USOC Final: Escape From New York [R]

Discussion in 'Chicago Fire' started by jmeissen0, Oct 15, 2003.

1. GoHawks4

GoHawks4 Member

Apr 24, 2002
    Chicago
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [​IMG]

Beautiful.

2. Fanaddict

Fanaddict Member+

Mar 9, 2000
    streamwood IL USA
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Great assist by whitfield and great one touch blast by ralph. Way to go guys.

Does anyone want this tape?

3. genpabloescobar

Feb 17, 2002
    41,587 at SF for the URU-MEX game tonight, outdrawing the Cubs!

They could've had over 50 tonight.

Good thing about the Cubs losing tonight (besides my being a Sox fan)...the people with tickets will go Saturday, and maybe they'll have additional sales with no Cubs W.S. to go against it.

4. Bethany

Bethany New Member

Sep 3, 2002
    You know I do...:) BTW thanks for the pictures!!!!

5. Fanaddict

Fanaddict Member+

Mar 9, 2000
    streamwood IL USA
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You will get the tape Bethany.

6. Greddy

Greddy Member

Jun 24, 2003
    Chicago
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is going on my "Top five favorite pictures ever" list.

[​IMG]

7. IrishLass22

IrishLass22 New Member

Mar 11, 2003
    LAL & FRO
    I can feel the tears of joy...

That is a beautiful sight.

8. Greddy

Greddy Member

Jun 24, 2003
    Chicago
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  9. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    If I plop down $30 for a premium membership, this is my first signature. Note to Nick: you're not very popular with us, either. Or your own fans, for that matter.

10. counterattack

counterattack New Member

Mar 28, 2002
    I got a question for you Chi types:

It looks like the Fire win last night was okay by the Sun Times, but that other paper plopped in an AP story among the obituaries on the Cubs.

Questions is this: Is the Fire becoming a part of the Sox-BlackHawks-Bulls South Side axis? Are the same Chicago fans who insist that their teams actually win a few games and not just put on a show taking the Fire to heart? As one who goes to Chicago fequently, I am always baffled by this near religious following of a franchise that is not commited to championships. Reading the Tribune and seeing that the one Chicago team that actually won something last night getting a measley AP story burried inside says it all. What do you think?

11. Greddy

Greddy Member

Jun 24, 2003
    Chicago
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, it's important to remember that the Cubs are owned by the tribune company. All they really care about right now are the Cubbies

12. ripmstr

ripmstr New Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Orlando Fl
    Congrats to the Fire and those who made the trip to suuport our team.. Does anybody know if FSW will be showing a replay?

13. Greddy

Greddy Member

Jun 24, 2003
    Chicago
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Foxsportsnet chicago will be showing a replay tonight, after the blackhawks game.

**edit. Sorry, I didn't where you where from.

14. greenbill

greenbill New Member

Apr 30, 2003
    York, PA
    Dare I ask...how was the crowd?

Congrats Fire fans!

15. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Well, I'll answer this as a downstater who moved to Chicago for about a decade. I think jmeissen and I have similar fandom backgrounds here, too, so maybe he can chime in. Anyway, I grew up downstate, and largely because of my dad and older brother, my teams were the Blackhawks, the Bulls (including the Chet Walker/Bob Love/Norm Van Lier teams that were good, but not good enough to get past a Laker dynasty), the Bears, and when the NASL started, the Sting (my younger brother followed me that way, my dad and older bro weren't interested) and, finally, the Cardinals.

That sounds odd to a lot of people, but in downstate Illinois, it's evenly divided between the Cardinals and the Cubs. Now, personally, I used to have a lot of respect for the Cubs and their fans (and I still do for several I know personally who are real fans of baseball), but over the past couple of decades, Wrigley Field has gradually transformed from a baseball mecca to a suburbanite beer garden where fans who don't pay much attention to the game (witness game 6) come and throw a giant frat party. (And all this scapegoating of Mr. Bartman is also a loser thing to do, to: 95% of the fans there would've done the exact same thing, and notice how none of the idiots around him was doing anything that might suggest Alou had a play) Now, I'm sure the number of cell-phone calls was fewer during the NLCS games than usual, but...

anyway, to get back on track, I'm not really sure how much the South Side is represented at Fire games, but there has always been a decent part of Chicago that hasn't liked the Cubs (though Reinsdorf makes it tough to like the Sox), and there have always been a lot of downstaters who cheer for all Chicago teams... and the Cardinals. Don't really know what to make of it.

Since I'm rambling... while it would've been nice to have had this game at NSF in front of 40,000+, it is also nice to not have the rest of the league's fans put an asterisk on our wins. At least now, no one can say "but you've won all your cups at home." The USSF's decision made for a match that didn't look as good on TV, but it also gave our guys the opportunity to become the first MLS team to win on the opponent's field.

16. Jon Martin

Jon Martin Member+

Apr 25, 2000
    SE Mass
    Congrats on the win - but the game should have been at SF as part of a double-header. That field was awful.

17. Autogolazo

Autogolazo BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 19, 2000
    Bombay Beach, CA
    I'm glad you guys won, but man, that was an ugly game for the neutral fan.

Gusting wind and artificial turf--the two worst enemies of soccer on the planet.

It seemed like the ball went out of play 80 or 90 times--like trying to keep a ping-pong ball on a table during a hurricane.

18. HalaMadrid

HalaMadrid Member

Apr 9, 1999
    According to someone who ought to know, 55 if they had the double header. And of course, they'd all be Meixco fans. :rolleyes:

Whatever. it's done now. And I'm dead tired with a long day ahead. Uf.

19. FairWeatherFan

Sep 9, 2002
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Thumbs Up for "Da Cup"

Go Fire!

------------
    sorry, but I was unable to see the game and have no further intelligent insight to give... although that´s never stopped me in the past.

20. krolpolski

krolpolski Member+

While congrats definitely go to our team, props to the Section 8ers who made the trek to the swamps of Jersey. On TV it looked like the stadium was filled 50/50 with Stars and Fire fans. :)

21. Coz: What's up with the cell phone? Getting the Cub update?

22. YanksFC

YanksFC Member

Feb 3, 2000
    Indianapolis
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Priceless. Now my sig!

23. HalaMadrid

HalaMadrid Member

Apr 9, 1999
    Yes and no. as soon as we were on tv all our phones started ringing. Made us look like a Cubs game though :)

Frequesnt updates via my phone and the giants stadium scoreboard.

Oh well.

GO RED SOX!

24. Mad Props to the Barnburners and all the other Fire Supporters that made the trip. You guys could be heard throughout the entire FSW broadcast last night. Great job!!!

See you all Saturday!

25. Mr. Trike

Mr. Trike New Member

Apr 7, 2003
    Chicago
    Way to represent fans!
    Looking good Coz!