USMNT Transfer Watch - Movers and Shakers

Discussion in 'USA Men' started by Eleven Bravo, Jan 11, 2021.

1. Eleven Bravo

Eleven Bravo Member+

Atlanta United
    United States
    Jul 3, 2004
    SC
    Club:
    Atlanta Silverbacks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #1 Eleven Bravo, Jan 11, 2021
    Last edited: Jan 11, 2021
    ***This thread is to discuss moves, rumors, and where we believe players need to move within MLS and abroad transfer window.***

In the January 2021 transfer window...

DONE DEAL

Brenden Aaronson, AM
    (Philadelphia Union > RB Salzburg) and Mark McKenzie, CB (Philadelphia Union > Genk) have already moved. Joe Scally, RB (NYCFC > Gladbach) is on his way to Gladbach.

Word is that Bryan Reynolds, RB (FC Dallas > Juventus, loaned to Benevento) is being finalized.
    Meanwhile...

Chris Gloster, LB
    (PSV > unattached) was released from PSV.

Nick Taitague, AM/WG (Schalke > unattached) was released from Schalke.

Ethan Horvath, GK (Club Brugge) transfer listed.

...within MLS:

Brady Scott, GK - Nashville SC > Austin FC

Nick Lima, RB - San Jose Earthquakes > Austin FC

Marco Farfan, LB - Portland Timbers > Los Angeles FC

Andrew Gutman, LB - FC Cincinnati > Atlanta United​

RUMOR MILL

Julian Araujo, RB
    (LA Galaxy) is rumored to be headed to Tottenham for €5m. Juventus are also rumored to be watching him.

Kyle Duncan, RB (NY Red Bulls) being watched by Swansea, Heerenveen, and Lens.

Matthew Olosunde, RB (Rotherham) is being watched by Norwich City and Sheffield Wednesday.

Sebastian Soto, FW (Telstar, loaned from Norwich) rumored to be recalled by his mother club, Norwich City, from Telstar.

Folarin Balogun, FW (Arsenal reserves) rumored to head abroad, likely destination is Stuttgart.

There is some floating rumors that Tottenham want to persuade Weston McKennie, MF (Schalke, loaned to Juventus) to join them. Meanwhile, word and performance would indicate him staying at Juventus.

Matthew Hoppe, FW, (Schalke) contract expires in 6 months. There is no word on if he’ll stay or go. We can imagine that if Schalke stays up and he stays a first team player, he will stay on. But other things could see his career take him somewhere else.

Juventus are watching Ricardo Pepi, FW (FC Dallas) and Caden Clark, AM/WG (NY Red Bulls). No word if they’re ready to pull the trigger or not.

Gladbach are watching George Bello, LB (Atlanta United). There might be reason to believe that Bello might leave soon. Atlanta United has recently purchased two left backs.

Chelsea and Tottenham are watching Malick Sanogo, FW (Union Berlin).

Cole Bassett, AM (Colorado Rapids) being watched by Nantes. Rumor is that bid from Freiburg, Rapid Vienna, and Lausanne were rejected. Also, Wolfsburg are rumored to be very interested and ready to make a €5m bid - Hoffenheim and Werder Bremen are also interested.

Gianluca Busio, AM (Sporting Kansas City) being watched by Juventus and Liverpool. Also, Barcelona and Bayern are supposed to be interested.

Charlie Kelman, FW (QPR) Sunderland inquiring about loan deal.

Tim Ream, CB (Fulham) rumored to be let go at the end of the season.

Aron Johannsson, FW (unattached, formerly Hammarby) has interest from Hannover 96.

Travian Sousa, LB (unattached, formerly Hamburg) is being watched by Manchester United.

Eryk Williamson, MF (Portland Timbers) & Jeremy Ebobisse, FW (Portland Timbers) rumored to be interested in moving to Europe.

Ethan Horvath, GK (Club Brugge) rumored to being watched by Heerenveen.

DeAndre Yedlin, RB (Newcastle United) rumored to have interest in Trabzonspor. Benfica might also be interested.

Tanner Tessman, MF (FC Dallas) set to train with Bayern Munich. No word on an offer.

Michael Edwards, CB (Wolfsburg) is rumored to being headed stateside - with DC United the most likely destination.

Reggie Cannon, RB (Boavista) has interest from Benfica.

Jonathan Gomez, LB (Louisville City) training with Sporting Lisbon. Other European clubs, not known at this time, are supposedly interested. The word is he’ll sign when he turns 18.

Josh Sargent, FW (Werder Bremen) might have interest in England - clubs unknown.

Daryl Dike, FW (Orlando City) has interest from Club Brugge.

Tyler Boyd, RM (Ineligible @ Besiktas) no word on anyone helping Boyd get out of his quagmire in Turkey. Rumor is he’ll be eligible again soon.

Philippe Sandler, CB (Manchester City) is rumored to have interest from Hellas Verona.

DISCUSSION ON
    PLAYERS WHO NEED TO MOVE

Ethan Horvath, GK
    (Club Brugge) he needs to get the hell out of where he’s at, and it looks like he might have his shot. He needs to find a place where he’ll be certain to start. Belgium, Netherlands, Portugal, and Austria would be good destinations, in my opinion. He might could find a weaker team in France that will take a flier on him.

Matt Turner, GK (New England Revolution) needs to try his luck abroad. There are enough MLS keepers and not enough European keepers. If he wants to set himself apart, he needs to prove himself. Like Horvath, it would be ideal if he could sign somewhere in the first divisions in Netherlands, Belgium, Austria, or Portugal where he would be a starter, but there would be no shame in starting out in Denmark, Switzerland, Norway, or Sweden if he could get on there too. Anything less than that - just stay in MLS.

Reggie Cannon, RB (Boavista) it’s a bit early for him to move so soon, but Boavista don’t look good and he needs to strike while the iron is hot. If he can upgrade, he should upgrade... especially because competition at right back is heating up.

DeAndre Yedlin, RB (Newcastle) he really got a bad deal at Newcastle, and he should look to get out of where he’s at. I still think he’s good enough for a club in the top 5. I wouldn’t settle for less.

Matthew Olosunde, RB (Rotherham) I would like to see him in the Championship. He’s earned his shot.

Chris Richards, CB (Bayern Munich) - it’s a bit early, but I would start sniffing around good loan deals inside the Bundesliga. He needs consistent playing time. That said, that move is not urgent yet. He is still getting good experience, at this point in his career.

Ventura Alvarado, CB (Atletico San Luis) - I think he’s good enough, but playing in Mexico does not seem to be enough to breakthrough. He could try his luck for a weaker club in the Spanish first tier or stronger club in the second tier. But his best career move at this point would be to probably come to MLS. As an Atlanta fan, I would trade Meza for him.

Auston Trusty, CB (Colorado Rapids) I don’t know what caused the collapse of this once very promising defender, but he’s not cutting it at Colorado. A move inside MLS would be his bet. I would consider Nashville SC where I think he could beat out Romney.

Philippe Sandler, CB (Manchester City) If Hellas Verona want him, I say go! He’ll likely find a good club destination soon enough though.

Michael Edwards, CB (Wolfsburg) if DC United are interested, I would jump on that if I see him.

Erik Palmer-Brown, CB (Austria Wien, on loan from Man City) I know he’s at home in Vienna, and he’s doing well there now, but it’s time for a new challenge or get lost in the dust. He should be ready to head to one of the big leagues now.

Brendan Hines-Ike, CB (Kortrijk) Another YA abroad center back that I would encourage to consider a move to MLS.

Justen Glad, CB (Real Salt Lake) Sometimes you stay at a club too long. Glad did that at RSL. If he could get a deal in Belgium, Portugal, Netherlands, Denmark, or Austria, in the first tier, I would jump on that and see if he can work his way up like Durkin is trying to do.

Tim Ream, CB (Fulham) I would like to see him return to NY Red Bulls. He’s got enough experience that he is what he is, and a move home might help his chances more than hurt him.

Aaron Long, CB (NY Red Bulls) With all parties involved, I would try to work out a swap between Ream and Long. Long needs the European experience, and Ream just needs to finish out his career not rotting away on the bench. I’ll say this - Long should get pushed out if he doesn’t make the move abroad.

George Bello, LB (Atlanta United) it’s about to be now or never time for Bello. He now has a year of starting experience under his belt, yet he’s still young enough that top clubs in Europe will look at him as an understudy. If Gladbach, or a similar club are interested, I say go. The one caveat is that he’s a first team player who will earn a chance to get into the rotation. If he’s never going to get a shot or abandoned to the reserves, I’d refuse.

Chris Gloster, LB (PSV) There’s no shame in coming home. If I’m Gloster, I would sign with a MLS club, build up my value, get experience, and develop as a player.

Jonathan Gomez, LB (Louisville City) obviously we don’t want our best left backs playing in the USL. If Sporting Lisbon want him, I say go. He could also try to go to Porto and join his brother.

Travian Sousa, LB (unattached) I don’t know what caused him to become a free agent at Hamburg, but I can almost guarantee that if he couldn’t get on the field for Hamburg... he’s not going to see the light of day for Manchester United or Liverpool. If I’m him, I would try out Denmark, Belgium, or Austria.

Owen Otasowie, MF (Wolverhampton) it’s debatable, because if Wolverhampton will play him, he should stay at Wolverhampton. But if he’s not going to get a shot, he needs a loan deal, or maybe even a transfer. I’d take a loan deal in the Championship, but I wouldn’t transfer to any club not in the first tier of the top 5.

Johnny Cardoso, MF (Internacional) although Brazil has a great soccer league, you get noticed by playing in Europe. There was some interest about him playing for OM. I don’t know if that’s a good fit. But a transfer to a team in the first tier of England, Italy, Spain, Germany, France, Portugal, Netherlands, or Belgium is a must.

Alfredo Morales, MF (Fortuna Dusseldorf) although Andrew Wooten has not had success in MLS, I wonder what Morales can do. There are a number of clubs that would benefit from his services.

Christian Cappis, MF (Hobro) If i was him, I would want to sign with an ambitious 2Bundesliga side, or try his luck in Belgium.

Taylor Booth, MF (Bayern Munich) There’s no shame in following your dream to play for Bayern Munich, but it’s not going to happen. He could try to still play in Europe. Or he could play in MLS. But sometimes you need to know when the right time to get out, and falling further down the pecking order at Bayern Munich isn’t helping.

Sebastian Lletget, AM (LA Galaxy) - It’s time for the prodigal son to return to Europe. I don’t know if he wants to leave his home in LA, but it’s pretty simple... there are a lot of youth prospects that are threatening to surpass him. And he still has a lot to offer a lot of good clubs in Europe.

Cole Bassett, AM (Colorado Rapids) - He could stay another year, and be 2021’s Brenden Aaronson or he could strike when the iron is hot. I’ll say it depends on the offers on the table right now. But next year, it’s a must that he goes.

Gianluca Busio, AM (Sporting Kansas City) I think it’s time for him to go. He’s been in MLS long enough, even though he’s still very young. I would take a flier on one of the big clubs and with the intent of a loan.

Jesus Ferreira, AM (FC Dallas) - Ferreira had a slump in 2020 but he’s still very skilled. The question, I have is where? I could see him going to Denmark and proving himself there before he goes to a bigger club. The thing I’m worried about with Ferreira is that he’s already getting crowded out at FC Dallas who seem to pump out quality players like it’s fun to do.

Alex Mendez, AM (Ajax) While I’m encouraging other young American attacking mids to go abroad, I’d encourage Mendez to come to MLS. Maybe he could work out a swap deal for Busio or Bassett. But Ajax isn’t working out for him, but that does not mean he’s not good enough for MLS.

Luca de la Torre, AM (Heracles) He’s playing for Heracles, but his career would be helped by coming back to MLS.

Julian Green, AM (Gruether Firth) If Greuther Firth do not secure promotion this year, which I guess I’d obviously then tell Green to wait until the summer, I would encourage Green to come back to his birth place and play in MLS. I would like to see him with Orlando.

Matko Miljevic, AM (Argentinos) 2020 was not kind to Miljevic. And I think a move to MLS would rejuvenate his career.

Konrad de la Fuente, WG (Barcelona) I’m okay with him spending the rest of the year with Barcelona. But if I’m him, I’d have a heart to heart with Koeman “either give me some minutes or I’m out.” There’s no shame in not making it at Barcelona. But don’t waste your life there either.

Duane Holmes, AM/WG (Derby County) - Come on home to MLS. At this point, he’s not much more than a fringe Championship player, and that’s good enough for MLS but not good enough for the national team.

Lynden Gooch, AM/WG (Sunderland) - Same story as Holmes, except a lower level. It’s time to play in MLS. Besides, MLS needs American wingers.

Emmanuel Sabbi, WG (OB) - Same story. He’s not taking his game to the next level in Europe, and MLS needs American wingers.

Tyler Boyd, WG (Besiktas) - After that fiasco with Besiktas, I would be on the first train out. If I’m him, I would still try my luck in Europe, to set myself apart from Arriola, Mueller, and Morris.

Indiana Vassilev, WG (Aston Villa > Burton Albion) he can stay at Villa for now, but Burton Albion is not working out. I would try out Telstar that seems to be a good home for aspiring American talent.

Ulysses Llanez, WG/AM (Wolfsburg > Heerenveen) Similarly, his loan deal is not working out. I can’t see how he’s not good enough for Europe when he has done well in his international appearances. But he has been a complete dud for club play. I don’t know what his problem is, but I might see about a recall and a loan to Austria, or the like.

Caden Clark, AM/WG (NY Red Bulls) He’s clearly good enough for Europe, and I hope he’ll go abroad sooner than later. I could see him signing for Dortmund and working his way up from there. Or, he can try out for a similar level club, but I would recommend he go somewhere with a good track record of developing players.

Cade Cowell, WG (San Jose Earthquakes) I don’t think San Jose is a good environment for a promising player. If I’m him, I would go abroad, sign for a club with a good reputation of developing players.

Cameron Harper, WG (Celtic) things are not working out for him at Celtic. They won’t even give him a sniff. I would try to come to MLS and see if he can work his way up from there.

Sebastian Saucedo, WG (UNAM) Playing in Mexico has just made him anonymous. Come back to MLS and compete for a spot.

Nick Taitague, WG/AM (Schalke) injuries required his career at Schalke. I would encourage a move to MLS to see if he can rejuvenate that career.

Mukwalle Akale -WG -Can you believe he’s still Olympic eligible. I would like to see him try out in MLS.

Josh Pynadath, FW (unattached) what happened to him? Is he even interested in soccer anymore? If he wants to stay in Europe, I would try out in Austria.

Niko Gioacchini, FW (Caen), Andrija Novakovich, FW (Frosinone), Sebastian Soto, FW (Telstar) Stop messing around in the second tier and take the next step. Gioacchini needs to move now. He’s ready for it. And he’s wasting his time. I would recommend Novakovich go back to Holland where he had success - maybe try to return to Fortuna Sittard. Or, I might advise Nova to come to MLS. Soto should go back to Norwich City, if he can play. We need these three to be playing at higher levels than they’re at. And they’re all in the same boat.

Daryl Dike, FW (Orlando City) if Club Brugge is interested, GO! But I would go to Gent, Genk, Anderlecht, Charleroi, or Standard Liege if they came calling. And I would imagine that a number of Belgian clubs see a light version of Romelu Lukaku in him.

Jeremy Ebobisse, FW (Portland Timbers) - Unlike the rest, I think he needs an inter league move and to stay in MLS. I don’t see him being successful in Europe. But I could see him doing well in MLS.

Jordan Siebatcheu, FW (Young Boys) I would like to see him in MLS. He can give up his dream of ever paying for France, but he could be a star striker in MLS.

Folarin Balogun, FW (Arsenal) I like the rumor of him going to Stuttgart. If that could happen, that would be great for everyone.

Ricardo Pepi, FW (FC Dallas) it’s really hard to make in MLS as a young American. Therefore I’d rather him spend his developmental years for a top club in Europe. For example, if a club like Dortmund, who have a great history of developing players, wanted him, I would go in a heartbeat.

Bobby Wood, FW (Hamburg) I guess I can’t blame him if he wanted to milk his contract, but he definitely sacrificed his USMNT career to do so. I could see a risk-taking MLS club take a flier on him.

Aron Johannsson, FW (unattached) I’d like to see him come home and make a name for him in MLS.

Josh Sargent, FW (Werder Bremen) - I’m glad he’s playing but he’s at a bad spot at Bremen where he’s not scoring. I would like to see him find a club, maybe a club like AZ Alkmaar, Feyenoord, Club Brugge, etc where he would be a big fish in a little pond, and hopefully rediscover his scoring touch.

2. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I feel like if this or a similar move happens, the odds of him playing for the US go from like 33% to 80%....

Eleven Bravo repped this.
  3. Eleven Bravo

Eleven Bravo Member+

Atlanta United
    United States
    Jul 3, 2004
    SC
    Club:
    Atlanta Silverbacks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think so too but I don’t think he ever had a chance for England. It’s not like he was ever going to knock out Harry Kane. Or hell, it’s not like he could even carry Tammy Abraham’s boots right now.

4. gogorath

gogorath Member+

None
    United States
    May 12, 2019
    Isn't Rotherham already in the Championship? Or are you anticipating them getting relegated right back down?

5. y2chae

y2chae New Member

Jul 7, 2020
    Wonder if a move back to MLS is next for Gloster.

6. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
  7. Eleven Bravo

Eleven Bravo Member+

Atlanta United
    United States
    Jul 3, 2004
    SC
    Club:
    Atlanta Silverbacks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Jeez, that slipped by me. That’s my mistake.

8. gogorath

gogorath Member+

None
    United States
    May 12, 2019
    I mean, they are probably relegated. So just go with that.

9. Eleven Bravo

Eleven Bravo Member+

Atlanta United
    United States
    Jul 3, 2004
    SC
    Club:
    Atlanta Silverbacks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Chris Richards and Konrad de la Fuente should start to consider a loan/transfer soon. Both seem like they’ve been frozen out of the lineup as of late.

Where should they go?

Chris Richards could be competitive to start in the Bundesliga...
    -Werder Bremen
    -Moenchengladbach (3rd CB)
    -Hoffenheim (they’re going through an injury crisis)
    -Frankfurt
    -Freiburg
    -Stuttgart (would be my top choice - play for an American, team that’s doing well, and his competition are players he should beat out)
    -Augsburg (would have to fight)
    -Koln (If they stay up - loan? Yes. Transfer? Not sure)
    -Union Berlin
    -Arminia Bielefeld (loan? Yes. Transfer? No)

(clubs were it might be difficult for him to crack in the Bundesliga: Schalke, Dortmund, RB Leipzig, Leverkusen, Hertha, Wolfsburg)
    (Wouldn’t recommend Mainz.. their center defense is competitive and their team is crap.)

Konrad de la Fuente in La Liga...

would be too difficult:
    -Atletico Madrid
    -Real Madrid
    -Sevilla
    -Villarreal (he might could compete but he wouldn’t be a lock starter by any imagination)
    -Real Sociedad

He could compete:
    -Valencia (he wouldn’t be a lock starter but could be in the rotation)
    -Athletic Bilbao (wouldn’t be a lock starter but could be in the rotation)
    -Real Betis (he should be competitive)
    -Getafe (could expect to get games)
    -Celta (should be in XI, at least expected to be in the rotation)
    -Granada (would need to up his game)
    -Levante (should get into the rotation)
    -Osasuna (should get into the rotation)
    -Alaves (should be in the XI)
    -Cadiz (should be in the XI)
    -Eibar (should get into the rotation)
    -Valladolid (should be in the XI)
    -Huesca (should be in the XI)
    -Elche (should be in the XI)

10. 50/50 Ball

50/50 Ball Member+

Sep 6, 2006
    USA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

This is from a Seattle beat writer.

11. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
  12. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Cam Harper is a free agent after this season.

13. Eleven Bravo

Eleven Bravo Member+

Atlanta United
    United States
    Jul 3, 2004
    SC
    Club:
    Atlanta Silverbacks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Unfortunate but probably for the best. It seems like he was never truly in Celtic’s plans. And it seems he was basically told he was not good enough after his debut.

I’m guessing only, but I figure he might a drifter in the lower SPL for the majority of his career. Even if Celtic is Celtic, I doubt if he can’t make it in the SPL that he can make it in MLS. Could be wrong. Harper could surpass a number of our wing prospects. But for now - he goes down on my list.

14. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas

15. Eleven Bravo

Eleven Bravo Member+

Atlanta United
    United States
    Jul 3, 2004
    SC
    Club:
    Atlanta Silverbacks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I really like both moves (CCV and Morris).

If Morris was moving to some mid-table Championship team on a full transfer, I would say no way. But a 6 month loan, with a right to purchase, to a 2nd place team - that’s interesting. If things don’t work out, they don’t work out. That 6 month experience isn’t going to hurt him. But it could be a big pay off if he helps them get promoted and becomes a legit EPL winger/forward.

And it’s about time that CCV found a permanent home.

16. Eleven Bravo

Eleven Bravo Member+

Atlanta United
    United States
    Jul 3, 2004
    SC
    Club:
    Atlanta Silverbacks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    On the discussion of transfers and loans, it would be interesting if MLS/USL took more initiative to take on loan struggling American youths for 6 months to a year to help them develop.

For example, players I would list that would benefit from a short term loan to MLS/USL...

GK
    -Ethan Horvath (Club Brugge) - MLS
    -Chituri Odunze (Leicester City) - USL
    -Carlos Santos (Benfica) - USL
    -Damian Las (Fulham) - USL
    -Ethan Wady (Dartford) - USL

RB
    -Marlon Fossey (Fulham) - USL/MLS
    -Desevio Payne (FC Emmen) - USL
    -Ashton Gotz (Drochtersen/Assel) - USL

CB
    -Chris Richards (Bayern Munich) - MLS
    -Philippe Sandler (Manchester City) - MLS
    -Bryan Okoh (Liefering) - MLS/USL
    -Lennard Maloney (Dortmund) - MLS

LB
    -Kobe Hernandez-Foster (Wolfsburg) - MLS
    -Leonardo Sepulveda (Salamanca) - MLS/USL

MF
    -Bryang Kayo (Wolfsburg) - MLS
    -Taylor Booth (Bayern Munich) - MLS
    -Kyle Scott (Newcastle) - MLS

AM
    -Alex Mendez (Porto) - MLS
    -Malik Tillman (Bayern Munich) - MLS
    -Matko Miljevic (Argentinos) - MLS
    -Ian Harkes (Dundee) - USL

WG
    -Konrad de la Fuente (Barcelona) - MLS
    -Uly Llanez (LA Galaxy) - MLS
    -Indy Vassilev (Aston Villa) - MLS
    -Cameron Harper (Celtic) - MLS
    -Matteo Ritaccio (Liverpool) - USL
    -Zyen Jones (Ferencvarosi) - USL

FW
    -Niko Gioacchini (Caen) - MLS
    -Sebastian Soto (Telstar, on loan from Norwich City) - MLS
    -Andrija Novakovich (Frosinone) - MLS
    -Jordan Siebatcheu (Young Boys, on loan from Rennes) - MLS
    -Folarin Balogun (Arsenal, on way to RB Leipzig) - MLS
    -Malick Sanogo (Union Berlin) - MLS
    -Charlie Kelman (QPR) - MLS
    -Patrick Koffi (Paris FC) - MLS/USL
    -Bobby Wood (Hamburg) - MLS
    -Johan Gomez (Porto) - MLS
    -Maurice Malone (Augsburg) - MLS
    -Jalen Hawkins (Ingolstadt) - MLS/USL
    -Justin Butler (Ingolstadt) - MLS/USL
    -Isaiah Young (Rot-Weiss Essen) - MLS/USL

50/50 Ball repped this.
  17. 50/50 Ball

50/50 Ball Member+

Sep 6, 2006
    USA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I agree with the concept. The calendars work out well too.

18. thedukeofsoccer

thedukeofsoccer Member+

Jul 11, 2004
    Wussconsin
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It says Celtic offered him a new deal. But apparently he's turned it down and is signing with NY Red Bulls, who plan on him being part of their attacking core, before a potential move up the ladder in the RB system along the line.

Regardless, Celtic not playing you doesn't prove much. As overrated as they are, they may well still be better than anyone in MLS. And it's harder to play for them than better clubs like Salzburg. Their business model is the polar opposite when it comes to youth integration. Indeed, one chance, due to lucky circumstance, and that may be all that you're going to get if you don't perform. To wit turning down their deal is a smart play.

Moving stateside also gives him an opportunity to fill a hole for the domestics at wing in Olympic qualifying.

Eleven Bravo and gogorath repped this.
  19. gogorath

gogorath Member+

None
    United States
    May 12, 2019
    Well, that is saucy.

Dare I dream of Caden Clark to Cameron Harper on ESPN+ all year?

I don't know if it's the right move, but kudos to Harper for looking for playing time and asserting himself.

20. nobody

nobody Member+

Jun 20, 2000
    A lot less talk about Morris on loan than I expected. Seems like a pretty significant and in some ways odd move. Odd because he's 26 and should be in or close to his peak. Lots of rumors of top flight interest and he goes to a second tier squad. If this were a transfer instead of a loan, I'd be pretty disappointed. But, for a loan spell it could be a good chance to take. He goes somewhere he's likely to get both playing time and attacking chances to put up some numbers. If they make the jump, he should have good leverage to sign a nice contract as a hero. If they stay in the second tier and he does well, he may get other offers and if they stay and it's not for him, he can come right back home and is still pretty much where he started with perhaps a bit less shine about him. Seems like a low risk, high reward strategy to see where he stands.

Chesco United repped this.
  21. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    #21 Clint Eastwood, Jan 18, 2021
    Last edited: Jan 18, 2021
    Kind of reminds us of when Landon Donovan went on a series of loans in his mid-to-late 20s during the MLS off-season (Bayern, Everton).

A reminder....................Landon Donovan is part of the investment group that owns Swansea.

It could just be a coincidence. The principle investors are Jason Levien (CEO of DC United) and Steve Kaplan (owns interests in different sports, including the Memphis Grizzlies).

Its unclear how active Donovan is with Swansea. At one point he wanted to be really active.
    https://soccer.nbcsports.com/2016/08/10/landon-donovan-reveals-his-role-at-swansea-city/

nobody repped this.
  22. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    The Wingo deal is officially done. Ferencvaros was in the group stages of the Champions League this year. He, of course, is a right back.

23. frankburgers

frankburgers Member+

May 31, 2016
    Several of the players listed that “should come to mls” have never played at a level as good as mls.

TarHeels17 and Chesco United repped this.
  24. TarHeels17

TarHeels17 Member+

Jan 10, 2017
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Was gonna say that. It sounds like a nice idea, but in reality those deals rarely work. I'm thinking about guys like Josh Perez - mainstay of the U17s, gets a debut in Serie A, comes to LAFC, and quickly gets cast aside.

If they haven't become a first team player, they're not going to start shining in MLS. The more applicable level is USL.

25. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas