USOC: Wizards vs. Menace All things Pre-game [R]

Discussion in 'Sporting Kansas City' started by IowaBoy, Jul 13, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kopiteinkc

kopiteinkc Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 1, 2000
    Shawnee
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    FYP. ;)

2. MenaceFanatic

MenaceFanatic New Member

Oct 5, 2004
    I don't really care who hosts, because like others have said it isn't that far. It isn't like we have to play Dallas or anything. And speaking of Dallas........
    in the history of the MLS in the USOC only twice has the defending champion chosen to not follow "tradition" and travel to the smaller clubs. THat would have been Dallas in 1998 and Columbus in 2003. Dallas was sucessful in thier opening round bid in 1998- Columbus was not as successful in 2003. Not sure why any of this is important, other than it really is tradition for the MLS teams to travel (two teams in 9 years?).

As far as the "tired players........getting to see family members" and etc.-- pure and simple crap. These guys are paid to play, that is thier job. The claims have been made that you won't have to do anything but field reserves. Then why are you concerned about the condition of the starters? Sounds to me like someone is a little nervous about a certain upstart PDL team who has no respect for thier "elders".

Honestly, who cares where we play--we will come to support our boys and our boys will represent us well. Win or lose-- we know that we will do everything possible to knock the next obstacle down that stands in our way. If we do it, then we killed another giant. If we don't, then great job to the Wizards in beating a PDL team. Maybe your coaches can visit our players after the game (like the others have) and offer them contracts to get rid of those on your team who are comfortable with thier station in life and have no heart.

3. kcscsupporter

kcscsupporter Member+

Apr 17, 2002
    D17
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    nice speech. unfortunately, my alarm is going off so i have to wake up now.

4. aetraxx7

aetraxx7 Member+

Jun 25, 2005
    Des Moines, IA
    Club:
    Des Moines Menace
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My approach to this game is similar ot the one I had against Pitt, Atlanta, and Charleston - our boys will play their hearts out and despite the talk, the pros will think we're a joke. It's hard for paid athletes not to think of a team of college players as a joke or at least an easy win. Despite what the Menace have done, subconsciously, they'll be a passing nod in the minds of KC players until the Menace jump ahead on the scoreboard.

Of course I want my team to win - the Menace are the most entertaining sports team in Des Moines. They've always had something - but this team has "IT." If the nation would give a crap, this Menace team would be on the tip of sports analysts' tongues - guaranteed. It's easy for people to get behind an underdog from a smaller midwest city (see Warner, Kurt). The emotional charge associated with this phenomenon is amazing.

Unfortunately, we live in one of the few countries in the world where soccer matters very little. We probably won't be seeing the Menace on ESPN or even FSC. We'd be lucky to land on GolTV. It still doesn't change the fact that IF people knew and IF they cared, they'd get behind us. This nation loves giant killers (why most cheer when the Yankees lose) and that's the role the Menace have been playing this year.

I sincerely hope we win in KC, but I can't say we will and I can't say we won't. I will say that if I dared to make a bold prediction, we win by 2 goals at least. That's statistically unlikely, but that's what I think in my heart.

Win or lose, these guys have done something no Menace team ever has (has any PDL team?). On top of it, They've provided the fans with the best soccer we'll probably witness in DM (unless the damn stadium finally gets built). Through it all, they've remained approachable and respectful. I'm sure I'm not alone in saying that I am extremely proud of the team. Casey's done a great job.

Proudly, I proclaim: I AM A MENACE FAN!!!!!!

The Wizards are going down like a $3 (clean) in a room full of (clean)
    No magic can prevent that outcome!
    DM5-KC3 There it is. Choke on it.

5. Jarnevic

Jarnevic BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 21, 2005
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    *sigh*:rolleyes:

6. kcscsupporter

kcscsupporter Member+

Apr 17, 2002
    D17
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    how 'bout, instead, i write that down on some toilet paper and wipe my a$$ with it? but it has to be after a night of heavy drinking so i can spread my true feelings all over it.

7. Mdarney

Mdarney Member

Apr 3, 2005
    KC Midtown
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Our daughter will probably be on crutches (or just off them) for the game (soccer injury). Is there good handicap access?

8. Wizardscharter

Wizardscharter New Member

Jul 25, 2001
    Blue Springs, MO
    :rolleyes: Whatever.

If by, "reallly well" you mean effort for :10 each half and hang around net and poach garbage rebounds then yeah, maybe.

9. Redfoot

Redfoot New Member

Dec 19, 2002
    Indianapolis
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah we don't need those kinds of forwards that hang out in the box and poach goals. :rolleyes:

10. Tx_lilura

Tx_lilura New Member

Jul 18, 2005
    KC
    After reading all these posts re the field, I decided to drive past it on my way home from work. The field looks great - no dead grass or patchy areas, it looks even and very well maintained and it does have lighting.

There is a handicap ramp from the parking lot to the sidewalk that follows the south side of the field to the stands. All seating is on the same side - the west side.

It has a concession stand; however, unless they set up something for the game, the only concessions are a soft drink machine.

For those who need directions:

from I-29 - take the NW 64th Street exit (Hwy 45). Go west 2 miles to the Hwy 9 intersection. Go south 2 miles to the stadium. You can't miss it, it's on the east side of the street - right next to the street.

from I-435 - take exit 22 (Hwy 45) and go east approx 4.5 miles to the Hwy 9 intersection. (You will pass the round-about at Tom Watson's golf course.) Go south 2 miles to the stadium. FYI, it's ~ 25 min drive from the I-35 and I435 junction.

I hope this helps everyone.

11. McGinty

McGinty Member

SKC/STL
    Aug 29, 2001
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    A few years back we were supposed to have trouble with travelling to Wisconsin to face a Milwaukee side that I believe won the A-League that year. As it turned out, we put out a lineup with many reserves due to injury and fixture congestion and won without any trouble.

Last year, we were supposed to have a dogfight against Atlanta, especially with them expecting a big crowd. Sorry, didn't break much of a sweat.

Sorry Menace supporters who believe they are being slighted, but its not the first time we or any other MLS fan have heard how tough a lower division opponent will be.

12. BenC1357

BenC1357 Member

Feb 23, 2001
    KC
    I'm sorry, but I have to pick this one apart...
    If you don't care, then why are all of the Menace fans talking about it? You included.

What is the freaking point here? The Wizards had the opportunity to host the game and took it. Doesn't it make sense to give your team the best chance of moving on in the tournament, no matter who the opponent is? Not to mention save on travel time in the middle of a very tough stretch in our MLS schedule. It only makes sense, and anyone that doesn't understand that needs to go get their brain tumor removed.

What in the sam hell are you talking about? First, this game is four days before a three game road trip that has us going cross country in 6 days (New England to Chicago to Salt Lake City). The first two of those games are against the top two teams in our division. So riding a charter up to Des Moines is the last thing the Wizards want their players doing before they set out on that tough road trip. And again, if you can't comprehend how three games in 7 days spread out across the country is extremely difficult on the players bodies then you're beyond help.
    Now, do we expect the Menace to care about our scheduling issues? Nope. Just get through your thick skulls why given the circumstances we chose to play at home.

First, I haven't seen a whole lot of people "claiming" we will only need reserves for this game. I specifically said that in the USOC games we usually field a mix of starters and reserves. Again, seeing as how this is the first of four games in an 11 day stretch, you'll probably see some reserves.
    And nervous, of course there are some nervous fans. We don't want to be the laughing stock by losing to a minnow. Salt Lake already did it this year, and we don't want to be put in the same boat. So until the score is 3-0, I'll have some nerves about this one.

Obviously quite a lot of Menace fans, as well as most KC fans.

Good for you. I hope you guys have a large group down and you give great support to your team.

I'm not sure what you're implying, if anything, with the last sentence. But ok...

13. BenC1357

BenC1357 Member

Feb 23, 2001
    KC
    I'm fairly certain that whatever KC players are on the field to start this game will be taking it very seriously. They won this last year, and I would venture to say by the reaction of the players when they won it that they want to do it again. So losing to a PDL team in our first game probably isn't acceptable to them.

That's sort of delusional, isn't it? You're correct that people love the underdog, but "on the tip of sports analysts' tongues"??? I don't think so.

I also wanted to point out this contradiction. So, then we beat you, are you coming over here to eat some crow?

Your profile does that for you, no need to scream it out in red.

14. ojsgillt

ojsgillt Member

Feb 27, 2001
    Lee's Summit MO
    I agree with you, you guys are in a win-win situation. You've made it this far. You've won your championship, might as well rush the feild and tear down the goal and carry it to closest bar after the Menace lose. The Menace have done a great job to make it this far, it is commendable. It is just going to suck that much more to get knocked out of the competition again.

So I pose the question for general converstation. Which hurts worse, losing early, or making a run and getting bitch slapped back into place when the big boys come to play?

15. Quista 14

Quista 14 New Member

May 31, 2003
    Being a Menace supporter I am sort of tired of all the complaining about the USOC site. It's about a thousand times better than any field the Menace have played on in Des Moines. It's not a sign of disrespect or anything like that. I know first-hand that it's difficult to find fields to play on in the middle of summer. So, Menace fans let's suck it up and remember that its better than Waukee. I do think it's sad that a city the size of KC can not fill a facility bigger than 1500. I think you will see close to 400 Menace fans there.

No idea how the game will end up. I just hope for an entertaining match. I am not throwing out a 5-3 score, that was a little ridiculous. Could be ugly, could be close. These types of matchups are way too unpredictable. I would have never guessed in a million years that we would have beaten Atlanta 5-1, nor did they. Anything is possible. In 1998 the Nashville Metros defeated your beloved Wizards 3-1.

16. DamonEsquire

DamonEsquire BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 16, 2002
    Kentucky
    Club:
    Leeds United AFC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Team don't look badly in season. The Beast from East is alive! I say The Meance stands a chance but it might take unordinary posture from Kansas City Wizards. I look at scoreboard and teams find the net. Also few MLS teams went down in past. It could happen but I would put at least one in finals. This interests. The Menace already graps $10,000.00 for top preformance under league or pretty darn close. So the question is this. Are they still hungry? Chickens and cows for entrees.

17. Quista 14

Quista 14 New Member

May 31, 2003
    Making a run is a hell of a lot better than losing early. People that follow all levels of soccer in this country have taken note of Des Moines. It's a solid organization and have had great success. I know PDL teams have advanced to play MLS sides, but I don't think any have accomplished what Des Moines has done so far, defeating one 2nd division team and defeating two 1st Division teams to get to an MLS team. So, if we get "bitch slapped" it was fun getting there at least. It certainly would be embarrassing if KC lost to us, I hope I get to witness that.

18. BenC1357

BenC1357 Member

Feb 23, 2001
    KC
    Thank you.

Really? Do you have anything to base that on, or are you just being hopeful. If so, that would suck for us KC fans, but it would also be pretty impressive.

In 1998 we didn't take the USOC seriously at all. Not until Gansler arrived did we really take it seriously, and even in his first couple of years we weren't that serious about it. It seems that only since around 2002 have we really went all out for this competition.

19. the_cyclones

the_cyclones New Member

Jul 26, 2004
    The Cauldron
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ah yes... let's stir it up.... found this on another site.
    It's the QuarterFinal matchups

Quarterfinal #2

Des Moines Menace (PDL) at Minnesota Thunder (USL 1) James Griffin Stadium; St. Paul, Minn. 7:00 p.m. CT
    OR
    Des Moines Menace (PDL) at Colorado Rapids (MLS) North Area Athletic Complex; Arvada, Colo. 7:30 p.m. PT
    OR
    Colorado Rapids (MLS) at Kansas City Wizards (MLS) TBD TBD
    OR
    Minnesota Thunder (USL 1) at Kansas City Wizards (MLS) TBD TBD

20. BitterSoccerFan

Jun 15, 2005
    Kansas City
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I emailed a contact at Park and he told me that capacity of Julian Field is 1,360. I played for Park years ago and the field wasn't that bad then, they have since made improvements on the field. The only possible gripe could be bleacher side(west) of field is pretty tight to the hillside making corners challenging.

21. MenaceFanatic

MenaceFanatic New Member

Oct 5, 2004
    How cool would this matchup be? Our reserves already beat their reserves...
    can't we just submit that result and move on to the next round?

22. BenC1357

BenC1357 Member

Feb 23, 2001
    KC
    Woohoo! Two home games again this year!!! And a good draw to boot. We could be well on our way to a second straight Cup boys. :D

I know, don't count your chickens...

23. SnakeEyes

SnakeEyes Member

Oct 7, 2001
    Just an update here, word is two busses may be needed.

24. the_cyclones

the_cyclones New Member

Jul 26, 2004
    The Cauldron
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    but that doesn't seem to mean anything... i mean.. the big egos that have been on this board ... that could mean 2 people....

ha ha.. yeah, it's just a joke ok?
    I am sure you meant 2 short buses anyway.

25. ojsgillt

ojsgillt Member

Feb 27, 2001
    Lee's Summit MO
    1 bus is for the players, and the other half of the bus is filled with pigs so they can bring the aroma of their home atmosphere on the road with them.