USOC: Crew v FCD :: Post-Game [R]

Discussion in 'Columbus Crew' started by fidlerre, Aug 3, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. fidlerre

fidlerre Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 10, 2000
    Central Ohio
    Crew lose 3-1 to Dallas in Extratime.

1-1 at the end of the game.

Then Szetela gets straight red for a rather crappy call.

And Hejduk makes the stupidiest decision of his life: To two-foot tackle a guy without the ball after arguing with the official all night long about what a crappy game he'd been calling -- the frustration obviously got to "the dude" tonight.

Dallas scores one of a horrible clear by Marshall.

Then Sutton gets called for taking down EJ in the box on a breakaway. PK converted.

Game over.

In my opinion they looked like crap. It was constant counter-attack soccer.

Martino looked great, but honestly, that was all I saw out there.

Maybe I am wrong but I didn't think we looked all that great against a 'B' Dallas-side.

2. Zak

Zak Member

Feb 18, 2002
    Massive Club
    Vasquez was dynamite, that's hard to miss. The kid is fearless, takes players on, makes smart passes, always creates space for himself, and was the sole reason why Crew scored the first goal. If he continues on in this manor, he'll be a great, great player for Crew.

3. fidlerre

fidlerre Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 10, 2000
    Central Ohio
    But that's a given these days. I didn't think it needed to be said.

4. Ch(Elsey)

Ch(Elsey) Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    May 2, 2003
    Green, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That pick of his in the midfield off Ruiz to start the Hejduk to Martino goal sounded quite impressive.

Fid didn't want to include the good parts about Vasquez; it would have made his post sound less emo.

5. Zak

Zak Member

Feb 18, 2002
    Massive Club
    It's true if Vasquez doesn't fight for that ball in midfield, from the ground no less, there's no goal in it for Crew tonight.

It's as I say, Cameron as the lone attacking forward just isn't going to work. There's not a single Crew player to collect any of his garbage within ten yards of him. Not only that but Knox didn't win a single ball tonight.

6. DGA57

DGA57 Member

Jun 17, 2002
    Dublin, OH
    I think he's the first player in MLS to stone BOTH Ruiz and Johnson 1v1.

7. fidlerre

fidlerre Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 10, 2000
    Central Ohio
    He just didn't give up ground, he's fearless.

8. DGA57

DGA57 Member

Jun 17, 2002
    Dublin, OH
    He actually won three in 120 minutes. One of them forced the save by Cassar. I wish that one had gone in and he hadn't won any of the other two. He was really bad tonight (probably happens to M*ch*g*n players when they play on sacred grounds). I thought Bobby would have pulled him off and put Glen as the target but for some reason it's going to be cameron even when he has the worst of day - which brings the rest of the team down because of his key role in the attack.

9. kebzach

kebzach Member

Dec 30, 2000
    Greenfield, WI
    So the "Eddie Johnson won't play" talk was a bit off, eh?

10. Placid Casual

Placid Casual Member+

Apr 2, 2004
    Bentley's Roof
    Cornell Glen is a piece of crap.

Vazquez - superb. What i like about him is he is fearless, he will win 40-60 balls.

Elliot and Henderson can leave as well.

11. Ch(Elsey)

Ch(Elsey) Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    May 2, 2003
    Green, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Cue Myshap to defend Simon in 3..2..1...

I've been saying the same damn thing about Elliot and Henderson all season long. Chris literally gets winded after 30 minutes of play. Was he physically weezing tonight?

12. Placid Casual

Placid Casual Member+

Apr 2, 2004
    Bentley's Roof

Didnt exactly exert himself to start weezing.

And while i am on it.

Whoever is taking free kicks, corners whatever. Clear the first bloody defender and if you do that dont stick it down the keepers throat. To be honest this is directed at that waste of space Elliot. Bloody sheep shagger.

13. Nadeaufan17

Nadeaufan17 New Member

Jul 6, 2003
    While the end of the game cheering the players and booing Clark and the refs, we got royaly screwed over. I won't say we played the best game ever, but the ref clearly decided the game.

1st off, I don't know if the side ref needed glasses or what, but he had MULTIPLE bad offsides calls against the Crew. I was standing field level and there were some offside calls where it wasn't even possible that it was even a CLOSE call. Crew goals could have come from these good balls.

The call against Danny was also BS. It wasn't even the hardest foul of the match, it did not warant a straight red. Dallas commited a couple worse fouls that only got yellow. To be fair, I didn't really see Frankie's tackle, so I don't know if that one is valid or not.

The PK was also another horrible call, but the game had pretty much been decided by then. It was pretty much an all ball tackle/clear. I guess you aren't allowed to play good defense in the box with Salazar reffing.

After all of this, I still wasn't mad at Dallas. I didn't think they did anything malicious, just got lucky ass calls from Salazar....until....Fvcking Colin Clark. What the hell were you doing you piece of horsesh!t? You would think he would've seen some of the bad calls and been sympathetic to it, but he was egging the crowd on being an ass about it. I lost all respect for the man tonight. Its a shame that I'm moving out of state in 2 weeks and won't be here for the Aug 20th game against FC Dallas, I would love to give him a nice welcome back to Columbus you douche.

14. Flyer Fan

Flyer Fan Member+

Apr 18, 1999
    Columbus, OH
    To be fair, he also got a number of offside calls correct that don't look to be offside, namely those "over-and-back" types of offside.

15. Ch(Elsey)

Ch(Elsey) Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    May 2, 2003
    Green, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I've got your back. I'm bringing some banners. I hope his plane goes down in flames, bastard.*
    No class Clark.

*Disclaimer: Truthfully, I don't.

16. Flyer Fan

Flyer Fan Member+

Apr 18, 1999
    Columbus, OH
    Elliott is consistently good for two things:

(1) Committing a turnover and then gesturing towards and blaming his teammate for his pass fifteen yards out-of-play, and

(2) Failing to clear the first defender on a corner kick.

17. DGA57

DGA57 Member

Jun 17, 2002
    Dublin, OH
    Cameron - easily worst game in a Crew uniform. Almost turned it around by winning one rare header forcing a huge save from Cassar.

Glen - continues to win balls and play good defense. He just doesn't do anything after winning the ball and beating his man into the box.

KMart - all KMart revisions have been recalled and the Beta model is back on the pitch. Great finish, superb on both sides of the field, ran for 120 minutes out there.

Hendo - he does all the right things but doesn't have the numbers since joining the Crew. He provides balance to the attack and knows how to cross the ball.

Hejduk - completely messed up the team chemistry tonight. Played too far in the middle at times, way too slow in the transition (his step over dribble is known across the league so try something different like a quick pass). The only great thing was his heel pass for the assist on the goal. But that will never compensate for costing the match. 10v11 is manageable, 9v11 is putting a gun to your head and playing Russian roulette.

Vasquez - what can I say that hasn't been said here? Vision, determination, heart, knowledge of the game, touch, grit and, yes, even some defense. Three way tie between him, KMart and Walker for MOTM.

Elliott - plays well with Vasquez but, please, oh please, let someone else take a free kick. The difference between Elliott's free kicks and the ones that ANYONE from Dallas took all night were night and day. He only had one decent one that Marshall managed to squeeze around the post.

Fraser - good defense, HORRIBLE passing all night long. Maybe the crappy Dallas uniforms cause him vision problems.

Marshall - solid all night, made two mistakes and gets penalized for both. On the first goal he needs to clear for a throw-in instead of making a blind pass upfield. He then gets the unfortunate clearance on tired legs that falls for Thompson for the game winner. Left it all out there.

Wingert - this kid in the middle is the real deal. The scoreline doesn't reflect how good the defense played. Dallas had a couple of good chances on turnovers AND free kicks - that was it.

Walker - two superb saves that kept us in the match. Nothing to do on the last two goals, couldn't see the first one. And the Mutts let him go for MEOLA???? Umm, thanks?

Loco - brought energy and combined superbly with KMart on the left wing.

Szetela - almost scored, then made a dumb play and further compounded it giving Salazar an excuse to show the red.

Sutton - Cameron's bad touches kept him from being dangerous. A couple of missed touches. A great recovery and I thought he made a great tackle on the call that went against him.

Salazar - red card against Szetela may have been undeserved specifically with what Dallas was getting away with. He came in from the side for a 50-50 ball at midfield, got there late, then raised the leg and got the man on the knee. Most of the time a yellow is issued; Salazar decided to be an @ss and went for red. No problem with the red on Hejduk. Rhine got away with grabbing Glen early in the game breaking up a 3v3. Salazar played advantage and didn't come back to the card. He then also ignored the card while Vasquez was grabbed and pulled back while trying to break through for a counter. Missed Rhine kicking Loco TWICE in the second OT. Glen got knocked down on a give and go without the foul being called; and again a possible yellow could have been issued (he did issue yellow on Talley for the same play two minutes later). The second goal came after Vasquez lost the ball when being grabbed from behind by a Dallas player while he was shielding the ball. And the PK was (from my angle) a horrible call.

Warzycha - Sutton for Cameron with Glen moving up top would have been a good sub with the way Cameron was struggling. And if I was critical of Nie about subs I'll do the same with Bobby. There are 4 subs to be used. You're playing 120 minutes; the last 9v11. At least bring fresh legs in for those 15. Testo in midfield to help chase the ball; or Woly on top. Bad move there.

The fans - incredible display of support. The supporters (V-Army, North End) came to the middle of the section and started some clapping chants that had most people involved (if you hate the ref, if you love Columbus Crew, etc). We then clapped the last 2-3 minutes and as each player left the field. They deserved it tonight.

18. Nadeaufan17

Nadeaufan17 New Member

Jul 6, 2003
    I've gotta agree with your assesment of Martino. He played a very solid match, but on a lot of his runs he didn't have anyone to give the ball of to for the finish.

19. Kryptonite

Kryptonite Fancy Title Here

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    First of all, I was proud to see V-Army getting people involved in the chants.

Other than that, it wasn't a good night. Colin Clarke is an a-hole, the referres were total shite all night. How in the hell do you give two red cards in three minutes, then a few minutes later, a FC Dallas guy is grabbing on a Crew jersey and then they get the free kick?? Seriously, WTF is up with that?

Tune of "Good Ship Lollypop"
    It's a good thing...Chelsey's not here
    It's a good thing...Chelsey's not here
    (repeated)

Because if that was the case, things might have been a lot nastier. And i'm not the only one saying that.

Oh, and I really hate jerkwads who come up to me after the game, and don't have the balls to tell the entire group what they think, but have no problem letting one guy hear it. Here's what was said.

Guy - "What group are you with?"
    Me - "V-Army"

Then he proceeds to tell us how the swearing was totally out of place, how kids were there. The thing was, we did nothing unusual, nothing different outside of a normal Crew game, when we stand in section 137.

I told him a bit about how I can't be held responsible for the actions of a group. He thought I was an officer of V-Army or something and should be responsible.

He then said something, and how his son is a cop. I asked something along the lines of "What's his jurisdiction?" just because I was casually wondering. He said something like "In Ohio, his exact jurisdiction doesn't matter." And how his son would have handcuffed person X, and dragged him out of the stadium. I figured this was horsecrap, as:

1) Guy's son would have to be in uniform
    2) Guy's son would have to have jurisdiction

The guy told me something about how jurisdiction didn't matter. I totally find fault with that statement. If a member of Columbus Police, and on a leisure trip in Cleveland (or wherever), can I make an arrest? I'd probably end up having to make a complaint to the local police or venue (bar, etc.) security.

Bottom line, does Guatemala have an Olympics swim and dive team? Because I know a certain person who would surely be responsible for Guatemala's dynasty.

20. Ch(Elsey)

Ch(Elsey) Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    May 2, 2003
    Green, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What is up with Refs and d!cking Crew over in Open Cup matches?

Honestly?

I still have a horribly sour taste in my mouth from the '03 outing versus Metros. I felt utterly dead after that one, but full of rage. And, yes, Peter, I think all hell may have been let loose, had I been there and saw Clark flicking off the fans. He's getting so much ******* **** on the 20th. That scumbag.

Hell, I'm half tempted to go over to the Dallas boards and start a thread about how much their coach sucks ****. But, uh, as BA found out, that warrants a yellow card on this here message board.

21. crewzer1308

crewzer1308 New Member

May 11, 2004
    Ohio
    nothing was worse than to hear Eddie Johnson say to some people that "you make me rich". plus the fact that Colin Clarke was clapping along to the "if you hate the refs" chants! :mad: :mad:

22. Kryptonite

Kryptonite Fancy Title Here

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Wait about two or three weeks, then ask BlockO Mike about Ed Johnson. He'll probably still be pissed off about it until then.

23. Nadeaufan17

Nadeaufan17 New Member

Jul 6, 2003
    They both were being very unprofessional about the whole thing. That is what pissed me off the most. If they had both just left the field like professionals I would have no problem with FC Dallas, but after what both of them did I hope they get crushed in every game from now on.

24. HuntKop

HuntKop Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 15, 2002
    Sulla mia Vespa
    Club:
    ACF Fiorentina
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Personally, I hate every MLS side except ours, and every MLS player except the ones wearing our badge.

That being said, if there was a "Power Ranking" for a**hole clubs, Dallas would have jumped at least 5 spots after tonight.

25. Ch(Elsey)

Ch(Elsey) Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    May 2, 2003
    Green, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Aye, they used to people on top of the club's I hate the least(sounds odd, but such a list existed)...

I believe they've joined the ranks of Scum and F!re..

And Colin Clark may have just leap-frogged Bradley into the number one most hated MLS coach spot.