News: USMNT roster for Mexico, T&T World Cup qualifiers released

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by deuteronomy, May 28, 2017.

1. TheHoustonHoyaFan

Oct 14, 2011
    Houston
    Club:
    FC Schalke 04
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Besler was DOTY in 2012, the year he got his first USMNT call up.

It appears that the only time Besler got respect from many in the fanbase was when Klinsmann left him off the rosters in early 2015 after the veterans lack of shape at January camp dust up. Many predicted he was done with the NT but he was soon back. Last year Klinsmann defended Matt saying he had 100% confidence in him and questioned why he was benched for a period in SKC.

Besler has been one of our most consistent CBs since he joined the senior squad.

2. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    I know you are an FCD fan, so you will on command mention Zimmerman and Hedges, but younger doesn't mean better. I don't know how anyone could argue he's not been our most consistent CB, so you would be arguing to drop our most consistent CB for a bunch of unproven MLS CB's in their mid 20's. Its an embarrassment to mention Ream in the same conversation, we know Gonzalez is only in it as well because Arena coached him in LA.

3. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Yes, he has, 2012.

I don't even understand what your point is. What qualifies a player right now to play for the NT? Somehow its not NT performance anymore? If any player should have a free slot into the 11 based on NT play the last few years, its Besler. You seem to be getting fooled by MLS media. We know the media loves the two in Dallas because of the whole narrative around that team, and Opara gets more praise from MLS media because he makes more powerful defensive plays, despite Besler performing better. Besler is the best CB in MLS, he's just not going to triumph in these splash plays over taller, aggressive, more physical players. Those who are watching for subtle, smart, consistent play will see it.You seem to be in the Arena camp here, and I think the Arena camp is going to be the losing side here. Not often a team with average talent can abandon their most consistent defender, and not have their performances drop off.

Sebsasour repped this.
  4. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Note that I said we could take Ream to these WCQers instead of Besler because we already have four other really capable CBs in Cameron, Brooks, Gonzalez, and Hedges on the roster. Ream can be a LB/CB option in a crisis.

I personally have Cameron, Brooks, Gonzalez, and Hedges all ahead of Besler on the depth chart to 2018. Hedges was MLS defender of the year in 2016. I thought Besler had a down year. Just a matter of opinion. And after those 4, any other roster slots should be guys we're developing for the future like CCV, Zimmerman, Miazga, EPB, etc. I'm not playing those guys in a WCQer yet. [I'm also not calling in Steve Birnbaum, Chad Marshall, and guys of that ilk anymore.]

It also has a lot to do with the fact that I'm tired of Vermes' nonsense. Done zippo to develop the best defensive prospect in MLS. I'm sorry, but SKC can handle a game or two being short a centerback........................just like FCD is going without Hedges or Zimmerman. Just like plenty of MLS clubs go short-handed during international windows.

5. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Vermes craziness should have no effect on Besler's place within the NT. And you are essentially saying you don't care about consistent performances for the NT. Whatever, all these older guys are on their last cycle anyway, regardless of if they are in the team anymore or not, whether it be Dempsey, Besler, Cameron, Howard, Gonzalez, but people have been really unfair to a player who's done nothing but put in great performances for our NT. If he played in Europe or played a more aggressive style, he'd be regarded as our of our best players, ever. All you gotta do is look at the perception difference with our fans between Cameron and Besler. Cameron is adored because he plays for a mid-table team in England with worse NT performances than Besler. People want to get rid of Besler because he's not young anymore, he's not a flash player, and he doesn't play in Europe.

Sebsasour repped this.
  6. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    #256 Clint Eastwood, Jun 3, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 3, 2017
    I don't think Besler's performances have been as good as you do. Just a matter of opinion. I'm not saying I don't appreciate Matt's performances for the USMNT over the years. I'm saying that right now I select Cameron, Brooks, Gonzalez, and Hedges over him. Cameron/Gonzalez to play RCB, and Brooks/Hedges to play LCB.

I think Hedges is better and 3 years younger.................................

I should also note that I'm not one of these people that believes in rotation thru CBs. A coach's first task should be to identify his top CB/GK trio. Instead Klinsmann chopped and changed and chopped and changed. If our #1 keeper is Tim Howard and our top CB combination is Cameron/Brooks.....................then I want to play that trio together as much as possible until the 2018WC. At this point in the cycle we shouldn't be in the experimentation phase at the back.

That doesn't mean there isn't time for experimentation (Gold Cup and some friendlies for instance). I just want those experiments to be predominantly with younger players.

juveeer, deuteronomy and CU soccer repped this.
  7. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    The study I saw showed him being more goal effective on the left but more 'team effective' when played centrally.

8. CU soccer

CU soccer Member

Mar 28, 2005
    Panama City Beach
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Speaking of Besler, he's looked great in the 1st 1/2 of this SKC vs Minn game.

Feilhaber looks even better. Putting on a passing clinic and has created a couple good chances.

9. schrutebuck

schrutebuck Member+

Jul 26, 2007
    The MLS Reddit page spotted some interesting information about the Besler situation during the Sporting KC-Minnesota United pre-match on ESPN.

Julie Stewart-Binks reported that Seattle requested that Bruce Arena release either Dempsey or Morris from US camp for their midweek match against Columbus. Stewart-Binks stated that Arena denied Seattle's request.

My interpretation - Arena doesn't rate Besler as highly as he does Dempsey and Morris.

juveeer repped this.
  10. Sebsasour

Sebsasour Member+

New Mexico United
    May 26, 2012
    Albuquerque NM
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's possible, but we have 6 CB's on this team and only 4 forwards and we still don't know if Wood is 100%. A CB was probably more expendable.

Also Bruce might just hate The Soudners.

EDIT: It's also important to note that releasing Besler for the game today still makes him available for Trinidad on Thursday. Releasing Morris or Dempsey for a Wednesday night game would basically rule them out

deuteronomy and tomásbernal repped this.
  11. schrutebuck

schrutebuck Member+

Jul 26, 2007
    It was for Seattle's match on Wednesday, May 31 - Columbus beat them 3-0.

Sebsasour repped this.
  12. Sebsasour

Sebsasour Member+

New Mexico United
    May 26, 2012
    Albuquerque NM
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah just realized that, my bad

13. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    Brooks is so mercurial, he can be a liability for the NT in a tournament.

JJV1994 repped this.
  14. JJV1994

JJV1994 Member+

Jun 16, 2013
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CD Chivas de Guadalajara
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    What's the update on his injury status? I don't think you guys want to see Gonzalez on the field at the Azteca.
    At least I wouldn't.

juveeer repped this.
  15. juveeer

juveeer Member+

Aug 3, 2006

Not sure about this after last night.

We will see over the next week or so.

16. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    We don't know much yet.

JJV1994 repped this.
  17. Jazzy Altidore

Jazzy Altidore Member+

Sep 2, 2009
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Gonzos best performance in the jersey was in Azteca last cycle.

Editor In Chimp and deuteronomy repped this.
  18. Editor In Chimp

Editor In Chimp Member+

Sep 7, 2008
    Gonzo and Besler were awesome in that game.

Jazzy Altidore repped this.
  19. Jazzy Altidore

Jazzy Altidore Member+

Sep 2, 2009
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes they were. Zusi had a great track back defensive play to save a goal.

20. Midas Mulligan

Midas Mulligan Member+

Jul 24, 2013
    NYC
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You mis-spelled Bradley. /s

I've just given up when it comes to hoping we field rosters with our best players.

Graham Zusi is literally a nepo-start on his club team. And he keeps showing up on rosters. I hate watching him and his timid, wimpy, unathletic presence.

I don't even know what Bedoya does or is capable of doing other than run hard and tweet.

Gonzo is a little more understandable, but he's still poor and good for at least one legit "WTF" (caps intended) moment per game.

We suck. We could suck slightly less if we picked the actual better players.

Oh, and RIMANDO? I wouldn't let him play at Chelsea Piers, much less a real match where the results matter for something.

sXeWesley and chad repped this.
  21. chad

chad Member+

Jun 24, 1999
    Manhattan Beach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I just wish ONE journalist would call Bruce out for his comment that we need creative players like Feilhaber, but then not calling in Feilhaber -- especially in light of our struggles to create scoring chances and Feilhaber's form and performances. It's bizarre. He's bringing in some straight garbage instead.

CU soccer and sXeWesley repped this.
  22. Editor In Chimp

Editor In Chimp Member+

Sep 7, 2008
    It's been stated elsewhere, but its far more believable that Benny is just a gigantic tool than it is that Bradley, JK and Arena all successively stopped calling him up post WC2010 despite his ability and skillset he brings to the table.

Statman, juveeer, ttrevett and 2 others repped this.
  23. chad

chad Member+

Jun 24, 1999
    Manhattan Beach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's more believable to me that Feilhaber was a tool, that JK is a crybaby, and Dempsey/Bradley feel threatened by him now.

Mine has more nuance. Yours is fandom.

mike4066 and CU soccer repped this.
  24. Editor In Chimp

Editor In Chimp Member+

Sep 7, 2008
    Wait what?

Why would Dempsey or Bradley feel threatened by Benny Feilhaber? The last 2 captains? The guy who's going to be our leading goal scorer, ever-that guy you think gives a crap about Benny running his mouth? Michael Bradley, for all his current flaws, dealt with half the fanbase accusing him of only playing because of his dad being the coach. You think he cares what Benny Feilhaber says as a role player coming into US camp?

That makes no sense at all. Occam's Razor suggests that Bradley identified chemistry issues in 2011, JK called him in, saw those same issues (and then watched him get kicked out of a friendly), and then Arena called him in and saw the same things.

juveeer, Statman, orcrist and 1 other person repped this.
  25. chad

chad Member+

Jun 24, 1999
    Manhattan Beach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes, chemistry issues with MB90 and The Rappin' Dempsey.

I just said that. We have evidence that Feilhaber has matured and is playing well. The other dudes are sucking. Maybe the wrong conclusion is being drawn from the chemistry experiment.

CU soccer repped this.