USS Enterprise skipper in video dustup

Discussion in 'Military Equipment, Service and Technology' started by Zenit, Jan 3, 2011.

1. Zenit

Zenit Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 3, 2000
    Above the Tear Line
    Club:
    Zenit St Petersburg
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    http://hamptonroads.com/2010/12/raunchy-videos-starring-enterprise-skipper-come-light

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WopAHvbg9LU"]YouTube - USS Enterprise Video Scandal: Navy Commander Mastermind Behind Raunchy Videos[/ame]

I have some conflicting thoughts. First, as an Army veteran, this kind of confirms what I have suspected was true for a very long time - something just ain't right with them Navy folks ;)

Part of me wants to give the skipper a break - yes, bathroom humor at best (and, aside from a few funny bits here, VERY lame humor at that), but to me the intent is clear; not to be injurious, but for morale purposes. I'll bet most on the ship at the time looked forward to these when they came out, there's not much new or entertaining going on during a 6 or 9 month deployment at sea. And if we were going to 86 field commanders with potty mouths and eccentric ways, say goodbye to some of the greatest military leaders in US history (Generals A. Jackson, Grant, Sherman, and Patton, as well as Admiral Halsey, immediately come to mind.) it is somewhat refreshing to see a flag grade officer who doesn't take himself too seriously, and one who exhibits some kind of sense of humor, even if it is somewhat lame.

HOWEVER, I don't see how the captain is going to get around a "conduct unbecoming of an officer and a gentleman" charge here - this appears to me a command grade officer going over the line in an attempt to get a little too close to the troops, which is never a good idea for any officer, of any rank. I'm not so offended by the bathroom humor, and I'll bet most veterans won't be either. But I'm sure there are many civilians that are, and I'll bet the Commander in Chief will be one of them.

The Big E is supposed to deploy to sea in 2 weeks, with newly appointed Capt. Honors commanding. Better than 50/50 odds the Navy delays deployment and replaces Capt. Honors. If it was up to me, I'd let Capt. Honors take the ship out to sea one last time, with the clear understanding that his paperwork and request for early retirement will be forwarded to the CNO and Secretary of the Navy at the earliest possible convenience. Regardless of what one thinks of the Captain, his career is over, he'll never get a star, although I would be surprised to see any reduction in rank over this.

2. Moishe

Moishe Moderator
    Staff Member

Boca Juniors
    Argentina
    Mar 6, 2005
    Here there and everywhere.
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    CNN just reported that Capt. Honors was officially relieved of his command. I'm prior Navy though not fleet/aviation and have heard much much worse than what Mr. Honors or any of his staff in the video put out. Was he out of line? Sure, and to video tape the whole thing is really poor judgment from someone that is commanding one of the most exclusive posts in the military and more so with a successful aviators background.

He definitely won't lose any rank over this nor do I think he'll be forced into retirement though it's possible. My guess is he'll either spent his last few years behind a desk or as an instructor of some sorts. The DoD has invested way too much money in to this guy to just let him walk. If he does walk he'll land a pretty lofty gig in the civilian sector. Oh well somebody has to be held accountable and we know it will never be the C.O. or the Admiral that rides on carriers as the BG commander.