USMNT Support in Long Term Decline?

Discussion in 'USA Men: Fans & Travel' started by Thomas Flannigan, Dec 17, 2004.

1. sregis

sregis Member

Nov 5, 1999
    Hoboken, USA
    every major league and sports assoc. has been through it. as far as 99.9% of the population is concerned, this will all be forgotten by the time we qualify. the sky is not falling.

2. Bigdog

Bigdog New Member

Oct 10, 2000
    Gone Fishin'
    Just a followup to one of Tom's posts above, Brad Sherman has left US Soccer, no replacement has been named at the time I confirmed this info recently.

3. monster

monster Member

Oct 19, 1999
    Hanover, PA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [​IMG]

Big ups to the crowd that did the trick in Azteca and all those headed to B'ham!

4. Stan Collins

Stan Collins Member+

Feb 26, 1999
    Silver Spring, MD
    A dyn-o-mite posting.

5. Delta Blues

Delta Blues New Member

Jun 25, 1999
    King Willieville
    I think the continual oversaturation of DC, Columbus and Foxboro are a major reason for the recent apathy. The spreading of the wealth this time will help IMO. SLC, Birmingham, MExico in Columbus, and a couple yet to be announced. I think the three I mentioned will be well attended, and you know the Columbus match will be flippin' awesome!

6. JBigjake

JBigjake Member+

Nov 16, 2003
    Any (gu)estimates how many US supporters were at Azteca?

7. buckeye5

buckeye5 New Member

Feb 15, 2004
    DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    300, our section was 20 x 20 (row/seat) and it was about 80% full.

8. Stan Collins

Stan Collins Member+

Feb 26, 1999
    Silver Spring, MD
    I think you're right about that. A lot of people questoined B'ham when it was named a site, but I bet many will be surprised by how many folks turn out because that whole quarter of the country is relatively underserved.

If I still lived in Atlanta, I wouldn't hesitate to drive the 2.5 hrs to see that one. Contrast that to if I lived in Cleveland and was thinking about driving 2 hrs or so to see the USMNT play in a WCQ for the fifth time (against Guatemala, to keep the comparison even). I'd be more enthusiastic about the former (on the latter, I'd still do it, but I doubt I'd do it for anything other than a WCQ against a good opponent)/

9. metroflip73

metroflip73 Member

Mar 3, 2000
    NYC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    WE were loud and proud too.

Good looking out with the drum, dawgz. Nuff respect due.

Wow, never thought I'd say that to a Columbus fan.