USOC Final: Escape From New York [R]

Discussion in 'Chicago Fire' started by jmeissen0, Oct 15, 2003.

1. JeffGMc

JeffGMc Member

Oct 14, 2000
    New York City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    More than likely getting a call about "hey, you're on TV!"

Holy crap, I can't feel anything but joy today. If anyone has a copy of this game, I would love to have it, as there's not much I remember after about the 70th minute.

Liam, glad to hear you made it back.

2. krolpolski

krolpolski Member+

And how cool was it to have FSW show them screwing the Fire's name plate on the trophy DURING the game.

3. Catfish

Catfish Member

Oct 1, 2002
    Chicago
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    We Are the Champions!!!

Hell yeah! We beat those NY MetroStars and it felt sooo good. Nice to see one great sports franchise in Chicago. Too bad only a handful of people in the city care. We can say that we were there when history of made last night..3 time USOC champs...6 times in the USOC finals...not bad.

Our beloved Fire are creating a wonderful soccer tradition with their hardwork and great players. I'm damn proud to be a Fire fan and live in Chicago...thanks to all the fellow fans and the team. You guys rock!

4. WarrenWallace

WarrenWallace Member

Mar 12, 1999
    Beer and Cheese
    Boy am I tired. Don't think that I slept much at all last night after the bar and in the Newark airport. But is was worth it.

5. Chicago1871

Chicago1871 Member

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Great job last night to the guys and gals who made it out there. Who's the best?!

PS, Wankler and Yanks I have claimed the quote for my sig. as well, it's too perfect not to.

6. JeffGMc

JeffGMc Member

Oct 14, 2000
    New York City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    I'm glad I didn't see that, I would have been too nervous to enjoy everything until the 94th minute.

Personally, I think the Nick quote should be everywhere, it's too perfect not to celebrate with.

7. FootieBloke007

FootieBloke007 New Member

Apr 25, 2003
    Chicago
    USOC Final: pbp & post match thread

On a side note, did you guys see that Edgar Davids freestyle soccer vs. freestyle basketball ad during halftime? Very cool.

Go FIRE!!!

8. VortexUnited

VortexUnited New Member

Dec 5, 2000
    Happy Birthday Steve Jolley + Justin Mapp (on Saturday)

From The Chicago Fire!

9. Agogwe

Agogwe Member

Sep 12, 2003
    Ann Arbor, MI
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Classic, simply classic.

10. heybeerman

heybeerman Member

Aug 2, 2001
    Chicago Burbs
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Steve, nice to meet you. Your daughter was very polite and I think she only told me that we were gonna lose once... very cute.

This is the quote of the year:

''I hate that team,'' frustrated MetroStars general manager Nick Sakiewicz said. ''I thought we fixed this problem when we got Bradley.''

Wish I would have heard it in person.

I'd like to say that all the Metros fans I ran into were very cool. Also, everyone that ran the stadium including security was very helpful and polite. Thanks for the hospitality.

After the game, I met at one point or another:

Don Garber
    Bruce Arena
    Max Bretos
    Alan Hopkins (Hope thats right)
    Dave Sarachan
    Lubos Kubik
    Several Fire Players of which Marsch, Curtin, Jacqua & Futigaki were the most firendly.
    Rusty and Tony.

That and a victory and I'd say it was worth it.

Where's my voice? Kudos to Liam and Zach who made it to work while I didn't..now back to sleep.

and oh yeah....

CONGRATS TO THE FIRE!! You guys earned it.

11. lethargytartare

lethargytartare Member+

Oct 2, 2000
    Magrathea, Horsehead Nebula
    Club:
    Yeovil Town FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    happy, happy, joy, joy

okay, sad for the Cubs, but they never should have been there and lost it as only the Cubs could, so everything's right with the world.

I thought the Fire looked a bit tentative, not "disinterested" - I think Dave had them prepared for an attack minded Metros team. And while the metros had most of the possession, and Iw as biting my nails much of the game, it slowly occurred to me... hey, they've got all the ball, but our defense doesn't look worried. Even good chances, like Juskowiak's break, were handled calmly and with aplomb.

It never ceases to amaze how blind some metros fans can be re: them having all the chances - here's some stats: shots: fire 10 metros 8, corner kicks: fire 6 metros 2 - and heres a nice indication of who was getting "real chances" - Razov/Ralph accounted for 7 of those ten shots - and were fouled 9 times while Mathis and Juskowiak only generated one set piece.

Equall fun, though frustrating, for me to watch was the several times fire players held off a Metros player who was holding/pulling/kicking at them, the fire player would just stop, give the ref a WTF? look, then pass off to a teammate. Bad reffing, but amusing to watch such disdainful posession from our boys.

Finally, I'm really irritated with the officials in this league that have decided that it is critical to give yellow cards for utterly harmless fouls like Jesse's early hold in midfield, only to allow dangerous plays like Gaven's takedown of Bocanegra go unpunished. Tactically, Gaven's is the more egregios since it could create a chance for his team, while Jesse's was in a packed midfield, and Gaven's pull down was also harder and less controlled. Wish we would have scored a couple more quick ones so Carlos coulda risked some revenge.

Most of all I'm filled with joy and excitement at how this team, even when they don't look particulary creative or in synch for stretches, manage to gut out victory after victory, and perform so well under pressure. Hearing the announcers talk about how psyched up for the game traitor Bob was, and then watching Mathis and company piss it away was just very sweet icing...

go boston

m

12. Agogwe

Agogwe Member

Sep 12, 2003
    Ann Arbor, MI
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: USOC Final: pbp & post match thread

So what did this ad look like? Was it a lot of dribbling and things of that sort?

2003 USOC Champs, sounds nice!!

13. HalaMadrid

HalaMadrid Member

Apr 9, 1999
    [​IMG]

Slight change of title. :)

14. redzin

redzin New Member

Jan 6, 2000
    I just don't get how this guy could be THAT stupid. How does a GM, a major voice for the team, make a statement like this in front of a REPORTER. Man, it just makes their entire organization look small.

Sure is great to be a Fire fan and have PW running our house.

15. mutinywxgirl

mutinywxgirl Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 6, 1999
    St. Petersburg, FL
    You mean you missed meeting me??? LOL! :D

It was a great game, and congratulations to the Fire. Though I now live in NYC, I just cannot bring myself to root for the Metrostars. I'm a Mutiny fan first, and we always hated them....but I feel bad for Nick - we went through this in Tampa too!

Great win - go for the treble!

16. HalaMadrid

HalaMadrid Member

Apr 9, 1999
    Wait, were you one of the folks at the bar postmatch? There were some faces I couldn't place floating about.

We should get Jerry to teach Section 8 the "Dave's Army" song :)

17. CUS

CUS New Member

Apr 20, 2000
    Did you ask Max if he learned the offside rule yet?

18. HalaMadrid

HalaMadrid Member

Apr 9, 1999
    I held my tongue, personally. For all his inherent mediocricy as an announcer in my opinion (that'll earn me some bullets), he's really a great, charismatic guy in person. And he has reeeeeally nice shoes :)

19. HalaMadrid

HalaMadrid Member

Apr 9, 1999
  20. Stogey23

Stogey23 Member+

Dec 12, 1998
    San Diego, CA
    Great win for the Fire!

For some reason, this was my favorite USOC championship of the three. It might be that is was against our old coach, or the fact that not many people expected us to do much this year.

Now, more than ever, it's good to be a Fire fan!

21. Rock On Chicago

Mad props to everyone at the Map Room. 20 Fire fans louder than anything those people have ever heard I'm sure.

On my way in:
    Doorman "It's gonna be a weird crowd tonight. Soccer freaks and baseball nerds."

Me "Well. We dress better, anyway."

Doorman "That you do."

Today (yesterday) the USOC, tomorrow, the world!

22. HalaMadrid

HalaMadrid Member

Apr 9, 1999
    Re: Rock On Chicago

MDSC Bay-bee!

23. HalaMadrid

HalaMadrid Member

Apr 9, 1999
    [​IMG]

[Quagmire] "Awwww-riiiiiight!" [/Quagmire]

24. CUS

CUS New Member

Apr 20, 2000
    Tagline change, yet?

25. HalaMadrid

HalaMadrid Member

Apr 9, 1999
    Nah, I think most will agree this one will be good for quite some time :)

This is funny (More Sackewicz humor):

http://www.metrofanatic.com/mf/index.jsp