USMNT: The other O'Brien?

Discussion in 'USA Men' started by Mike22, Apr 12, 2006.

1. Mike22

Mike22 New Member

Nov 8, 2005
    Tampa-->KC, Mo
    I'm pretty sure this doesn't belong in news and analysis, but I didn't see a "Random question with no basis in reality" section. Well, I guess all of bigsoccer kind of counts as that.

Anyway, my question was whether the US had ever considered Ronnie O'brien as our RM. I'm not sure he's a better overall player than Dempsey/Donovan, but I think his crosses are much more accurate, to go along with a nice long shot. He's certainly a "purer" RWM than both Dempsey and Donovan. I seem to remember some MLS interview where he said he didn't want to play for Ireland for some reason.

It's obviously too late to integrate him into the team before the WC, but this just popped into my head.

2. Davids26

Davids26 Member

May 31, 2000
    Hes not eligible as he's had youth caps for Ireland I believe.

This has been brought up before. I think with all our troubles finding right mids, he'd have been called up if he was able to play for us.

3. Mike22

Mike22 New Member

Nov 8, 2005
    Tampa-->KC, Mo
    i didnt think youth caps tied you to a country. doesn't it have to be U-21 or above in game that matters?

4. Davids26

Davids26 Member

May 31, 2000
    He'd of needed US citizenship at the same time he was capped for Ireland, even if it was a youth cap. He didn't have it, and I don't believe he has anything more than a green card at this point, although Dallas fans might know better than I.

If it was possible ROB would have been called in.

5. brandnew_de

brandnew_de Member

Jun 18, 2005
    CT
    Why does this come up so often? I just don't get it?

6. Davids26

Davids26 Member

May 31, 2000
    Lack of understanding of the international rules.

It is a bit complicated for those who don't follow quite as closely as some here...

7. ty webb

ty webb Member

Aug 28, 2005
    NYC
    Why would we want an Irishmen playing for the NATS? The Irish team needs more help than us. :rolleyes:

8. pwip

pwip Member

Jul 10, 2004
    Dallas
    Long story short, ROB feels he has an exemption due to the rule in question came to fruition after his stinct on the U17 team. This will never be tested until he becomes a citizen and the coach of the US team calls him in.

And watching him locally, you really appreciate his game and believes his talent is on the world class level.

9. Davids26

Davids26 Member

May 31, 2000
    How far away from citizenship is he?

10. BenfromUSA

BenfromUSA Member

Jan 20, 2006
    Minneapolis/St. Paul
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was watching one of ronnie o'briens goal of the week from 05 on that long shot past guzan, and the commentator said something about him and juventus... were they interested in him when he was younger?

11. Dirt McGirt

Dirt McGirt Member+

Jun 20, 2005
    Phoenix, AZ
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I rate you a 1.5 on your list well done.

12. banbaseball

banbaseball Member

Oct 10, 2000
    East of the Bay
    buddy, you obviously have fingers, type "mlsnet.com." and search.

13. pwip

pwip Member

Jul 10, 2004
    Dallas
    after Ireland U17 Champioship, he signed with Juventas. Things didn't go well.

not sure how long but I remember it's within the next WC10

14. BenfromUSA

BenfromUSA Member

Jan 20, 2006
    Minneapolis/St. Paul
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't need to see the clip again jackball, the reason i'm asking is because i want an explaination.

15. brandnew_de

brandnew_de Member

Jun 18, 2005
    CT
    You'll never get an explanation to an asked question on BigSoccer. What you will get, however, is probably the largest collection of failed comics on the internet.

16. BenfromUSA

BenfromUSA Member

Jan 20, 2006
    Minneapolis/St. Paul
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    the comedy can be funny at times.

17. Davids26

Davids26 Member

May 31, 2000
    Chuck Norris' tears cure cancer. Too bad he has never cried.

********ing Chuck Norris!

Oh wait ROB. Ireland. US Citizenship. Juventus?

You know I've heard that Chuck Norris' authority supercedes that of the US government, maybe he can grant ROB early citizenship, but only after giving ROB his American initiation beating.

18. Shaydee

Shaydee Member

Apr 8, 2002
    New Jersey
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Alright I won't be an asshole even though Google is at the tip of your fingers.

ROB played for Middlesbrough. He was released by Bryan Robson who didn't think he was good enough. He was signed by Juventus. He didn't really make it at Juventus, maybe played a game or 2, and was loaned to Lecco and Crotone in Italy, Lugano in Switzerland, and Dundee United in Scotland. His contract with Juventus expired and he signed with Dallas.

And he is not eligible to play for the USA even if he got citizenship. At the time he was capped as a youth by Ireland he did not have US citizenship. You can only switch if you have citizenship to both countries at the time you are originally capped.

19. Mike22

Mike22 New Member

Nov 8, 2005
    Tampa-->KC, Mo
    How did you get to be so clever? I guess I should expect it, from someone with such a cool name. I guess you like colons, you certainly act like one.

20. Ryantherusskie

Mar 17, 2006
    Where it's kept Real
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not good enough to play for Lecco, Crotone and Lugano = Top 10 talent in MLS. Huzzah.

21. MikeLastort2

MikeLastort2 Member

Mar 28, 2002
    Takoma Park, MD
    He's cap tied to Ireland.

Hmm, he once asked Franz Beckenbauer for an autograph. So did I. I wonder if der Kaiser ignored Ronnie too.