USMNT Transfer Watch - Movers and Shakers

Discussion in 'USA Men' started by Eleven Bravo, Jan 11, 2021.

1. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Supposedly, yes. Celtic are trying to get the deal wrapped up before English clubs get their acts together. Trying to be really proactive. Supposedly multiple clubs are interested, including two of the promoted sides. Bournemouth in particular, where CCV had a good loan spell.

"Agreeing personal terms" can mean nothing. Bryan Reynolds agreed personal terms with Juventus. Didn't matter.

2. gomichigan24

gomichigan24 Member+

Jul 15, 2002
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Good on Busio for having such a clause.

3. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas

Pl@ymaker repped this.
  4. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Pl@ymaker repped this.
  5. thedukeofsoccer

thedukeofsoccer Member+

Jul 11, 2004
    Wussconsin
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He shouldn't exercise it. He helped get the club relegated. Now, the honorable thing to be to help them return.

His style will also be better served at the top of a table, like presumably he'll be in Serie B. If they get promoted, he could be bottom table again, but they could always work out a sale at that point. This was always an odd pairing.

6. felloveranddidanadu

Plymouth Argyle FC
    Dec 12, 2009
    Club:
    San Jose Frogs
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Lol, Serge stories are crazy. The list of his possible spots next season: stay at Barca, Bayern, Juve, Man U, Leeds

One of those is not like the other! Even a very very beleaguered Man U *still* finished in Europa spots and will look to rebound next year.

Anecdote time: switched my phone to Spanish and the usual articles in my FotMob changed dramatically. I follow some English teams and Yanks Abroad teams in the app, but once I switched all those articles, which don't have Spanish translations, were subsumed by Barca and Real ones. There's a whole cottage industry just on Haaland, multiple articles by multiple outlets daily just talking nonsense.

And people eat it up! It's no surprise Dest is getting some of the same treatment.

jnielsen repped this.
  7. gomichigan24

gomichigan24 Member+

Jul 15, 2002
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Busio should go to whatever the best situation is for him personally. As opposed to staying with the club out of some sense of honor. That situation may or may not be Venezia, but it's definitely not clear cut.

comoesa and IndividualEleven repped this.
  8. nobody

nobody Member+

Jun 20, 2000
    I'd be fine with Dest at Leeds, American coach and likely teammate, will be a locked in starter, very good league, etc.... But, after playing at Ajax and Barca and being a target of Bayern and other more accomplished teams, I think he would be extremely disappointed to end up at Leeds and this would likely be seen as a career taking a downward turn. And I don't think his past season has been poor enough to warrant this, even if Xavi prefers someone else.

dspence2311 repped this.
  9. iad_22201

iad_22201 Member+

Jan 2, 2009
    Washington, DC
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Eh, I'd be very surprised if he doesn't end up at Celtic. He's not ready for the PL and it's painfully obvious where these silly "rumors" of supposed English interest are coming from.

CU soccer repped this.
  10. LouisZ

LouisZ Member+

Oct 14, 2010
    Southern California-USA
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I would be very surprised if Dest agrees to this.

11. a_new_fan

a_new_fan Member+

Jul 6, 2006
    I am worried about the expectations that will be put on him compared to what he is ready for.

at this point they barely stayed up and think he is the guy who is going to push them out of that zone next year???

usnroach repped this.
  12. butters59

butters59 Member+

Feb 22, 2013
    That's not a thing.

Magikfute repped this.
  13. thedukeofsoccer

thedukeofsoccer Member+

Jul 11, 2004
    Wussconsin
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #888 thedukeofsoccer, May 26, 2022
    Last edited: May 26, 2022
    Of course it is. You, to some degree, owe it to fans, and the club who showed faith in you, to right a wrong. Not to jet as soon as you can, from wreckage you helped create. It's akin to leaving the scene after a car crash you were partially responsible for, just because you're the one who could drive away. Release clauses are not for situations like this. They are for players who the team lost in spite of.

Karma's not a thing. But fittingly, if he left to some other situation, he'll probably do the same thing while gaining a rep, unless his landing spot is super carefully selected, since he's a specialty player.

Pirlo wouldn't have worked most places & Busio's a lesser version of that. He hasn't even worked on the USMNT. A top Serie B side is a good place for him to succeed ATM. Not a mid or lower table top 5 club that's going to require him to play defense. Busio's not getting a sub role on a big club ATM, which is probably his ceiling.

14. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Might as well mention that Aaronson to Leeds is done.

Pl@ymaker repped this.
  15. butters59

butters59 Member+

Feb 22, 2013
    Blaming 19 yo for stupidity of the management would be rich for fans. Busio didn't force them to sign him up, neither he forced them to buy/rent sub MLS level players. The clause is there for a reason, it also reflected negatively on his salary, of course, so no doubts it should be exercised. And generally speaking we don't own anything to anyone except for ourselves and the families. The club would fire and the fans boo him as soon as they feel he deserve it. Nothing personal, strictly business.

comoesa, gomichigan24 and deejay repped this.
  16. thedukeofsoccer

thedukeofsoccer Member+

Jul 11, 2004
    Wussconsin
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #891 thedukeofsoccer, May 26, 2022
    Last edited: May 26, 2022
    I understand the perspective. But it would show character to fix what you helped break, even if they were going to be relegation battlers regardless, and he's still a theoretically developing player.

He also chose to come there over alternatives. He and his agent should have known what they were getting into. Same when it came to Sargent.

I'm fine with Hoppe leaving, since Schalke's fall was unforeseen, he came up from academy, & Matt was more the problem than solution. But I can't say the same about Sargent, & Busio (the way he finished), at their respective clubs. And look how it would have behooved both Sargent & Hoppe to stay, in retrospect.

17. butters59

butters59 Member+

Feb 22, 2013
    I don't think that's a time or place to play hero. More on the agent than on the kid, but mostly on the club.
    Stay away from those pretenders.

18. gomichigan24

gomichigan24 Member+

Jul 15, 2002
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It would have been a good move for Sargent or Hoppe to stay because that was a better situation than the ones they ultimately went to. If Venezia is the best situation for Busio he should stay, and if a better situation comes along he should go. I'm open to arguments he should stay, but it shouldn't be out of some sense that he's responsible for relegation. He should do what's best for his career and what best increases his chance of being on the World Cup roster.

19. NietzscheIsDead

NietzscheIsDead Member+

NO WAR
    United States
    May 31, 2019
    NO WAR
    Its rumors.

20. ttrevett

ttrevett Member+

Apr 2, 2002
    Atlanta, GA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    From whom, drunk people?;)

21. gomichigan24

gomichigan24 Member+

Jul 15, 2002
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Marko72 and Pl@ymaker repped this.
  22. gomichigan24

gomichigan24 Member+

Jul 15, 2002
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    More confirmation of Bayern interest

Pl@ymaker repped this.
  23. NietzscheIsDead

NietzscheIsDead Member+

NO WAR
    United States
    May 31, 2019
    NO WAR
    I can’t out my sources.

jnielsen and ttrevett repped this.
  24. felloveranddidanadu

Plymouth Argyle FC
    Dec 12, 2009
    Club:
    San Jose Frogs
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    With new American owners are we just going to see every US player linked with them?

jnielsen repped this.
  25. gomichigan24

gomichigan24 Member+

Jul 15, 2002
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States