USMNT: The Berhalter Era pt. 1/ World Cup 2022 /Controversy

Discussion in 'Columbus Crew' started by hardhead, Dec 2, 2018.

1. kgilbert78

kgilbert78 Member+

Borussia Mönchengladbach
    United States
    Dec 28, 2006
    Cowlumbus, OH
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I have heard they've been offered it--in terms of the same per diem and same percentage cut of the gate and same cut of the FIFA pool provided to each competition. But what they want is the same pay regardless of competition. That would be like paying WNBA players NBA salaries.

When you decide to have separate competitions, you are already discriminating. The USSF is paying for at least part of the women's league. I have no trouble with either. EXCEPT--The women want it separate when it benefits them but "equal" when it doesn't.

The other concern is that the current contract enshrines a certain group of players as the team. It's very difficult for younger players to break in. Eventually that will catch up with the US in world competitions. I thought it would last year (and came close vs England)--but by the Olympics--with a year's delay?

2. stanger

stanger BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 29, 2008
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    From what I heard from Jason Davis on his XFM show, what was offered to them was an agreement equal to what the men negotiated in their last deal, which is coming up for renewal soon. What the women want is equal to what the men get every time it's renegotiated.

The was it was explained, and I am certainly not an expert on it, is some of the differences in the way the Women's team is assembled, with their guaranteed players in the pool, is because they don't get the salaries from the club teams like the men do.

Which is true, but also irrelevant IMO. They should get 100% equal treatment regardless of gender. Period.

3. Timon19

Timon19 Member+

Jun 2, 2007
    Akron, OH
    Except that their desire is disingenuous in several ways. Equal pay at this point would mean a pay cut and less financial security, but they don't want anyone to think that hard about it.

4. stanger

Nov 29, 2008
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    But that's what they should be given.

But, it should be transparent, as in all the books should be opened and we should see exactly how much of everything goes where.

That will never happen. USSF will never do it.

But they should if they want the issue to go away.

5. Timon19

Timon19 Member+

Jun 2, 2007
    Akron, OH
    Sure, but that's not what they're actually asking for, and they are counting on the continued ignorance (willful or otherwise) of their adoring public.

6. POdinCowtown

POdinCowtown Member+

Jan 15, 2002
    Columbus
    They have been offered that and rejected it.

Their position is that the women's world champ (the USWNT) should be paid the same as the men's (the French MNT). Since FIFA disagrees and doesn't pay the USSF the same money as the French federation gets, the USWNT wants the USSF to make it up to them by taking it from other USSF programs.

7. kgilbert78

kgilbert78 Member+

Borussia Mönchengladbach
    United States
    Dec 28, 2006
    Cowlumbus, OH
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Define equal. That's the issue. If they want true equal treatment there should be no women's national team. If they are good enough then they should be able to play with the men. If they truly want 100% equal treatment. But they don't--can't really, as has been shown behind closed doors when the gals have played (as I recall) u-17 men's teams. An example:

https://www.cbssports.com/soccer/ne...-the-u-s-womens-national-team-in-a-scrimmage/

8. kgilbert78

kgilbert78 Member+

Borussia Mönchengladbach
    United States
    Dec 28, 2006
    Cowlumbus, OH
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Part of the issue would be sponsorship money. That's "mixed"--it means that it's hard to define what part of USSF it might apply to. Different products sponsor for different demographics (and this is something the Washington Post has noted recently).

9. stanger

Nov 29, 2008
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Equal would mean winning a WC should get you more than getting knocked out of the group stage, which is what is happening now.

10. Timon19

Timon19 Member+

Jun 2, 2007
    Akron, OH
    That isn't USSF's problem. FIFA determines that.

11. kgilbert78

kgilbert78 Member+

Borussia Mönchengladbach
    United States
    Dec 28, 2006
    Cowlumbus, OH
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not when the Men's World Cup earns considerably more than the Women's World Cup. That's also a fact. USSF can't and shouldn't pay more than FIFA supplies. If the women want to sue FIFA, have at it.

TRUJDUB repped this.
  12. TKyle

TKyle Moderator
    Staff Member

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Dec 28, 2014
    Nordecke’s Porch
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #1012 TKyle, Mar 30, 2020
    Last edited: Mar 30, 2020
    Recent posts involving a conversation about the USMNT and Steve Sampson were moved from the 2020 Other Teams News Thread to this thread. Mainly for future reference.

Carry on.

13. Kryptonite

Kryptonite BS XXV

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If anyone is purchasing from the USSoccer.com web store:

"Online orders placed between now and April 20, 2020, will be accepted and will be processed to be shipped on or after U.S. Soccer Store’s distribution facility is back online, currently scheduled for April 21, 2020. Outstanding orders will be processed first. This date is subject to change based on these evolving circumstances of COVID-19’s impact."

https://store.ussoccer.com/pages/covid-19-notice

14. Draghignazzo

Draghignazzo Member+

Feb 24, 2007
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    I'm guessing we'll see more of this as supply chain workers fall ill/test positive and a place/source is shut down for ~14 days. Hopefully, the social distancing and stay at home keep it to holes in such services causing delays and not complete disruptions*.

*Not the corporate buzzword flavor-of-the-minute Marketing/Strategy buzzword kind.

Kryptonite, Ch(Elsey) and puttputtfc repped this.
  15. puttputtfc

puttputtfc Member+

Sep 7, 1999
    It certainly was empowering and took the post to the next level.

west ham sandwich and Draghignazzo repped this.
  16. POdinCowtown

POdinCowtown Member+

Jan 15, 2002
    Columbus
    Are most warehouse/fulfillment workers off work? I know Amazon and the big shippers are still going strong.

17. kgilbert78

kgilbert78 Member+

Borussia Mönchengladbach
    United States
    Dec 28, 2006
    Cowlumbus, OH
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes, but non-essentials have a longer shipping time--as Amazon, for one, has noted on their site. I had a book originally scheduled for delivery yesterday. It shipped today. And I have no problem with that.

Ch(Elsey) repped this.
  18. Kyle Crew

Kyle Crew Member+

Feb 23, 2013
    Columbus, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No.

Tobias C and Draghignazzo repped this.
  19. KCbus

KCbus Moderator
    Staff Member

United States
    Nov 26, 2000
    Reynoldsburg, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I work at FedEx, and we're currently getting the shit kicked out of us.

I read something that Amazon is suspending their delivery service starting in... I can't remember if it was June or July.

POdinCowtown repped this.
  20. kgilbert78

kgilbert78 Member+

Borussia Mönchengladbach
    United States
    Dec 28, 2006
    Cowlumbus, OH
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's just for non-Amazon stuff, in case it wasn't clear to the reader. They were trying to compete with USPS and UPS.... They'll still deliver Amazon stuff--so the Prime trucks aren't going anywhere.

appwrangler repped this.
  21. Crewster

Crewster Member+

Jan 28, 2005
    Worthington
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Guess I'll have to wait a while for my delivery, eh?

22. west ham sandwich

Feb 26, 2007
    C-bus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I can't speak for other places. But the plan at out plant is if someone who has been working in the office test positive, there will be a complete shut down, some sort of external cleaning team will come in, there is a 4 hour cleaning process, and then we're supposed to be back up and running the next day (or next shift for line workers)

23. Draghignazzo

Draghignazzo Member+

Feb 24, 2007
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    I was completely speculating. Some places won't have pockets deep enough to function like that though.

I'm a little surprised though since there can be no knowing if the infected person infected someone else before being quarantined, so bringing everyone back together in under 24 hours seems short sighted as to the primary source of the problem, people not surfaces.

24. kgilbert78

kgilbert78 Member+

Borussia Mönchengladbach
    United States
    Dec 28, 2006
    Cowlumbus, OH
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A lot may depend on how many higher risk folks work for the company. If you don't have many, while there is a risk, it's much less (I mean death rate--not simply getting sick).

25. west ham sandwich

Feb 26, 2007
    C-bus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think the hope is that the company is taking enough precautions that any spread will have been limited; following social distancing recommendations, common area use is minimized, cleaning staff is basically here continually cleaning during office hours, etc.

But, yes, it's a risk they'll have to come right back and do it again a few days later.

Draghignazzo repped this.