USMNT: The Berhalter Era pt. 1/ World Cup 2022 /Controversy

Discussion in 'Columbus Crew' started by hardhead, Dec 2, 2018.

1. catfish9

catfish9 Member+

Jul 14, 2011
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Oh lots of people do know answers to those questions.

2. Bill Archer

Bill Archer BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 19, 2002
    Washington, NC
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I hope Claudio has a fallback career prepared, like a skill or trade or something, because his days drawing a paycheck in the soccer business are over and done. He's untouchable now.

He's even too scummy to work for Precourt.

He is indeed in a very tough spot but I'd like to know how much, or how little, he was involved in some of this.

Was he aware of his Daddy and Mommy harassing various USSF officials on his behalf? It's very hard to believe that he knew absolutely nothing of it, and a grown man has to stand up and say "Butt out" to meddling parents. It's not like he's 12.

Either way, while I agree with your point, what exactly is he going to say that isn't going to either alienate his parents or make him look like a pussy?

His best path, IMO, is to put his head down and play the damn game.

russ, Timon19 and KCbus repped this.
  3. TKyle

TKyle Moderator
    Staff Member

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Dec 28, 2014
    Nordecke’s Porch
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  4. west ham sandwich

Feb 26, 2007
    C-bus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm not defending Claudio here. But this does seem to be a common tactic of journalists; request feedback though some obscure channel and/or with an insanely short timeframe and then say they declined comment or couldn't not be reached to make it sound like the villain in their piece is knowingly in the wrong.

5. Timon19

Timon19 Member+

Jun 2, 2007
    Akron, OH
    Do you, judge?

6. Timon19

Timon19 Member+

Jun 2, 2007
    Akron, OH
    This is a common tactic among the petty bullies that hang around newsrooms these days. Not sure if Goff (or whomever...not sure if thay was his original statement or a restatement of someone else) is one of those or not.

7. speedye1

speedye1 Member+

Dec 31, 2002
    Just as shocking as 3 team groups, 32 teams advance to the 2nd round of the World Cup. 24 first/second place teams and 8 third place teams. We will all watch and attend, but the first round is a charade at this point.

8. POdinCowtown

POdinCowtown Member+

Jan 15, 2002
    Columbus
    That report sure reads like the authors were under instructions to clear Berhalter and blame Reyna. Since when is advocating for one's kid noteworthy? I'd imagine lots of parents of kids in the YNT setup do so. But somehow no others are mentioned. It's a mystery.

If USSF wants to clean up its act, what about the USWNT? Not like there isn't a lot of old girls network stuff going on there as well.

9. Timon19

Timon19 Member+

Jun 2, 2007
    Akron, OH
    Oh Jesus Christ...

russ, QuarkspaceDotCom, KCbus and 3 others repped this.
  10. stanger

stanger BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 29, 2008
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    At least your opinions are consistent

Kyle Crew repped this.
  11. Kyle Crew

Kyle Crew Member+

Feb 23, 2013
    Columbus, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What exactly does Berhalter need to be cleared of?

And you don’t see how Reyna and his wife threatening Berhalter to the USSF is an issue, because everyone does shit like that. Yeah, ok…

12. Bill Archer

Bill Archer BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 19, 2002
    Washington, NC
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Clear Berhalter of what, exactly?

From the very first he has freely admitted that he made a terrible mistake. Beyond that unless you think it was him who called the fed on himself I don't see what he has possibly done that he needs to be "cleared" of.

13. Paul171121

Paul171121 Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Dec 14, 2018
    All interviewees said that such complaints were beyond excessive. This includes not just McBride or Stewart, but also the person whom Claudio complained about the female ref to. This was then addressed as an important internal matter.

Claudio said he was willing to "proffer" evidence. Guessing he was willing to write written contentions or a statement but not be interviewed. That won't fly in this type of investigation; interview or hand over your evidence if you want to share your story.

They cleared Gregg to say he could be hired back, and the federation would not be sued. This is to try to avoid involving themselves in a tortious interference or some other state law tort regarding interference in contractual relations or dissemination of private facts case. He's probably not back unless the federation gets desperate.

russ repped this.
  14. Paul171121

Paul171121 Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Dec 14, 2018
    Claudio and his people had 2 months to write a statement knowing what could be on the table. Either he wasn't honest with his agent/attorney, or his agent/attorney wasn't thinking or went to the last gasp PR move.

15. Kyle Crew

Kyle Crew Member+

Feb 23, 2013
    Columbus, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, the investigation revealed to Claudio what he already knew he did, because he did those things. How much time does he need to respond? It’s not like this shit came out of nowhere.

16. KCbus

KCbus Moderator
    Staff Member

United States
    Nov 26, 2000
    Reynoldsburg, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Frankly, in my humble opinion, the person who's coming out of this looking a little better is actually Gio Reyna. Him diva-ing it up at the World Cup actually makes a little more sense now; he's fighting faulty wiring.

17. catfish9

catfish9 Member+

Jul 14, 2011
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The best thing for Gio is to be in europe and away from this nonsense and his parents. I'm pretty certain if daddy tried to meddle in Dortmund or another large club's roster/[playing time decision, he would be laughed out of the room.

Gio just needs to hit bangers and all will be forgiven. But I'll tell ya, it's got to be really hard to concentrate on being a world class player with all this drama surrounding you. He is still just a very young man. It will really show what he is made of if he pulls through this and is able to perform on the field.

18. kgilbert78

kgilbert78 Member+

Borussia Mönchengladbach
    United States
    Dec 28, 2006
    Cowlumbus, OH
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ...and they "will be answered on the next episode of ... Soap"

19. POdinCowtown

POdinCowtown Member+

Jan 15, 2002
    Columbus
    Berhalter pushed Rosalind down then started kicking her. He was stopped by being tackled by a bystander. Left to his own devices, he probably would have kicked her some more.

That's a lot more serious than wanting perks for your kid. Berhalter was cleared on technicalities of domestic violence. The author's position of no harm, no foul if nobody explicitly asked about it wouldn't fly anywhere else.

The report also seems to give GB a pass on his terrible decision to reveal the inner workings of the squad to some strangers while under the impression Chatham House rules would be honored.

Meanwhile they apparently go after the Reynas for various complaints that I doubt are unique to them. It sure looks like the law firm is practicing retaliation.

I agree it's unlikely Berhalter will be back but Reyna likely lost his job with Austin over the dispute with the Berhalters. Releasing the report would be evidence that he could use in a tortious interference case.

20. Kyle Crew

Kyle Crew Member+

Feb 23, 2013
    Columbus, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Reynas have probably guaranteed that Berhalter won’t be re-hired, which he almost certainly would’ve been, so they got what they wanted out of this. It’s their own fault they’re too stupid to know how to get it done without ruining their own lives.

Here is a free tip for them next time they decide to blackmail someone: instead of putting your name on a direct threat to a dude’s employer, leak it anonymously to a third party (i.e., the media) and have them talk about it. I mean, shit is simple.

As far as all the shit you said about Berhalter, having off the record comments go public isn’t he fault. Stupid to say it in the first place, but not his fault it was published.

As far as the abuse goes, we have no idea what would’ve happened. You make it sound like he would’ve beat her to within an inch of her life, you don’t know that and it’s quite the leap to make.

And they’ve been together 30 years now, kids and all that. They seem happy. Whatever happened to second chances?

I don’t want Berhalter back, but the GB haters really are trying hard to make GB out to be the bad guy here, I don’t get it.

KCbus, chr1st and Crew96Fan repped this.
  21. Paul171121

Paul171121 Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Dec 14, 2018
  22. Timon19

Timon19 Member+

Jun 2, 2007
    Akron, OH
    PO'd is exactly like the people he claims to be most against.

ZipSix, Bill Archer and KCbus repped this.
  23. Kyle Crew

Kyle Crew Member+

Feb 23, 2013
    Columbus, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Care to expand on that?

24. Timon19

Timon19 Member+

Jun 2, 2007
    Akron, OH
    No.

25. Kyle Crew

Kyle Crew Member+

Feb 23, 2013
    Columbus, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks for your contribution to the conversation.

LaMacchia repped this.