USOC Semi-Final Post Game Thread {R}

Discussion in 'FC Dallas' started by wcharriscpa, Sep 5, 2007.

1. RHMCW

RHMCW Member

Nov 14, 2004
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle
    So winning is everything and integrity is marginalized. That's a good thing? To say that the Sounders would have done the same would mean a radical change in character. That is not to say they may take a little more time to put the ball in play, but not to the extent Dallas did. Seattle tends to waste time during the run of play by carrying the ball into the corners and such. If the Sounders engaged in that type of behavior, to that extent I would not renew my season tickets. Perhaps, I am too idealistic. It is a shame that a team as talented as Dallas would rather win by denying their opponents the opportunity to play than by playing hard until the end.

2. Parrothead FC

Parrothead FC Member

Jun 29, 2005
    Austin, Texas
    Club:
    Austin Aztex
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    tell you who DID deny Seattle the chance to play was Abbe Okulaja. that first half ending whistle should lose him his job. and a long overdue termination it would be, too.

3. Kevin Lindstrom

Oct 28, 2003
    Dallas, TX
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Please.

On the Sala thing, your guy took one hell of a crack at him - on a guy who wasn't 100% in the first place. And other fouls that some of the Sounder fans seem to think were marginal were anything but. I'm not saying there wasn't ANY time wasting, but whatever there might have been wasn't SIGNIFICANT.

And even if you give the Sounders the benefit of the doubt on the time wasting, it still doesn't amount to any significant amount of time. For the sake of argument, let's say it was a whopping 5 minutes.

Your team had another 115 to score and didn't.

Some of your fans get this. Others, not so much.

If you're going to get all high and mighty about a minute or two of time wasting, I'd hate to see how upset you get when someone really blows a call. Apparently you get great refereeing in the USL1.

As I've said elsewhere, maybe you guys are just shocked that you finally ran into an MLS team that brought their A game and your dream run ended. Sorry to disappoint.

But ultimately, it comes down to this - one team finished their chances and the other didn't. Everything else is semantics.

4. nigelg

nigelg 30 something has been

May 17, 2006
    Round Rock, TX
    me thinks you and the pbp guy drink the same kool aid.

5. england66

england66 Member+

Jan 6, 2004
    dallas, texas

Tough to imagine a more positive article about a soccer game. thanks for the link. Repped.

6. sounderfan

sounderfan New Member

Apr 6, 2003
    Seattle fans are notoriously forgiving of our opponents.

We understand the underdog perspective and how the Sounders played above their heads in a great USOC run.

The most likely outcome of losing to Dallas would have been to cheer for Dallas in the Final, so we could say we lost to the Champions.

For some people that opportunity was robbed of them by the antics of Ruiz, and others.

Those antics were unnecessary.

But that is in the past, and something your supporters will deal with / ignore as other fans bring it up.

I'd like to give a big shout out to my Sounders. Hope you enjoyed the photos.

7. SeventhRowScreamer

Jan 26, 2007
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Is antics the german word for winners?

8. sounderfan

sounderfan New Member

Apr 6, 2003
    Oh, FCD deserved to win. At least in OT they showed the skill needed to win such big matches.

It's the other stuff that I felt 'let down' about.

I think most fans would like to leave a match they lost thinking "Well, ______ were just better in the end" and leave it at that.

Instead, player behavior drew AWAY from the praise FCD might have received from Seattle fans.

You don't need to care about that. It's just something to note.

FCD could have done *more* than win a match. They could have done it with class and given Seattle fans reason to respect them, and MLS even more.
    For some Seattle fans, they let us down in that category.

9. 3rd Degree

3rd Degree Member

Feb 6, 2000
    Dallas
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Match Report USOC: FC Dallas 2, Seattle Sounders 1
    Two goals in overtime send Hoops to US Open Cup Final
    September 6th, 2007 . By: Jamie Fougerousse
    http://www.3rddegree.net/

10. Dr. Foosball™

Dr. Foosball™ New Member

Dec 23, 2006
    Hot Springs, AR
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'll take a semi-final win on the road over pleasing the opponents fans anyday. The reason for slowing down the game wasn't to keep your team from scoring, it was because we would have embarrased your team in front of the new fans with a 6-0 win otherwise.

11. FCD-FAN

FCD-FAN Member

Mar 25, 2007
    Saginaw, Texas
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

LOL!!!

Hold on, let me get my popcorn, this is gonna get good....

[​IMG]

12. Cyclones Rock

Cyclones Rock New Member

Jan 26, 2007

Sounds like the whining of a losing fan. The Sounders played a nice game, but you are simply acting like a poor loser. Whining about the team that just beat you is pretty low class.

13. RHMCW

RHMCW Member

Nov 14, 2004
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle

You are absolutely correct about Seattle blowing their many chances to win. Seattle should have done a better job of finishing. My issue is with the attitude and lack of sportsmanship that Dallas exihibited. There is no scoreline that excuses poor sportsmanship.

14. Cyclones Rock

Cyclones Rock New Member

Jan 26, 2007

My issue is with the attitude and lack of class of the few Seattle fans that feel they need to come here and whine. Take your whining to your own board.
    I don't really care if you felt let down by our team. They made me happy and I'll be cheering them on at PHP in the USOC final - that is what they are supposed to do win games and make their fans happy so the their fans buy tickets and jerseys, etc. Whether they make the fans of the team they just stepped on to get to the final happy or not, I could care less.

15. RHMCW

RHMCW Member

Nov 14, 2004
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle
    Win, at any cost?

16. burning247

burning247 Member+

Liverpool FC
    England
    Sep 16, 2000
    Dallas
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    So lets see here, the only legitimate complaint about time wasting without cause was Ruiz's who gets the arm band thing. Fair enough. But Sala really did get cleated before he went down. Even if he was milking that call, its your fault for making such a stupid play which he could use as an excuse to waste time. As for Goodson and Yi, they were really hurt. The one that gets me the most was how pissed your PBP guy got when Wags went down yet if he actually could see past his own biase into the monitor, he'd see that he was legitimatly taken out.

Now go back to crying into your cherrios, you wankers.

Sour grapes taste so bad.

17. Cyclones Rock

Cyclones Rock New Member

Jan 26, 2007

If the cost is simply ticking off a handful of yokels from the opponents, then I have no issue with that. If you weren't here to complain about "time wasting" you would be here to whine about something else.
    I don't recall any of your coaches or players complaining, nor any media report mentioning it. Why not, because FCD did nothing out ot the ordinary for a team hanging on to a lead in Cup semi-final.

18. Kevin Lindstrom

Oct 28, 2003
    Dallas, TX
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't think you guys are giving yourselves enough credit. That was a very difficult game to win, and it took Dallas doing everything they could.

Welcome to The Bigs.

And again, really, I think you're making a lot out of a little.

19. Dr. Foosball™

Dr. Foosball™ New Member

Dec 23, 2006
    Hot Springs, AR
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    wow. never thought I would get neg-repped for being a troll on the FCD board. I guess a lot of things are different in USL land.

Go Portland.

20. ElJefe

ElJefe Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 16, 1999
    Colorful Colorado
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You know, I could appreciate the complaints from Sounders fans (and other fans) a bit more if I wasn't 100% positive that they would be shrugging their shoulders if their teams did it while on their way to victory.

Furthermore, the only incident in which opposing fans have cause to complain is Armbandgate. Every other incident was one in which some blue-clad putz wanting to make a name for himself shithammered or attempted to shithammer one of our guys.

21. boomersooner027

May 13, 2004
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    Bahamas
    Controversy coming from an Abbey Okulaja reffed game?!

NEVER!

And yes, in Open Cup it's win at all cost. If they were pulling that crap in an MLS game, I might be a little pissed. This is the cup semifinals though, just win baby.

22. ElJefe

ElJefe Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 16, 1999
    Colorful Colorado
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Of course, since we actually won a game in which Abbey Okulaja reffed, we'll now be condemned to 10 straight losses where he's in the middle.

Truth is, I think that Abbey is all about the "names." If your team (for whatever reason) has more players for whom Rob Stone would don the kneepads, you'll get more calls. Hence he always screws us when we play Houston, since they rate higher on the Rob Stone BJ Index, but when we play a USL team, we're golden.

23. boomersooner027

May 13, 2004
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    Bahamas
    Interesting theory. I would like to subscribe to your newsletter and learn more.

24. texgator

texgator New Member

Oct 28, 2003
    Plano
    But...but.....but we have Denilson.

BTW, where does one get the latest copy of the Rob Stone BJ Index? Is Parrish involved with calculating that one? I heard the last release had some serious repercussions on the Asian Currency Market.

25. Allison A

Allison A New Member

Jun 6, 2001
    Portland, OR
    I got negative rep too for posting actual attendance figures for Portland and Seattle on another thread.