USMNT: The Over-holder Era Pt. 2

Discussion in 'Columbus Crew' started by TKyle, Jun 16, 2023.

1. Paul171121

Paul171121 Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Dec 14, 2018
    20240520_121201.jpg

TRUJDUB21, TrueCrew, kgilbert78 and 2 others repped this.
  2. kgilbert78

kgilbert78 Member+

Borussia Mönchengladbach
    United States
    Dec 28, 2006
    Cowlumbus, OH
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Can't argue with Berhalter on that....

TRUJDUB21 repped this.
  3. TrueCrew

TrueCrew Member+

Dec 22, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nope.

Morris and Schulte are almost certainly going.

A good chunk of it overlaps with Leagues Cup.

TRUJDUB21 repped this.
  4. Paul171121

Paul171121 Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Dec 14, 2018
    Cellantano is making a push for that starting job. His fbef stats are great. Although, Miazga does a lot of his distribution for him.

A lot of this will depend on whether Gaga is loaned out early and whether his loaned out club will release him. Strasbourg is interested. Another consideration is Diego Kochen who spain is trying to get him to commit. If we give him a spot, then we may lock down his commitment.

(Off topic, along with Cellantano and Matt Frese, Steve Clark and Brad Stuver are all having great years, while Steffen is statistically the worst in the league. Clark and Stuver have been good for the past few years.)

5. kgilbert78

kgilbert78 Member+

Borussia Mönchengladbach
    United States
    Dec 28, 2006
    Cowlumbus, OH
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Steffen got the big bucks, but I'm not sure it did his career any favors.

TKyle and russ repped this.
  6. Paul171121

Paul171121 Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Dec 14, 2018
    Some Olympics film. Zimmerman is the locked in overage player

Also, news about the Copa, Sargent is a doubt. Norwich ran his ankle into the ground.
    And for the Copa, aside from the final, knockout games go straight to pens if tied.

TrueCrew repped this.
  7. MFRONE

MFRONE Member+

Jul 24, 2000
    Columbus, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    If he plays well this summer, Schulte should be the US #1 keeper

8. Paul171121

Paul171121 Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Dec 14, 2018
    I watched from the first goal to just after the USA goal. Was really good but heard the planned subs really did it in

TrueCrew repped this.
  9. KCbus

KCbus Moderator
    Staff Member

United States
    Nov 26, 2000
    Reynoldsburg, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Slow your roll.

10. Crew Chuck35

Crew Chuck35 Member+

Apr 13, 2009
    Gahanna, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Greggggg should be fired tonight

TracieB, crew2112 and the_rickler repped this.
  11. KCbus

KCbus Moderator
    Staff Member

United States
    Nov 26, 2000
    Reynoldsburg, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Why? The lineup was all Euro guys, and USMNT twitter has been saying that's all that's necessary.

TrueCrew repped this.
  12. Crew Chuck35

Crew Chuck35 Member+

Apr 13, 2009
    Gahanna, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What’s necessary is a fresh voice and set of eyes on the product.

13. Kyle Crew

Kyle Crew Member+

Feb 23, 2013
    Columbus, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Tons of interest I see!! lol

Glad I decided to watch movies instead.

14. crew2112

crew2112 Member+

Jan 25, 2008
    Dayton, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    The 68 yard wide pitch didn’t do them any favors. These narrow fields are hurting more than they are helping. That said, Colombia figured it out. Not a good look for team rainbow.

15. TRUJDUB21

TRUJDUB21 Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Sep 28, 2021
    Defensively we were bad and Colombia capitalized on our mistakes and showed they are clearly better which we all should have already knew. We can’t beat any good team if we make silly mistakes and give a good opponent that many scoring opportunities.

TrueCrew repped this.
  16. TKyle

TKyle Moderator
    Staff Member

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Dec 28, 2014
    Nordecke’s Porch
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was at a graduation party; otherwise I would have watched it.

Glad I didn’t. I checked the score at one point and we were down 2-1. “It’s Colombia, a good squad, and it’s a friendly, no big deal” I thought.

Then I see the final score is 5-1. Holy cow. What a rout. And with Brazil to follow on Wednesday.

17. KCbus

KCbus Moderator
    Staff Member

United States
    Nov 26, 2000
    Reynoldsburg, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #442 KCbus, Jun 9, 2024
    Last edited: Jun 9, 2024
    I don't understand it. I've been hearing for years that the national team will never succeed when they have so many MLS players on it, and we need to have all our top guys going to the big European leagues. Well, today, for the first time ever, the starting XI was ALL guys from the five top leagues in the world, and we got shithammered.

Crickets from the MLS-bashers.

As for Berhalter... I defended him as much as anyone, and I reflexively said when he got re-hired that he had done enough to earn the job again, but I also thought that maybe he had peaked. To be fair, he did go out and win another Nations League, beating Mexico AGAIN. I also think that when you have this much top-notch talent on the field at one time, and they lose 5-1, even to a quality side like Colombia, it's gotta be mostly on them.

That said, 5-1 is 5-1. And when you get drilled that badly, it's a poor reflection on the coach. Either they're not playing for him, they're not motivated, they're starting to tune him out, the tactics are ill-advised -- I don't know exactly, but it can't ALL be on the players.

Maybe we'll find out that they went out for sushi and they all got food poisoning or something. But aside from that, this match against Brazil and the upcoming Copa America just took on a whole new complexion. The first match of Copa is literally two weeks away, so Berhalter's coaching it. Can't be helped. But if we get our clock cleaned... ooh. Break out the moving boxes and the packing tape.

Paul171121 and Kryptonite repped this.
  18. Kryptonite

Kryptonite BS XXV

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I just wanted to see this part again. MLS is a lot better than people realize, especially people who stopped following their local team within the past few years because "EPL is so much better."

I can only assume Chelsea, Man City and Man United are amongst the favorites. Again.

19. Paul171121

Paul171121 Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Dec 14, 2018
    The other CONCACAF results were also terrible. Maybe the Nations League was a poor idea.

russ repped this.
  20. Bill Archer

Bill Archer BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 19, 2002
    Washington, NC
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #445 Bill Archer, Jun 9, 2024
    Possibly so, but otoh with the ridiculous expansion to 48 teams there are a whole bunch of countries- the US among them - who aren't really in much jeopardy anyway.

But then Infantino wants to go to 64, at which point it won't be even a small challenge.

Ball Kicker repped this.
  21. POdinCowtown

POdinCowtown Member+

Jan 15, 2002
    Columbus
    Mexico got blasted midweek by Uruguay, then played better vs Brazil. Perhaps the US can do the same.

TRUJDUB21 repped this.
  22. Meddlin' Truckstop Owner

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Aug 21, 2022
    #447 Meddlin' Truckstop Owner, Jun 9, 2024

Using events from last night to "bash the 'MLS bashers'" feels like a weird hill to die on.

1) Walker Zimmerman or Aiden Morris or whoever else is in MLS ... what further heights are these players supposed to get the USMNT to over the Euro based players?

2) Did you watch last night's MLS games? I watched a lot of the 4, during intermissions of the Stanley Cup finals and on delay afterwards.

All of them ... utter crap by international soccer league standards.

Take away the foreign players leading the MLS best teams ... Messi/Cucho/Arango/Acosta, etc. ... and last night is what you get. NYRB looked lost last night without Forsberg.

MLS is better than 10 years ago ... but I still don't expect high-quality soccer from it overall. It is the top vehicle domestically for the Crew to compete in. And that's fine for me.

TRUJDUB21, russ and Bill Archer repped this.
  23. KCbus

KCbus Moderator
    Staff Member

United States
    Nov 26, 2000
    Reynoldsburg, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, of the eight teams that played last night, six of them are in the bottom half of the table. It's not like the league's elite teams were in action. Plus, Minnesota was missing (I think) 8 guys to international duty.

Regardless -- that doesn't refute anything I said. And please note that this rant isn't directed at you specifically, so much as it is the larger fan base...

I'm not trying to use one crappy result as proof positive that MLS is now an elite worldwide league. I'm just taking some of the one-trick ponies who live only to BASH MLS out for a bit of a ride. For decades now, every USMNT fan has been encouraging every single American born player with the slightest glimmer of being a national teamer to go overseas. Like it's their first and greatest obligation to think about the country rather than their own careers, OR MLS as a whole. I've been the one pushing back on it, saying I want those players to stick around because it raises the level of the league as a whole, which eventually raises the overall level of the typical American player. (Not to mention making the league stronger, more entertaining and more competitive. I watch MLS ten months out of the year. The national team plays crucial tournaments, what, once every two years?)

So the "go to Europe" types have gotten their wish. Mission Accomplished. What's it getting us?

Every time we play an important match with a couple MLS guys in the lineup, the trolls come out to play and insist that everything that goes wrong is because of the one or two (or three) MLS players on the field. We know what the magic formula is, and it's a shame that our crappy domestic league keeps screwing it up. Well, apparently, it's not that simple, sparky. Yesterday's lineup gave every Europhile their wet dream -- a roster full of elite-league players. And they got taken to the cleaners. They didn't just lose, they capitulated.

At least the MLS guys have chips on their shoulders. These guys were out to lunch.

Kryptonite and Bill Archer repped this.
  24. Paul171121

Paul171121 Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Dec 14, 2018
    I rated CCV above Zimmerman based on his physique and champions league play. Boy I was wrong.

Yesterday did give me relief that the federation wouldn't hire Nancy. If the team fires Gregg, they have to go to an old school USA counter game, while not playing energy drink soccer, something akin to Curtin.

25. Kryptonite

Kryptonite BS XXV

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Apparently there was no postgame press conference due to technical difficulties.

Here's a comment from another thread:

That hits a little close to home.