USOC:: Charleston v. Chivas USA 6-30 (R)

Discussion in 'Charleston Battery' started by Mikey mouse, Jun 27, 2009.

1. Mikey mouse

Mikey mouse Member

Jul 27, 1999
    Charleston, SC
    Club:
    Charleston
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    since we dont play a games this weekend, figure I'd start this thread.

chivas is one of the Top MLS teams this season. they have gone a bit flat over the last couple weeks but they have been hit with fixture congestion, international call ups and injuries

Borstien and Sacha are with the US and the final against Brazil on Sunday.

this is injury list seems pretty significant too
    OUT: DF Bobby Burling (sports hernia surgery); GK Dan Kennedy (R knee surgery); FW Ante Razov (R ankle surgery); DF Lawson Vaughn (L ankle surgery); QUESTIONABLE: FW Justin Braun (concussion); MF Cesar Zamora (left hamstring strain)

And Jazic, Harmse, and Thomas were all called up for Gold Cup duty with their national teams.

Chivas play San Luis in the Superliga tonight and have played two other games last week. a couple other players took some knocks from what I have read in there forums

http://web.mlsnet.com/news/mls_news.jsp?ymd=20090626&content_id=5547458&vkey=news_mls&fext=.jsp
    This article is about Chivas' Brazil born Nagamora rooting for Brazil tomorrow against his team mates.

But it also mentions they will be arriving in Charleston tomorrow.

On the Battery side. Stephen and Yoshi both said they are ready to go after the game on Thursday. Weather the Doc and Auggie think so is another matter. Fuller looks like he might be another week or two.

The players are confident too. They know they have a good team and if they play their best, they have a good chance they beat just about anyone.

This should be a good match and hopefully will be our first MLS team scalp of the season!

2. Mikey mouse

Mikey mouse Member

Jul 27, 1999
    Charleston, SC
    Club:
    Charleston
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  3. Theonefish

Theonefish Member

Jul 28, 2008
    Greenville SC
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Third round is very interesting with 2 USL-2 and a PDL side in, as well as Portland-Seattle in Portland. I'll definitely be tuning in to that one.

I think we take this one 1-0. Up the Battery!

4. JBG - Bribe Taker

Mar 17, 2000
    Mt. Pleasant, SC
    Club:
    Charleston
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Chivas has never beaten a USL side in the Cup, they'll leave Chucktown with their streak intact :p

3-1 Batts over Goats.

5. Mikey mouse

Mikey mouse Member

Jul 27, 1999
    Charleston, SC
    Club:
    Charleston
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Couple more articles to get you through the day until match time.

one on Bobo from the Post and Courier
    http://www.postandcourier.com/news/2009/jun/30/veteran_bobo_has_battery_defensive_zone87638/

a chivas preview
    http://web.mlsnet.com/news/mls_news.jsp?ymd=20090629&content_id=5601994&vkey=news_mls&fext=.jsp

an MLS pre match
    http://web.mlsnet.com/news/mls_news.jsp?ymd=20090629&content_id=5599700&vkey=news_mls&fext=.jsp

and my favorite of the day at one of the betting sites
    http://betting.betfair.com/football...rs-bet-of-the-day-tuesday-june-30-290609.html

For those that cant make it out, www.usllive.com will be showing the match live at 7:30 EST.

6. fatbastard

fatbastard Member+

Aug 1, 2003
    Lincoln (ish), Va
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Good luck tonight, guys!

7. jamtime

jamtime Member

Jan 14, 2007
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Good win, but wow was that a terrible call. If it's not in the box, then it's a red card to the keeper. If it's in the box, its a penalty kick. You can't just let a keeper get away with coming out of his box and taking out a player, without any discipline at all. It's astoundingly bad refereeing. Of course, this is great for me, because it means I might have a chance to see the Dynamo again.

8. La Barra Blonde

Oct 21, 2007
    Section 135
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Congrats guys!! Maybe this year will be a double Coffee Pot Cup!!!

9. VAComet85

VAComet85 Member

Dec 23, 2007
    Tampa Bay, FL
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As a neutral I gotta say that was a fun game to watch, Charleston really has some dangerous lads in that counter attack. On the contraversial call I gotta agree with you about the lack of a card. However, some blame needs to be laid with the Chivas players for going absolutely mental. All that madness and confusion led to the referee essentially forgetting to card the Charleston keeper, as it looked he was going to before the verbal barrage took place.

Either way that volley at the end of the match was top-drawer stuff. FSC better put that in the Goals of the Week so I can see it on a propert TV. Well done Charleston, Good luck on the cup run!

10. Brook

Brook BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 13, 2001
    Cleveland
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Congrats, battery!!!

11. Mikey mouse

Mikey mouse Member

Jul 27, 1999
    Charleston, SC
    Club:
    Charleston
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    great match. Battery played with alot of heart tonight.

cant wait to watch it again on USLlive.

right now Im pretty horse and feeling pretty good.

Up the Battery!

12. MRAD12

MRAD12 Member+

Jun 10, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Well done guys. Chicago Fire also lost to Wilmington. This baffles me about the MLS teams. I know that both Chivas USA and Fire are also playing in the Superliga with only a couple days rest before today. It seems that they are taking the Superliga more seriously then the USOC where even the Mexican teams aren't taking it too seriously since Tigres sent their U-21 team to play in the Superliga.

Mikey and the boys, good luck. Hope you guys win it.

13. RevHammerBat

RevHammerBat Member+

Jul 1, 2008
    London
    Club:
    Charleston
    What a match, what a match. Atmosphere was great, love the fighting in the end, questionable was the foul inside or outside the box (worked in our favor for once), and Yoshi's nail in the coffin at the end...cant wait to see the highlight of that one!

Up the Battery!!!

Bring on Texas....lol

14. Theonefish

Theonefish Member

Jul 28, 2008
    Greenville SC
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Great win. Got a little worried when Chivas got their goal and seemed to control the game a bit in the first half, but Patterson silenced that.

I'm hearing that Preki punched a cop outside the stadium- that true?

15. Rick O'Shea

Rick O'Shea Member

Aug 19, 2008
    I think you mean hoarse, unless you have four legs :D

16. La Barra Blonde

Oct 21, 2007
    Section 135
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Neigh Mikey!! :D

17. Mikey mouse

Mikey mouse Member

Jul 27, 1999
    Charleston, SC
    Club:
    Charleston
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    not exactly, at teh end of the match Preki came out onto the field and was going after the ref when a couple cops ran over to separate the two. When he came over the cop look to grab him from behind and when he did Preki kind of threw his arm out at him as to push him away. He did connect with the cop but I dont think he knew it was a cop.

as to my poor grammar and spelling, what can I say, the beer is cheap at the stadium!

here is an article from the local paper
    http://www.postandcourier.com/news/2009/jul/01/pattersons_goals_power_battery_into_quar87775/

18. Chesco United

Chesco United Member+

DC United
    Jun 24, 2001
    Chester County, PA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Congratulations on the win! Are there highlights of this one anywhere?

19. jamtime

jamtime Member

Jan 14, 2007
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They got the placement right, but apparently this ref hasn't read the rules in awhile. When a keeper denies a goal scoring opportunity by fouling a player (which the ref recognized since he called the foul), the ref is obligated to send off the keeper. Sometimes refs will be lenient if it's inside the box, because the other team gets a pk, and will only give a yellow card. There is absolutely NO leeway in situations where the keeper fouls the player outside of his box. There is no way to justify that not being an automatic red card. Even the most casual of soccer fans knows the "last man" rule, which leads me to believe the ref simply didn't have the courage to make such a game changing call. I think this is what frustrated the Chivas players, and Preki, more than anything.

Bad call aside, The Battery were impressive. They stood toe to toe with one of the best clubs in MLS. Now I know that alot of MLS teams don't take this tournament serioulsy, but Chivas was not one of those teams. Preki fielded his best possible squad. The only real absences were Bornstein and Kljestan, but that's no where near excuseworthy, since they play without those two quite a bit (international duty) and still manage to rack up the wins in MLS. Another thing that makes this win all the more impressive is that Chivas didn't underestimate you guys at all. They showed alot of respect for the Battery in their pregame and postgame comments. They weren't looking ahead to other matches, becuase they don't have any till July 11th.

As an ardent MLS fan I can say with quite certainty that none of the usual excuses hold up. Even if the deserved red card was handed out, the Battery would still be in the drivers seat for a win. Would have just been a matter of bunkering for the remainder of the game. The Battery seem to be a very good counterattacking team, so I doubt that would have been that much of a problem for them.

20. JBG - Bribe Taker

Mar 17, 2000
    Mt. Pleasant, SC
    Club:
    Charleston
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Great match and yes, I am a prophet, I predicted the scoreline.

There seems to be a bit of discussion about Dusty's contact, the placement of the ball, the cards, etc. Here's my take....I haven't reviewed any tape or usllive.com replay, just my memory from watching it live last night, which was admittedly malt and barley hydrated.

My first reaction was it was inside the PA. Having said that, Dusty didn't use his hands, he came in with a crushing slide tackle. Now, there will be disagreement on the severity on the contact. Here is the exact wording from the LOTG:

There are 2 bullets on obvious goal scoring opportunities. This first one doesn't apply since no hands were used. The 2nd one might apply depending on the official's opinion of obvious goal scoring opportunity. It was a goal scoring opportunity for sure but to deem it "obvious", well, for me, he wasn't going to just walk into the goal. Just because there's a 1 v 1 situation, that doesn't make it an OGSO (at least IMO). When I've seen this called, typically, a striker is going to goal and a defender pulls him down from behind with this hands, whacks him awkwardly from behind or something like that. In this case, the GK is approaching the striker head on and makes a soccer move, a slide tackle. No hands, no jersey pulling, nothing from behind. There are no special rules for goalkeepers outside the PA...they're just like any other player. Same rules. Now, could the arguement be made that the tackle was serious or violent and deserved a red? yes. Might the contact have been inside the PA? Yes, (as I said, I haven't watched a reply, it should be fairly clear where it occurred). But at the end of the day, I do believe we dodged a bullet of some kind.

21. RevHammerBat

RevHammerBat Member+

Jul 1, 2008
    London
    Club:
    Charleston
    Personally, looking back on it i think the yellow card was a makeup call for when in the first half we had a breakaway and a Chivas player pulled our player down and didnt even get a yellow...so much for the last defender rule.

The ref last night made weird calls all night long. What was a foul in the 10th min wasnt for the next 30 and then was the whole second half.

22. jamtime

jamtime Member

Jan 14, 2007
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The ref deemed the slide tackle to be a foul. The severity of the foul does not matter, because the keeper commited the foul as the last man.

The whole purpose of FIFA eliminating the "last man" wording, was so the rule could be applied to MORE situations, situations where goals are clearly denied by players who aren't the last man. OGSO is meant to expand upon the last man principle, so the fact that you are using it to defend a last man foul is pretty perposterious. It was an obvious goal scoring opurtunity
    becuase had he not made the tackle, the Chivas player would have had a shot on goal. This is something that is universally called all around the world.

23. RevHammerBat

RevHammerBat Member+

Jul 1, 2008
    London
    Club:
    Charleston

BTW...being at the game...everyone in E-8 - E-10 saw Dusty get some part of the ball. I think the yellow was just...but thats just my opinion...although the spot of where it happened is in question. The linesman shocked us all for helping us because he blew several calls in the game and if he blew that one hey we werent going to argue any different.

And one Chivas player got away with pushing the ref and not getting booked at all...and we all know you cant put your hands on a ref. So with that being said the ref had no idea what he was doing at all last night.

24. jamtime

jamtime Member

Jan 14, 2007
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If the ref wanted to do that, he shouldn't have called a foul on the play. He could have said that the goalkeeper made a fair challenge on teh ball. By acknowledging the foul occured, he put himself in a situation where a red card was warranted.

25. jamtime

jamtime Member

Jan 14, 2007
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How can you claim he got ball, and claim it's a yellow? If what your saying is true, then it's not even a foul.

My argument is simply, If you're going to call a foul, man up and enforce that call by the book, whatever the implications might be.

I agree with you that several Chivas players walked a fine line when it came to contact with that ref. Perhaps a red should have been given for that, but then again, the ref opened that can of worms by not explaining the reasoning (if he had any) behind the call.