USMNT: The Berhalter Era pt. 1/ World Cup 2022 /Controversy

Discussion in 'Columbus Crew' started by hardhead, Dec 2, 2018.

1. POdinCowtown

POdinCowtown Member+

Jan 15, 2002
    Columbus
    Maybe I'm misunderstanding your complaint about my posts but I'm not saying the Reynas are good people to be friends with. I'm saying the USSF reached a predetermined conclusion.

What makes you think it's otherwise? It's simply strange for what amounts to an HR investigation into an organization's employee to be published that casts aspersions on non-employees while basically admitting the original allegations are true.

2. Timon19

Timon19 Member+

Jun 2, 2007
    Akron, OH
    If this is your takeaway, you're a ********ing idiot.

3. POdinCowtown

POdinCowtown Member+

Jan 15, 2002
    Columbus
    So, nobody wants to address the substance, just hurl insults?

4. speedye1

speedye1 Member+

Dec 31, 2002
    You of all people holding someone to moral standards for what occurred 30 years ago is, well interesting.

Timon19 repped this.
  5. stanger

stanger BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 29, 2008
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The substance is the way the Renys’s tried to use their position to influence their son’s playing time.

I’m not surprised you don’t see it that way.

6. Kyle Crew

Kyle Crew Member+

Feb 23, 2013
    Columbus, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Terrible takes. Go back to the politics forum with nonsense like this.

7. chr1st

chr1st Member+

Jan 19, 2011
    Dayton
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    DrunkandDisorderly repped this.
  8. DrunkandDisorderly

Mar 17, 2008
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    chr1st repped this.
  9. POdinCowtown

POdinCowtown Member+

Jan 15, 2002
    Columbus
    Well, that's sort of the point. The Federation's lawyers wrote a report to deflect blame from Berhalter and direct it to the Reynas, who aren't Federation employees. If the investigation had found that there was no truth to the allegation of DV against Gregg, that would be one thing. But this is something else.

Not sure what you are referring to specifically, but I take it your view is that Rosalind forgave him, everyone else should too? Would your view be different if they had gone their separate ways after the incident in 1992? What if there were more incidents but all at least 20 years in the past? Her forgiveness of him is highly relevant to their marriage but the state of their marriage and their now demolished friendship with the Reynas aren't really legitimate subjects for an employment investigation.

Clearly legitimate subjects would be whether he was transparent during his application process and how he's performed his duties while a USSF employee. The Fed is acting like this is all news to them so it doesn't look like he disclosed it. That makes the attempt to give him credit for not lying about it during the application process even more absurd. Then blabbing about player issues at the cup in front of a large audience is just pretty poor judgment.

10. FootyHooligan32

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Aug 26, 2022
    “What if the situation was worse?”

Well yeah then things would be worse…

The fact that you have to conveniently ignore the relevance that it happened 30 years ago and then make up some fantasy that he’s been assaulting multiple times in the last 20 years is very telling. You’re arguing for an entirely different situation that doesn’t exist. You’re insane. Like yeah if Berhalter was doing worse things he’d be in more trouble whoopdedo

Bill Archer and KCbus repped this.
  11. stanger

stanger BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 29, 2008
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No, it isn't the point.

Gregg had a DV incident in college with his now wife of 40+ years. She didn't press charges then and there hasn't been a recurrence in four decades.

While trying to get their kid more playing time, the Renya's decided to threaten to bring the issue from 40 years prior up as a threat.

That's the point.

The USSF didn't set out with a goal to clear Gregg. That is a really stupid conspiracy theory that even you should be able to see through. Or not.

12. Kyle Crew

Kyle Crew Member+

Feb 23, 2013
    Columbus, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    PO’d just likes the attention. Quit giving it to him.

jairadballerina and LaMacchia repped this.
  13. Kryptonite

Kryptonite Fancy Title Here

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Obviously, violence in all forms is wrong.

But I'd think any moron would realize the bold part should be enough to end the story, especially considering she initiated contact between them when he had moved on.

If precious little Gio's mommy and daddy weren't so butthurt over his lack of playing time, nobody would know Gregg kicked someone who got back together with him.

Bill Archer and stanger repped this.
  14. TRUJDUB21

TRUJDUB21 Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Sep 28, 2021
    I just hope the players can excel with whoever the coach is. I just want to see a deep run in the 26WC and I have no idea who the next coach should be if not GB.

Pulisic & most others (players) seem to want GB, how many players have publicly supported him? And has anyone outside of Reyna wanted him out?

Could Reyna and GB mend things ?

Just seems like GB is not coming back and I thought he did a decent job. I think GB deserves the job myself and that the 91 incident has nothing to do with Soccer and the Reynas are trash.

Berhalter coached the team for the last four years and compiled the best winning percentage for a permanent manager in U.S. Soccer history. Berhalter, was 37-11-12 with the U.S.

15. POdinCowtown

POdinCowtown Member+

Jan 15, 2002
    Columbus
    The Berhalters and Reynas won't be cooking out together any time soon. Marsch is a good prospective hire. Maybe he doesn't do well and is let go ahead of 2026 but at this point he looks promising.

16. TKyle

TKyle Moderator
    Staff Member

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Dec 28, 2014
    Nordecke’s Porch
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No way Gggg comes back. None. That ship has sailed, sunk, and been consumed by a kraken.

Gggg some things well, I’ll give you that. A Gold Cup trophy and the first Nations League trophy. Expanded the talent pool. Developed young players. Tried to change the US from a counterattacking and set piece team to a possession team. (Albeit with limited success).

But he only met expectations in Qatar (getting out of the group was the expectation). More importantly, his veiled swipe at Gio during his speech at whatever leadership conference that was is IMO primarily what sunk him. If you’ve built your program on trust and togetherness, then pull that kind of stunt, you’ve completely undermined yourself.

And basically the USSF needed to clean house. When your GM, TD, and manager were all teammates, you can’t have objective personnel discussions. And the whole Reyna-Berhalter thing is probably untenable. Best that the federation has moved on.

17. TKyle

TKyle Moderator
    Staff Member

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Dec 28, 2014
    Nordecke’s Porch
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #3792 TKyle, May 28, 2023
    Last edited: May 28, 2023
    Time for a new thread. The Berhalter era is over. The Nats have an interim coach to guide us through the Nations League Semis/Final and the 2023 Gold Cup.

To close that chapter and move on, I've pulled what's been posted since the Berhalter-Reyna discussion died down and started a new thread for non-Gggg Nats conversation. I'll leave this thread open for any further discussions re: coach Over-holder.

The new thread is here. The conversation picks up here (at the time of this post).

chr1st, kgilbert78 and Kryptonite repped this.