USMNT: The Berhalter Era pt. 1/ World Cup 2022 /Controversy

Discussion in 'Columbus Crew' started by hardhead, Dec 2, 2018.

1. kgilbert78

kgilbert78 Member+

Borussia Mönchengladbach
    United States
    Dec 28, 2006
    Cowlumbus, OH
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They are in the middle of the season for their teams--who actually pay them. Right now, points there are more important than a friendly. That's an unusual feature due to this cycle taking place during the winter break.

But ... I am concerned as well.

TRUJDUB21 repped this.
  2. LaMacchia

LaMacchia Member+

Jul 12, 2008
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Panic.

3. Hamburgler03

Hamburgler03 BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 31, 2000
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The only current saving grace is that both England and Wales are playing poorly (both relegated from their Nation's League groups...England having not scored in 5 games) but yeah that Japan game was dismal. Both Pulisic and Pepi starting tomorrow fwiw

TRUJDUB21 repped this.
  4. TRUJDUB21

TRUJDUB21 Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Sep 28, 2021
    It’s all going to be about match ups for the knockout round . Who would we play if we win the group ? I forget what group we would be matched up with.

if we fail in group stage GB should be fired , the injuries are concerning

5. TKyle

TKyle Moderator
    Staff Member

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Dec 28, 2014
    Nordecke’s Porch
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We’re in Group B.

Group B winner plays Group A runner-ip and Group A winner plays Group B runner-up.

Group B contains (in order of current FIFA ranking, for whatever that’s worth): Netherlands (8), Senegal (18), Ecuador (44), and hosts Qatar (48).

Netherlands will win their group. If we finish second in ours, they will knock us out. In the unlikely event that we win ours, I think we could beat any of those three other teams. But I don’t think we’ll win our group.

6. puttputtfc

puttputtfc Member+

Sep 7, 1999
    Long, Acosta and Pepi starting. Goodbye, sober day.

7. KCbus

KCbus Moderator
    Staff Member

United States
    Nov 26, 2000
    Reynoldsburg, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This game has a lot of pandemic vibe to it.

TKyle repped this.
  8. KHT_Crew

KHT_Crew Member+

Mar 29, 2003
    Queen City, OH
    A team's WC tune-up matches are supposed to inspire hope in their fans and fear in their opponents.

I feel like we are doing the opposite right now.

TKyle and zman31 repped this.
  9. Kyle Crew

Kyle Crew Member+

Feb 23, 2013
    Columbus, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  10. Kryptonite

Kryptonite BS XXV

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The numbers on the front of the shirts seem really tacky. True, it's a thing, but it just seems...weird here.

The game? Unremarkable.

11. YITBOS

YITBOS Member+

Jul 2, 2001
    1.3 hours from CCS
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Meh. I've watched about as much of our tune-up matches this cycle as I did last cycle.

I've seen enough matches (every single f#cking US Open Cup game) where GGG couldn't give a rat's ass regarding the outcome to know that these matches are just him playing Legos and what-ifs.

12. puttputtfc

puttputtfc Member+

Sep 7, 1999
    Better than the Japan game but a step below a shot of Malort.

13. Kyle Crew

Kyle Crew Member+

Feb 23, 2013
    Columbus, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Was there anything to take away from this game? I saw none of it. I assume Pepi was as lost as ever?

14. the_rickler

the_rickler Member+

Feb 9, 2013
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    I think a lot of us would have considered Berhalter a bad hire for the Nats based on his performance here but with that being said, he’s still a better coach than Caleb Porter.

15. TRUJDUB21

TRUJDUB21 Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Sep 28, 2021
    Why ? I think we can win our group and we absolutely need to if Netherlands plays as expected

16. TRUJDUB21

TRUJDUB21 Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Sep 28, 2021
    I didn’t listen to the gm at work like I did the Japan gm

something told me it wouldn’t be worth it

let’s just hope we come out strong at the WC

17. Paul171121

Paul171121 Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Dec 14, 2018
    I'm probably the biggest Gregg fan, because I thought he did a great job with the budget available here. But I knew going into these games that he would try to produce chemistry with guys he would hope work (Long and Pepi) instead of trying to perfect the system as available. The players not wanting to try (probably Gregg and them are equally at fault there) doesn't help assist those players that Gregg is trying to get going.

It would be unreasonable for Long to start or even make the roster at this point. A bad centerback partnership is doom for any Gregg team, and Long has been dreadful though not aided by a disinterested midfield. McKenzie and Zimmerman will be the starters with maybe Richards in a game.

Pefok will make the team as an emergency striker, but Jesus or Brendan will start at the 9 in the group stage. I like Haji, but doubt he makes it.

Still excited if this midfield is up for it, but I'll need to not be on twitter to keep my hopes up. It will be a weird and wild world cup.

18. TKyle

TKyle Moderator
    Staff Member

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Dec 28, 2014
    Nordecke’s Porch
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I hope to God we play with more urgency and spirit than we saw today and against Japan. No one of Saudi Arabia’s players plays outside of the kingdom (which seems weird) and we can only get a draw? That’s why (among other reasons) I don’t think we’ll win our group. Not with England in it.

I don’t have much confidence in our squad. One of my hopes is that, as Hamburglar pointed out upthread, England and Wales aren’t playing well. Maybe we can steal a point off England and draw vs Wales or Iran while defeating the other of those two. We’ll see.

19. TKyle

TKyle Moderator
    Staff Member

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Dec 28, 2014
    Nordecke’s Porch
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nothing is a step below a shot of Malort.

20. TKyle

TKyle Moderator
    Staff Member

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Dec 28, 2014
    Nordecke’s Porch
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Here’s a scary thought.

If we go three-and-out at the WC, I don’t see Ggggg keeping his job.

If the Crew don’t make the playoffs, we’re certainly hoping CB9000 loses his job.

Certainly Earnie Stewart is aware enough not to hire Caleb Porter for the USMNT job, right? Right? [emoji33]

the_rickler repped this.
  21. zman31

zman31 Member+

May 5, 1999
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This game was as bad, if not worse than the Japan game. Learning that KSA was short about 5 key players from their qualifying campaign firmed up that opinion. You could see we had some advantages in individual players but as a team we just couldn't do anything.

Reyna off after 30 minutes for what has since been reported as muscle tightness and precautionary reasons. Not good.

We obviously miss Musah much more than even I, a big Musah supporter, realized. I thought we'd get a bit more from McKennie in Yunus's absence, but that didn't happen.

Pulisic continues to be a whiny bitch and I dislike him more and more each time I see him play.

Only positive to take form these last 2 games is that Turner is sharp and I think has to be the #1 for the WC.

22. Kyle Crew

Kyle Crew Member+

Feb 23, 2013
    Columbus, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #2472 Kyle Crew, Sep 27, 2022
    Last edited: Sep 27, 2022
    Yeah, I feel like sentiment is changing on Pulisic.

Here’s a thought I’ve had for a bit now. When he was at his best in Dortmund, he played on the right. I’d prefer Pulisic go back to the right and Aaronson play on the left.

Also, quite shockling, his numbers are almost identical at Chelsea as they were in Dortmund.

Dortmund
    7,495 mins (127 apps) / 19 Goals / 26 Assists

Chelsea
    7,184 mins (123 apps) / 25 Goals / 19 Assists

On one hand, he’s consistent. On the other, he hasn’t improved in 3+ years. That’s concerning.

23. the_rickler

the_rickler Member+

Feb 9, 2013
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Bez needs to sign him asap. Get it done

Ball Kicker repped this.
  24. Paul171121

Paul171121 Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Dec 14, 2018
    Doyle and others are big proponents of moving him to the right. Two things about moving him to the right: 1) The Weah, McKennie, and Dest trio over there has been good; and 2) have we ever seen pulisic cross the ball consistently. Pulisic may be best off the bench, as that is where he has landed with many coaches. He seems to not fit any system.

25. hangthadj

hangthadj Member+

A.S. Roma
    Mar 27, 2001
    Zone 14
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Co-signed. In fact, I am on record on these boards saying I'd rather have Berhalter continue to manage the Crew rather than Porter.

Porter already had his chance with the U-23's and failed spectacularly, and embarrassingly despite his reputation as a molder of youth at a Akron. At least Berhalter will get to dance and disappoint us all in November. Porter failed a generation of US players with his nonsense.