USMNT vs. El Salvador @Rio Tinto

Discussion in 'Salt Lake Supporters Clubs' started by RoleModel83, Jun 8, 2009.

1. RoleModel83

RoleModel83 Member

Jul 27, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Is anything being planned for supporters for this game? I have a group that is strongly considering making the trip west for this one, but I haven't seen anything posted here or on the U.S. Men's Fans & Travel board with regard to Friday night party, game day plans (tailgate), US fan hotel, etc. I know Salt Lake turned out well for the WCQ vs. Costa Rica back in '05, but I'm getting a little anxious so figured I'd pose the question.

Apologies if this is well under wraps, just waiting to be revealed in grand fashion.

2. mr prolific

mr prolific Member

Jan 30, 2008
    SLC
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Tailgate will be in the canyon lot at the stadium. Pm me with any specific questions about accomodations.

3. FCBeast

FCBeast Member

Jun 16, 2008
    Kearnshaw
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I know there are a few American Outlaws here in SLC, but I haven't heard any specific plans for this game yet.

4. RoleModel83

RoleModel83 Member

Jul 27, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't assume there'll be much of an issue with this since the game is in an MLS stadium, but hopefully someone organizing things out in SLC can get drums/banners pre-approved with stadium security. If you check out some of the Honduras game threads over on the US Men's Fans & Travel board, you'll hear about the hellish time many U.S. supporters had trying to get these items into Soldier Field last weekend. IMO, it really hurt the quality of the section(s) being w/o a steady drum beat to keep things in unison.

5. Mauly

Mauly Member

Sep 19, 2007
    Section 10
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    we've never had problems with drums, Banners will depend on what they say I guess?

6. rslfanboy

rslfanboy Member+

Jul 24, 2007
    Section 26
    If you want to clear security things ahead of time, you want to contact Trino with the RSLFO. The main number is 801-924-8585. They might transfer you.

The RSLFO just released a fan code of conduct. It is basic stuff that asks us not to be superfluously/incessantly vulgar, not to run on the field, and no smoke bombs or other objects thrown on the field. Streamers are cool as long as they don't affect play. We haven't had any issues with flag dimensions, drums, FOG MACHINES, confetti, etc... We'd love to have tons of you here!

7. DadOf6

DadOf6 Member

Jul 4, 2005
    Taylorsville, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Megaphones are ok, bullhorns are not.
    Those long, plastic horns are banned.
    Streamers are ok if done in celebration. You risk ejection if you throw a streamer at a player or throw it to disrupt play (at opposing corner kicks is one example).

8. mr prolific

mr prolific Member

Jan 30, 2008
    SLC
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    and remember, the only place you can get a guinness is at the south end concessions.

9. RSLer

RSLer Member+

Sep 24, 2008
    Stansbury Park, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Especially, this needs to apply to those god awful monstrosities played in the South Africa tournament games.

10. gswitatrophy

gswitatrophy Member

Jan 16, 2003
    Tillamook, Oregon
    I'm making the drive from LA. Will there be a supporters bar? Is all the beer in UTAH low alc volume as I have heard? Is downtown SLC the place to stay and if so...where about in down town?

11. RSLSteve

RSLSteve Member

Jul 21, 2007
    Salt Lake City
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Our alcohol levels are lower than the norm. Utah requires all beer sold in grocery stores and taverns be 3.2% or less. There are several hotels/motels within walking distance of the stadium, but I'm unsure if they have vacancy left. Downtown SLC is about a 15 minute drive down I-15 and the stadium is right off the freeway.

12. mr prolific

mr prolific Member

Jan 30, 2008
    SLC
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Actually, the beer sold at the liquor store is exactly the same as it is anywhere in the world. Also, the beer sold in stores is measured differently than they do everywhere else. One is by weight, one is by volume. Two completely different systems of measurement. The myth that utah beer isn't as strong is just that, a myth. The difference is so miniscule it would be like one tiny drop of whiskey in your beer difference. You wont notice.

13. RSLEast

RSLEast Member

Jan 26, 2008
    East?
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Well played Prolific...
    just to add to what you said, the grocery store limit on alcohol is 3.2 percent by mass (weight). This is pretty close to 4.0 percent by volume (ABV).

so it's 4 instead of 5 for an averageish beer (not 3.2 instead of 5) so just think of it as a 5 pack conveniently packaged in 6 bottles

14. 3.2's

3.2's Member

Oct 22, 2007
    SL,UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    the key words are 'grocery store limit'. if you drink good beer and you buy your beer at the grocery, youre a dope. go to the liquor store where you can get beer from outside of utah that is 5-6%

15. gswitatrophy

gswitatrophy Member

Jan 16, 2003
    Tillamook, Oregon
    So, the beer will still be beer is all that matters (Stone is available in Utah?)! My main concern is if I will be able to get from downtown SLC to Rio Tinto via Trax on gameday/night? Is there any possibility of a supporters bar happening? I am looking at staying at the Sheraton downtown which is is at 150w. 500s. will my GF and I be in no mans land at the south side of downtown? Thanks guys.

16. Mauly

Mauly Member

Sep 19, 2007
    Section 10
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    Great spot to stay, really anywhere downtown is good, you are walking distance to bars, and you will be okay taking the trax on gameday, supporters tailgate is a for sure thing, maybe someone will plan a supporters bar earlier in the day? good luck!

17. RegularGuy

RegularGuy Member

Jun 17, 2009
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just got plane tickets and made a reservation for the Homewood Suites downtown. If anyone has any comments about the hotel, they would be much appreciated, since I can cancel the reservation. It looks to be in a good spot -- near a big outdoor mall and restaurants, but also convenient to Trax to get to the game. It is well reviewed on tripadvisor.

Any word on when tickets will be made available for the game? I'm surprised there hasn't been much news on that front since the game was announced.

(Incidentally, on the Utah liquor laws, we go to Park City fairly often and it's barely noticeable. Unless you're a big hard liquor drinker and insist on pours of more than one 1 oz. shot per drink, it's just not an issue, and even then there are work arounds. I certainly can't tell the difference between a 3.2 beer and something else.)

18. gswitatrophy

gswitatrophy Member

Jan 16, 2003
    Tillamook, Oregon
    Only other advice is to name your own price on priceline. I got the Little America which reviewed well on trip Advisor for 55 a night. It said for 64 a night I could have gotten a 4 star, but oh well.

19. rabble-rabble

rabble-rabble Member

Jul 26, 2004
    West Jordan, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They certainly are taking their time deciding what is going on aren't they?

I went to the ticket office last week to get a ticket to take a friend to the Toronto game and asked at that time. They implied it might be late July until anything is announced. Really no word at all yet about whether season ticket holders will be able to obtain extra seats or not. But one should definitely check often so you aren't caught off guard.

20. RegularGuy

RegularGuy Member

Jun 17, 2009
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I read something that said that season ticket holders would indeed get a shot at tickets first, but I can't remember where I read it. I think maybe it was the press release when the game was first announced, which I read on the U.S. soccer web site.

21. RSLer

RSLer Member+

Sep 24, 2008
    Stansbury Park, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I talked to the ticket office today about this subject. They are sticking to their line that they hope to be able to give us information by late July. They are planning on season ticket holders being able to get their seats. I did not ask if we could purchase extras.

22. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I wonder how many tickets they are selling for the "seats" in the south section?

23. Blitzz Boy

Blitzz Boy Member

Apr 4, 2002
    The West Side
    The Big Lots in Kearns had US flag sets for $5.

24. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Did you buy us some then?

25. RoleModel83

RoleModel83 Member