck reported, performed better on tests requiring memory and attention to detail. The blue group, meanwhile, did better on tests requiring creativity or imagination.

The study is only the latest in a series of discussions and formal experiments in the past few years looking at the effects of colors on athletic competition.

In 2005, a team of anthropologists from Durham University published a study which found that athletes at the 2004 Olympics in Athens who were randomly assigned red uniforms in tae kwon do, wrestling, and boxing won 60 percent of the time over opponents wearing blue. The researchers culled similar data from Euro 2004.

Who can forget how the overachieving South Korean national team, buoyed by home support that resembled a red tide, who charged into the semifinals of World Cup 2002?

“Red seems to be the color, across species, that signals male dominance and testosterone levels,” Robert Barton, one of the Durham researchers, said at the time. The color, the researchers surmised, boosted the testosterone levels of those wearing it and had an opposite effect on those facing it.

Last summer, a paper published in the journal Psychological Science by a team of researchers from the University of Munster in Germany put a different spin on the matter.

The psychologists showed 42 experienced tae kwon do referees video clips of matches that pitted one athlete in red against one in blue. Through digital manipulation, the researchers were able to switch the colors in the videos for different tests. In identical clips, they found participants wearing red were awarded 13 percent more points than those in blue.

The researchers speculated that the color red did not boost athletic performance so much as it swayed referees to perceive a nonexistent competitive advantage.

But they also fired a warning to any soccer teams that might try to use this cognitive quirk to their advantage. “One can speculate that the red-clothed players are associated not only with more dominance but also with more aggressiveness,” the researchers wrote. “In ambiguous foul decisions this could be a disadvantage.”

This means if the U.S. is looking for an increase in tactical cognition and testosterone, they will also have to stomach a few sketchy calls from referees.

U.S. Soccer dismissed any complicated notions of how they settled on the color.

“I don’t think we ever put much weight into those studies,” Buethe said. “We started with red, white and blue, and red just speaks the loudest.”

3. blazindw

blazindw Moderator
    Staff Member

Jul 30, 2007
    Washington, DC
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Complete mistranslation. This is discussed here, but here's what the statement really says:

"They (U.S.S.F.) have asked Americans (fans) to come dressed in red to the game on Feb. 11th, I (John Sutcliffe) think it would be a good idea for all Mexicans to come in green."

"There are many Mexicans in the Columbus area, but what's happening is that US Soccer is playing in a small stadium to try to protect the sale directly to those associated with U.S. Soccer."

4. josh24601

josh24601 New Member

Dec 23, 2007
    Lol. Will there be flying cars in the future?

5. hhaire

hhaire New Member

Aug 28, 2005
    Mckinney,Tx
    No but there will be flying douche bags.

6. josh24601

josh24601 New Member

Dec 23, 2007
    Are you going to patent your invention or keep it to yourself?

7. Foosinho

Foosinho New Member

Jan 11, 1999
    New Albany, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes.

8. PhillyQuakesFan

PhillyQuakesFan New Member

Jun 25, 2007
    Delaware County, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [​IMG]

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=14IRDDnEPR4"]YouTube - 99 red ballons - Nena[/ame]

9. Fradista

Fradista Member

Feb 10, 2007
  10. Pibe the kid

Pibe the kid New Member

Dec 20, 2008
  11. #1 Feilhaber and Adu

Aug 1, 2007
    Wow not one county in Oklahoma was Democratic. Did McCain secretly brainswash the whole state???

12. thethinwhiteduke

Feb 13, 2008

not sure where you live but i saw red ponchos at most modells that i have been to in new york city. both of the ones on 42nd street (near my office) were carrying them for $5.99. as a sidenote to anyone in the new york area, they also have red hooded sweatshirts that are fleece lined for $15....should be warm enough for the weather

13. tin spam

tin spam Member

Jan 15, 2006
    I ain't wearing red cuz it's Slob color. Cripz 4 life, cuzz!

[​IMG]

14. THOMA GOL

THOMA GOL BigSoccer Supporter

Jul 16, 1999
    Frontier
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    LMAO!! Straight Crippin!!

a TFC fan:rolleyes: might wanna 'bounce' with you though.

15. TheScarfMachine

May 1, 2007
    Baltimore, MD
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I was stationed in Oklahoma for two years. Trust me, it was like that WELL before McCain.

16. Bluecat82

Bluecat82 Member+

Feb 24, 1999
    Minneapolis, MN
    Club:
    Minnesota United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm stunned that two counties in Utah went Democratic...

RECOUNT!!!!

17. Artesian

Artesian New Member

Nov 8, 2008
    The Evergreen State
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    From douchebags whining about wearing red to douchebags spewing politics. Close this damn thing already.

18. Clintonville Bombers

Nov 16, 2008
    I know this is a soccer forum, but just in case some people forgot or didn't know, The Ohio State Buckeyes are in Columbus as well as the Crew. Their main color is scarlet (also known as red). Finding a red poncho, sweatshirt, jacket, coat, cap, shirt, winter hat, socks or underwear should be very easy even minutes before the game. Ohio State's campus is about a 20 minute walk from Crew Stadium to make obtaining something red even easier.

Just FYI.

19. Tucson_soccer_fan

Feb 11, 2007
    AZ, TUCSON
    Club:
    FC Tucson
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Then there are douche bags whining about it instead of just ignoring the thread.

20. rw&b_kickers

rw&b_kickers New Member

Aug 24, 2007
    i went looking for my red tonight, to no avail...i'll hope to pick something up there.

21. GOREVS3000

GOREVS3000 Moderator
    Staff Member

New England Revolution
    United States
    Sep 18, 2006
    Boston
    Club:
    2 de Mayo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I have that shirt and now I am going to bring it...

22. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    It's amusing that a country that elects its President in a similar way to China is so paranoid about communism to the point where wearing red makes people insecure. :p

23. irish56

irish56 Member+

Oct 30, 2006
    indy
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm getting tired of all these douche bags that keep talking about douche bags.:cool:

24. Hamburgler03

Hamburgler03 BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 31, 2000
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    if we are going to keep talking about douche bags, the least we can do is also see some pictures of eye candy.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

25. dcScotty

dcScotty Member

Jan 7, 2009
    Annapolis
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Pure. Genius.