USOC Final on MSG

Discussion in 'New York Red Bulls' started by Roehl Sybing, Oct 5, 2003.

1. Roehl Sybing

Roehl Sybing Guest

Is it possible?

On some mindless browsing around the Metros website looking for postgame coverage, I stumbled on the TV schedule, which has the cup final on MSG that night.

Not that it concerns me that much except that I want to tape it while I'm AT the game.

2. otterulz

otterulz Member

Arsenal, Atleti
    South Korea
    Jun 20, 2002
    LIC, NY
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Isn't the game on FSW anyway?

3. tkgunn

tkgunn Member

Nov 18, 1998
    NJ
    it is on FSW but I would think that more people in the tri-state have MSG than FSW.

4. nyrmetros

nyrmetros Member

Feb 7, 2004
    FSW will broadcast the game, however technically MSG could buy the feed...

5. MasterShake29

MasterShake29 Member+

Oct 28, 2001
    Jersey City, NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    People in the tri-state area can just go to the game.

6. GIO17

GIO17 Member

Nov 29, 1998
    What will probably happen is that MSG Network will have post match interviews at Giants Stadium and locker room celebrations as well as Shep Messing, Steve Cangelosi & if he is able to make it. J.P. DellaCamera talking about this match.

Maybe MSG Network will have the US Open Cup match with the Fox Sports World announcers. Sometimes when the Yankees are on ESPN during the playoffs. Channel 9 WWOR will show the game as well. For some people who don't have cable.

So that's what my guess will be.

7. pmc73

pmc73 New Member

Jan 17, 2002
    Red Bank
    MSG could also pick up on Tape Delay as they are doint with the Dallas game.

8. onefineesq

onefineesq Member+

Sep 16, 2003
    Laurel, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As many people have said, JUST GO TO THE GAME! the league need bodies in the seats, and as much as i hate to say this ........... i'm pulling for the Metros (I am a born and raised NY'er who lives in the DC area). I just wish that Mathis wasn't playing because i just can't stand that guy! LOL

9. Haig

Haig Member+

May 14, 2000
    METROSTARS
    Club:
    --other--

I'm guessing that all the major broadcast channels will interrupt prime-time programming to bring in news of the goals as they hit the back of the net. And the night before the final, to be shown on PBS, Ken Burns, I'm guessing, is putting together a documentary of the Metros' 1998 season using a newly discovered archive of rare rotogravures.

That's my guess. What's yours?

10. Michael K.

Michael K. Member

Mar 3, 1999
    There or Thereabouts
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I already saw this last winter. Shelby Foote was great as always, but that Doris Kearns Goodwin added absolutely nothing with her shameless prattling on about how Alexi Lalas was unduly criticized during his stint in Metroland.

11. Kevin

Kevin New Member

Excellent segment with Robert Caro in which he deconstructed the life of Charlie Stillitano and gave us valuable insight on what motivated Charlie during his mad attempt to ruin club soccer in New York. Classic bit where he refers to Stillitano as the Edsel of US soccer GM's.

12. Dyvel

Dyvel Member+

Jul 24, 1999
    The dog end of a day gone by
    Club:
    Leeds United AFC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    That was not even her own opinion, Kearns nicked that from a Barbera Tuchman book. You can't trust Red Sox fans.

13. Kevin

Kevin New Member

BTW, it is not a huge leap of faith to think that FSNY or MSG may be able to get the match. Both are already affiliated with Fox Sports and show some FSW content at times during the week anyway....

14. XaviusX

XaviusX Member

Mar 21, 2001
    Tampa, Florida
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    JUST GO TO GIANTS STADIUM AND WATCH THE MATCH!!!

Here I am all the way down in Florida and you guys, who are much closer to Giants Stadium, can just go whenever!

DON'T TAKE THIS OPPORTUNITY FOR GRANTED!!!

Go Support the Metros in Person!!! Believe me, If I could, I would in a Heartbeat!

15. otterulz

otterulz Member

Arsenal, Atleti
    South Korea
    Jun 20, 2002
    LIC, NY
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I sure as hell hope that MSG doesn't get the feed. I don't get MSG up here in Providence, but I do get FSW. No way I can miss this.

16. red&black1

red&black1 New Member

Mar 8, 2003
    Kearny NJ
    NEWS FLASH!!!!!!

*THIS JUST IN FROM FSW... THE METROSTARS VS. FIRE USOC FINALS WILL NOT BE TELEVISED AND WILL BE REPLACED BY PAID ADVERTISING...

EVERYONE AND ANYONE WISHING TO VIEW THIS CHAMPIONSHIP MATCH MUST ATTEND GIANTS STADIUM ON 10/15.

*lame attempt to increase attendance numbers. Disregard everything written above. The match will not be replaced by paid advertisments on FSW.

17. Real Ray

Real Ray Member

May 1, 2000
    Cincinnati, OH
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No, by far the best Caro segement was when he explained how we can trace Nick's stadium headaches to Robert Moses:

[​IMG]
    There will be no soccer stadium built in New York City or Long Island-ever!

18. Brownswan

Brownswan New Member

Jun 30, 1999
    Port St. Lucie, FL
    It's real simple: come to the match and bring a friend. Tape it at home for all the 'fore-and-afters'
    but it's going to look a whole lot better with 20k in the Swamp.

Maybe we can teach at least half to chant "We want the Cup! Gotta have the Cup!"

Now that isn't too hard, is it?

19. NMmetrofan

NMmetrofan New Member

Jul 29, 2002
    ALBUQUERQUE NM
    UNFORTUNATELY i DONT LIVE IN NJ ANYMORE can ANYONE videotape it and send it to me id be willing to throw a few bucks your way for the effort as well please anyone who can email me at lotussound@att.net PLEASE it SUCKS being a metros fan FINALLY going to a final and being trapped in the desert

20. Roehl Sybing

Roehl Sybing Guest

OK, you know what? This is the last time I make an inquiry about the MetroStars on television.

21. NMmetrofan

NMmetrofan New Member

Jul 29, 2002
    ALBUQUERQUE NM
    UNFORTUNATELY i live close to 3000 miles away from GIANT STADIUM (i used to live 25 miles away) and it would cost me $540 just to fly in for the game something i cant afford right now

22. GIO17

GIO17 Member

Nov 29, 1998
    O.k. The T.V. situation. Not that it matters because the majority is going to be at Giants Stadium. but if you want to tape it for posterity here it is.

From Soccer TV.com

Wed Oct 15 05:00PM Pacific
    Wed Oct 15 06:00PM Mountain
    Wed Oct 15 07:00PM Central
    Wed Oct 15 08:00PM Eastern
    Length: 2 hr LIVE
    FOX Sports World (US)
    United States Open Cup - Final
    New York/New Jersey (MLS) vs Chicago (MLS)
    --------------------------------------------------
    Wed Oct 15 05:00PM Pacific
    Wed Oct 15 06:00PM Mountain
    Wed Oct 15 07:00PM Central
    Wed Oct 15 08:00PM Eastern
    Length: 2 hr LIVE
    Madison Square Garden Network (MSG) - New York

Wed Oct 15 09:00PM Pacific
    Wed Oct 15 10:00PM Mountain
    Wed Oct 15 11:00PM Central
    Thu Oct 16 12:00AM Eastern
    Length: 2 hr R
    Madison Square Garden Network (MSG) - New York

23. nyrmetros

nyrmetros Member

Feb 7, 2004
    I wonder if MSG will be using the FSW feed, or they will be producing their own telecast.

24. NJPsycho

NJPsycho New Member

Mar 28, 2002
    Dirty Jerzee
    Also confirmed on www.soccer.com
    Why isn't the MSG website saying boo about this?
    http://www.msgnetwork.com/tv_schedule.jsp

25. maverick

maverick New Member

Mar 7, 1999
    San Diego, CA
    Not sure I can make it out to Giants Stadium in time for the match... :(

Is it 100% certain that MSG is showing the match simultaneously to FSW, live @ 8 PM? Currently, the MSG website has "English Premier League" listed from 8-10 on Wed, Oct 15 on its proprietary TV Schedule (which I assume would be kept up to date). I don't get FSW -- but I have access to MSG, so this is obviously of critical importance.

http://www.msgnetwork.com/tv_schedule.jsp

Has anyone called MSG to confirm? (Alternatively, can anyone produce similarly authoritative sources?) Thanks in advance for the heads up...

P.S. Damn, NJPsycho: Great minds think alike. :D Near identical posts in time and substance!