USOC Matches

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by Sachin, Jul 1, 2005.

1. Sachin

Sachin New Member

Jan 14, 2000
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    On August 3, we will face either Richmond or the Ocean City Barons.

Sachin

2. Lanky134

Lanky134 New Member

Oct 25, 1999
    134, 3, 6
    I saw that Charleston were knocked out, and breathed a sigh of relief...

3. Sachin

Sachin New Member

Jan 14, 2000
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    I just got another cup of coffee.

Sachin

4. Pints

Pints Member

Apr 21, 2004
    Charm City

Some info on the competition, for those interested.

OC Barons

Richmond Kickers

Also a bracket if interested.

5. Bill-DC

Bill-DC Member+

May 20, 2002
    I just listened to Bob Dylan's "One More Cup of Coffee" on my iPod.

6. writered21

writered21 Member+

Jul 14, 2001
    Middle of the Road
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Good work for Ocean City and Des Moines to make it through to this point.

7. Colonial717

Colonial717 New Member

Aug 5, 2004
    Arlington, VA
    So your telling me that Chicago's youth PDL team was two goals away from playing RSL. God that would have been great. I would have paid to see that game and rooted for the youngins.

On a DCU note, why don't we have a youth PDL team. It seems to me that it could be a very important part of growing soccer in the US of A as well as hopefully giving DC an edge on all teams that don't already have one and it dovetails nicely with our pushing for a reserve league. I think this should be an initiative for the new owner's group when they come in so that it can be set up by the time we hopefully please god move into our SSS.

8. Hunter R

Hunter R New Member

Jul 7, 2003
    Me, Myself and I
    Club:
    DC United
    Richmond is no pushover this year (hell, they weren't last year!). It would be great to be to see United within walking distance of my place.

If we and the Metros got through to the 5th round, who would be the home team?

9. Bootsy Collins

Bootsy Collins Player of the Year

Oct 18, 2004
    Capitol Hill
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    DC, of course. Regardless of where the game is played.

10. gsterp

gsterp Member+

Jul 16, 2003
    College Park
    That's not a set bracket. It's just a listing of the matches in bracket form. The draw for each round is released a day or two after the previous round matchup is finalized. Not saying that there couldn't be a DC/Metro quarterfinal, but it's not a done deal yet.

11. Pints

Pints Member

Apr 21, 2004
    Charm City

Someone rep this guy. Please.

12. Mikey mouse

Mikey mouse Member

Jul 27, 1999
    Charleston, SC
    Club:
    Charleston
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

rub it in....

13. ursula

ursula Member

Feb 21, 1999
    Republic of Cascadia

Done and done.

14. Mikey mouse

Mikey mouse Member

Jul 27, 1999
    Charleston, SC
    Club:
    Charleston
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    bastarto ;)

good luck guys.

I think Richmond has peaked this year. I still think they will make the play offs and will win matches but recent preformances haven't really been stellar.

Des Moines could do well. Not trying to make excuses but the field in Des moines is only 60 yard wide. The Battery likes to attack down the wings and the field size really congested that. They are playing Atlanta which has another narrow field (league min. of 68 IIRC) but I would love to see how they do on a wide pitch. (the 'baud is 75)

15. CPRoyale

CPRoyale New Member

Apr 14, 2001
    Adams Morgan
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I suspect that the PDL team being set up in Chicago was the work of Wilt. I agree that the concept would be logical and beneficial for DCU to incorporate into their system of scouting talent. I find myself frequently asking what role Harkes play for United as the head of youth development. Is the whole idea to have these youth academies solely for generating revenue? Is seems like a bunch of glorified soccer camps to me, and 'academy' only in name. It would be nice to see Harkes as the coach of a DCU PDL team.
    At the end of the day, you have an expense instead of a revenue generating entity. Does anyone know how much these academies make for the organization? You have to approach the establishment of a PDL solely as an investment in player development. Once you cross that line, you begin to get into a lot of debate over single entity, and the role of MLS versus individual teams in player development.

16. GoDC

GoDC Member

Nov 23, 1999
    Hamilton, VA
    Richie WIlliams starts for Richmond. I see all of our starting midfielders coming down with the flu if we are scheduled to play Richmond.

:D

17. big spaniel

big spaniel Member

Nov 18, 1999
    Arlington, Virginia
    I see that Metro might get Rochester. If so, they are dead.

18. spidergoose

spidergoose Member

Nov 2, 2004
    Annapolis
    Club:
    DC United
    On one hand, I would love to go to a match down in Richmond, for obvious reasons. However, given the possibility of facing the Ocean City (NJ) Barons and then the Metros in the next round, I can't pass up the opportunity for the Jersey SWEEP! :D

19. monster

monster Member

Oct 19, 1999
    Hanover, PA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Kinda off the main topic, but part of the youth development program are Super Y League teams (U19, U17 and U15 boys this year plus U17 and U15 girls) which have consistently been among the best in the country. These teams have also faced international competition. And Super Y is part of the ODP program.

I have hoped for a long time that every team would have a PDL squad and have the opportunity to "protect" players that they have trained for a certain amount of time, giving up draft choices in exchange for those players. But that's a whole nother topic.

On the USOC tip, part of me is rooting for Ocean City because I love the underdog (if they aren't playing DC) and that could get us a home match.

20. MasterShake29

MasterShake29 Member+

Oct 28, 2001
    Jersey City, NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Amazing what a name change can do for you (they were South Jersey last year, hence the website address linked above). :) Good for them for naming themselves after the city where they play. Wonder if any other soccer teams in New Jersey are listening...

Go them.