USMNT Viewing?

Discussion in 'Lot 8' started by eltico, Feb 4, 2005.

1. eltico

eltico Member

Jul 16, 2000
    Are there any plans to watch the US v Trinidad qualifier? The match is live on ESPN2 at 2:30...seeing as how many of us may not be able to escape The Man, do we know if any place will be showing it tape-delayed post-work? A quick look at Summers' schedule indicates that they will not. I am not savvy enough to know about other places, but I'd love to watch it with fellow fans, rather than pop the tape in after work and wake up the neighbors' two-year-old kid with my yelling at the TV.

Can I even post this here?

2. Pints

Pints Member

Apr 21, 2004
    Charm City
    FYP
    Now you can. :D

I will have to settle for matchtracker......

3. JoeSoccerFan

JoeSoccerFan Member+

Aug 11, 2000
    This thread probably should be moved to the main DC thread, because we all want to watch as Lecko breaks out on the national scene.

That being said - I think many are going to have a hard time going far from work (if at all to see this game). I have arranged my schedule to be "working from home" that day (as well as the rest of the WCQ :cool: ).

I'd like to go to the bar with the best atmosphere and the most fans. If I wanted to watch it alone, I could stay at home and yell at the TV by myself. :eek:

The other important thing is that I want to watch more than just the US game, I'd love to see the Netherlands vs. England or Germany vs. Argentina friendlies, or other WCQ in Asia (Uzbekistan-Saudi Arabia, Japan-N. Korea, S. Korea-Kuwait - though I can't really figure out what time they would be on probably in the morning) or Europe (Denmark-Greece, Spain-San Marino) but most importantly, Concacaf (CR-Mex, Guat-Pan) in the evening.

Here is the BS FAQ on DC soccer bars

Summers
    Summers earlier this week was charging for eng-neth game even though it's free on FSW. This has changed this afternoon. Summers will probably put us on the non-smoking section for the free games. I wouldn't be interested in paying $20 for Albania-Ukraine! Not sure if I want to go to Summers.

Here is their schedule of games.
    UEFA WC2006 Qualifying
    Albania-Ukraine 1:30pm $20
    Greece-Denmark 2:30pm $20 replay 7pm
    Ireland-Portugal (not a WCQ) 2:30pm $20 replay 9pm
    Spain-San Marino 3:45 $20

International Friendly
    England-Netherlands 2:30pm replay 6:30
    Germany-Argentina 2:30pm replay 8:30

CONCACAF WC2006 Qualifying
    TNT-US 2:30pm
    CR-Mexico 8:30pm

Slainte (in Baltimore)
    Closest for me - Aiden hasn't sent out the email of schedule. But I don't think it would be a problem to watch here, but I don't think that we'll have much atmosphere - Same for James Joyce. DSX on Pratt (pre-Draft watering hole) will definitely have the US game and I would expect they'll have many more, but they aren't really on the radar screen. Though the convention center across the street has very comfortable seats for sleeping :eek: (or so I've heard) !

Not really considering

Lucky Bar
    The atmosphere may be best - near the busy dupont area, close to center of DC. Only problem is the gap between the CR-Mex game, I'm thinking about going to a local restaurant and having dinner (many to choose from).

Schedule ($10 min on all games)
    2:30 PM England v. Netherlands
    2:30 PM Trinidad v. United States
    3:00 PM Italy v. Russia
    3:40 PM Spain v. San Marino
    8:30 PM Costa Rica v. Mexico

Flanigans
    I'm not a fan of Flanigan's for watching soccer - even though it's probably closer for me if I went in to work - fuhgettaboutit!

Also, how much is the cover? Given that the Ireland and England games are being shown at the same time, are we going to be relegated to the "kids black-and-white aluminum covered rabbit eared antenna 13" philco"? I'm not really interested in going here.

Schedule
    Albania vs Ukraine** Live 1:45 pm WCQ
    Greece vs. Denmark** Live 2:30 pm WCQ
    USA vs. Trinidad Live 2:30 pm WCQ
    Ireland vs. Portugal** Live 2:30 pm Friendly
    England vs. Holland Live 2:30 pm Friendly
    *** Cover Charge(?)

There is another pub in Bethesda that we watched the U20 US-games that is a couple blocks away, but the name escapes me (Lanky/K you were there).

What are you planning on doing? I think that I'm going to go to the Lucky Bar, but I could be convinced if someone has a better idea that many are interested in.....