USMNT: The Berhalter Era pt. 1/ World Cup 2022 /Controversy

Discussion in 'Columbus Crew' started by hardhead, Dec 2, 2018.

1. DrunkandDisorderly

Mar 17, 2008
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
  2. POdinCowtown

POdinCowtown Member+

Jan 15, 2002
    Columbus
    There's a big difference between asking for 66 mil and getting it. It's possible USSF is under pressure from sponsors to settle the case but they shouldn't pay more than 20 mil tops. If they go to trial, they have a good chance of winning and trial would be well after the virus has settled down.

3. Bill Archer

Bill Archer BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 19, 2002
    Washington, NC
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No better place to put this st the moment, and I cant find anything linkable yet but the court has just granted USSF summary judgement dismissing most of the womyn's case.

Done, finito, thanks for playing.

The only thing not dismissed is the Title VII complaint regarind equality in travel perks, hotel rooms, etc.

Bye Felicia.

4. Hamburgler03

Hamburgler03 BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 31, 2000
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  5. puttputtfc

puttputtfc Member+

Sep 7, 1999
    At least we know the women were offered the same structure as the men and turned it down for personal job security. Odd behavior by a group that pats themselves on the back for inclusion.

Bill Archer repped this.
  6. KCbus

KCbus Moderator
    Staff Member

United States
    Nov 26, 2000
    Reynoldsburg, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sorry about their damn luck.

Here's a snippet from Yahoo!'s version

In particular, the judge pointed to a “history of negotiations” where the USWNT had sought more guaranteed compensation than the riskier pay-to-play structure in the USMNT’s contract. The USWNT “cannot now retroactively deem their CBA worse than the USMNT CBA by reference to what they would have made” under the men’s contract, the judge wrote.

Loosely translated... you can't sign a contract that prioritizes guaranteed money over big paydays and then demand big paydays. Which, any idiot could have figured out months ago.

I'm on their damn side, long-term. They just don't have a leg to stand on as long as they have the exclusive contracts that limit the player pool. Open it up for true competition, and let the coaches decide who gets called up. Do that, and I'm all for equality in pay. The stuff about travel accommodations and per-diems should be fixed, and most likely will be. But the USWNT has been barking up the wrong tree the whole time.

Kryptonite repped this.
  7. kgilbert78

kgilbert78 Member+

Borussia Mönchengladbach
    United States
    Dec 28, 2006
    Cowlumbus, OH
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In any new contracts, I'd like to see the guarantees removed. We'll have a better national team going forward. I understand why Soccer House did this--the players need a steady stream of income to even consider playing and there is no league in the US paying a wage that these players can live on. USSF did something similar for the men back in the 1990s, before MLS.

Don't forget, in the older days of our other pro sports, that players would have other jobs--especially in the NFL. It wasn't always a full time job. The one I remember was George Blanda being an exec with REA (Railway Express Agency).

Support directly to the women's league(s) might prove more successful (assuming USSF actually has any money).

I am all for fairness. The travel stuff and per-diems should be the same. That said, "equality" is not always fair. Getting the exact same pay as the men? It should depend on revenues, IMHO. It's not fair to demand the same pay for a world championship as Spain got--because the revenues were different. Same percentages--yes. But, you don't get the same pay at McDonalds as you do at Ruth Chris'. Different revenue streams.

Kryptonite repped this.
  8. LaMacchia

LaMacchia Member+

Jul 12, 2008
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So... appeal?

9. Bill Archer

Mar 19, 2002
    Washington, NC
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thats what they're saying today but then again thats what everybody always says. But firstly you're talking maybe 2 years, secondly you're running up more millions of dollars in lawyers bills and third, frankly, the judge here was pretty blunt: you can't turn down a deal and then complain that you didn't get it.

They chose guaranteed money and guaranteed jobs for a handful of women over taking their chances with an open system which might pay more but also might end up paying you nothing when some hot shot kid came along.

They've really got nothing aside from mouthing platitudes about equal pay and jazzing up the dimwitted in the media. That facts are not in their favor, the judge just told them so and they ought to listen.

10. Hamburgler03

Aug 31, 2000
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I’m going to ask a question or two of what’s the solution going forward. It’s not to take sides but curiosity.

What is the solution?

Possibly merge the players unions and one CBO?

11. puttputtfc

puttputtfc Member+

Sep 7, 1999
    We'll see. There is a handful of women that have voting power and decide on the contracts. These women have shown they don't want to give up job security and guarantees. If I'm USSF (I'm not), I very publicly offer the women the exact same contract as the men and don't budge. Why worry if Naeher and Harris go on strike when Bledsoe is better?

The real winner here is the NWSL. This court case would have drained the USSF's budget especially if there would have been a huge payout. The NWSL subsidy would probably have vanished.

KCbus and LaMacchia repped this.
  12. KCbus

KCbus Moderator
    Staff Member

United States
    Nov 26, 2000
    Reynoldsburg, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don’t see how merging the unions makes any sense for either side. The women aren’t interested in an open system with true competition for the spots, and guaranteed contracts don’t make sense for the men.

13. Hamburgler03

Aug 31, 2000
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I just mean that if the goal is truly to have equality, the contact just needs to be the same. And to do that, there’s really no need for separate unions and separate CBO right?

14. puttputtfc

puttputtfc Member+

Sep 7, 1999
    Equality was never the goal.

15. Hamburgler03

Aug 31, 2000
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    im not going to argue what is/was the goal. I’m just asking how do you make equality in pay.

16. puttputtfc

puttputtfc Member+

Sep 7, 1999
    In theory, you have one union or two unions with step up clauses. In reality, the USWNT is going to fight harder to keep the guaranteed contracts.

17. Kryptonite

Kryptonite Fancy Title Here

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Bingo. Well said, everyone.

18. KCbus

KCbus Moderator
    Staff Member

United States
    Nov 26, 2000
    Reynoldsburg, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  19. KCbus

KCbus Moderator
    Staff Member

United States
    Nov 26, 2000
    Reynoldsburg, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It seems to me that, despite public opinion to the contrary, US Soccer hold the cards here. If I were them, I would just let the current CBA expire and then say "here's the deal. No more contracts. We'll pay you the money when you get called up, and if you don't get called up, pay your bills with your club salary." I'm sure there are plenty of players in the NWSL that would love to take the spots if the current USWNT players don't want them.

kgilbert78 and Kryptonite repped this.
  20. Timon19

Timon19 Member+

Jun 2, 2007
    Akron, OH
    Uhhh...Joe? Yeah, about that? US Soccer is a private organization.

21. Bill Archer

Mar 19, 2002
    Washington, NC
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Perfect.

22. puttputtfc

puttputtfc Member+

Sep 7, 1999
    There's plenty who have earned a shot and will never get a chance. Ertz is the best of this group, no doubt, and I am a titanic fan of Heath even though she is slowing down. Everyone else is replaceable.

Kryptonite repped this.
  23. puttputtfc

puttputtfc Member+

Sep 7, 1999
    I was hoping for a better response from you.

24. Kryptonite

Kryptonite Fancy Title Here

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Democrats are praying this isn't his "I invented the internet" moment.

25. Bill Archer

Mar 19, 2002
    Washington, NC
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #1075 Bill Archer, May 2, 2020
    Last edited: May 2, 2020
    Me too. But its a beautiful afternoon and the dogs and I are farting around outside having a blast. Trolling the intellectually flaccid doesn't amuse them as much as throwing sticks, chasing birds and rolling in dirt.

And since any one of them has more mental acuity than Groping Joe, its a win-win here at Chez Archer

[​IMG]