USMNT Transfer Watch - Movers and Shakers

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by Eleven Bravo, Jan 11, 2021.

1. juveeer

juveeer Member+

Aug 3, 2006
    Probably not, though Atalanta is well run enough to do so it they wanted to. But because they re well run, I doubt they would pay that much.

He would definitely help Fiorentina. Not sure how he would fit Gasp's style though. He would prolly slot right in to Conte's Napoli though.

2. Bob Morocco

Bob Morocco Member+

Aug 11, 2003
    Billings, MT
    I don’t see how this is a fiasco.

3. juveeer

juveeer Member+

Aug 3, 2006
    Well, he is now in no man's land again.

if he finds a good place to land it won't be. But if he doesn't he will be in a spot of bother.

4. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Rocco Comisso could sign him because he is American but I don’t think he will shell out that much for him.

Knowing Rocco, he probably thinks that money would be better spent elsewhere.

juveeer repped this.
  5. juveeer

juveeer Member+

Aug 3, 2006
  6. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Me neither. Worse case scenario he spends the season trying to earn a spot in Juve's first team while picking up a nice salary.

Well I guess there could be worse. He goes to another team and flops or he gets injured.

7. juveeer

juveeer Member+

Aug 3, 2006
    Unless the deals in the works don't get done or there are a ton of injuries I don't think that is really on the cards.

He will earn his salary though, but we US fans need him playing.

8. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    gjackson2207 repped this.
  9. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Also, the loan of Paxten Aaronson to Utrecht is official. Things are picking up. Booth and Aaronson now playing together!!

10. butters59

butters59 Member+

Feb 22, 2013
    At least someone is liked
    "By far de beste Vitessenaar afgelopen seizoen. Gaan jullie heel veel plezier aan beleven.
    By far the best Vitesse player last season. You're going to have a lot of fun with it."

Yowza repped this.
  11. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Is there a club in Italy not linked to Tanner Tessmann?
    Dallas has a pretty good sell on clause. :) :)

12. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas

Namdynamo repped this.
  13. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    1803475256293622256 is not a valid tweet id

Namdynamo, gjackson2207 and Winoman repped this.
  14. superdave

superdave BigSoccer Yellow Card

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Don’t know on the first, yes on the second,

juveeer repped this.
  15. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Maybe they'd pay him 5 million. That would make him the 10th highest paid player in MLS. Its not like that salary for a USMNT player in his prime is out of whack. He'd be right behind Hector Herrera of Houston at $5.2 million.

I do think there are fans all over the world, including the US, that don't understand how MLS pays players. I mean, Acosta at Cincinnati makes $4.2 million in guaranteed compensation. Of course Cincinnati could give Wes that kind of salary!!! Will they? Who knows. I don't know if they want to pay two players that kind of money.

There's also the possibility that Dallas still owns his MLS rights. Who the hell knows.............???

Wes doesn't strike me as the kind of player that would come back right now. But all of those comments in the press recently indicate he didnt' enjoy his time in England, and he also clearly has some issues with how he's been treated in Italy by Juventus.

Maybe he's just fed up. He'd be treated like royalty in MLS. Like Dempsey in Seattle.

16. gomichigan24

gomichigan24 Member+

Jul 15, 2002
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It’s still fairly early in the summer however. He’s going to have offers/opportunities.

17. Rossonero23

Rossonero23 BigSoccer Yellow Card

Sep 9, 2010
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Tessman should avoid inter. He'll never play.

Fiorentina would be great. Atalanta very interesting since they revamping midfield.
    Champions league soccer too is attractive. Gasperini, great tactician. We'll run, positive club.

No to parma and Como.
    Might as well stay with Venezia and get relegated in style!

Winoman, superdave, juveeer and 2 others repped this.
  18. Rahbiefowlah

Rahbiefowlah Member+

Oct 22, 2001
    Las Vegas
    I would love to have a reason to watch Atalanta matches.

Boysinblue and Rossonero23 repped this.
  19. Ghost

Ghost BigSoccer Yellow Card

Sep 5, 2001
    Were at a point where MLS will always be able to compete for yhe USMNT players it wants. Not saying that's good or bad. Just the reality.

I mean, would Erling Haaland rather play for Man City in Manchester or New York? Things are going to change over the next few years.

20. gomichigan24

gomichigan24 Member+

Jul 15, 2002
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If he leaves Man City it’d probably be for Madrid or Barcelona (and probably the former given Barcelona’s financial issues).

21. Pegasus

Pegasus Member+

Apr 20, 1999
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think people have forgotten or are too young to remember how big $$$$ lured plenty of great players to the NASL. It wasn't well run and crashed so MLS is doing the slow and steady growth route but at any time the multitude of billionaires could change course and a lot of players would come. Certainly better than China or Saudi Arabia.

theboogeyman, Winoman and adi21 repped this.
  22. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    One of the problems with the NASL was that they signed the players expecting the fans to follow and in most cases they didn't. It was speculation based on the Cosmos, who were playing in front of 6,000 fans on a small island in the East River when they signed Pele.

Beckenbauer by the way, who was still one of the top 5 players in the world when he signed for the Cosmos aged 31, was paid $3.5M a year in today's money, which seemed astronomical at the time. Danny Ings, as I keep reminding people makes over $8 million.

Pegasus and Winoman repped this.
  23. Khan

Khan Member+

Mar 16, 2000
    On the road
    But its on a case-by-case basis, IMO.

A player in his prime probably shouldn't take the step down to MLS. Consider:

If stars from other nations don't go to MLS until they're older, why should Americans go to MLS in their primes?

OTOH, an older guy like Turner might be best suited to go to MLS. Or a guy who's in his prime, but probably not better than MLS caliber, (like Aaronson) could be a good fit.

But a player in his prime, whose level is higher than MLS? It would be foolish for him to go to MLS in his prime, from my view.

Are you talking about an in-prime Haaland, or a 30 year old+ Haaland?

I dont think that star-players-to-MLS will change as fast as the echo chamber around here thinks it will.

24. Pegasus

Pegasus Member+

Apr 20, 1999
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I doubt many of us think that. I think a lot of think they could if they wanted to but that's not their strategy. I don't even think they need to do anything different to keep improving as a lot of teams in Europe are handicapped by money issues and it doesn't seem to be getting better. MLS improves by standing still as others sink. Only they aren't standing still. They are a tank slowly chewing their way with nothing stopping them but also not being very seedy.